• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rules for "fraternizing" with the CM's?

Corl4

Mouseketeer
Does anyone know the "rules" for interaction between the CM's and guests when off duty? Last cruise, I saw several of the photographers in the lounges at night and wondered what they are and aren't allowed to do.

Anyone know?

Thanks!

On one of our cruises, we became friendly with the piano player from Sessions. On his night off, he hung out with us in the bars, so they're at least allowed to sit and have a few drinks with the passengers. Beyond that, I don't know. I've never read or been told anything specifc about this.

we also swam in the pool Adult... with one of the comedians they had on the ship , was a great guy
peter

Hi Corl4.

Does anyone know the "rules" for interaction between the CM's and guests when off duty?

I didn't know the guests were ever ON duty...

I saw several of the photographers in the lounges at night and wondered what they are and aren't allowed to do.

They can lead someone to a camera, but they can't make them photogenic...

Tricky question since many of us have "befriended" CM's - just remember that what is very innocent to us might not be to DCL and could jeopardize the CM's job.

My best answer is to let them approach you and take their lead - they know what they can/can't do or say or be. And since you are the guest, they do not want to offend you.

Rae

I can't speak to DCL specifically, but generally "professional" positions and officers are allowed in the guest areas and can mingle with guests. "Worker" type positions - cabin stewards, dining room servers, kitchen workers, engine room guys, bartenders, kids club workers, etc - those people tend to not be allowed in any guest area.

I know on HAL they have specific guidelines for the positions who are allowed in guest areas - which specify their dress, conduct, etc. I imagine DCL has the same set-up.

Many of the performers are treated as guests - they stay in guest staterooms (rather than crew cabins), and are guests except for during the couple of shows they perform. At dinner they're assigned to a table just like any other guest. We pay for our cruise with cash or dvc points - they pay for their cruise with their talent for a couple of shows!

Now I know that Michael has to keep practicing his piano - maybe someday it will be Fidelio and Michael for Dueling Pianos!!!

Rae

Hi wdw1972.

"professional" positions and officers are allowed in the guest areas

I have a vivid imagination. Please define "professional position"...

Originally posted by Buckaroo's Dad
Hi wdw1972.

I have a vivid imagination. Please define "professional position"...
Use that vivid imagination of yours! ;)

A friend of mine cruises several times a year for free! Her husband is an ER doctor and he serves as the ship doctor in retun for a cruise for himself and his wife. They usually get a smallish guest cabin, dinning is the same as the paying passangers. Last year they did a 14 day Panama Canal trip with Holland, this past Spring they did a 10 day Med. cruise. The cruise line also picks up the airfare to and from the ports. A pretty sweet deal!

Morning, Rae!

just remember that what is very innocent to us might not be to DCL and could jeopardize the CM's job.

By the way, did DCL "buy" that line about you choking on a shrimp? Yes, my dear. When you told them in your deposition the Keith-Hamilton-Cobb lookalike CM had to reach down your throat with his tongue to help dislodge the crustacean...

Originally posted by Corl4
Does anyone know the "rules" for interaction between the CM's and guests when off duty? Last cruise, I saw several of the photographers in the lounges at night and wondered what they are and aren't allowed to do.

Anyone know?

Thanks!

Um, it's called the Disney Cruise Line, sounds like you may want to rename your cruise to the Love Boat???

BD~ any comments??

Jeanny :wave:

Good morning BD--- no comments?? not yet?? you must be tired this morning. I thought I gave you a good lead in! :jester:

Have a good day...off to work I go!!

Jeanny :wave:

BD - no KHC look alike for me! I wanna the real thing! And you know even if I did see him, I probably would never approach him or even say hello. We met James Earl Jones at the DC airport once and I could only smile widely. But then again, when I saw Meatloaf at a book signing - as soon as he came out, I lead the crowd in shouting and screaming!

So you just never know!!!!!

I like that "The Love Boat"!!!!!!!

Hey, Relling Twin! Mary, how are you? I think that being an RN, you could figure out a way to get a "sweet deal" like that ER doctor did!!! Give my love to Ave and the rest of the October cruisers!!!

Rae

We were talking to a server, who we'd gotten several times, and were talking about the "interaction" question. When I mentioned that on my high school senior trip (a million yrs ago...and on NCL) and that we (a group of recent high school grads) were allowed to hang out in the crew bar, where round after round were drunk, the DCL employee was shocked. So apparently, some interation is okay, but too much is frowned upon. He said that if a crew member was caught with a guest in their quarters that ... and then he used a word that was in his native language...but I think it meant something like "public execution at dawn." :rolleyes:

In my earlier days (10 years ago) I dated a CM for more than 2 years and when I cruised on the ships he was working on we had to "sneak" around. He was a manager at Le Bistro on NCL and he was still not permitted into passenger areas, so I don't think they had different rules for different "ranks".
Although, I was permitted to visit him on the ship with a guest pass every weekend when it was docked in NYC from spring through the fall.
Ah, the good 'ol days!!!
:p

Originally posted by emmak
Ah, the good 'ol days!!!
:p

I know!!! They were good but now we are old!!!!

Nice to have memories though - don't you wish we could keep our knowledge and just get the minds and bodies back!

Take care!
Rae

Rae,
Tell me about it!
The memories are still there but the body has shown the wear of 2 births and too much fried food!!!
Oh to be 20 again!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter