• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rude people taking photographs during shows on Dream.

We were on the 7/24 cruise too. It was our 14th DCL cruise and I actually thought that there were less people taking flash pictures than on previous cruises. We were early diners and sat in the lower left section of the theater for each show. We did notice that during the Golden Mickeys, there was an older man taking lots of flash photos in the 2nd row. Twice I saw DCL employees in black pants/blue shirts ask him to stop. He then proceeded to stand in the corner of the theater and take photos of the young children he was with, blinding us behind them. I think he was just clueless and really rude to continue. The other shows I really didn't notice anyone taking flash photos. I am a scrapbooker and take photos during shows, but keep my LCD screen off and do not use a flash.

We were fortunate that we didn't run into any rude guests, though there were a couple obnoxious ones that obviously drank too much and wanted a lot of attention at the adult comedy shows.

Why doesn't everyone step out from behind the camera, sit back and enjoy the show. Let your mind remember something instead of your camera. Not only can the flashes and screen be distracting, how about the distraction the person sitting next to you taking the pictures makes by trying to get the shot just right and you end up with a lens or arm in your face.

Just back from the Dream...as others have said, more than once, before each show, an announcement was made about no photos, or videos being taken during the show.

1. for the safety of the performers
2. so as not to disturb others trying to watch the show.

Announcement did highlight the fact that the digital displays used on modern camera's are distracting to those sitting behind/around you.

Which is very true.

and while I'm at it...how about not TALKING during the shows...had several ladies behind us who had to read, out loud, everything displayed on the video screens...and make a comment on everything that happened. A few glares finally got them to quieten down.

This falls in line with dress code, sun lounger hoarding, smoking on the balconies, etc. Until the cruise lines enforce it, we are all stuck with it. Coming from a workplace safety background, rules and policies are in place for reasons, if not having pictures from a show is going to lessen your experience, well then I don't know what to say. I see tons of pictures from shows on trip reports, I get it, its tempting to do, we just don't do it. Besides the safety aspects, these shows are probably considered trademarked property of Disney and maybe they don't want it published all over the intrnet, who knows.

How is it comparable to smoking on the private balcony's? DCL allows guests to do that, so there is nothing to really to enforce.

You will all be happy to know that I never use a flash in the shows, and I always make sure that the display screen on the back is off. The only time I ever look at the display is to make sure I got a particular shot and even then its while it is pressed against my chest so nobody can see it. I even put the camera on "quiet" mode so that when it's taking pictures the shutter operates much more silently than normal.

The problem is that most people in the shows don't have a camera that can handle low lighting situations and need the flash to compensate for every picture or else none of them will turn out unless the stage is really bright. It doesn't make it right, and I agree it's a total pain in the a$$, and I'd complain as well if someone was bothering me.

As it is, I had to pick up a 70-200 f2.8 lens for my camera rig to get some of the low light shots in the theater to turn out without a flash. The lens in itself was about $2100. These were taken with no flash sitting in the upper half of the WD theater on the Wonder. Unfortunately you won't get these with a standard point-and-shoot camera and definitely not without a flash. Here are a couple:

dsc_8307.jpg

and

dsc_6860.jpg

At any rate, there are going to be rude people everywhere. I just wish people would be a little more aware of their surroundings and display some courtesy. Just have to suck it up and make the best of it I suppose. Sitting here complaining about it is a bit of a downer, honestly.

I'm sorry you think picture taking is rude. I'm a scrapbooker and I document everything in life and I know some people will never get that. Nor do I expect them too.

I spend my time enjoying life as it happens, not trying to "document" it for later, so you're right: I don't get it. :confused3

Love the pictures 3cstuart! I think that is part of the magic! Having pictures to look back at is part of life! I can't even imagine not having photos and home videos. Yes, be respectful to the perfomers and others around you, but please capture those memories!!:tinker:

This falls in line with dress code, sun lounger hoarding, smoking on the balconies, etc. Until the cruise lines enforce it, we are all stuck with it. Coming from a workplace safety background, rules and policies are in place for reasons, if not having pictures from a show is going to lessen your experience, well then I don't know what to say. I see tons of pictures from shows on trip reports, I get it, its tempting to do, we just don't do it. Besides the safety aspects, these shows are probably considered trademarked property of Disney and maybe they don't want it published all over the internet, who knows.

Well, looking at the bigger picture, when you put thousands of people together from all places, customs, walks of life etc. A few are bound to forget (on purpose or not) that there are other people around you, including the staff trying to make your vacation pleasant, and should refrain from being, well... rude. Which is important to just head into your cruise (or any vacation) trying not to let these things get to you. They are gonna happen, even with staff enforcing the "rules" which are really just common sense things we should all do anyway.

You'd be surprised how many people have no idea how even the basic functions of their camera work. They literally just "point and shoot." So I can understand them not turning the flash off ... they don't know how! :confused3

That said ... they have absolutely no business taking pictures if someone tells them "no flash photography" and they don't know how to turn the flash off. But at that point, they just assume that their reason for ignoring the rules is good enough.

3DStuart: AMAZING photos! :worship: Do you have a Flickr account or some online place where I might see more?

How is it comparable to smoking on the private balcony's? DCL allows guests to do that, so there is nothing to really to enforce.

Please revisit my post it says cruise lines, not Disney. I have been on other cruise lines where smoking on the balconies is not allowed. My point is there are many rules CRUISE LINES post but don't enforce. As a whole the industry needs to enforce the rules they set, if not, its a free for all.

You'd be surprised how many people have no idea how even the basic functions of their camera work. They literally just "point and shoot." So I can understand them not turning the flash off ... they don't know how! :confused3

wish they'd also turn off the shutter sound and all the camera sounds for that matter. No real need for these...are annoying and distracting.

I wish people wouldn't use the flash, my DD's dance and it is very hazardous to the dancers and other performers. People just don't think about the dangers, just that they want the pics and why can't they take them, etc. I also had an episode at WDW where someone was taking flash photos on the HM ride. That hurt our eyes with the darkenss and all of a sudden a flash. Finally someone in the doombuggy next to them said something to the. DH saw spots for hours.

"Any guest using a flash will have their camera confiscated and thrown overboard"

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::thumbsup2

Makes me think of the announcement on the plane leaving Vancouver last week. Please turn off all electronic devices to include iPones, iPads, ........ basically, if it has an on/off switch - it needs to be off.

I don't get how people continue to flash AFTER they've been told that it might be dangerous for the performers. Annoying the rest of the audience is one thing, but it sounds as if they are blatantly disregarding the performers. If you don't know how to turn your flash off, don't take pictures at the shows until you've learned how.

Are there ushers who can ask the person to stop or else they will be removed? I think if they threatened to remove people from the show then it wouldn't happen. Unfortunately some people don't respond unless their 'fun' is in jeopardy.

There are ushers, and most of them do remind them not to use the flash, but many of the offenders are sitting in the middle of the rows and are impossible to talk to. Whether that's intentional of them to bury themselves in inaccessible areas or not is debatable.

Thanks. Yeah sure. http://www.stuartandmelissa.com

Pictures from the '09 St Croix cruise are with my good camera, however I only had the good lens for the '11 Panama cruise so anything prior to that won't be as good as those ones.

Nice! I do love looking at others photos. We were on the Magic in October of 2009 as well, week of October 14th(ish). We went to memorialize my father who introduced us to DCL on the 1 year anniversary of his passing from cancer. He passed on 10/13/2008, his birthday was 10/15 and I believe we pulled into St. Croix on his birthday, my youngest son spotted a double rainbow as we were coming up on St. Croix and said it was grandpa Mickey (dad's name) and great grandpa Butch (dad's dad who passed in 2006) who's birthday was 10/13. Pretty touching moment for me and my oldest.

In fact, looking at your photos, we may have been on the same cruise. I see one of your photos is of the parasail guys hauling tail out of the harbor at Castaway Cay, I have almost the same exact photo. Also I see you have a shot of the Wonder at PC at the end of your cruise, she was there at the end of ours as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter