Rules for Officiant

johnscafide

A wish can last a day. Disney wishes last forever!
So we tentively booked our officiant. We (more like I) are really excited about it (read my pj later for more details) and can't wait to get our planner to really get down to business.

However, my officiant is a christian minister, and while I understand Disney's non-affiliation with any religion, I am a little confused as to the rules.

Examples... Are we allowed to have gospels read and have the wedding closely resemble a christian ceremony at the Pavilion?

I mean, it wouldn't be a full out 30 minute mass or anything, but if God was brought up during a speech, I didn't want Disney to freak.

It might be a dumb question, and Heather said it wouldn't matter, but I'd figure I'd ask the Dis...

Thanks!!

I don't think the problem is on Disney's end - i think it's with the actual religious institutions. For example, I am Roman Catholic, and I cannot be married by a Catholic priest in the Wedding Pavilion and have it be recognized by my church. However, I can still be married by a Catholic priest in the Wedding Pavilion. I would just be doing so with the knowledge that my church wouldn't recognize it any more than if i was married on a beach or at a courthouse. I don't think the Wedding Pavilion being classified as "non-denominational" precludes you from incorporating elements of your beliefs into your ceremony. I've seen pictures of a Jewish ceremony at the WP with a chuppah in them that the couple paid to have brought in. I would ask your planner to be sure, but this is what I have been told, and what I read in the Passporter as well.

What pp said. Disney doesn't object-- some churches don't want to recognize ceremonies held outside of an actual church. I had a very religious ceremony. Don't worry at all!

I agree, you've probably nothing to worry about. I think it would only matter if it's a Catholic priest marrying you, and more often than not I would think he would not be allowed to marry you outside the Church (it probably varies according to order and/or parish).

I agree, you've probably nothing to worry about. I think it would only matter if it's a Catholic priest marrying you, and more often than not I would think he would not be allowed to marry you outside the Church (it probably varies according to order and/or parish).

But that is a rule that has NOTHING to do with Disney - just the Catholic Church. And they CAN marry you, it just won't be recognized by them (the Catholic church) as a valid marriage. For example, we have a family friend who is a Catholic Priest, and he is more than happy to perform our ceremony. It will be religious, though not a full mass, and some elements of a Catholic wedding service are simply not possibly at the WP; however we will be having our marriage blessed by him in our home parish when we return. Disney does not prevent you from having as close to a Catholic ceremony as you can get - the Catholic church prevents any ceremony from being recognized that is held outside of a Church.

Now, you may have a hard time finding a Catholic priest who is WILLING to perform a ceremony outside of a church for you, but they still can do it. It's up to them if they want to do it for you.

Excellent! Thank you Dis Peeps!

Heather was right (should have just listened to her), but I just wanted to put it out there.

He isn't catholic, which is good, so it's not going to disrupt what he believes is right by having it at a church to be recognized. He's all in favor for Disney, and very excited about it.

Thanks again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter