• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rude or just socially unaware?

If this wasn't an anonymous message board there is no way I would be saying this but here goes.

It is possible she realizes much less then you think. I'm going to use myself and my DH as examples. We don't have friends besides each other. To be honest I don't even know how to really make friends. I know that sounds weird from someone in her 20's but its true. I have had "friends" as in the people I talk to at school and play with at recess but never really the kind you play with after school and just randomly do things together. I managed a few times during school to do things with other students but I can literally name all the times I have done something out of school with others they are so few. Now at work I have coworkers that I talk to about non-work things from time to time but never go out after work or anything. I have no idea how people get started doing those things. My husband in contrast just has no interest in friends. He has been asked by people at his work from time to time to do things but always says no, not because he doesn't like them but he generally wants to do something else and just doesn't think anything of declining.

Some things are extremely stressful for me. Office parties... I have no idea what is appropriate to wear and stress over that, the informal more pot luck kind or when we go out to a restaurant as a group I have to watch everyone else to figure out what they are ordering or taking to know what is appropriate. So although I manage in these situations it takes work. I am constantly watching myself and what I'm doing. I can't tell you the number of times someone says hi to me in the hall way as we are walking past and by the time I process what they said (especially if I was thinking about something else) they are too far away to say hi back so that although I know I should I probably seem really rude to people.

I have no idea what time is appropriate to call or stop by someones house, actually I would probably never do that except for family that I know about when they wake up so its not such an issue but if for some reason I needed to, I have no idea.

The idea of just asking people for things, even things I need. For example when I email someone with questions for a work project that they are responsible for and they don't get back to me it is incredibly stressful for me to go and ask them for them again. I know I need to do this but I have such a hard time doing so. Lately in the group I'm in now that this happens in alot others I'm working with have started doing some of this for me because they realize I tend not to. I feel bad and I know I need to do better but it stresses me out so much to think of doing it... especially for those people I have never actually met (since I"m new to the project).

I realize there is probably something wrong with me that makes me like this but I have no idea what that is. I never will. Why because interactions scare me so the chances of me asking someone (even a doctor) about what is wrong with my scares me to no end because what if something ISN'T wrong with me? What if I'm just stupid and rude and there really isn't anything wrong??

None of you even know me and I know I can just stop coming here or get a new user name and I'm still nervous about even posting this message. No one knows any of this about me except my husband. Not even my parents know.

After reading your post, I don't think you compare to the OP's neighbor. You seem to be very aware of your what you are able to do and not do. How you interact with people even if its not the way you might want to . The fact that you know or feel that you are not socially aware means that you are more aware or at least you care about what you are doing than the OP's neighbor.

If this wasn't an anonymous message board there is no way I would be saying this but here goes.

It is possible she realizes much less then you think. I'm going to use myself and my DH as examples. We don't have friends besides each other. To be honest I don't even know how to really make friends. I know that sounds weird from someone in her 20's but its true. I have had "friends" as in the people I talk to at school and play with at recess but never really the kind you play with after school and just randomly do things together. I managed a few times during school to do things with other students but I can literally name all the times I have done something out of school with others they are so few. Now at work I have coworkers that I talk to about non-work things from time to time but never go out after work or anything. I have no idea how people get started doing those things. My husband in contrast just has no interest in friends. He has been asked by people at his work from time to time to do things but always says no, not because he doesn't like them but he generally wants to do something else and just doesn't think anything of declining.

Some things are extremely stressful for me. Office parties... I have no idea what is appropriate to wear and stress over that, the informal more pot luck kind or when we go out to a restaurant as a group I have to watch everyone else to figure out what they are ordering or taking to know what is appropriate. So although I manage in these situations it takes work. I am constantly watching myself and what I'm doing. I can't tell you the number of times someone says hi to me in the hall way as we are walking past and by the time I process what they said (especially if I was thinking about something else) they are too far away to say hi back so that although I know I should I probably seem really rude to people.

I have no idea what time is appropriate to call or stop by someones house, actually I would probably never do that except for family that I know about when they wake up so its not such an issue but if for some reason I needed to, I have no idea.

The idea of just asking people for things, even things I need. For example when I email someone with questions for a work project that they are responsible for and they don't get back to me it is incredibly stressful for me to go and ask them for them again. I know I need to do this but I have such a hard time doing so. Lately in the group I'm in now that this happens in alot others I'm working with have started doing some of this for me because they realize I tend not to. I feel bad and I know I need to do better but it stresses me out so much to think of doing it... especially for those people I have never actually met (since I"m new to the project).

I realize there is probably something wrong with me that makes me like this but I have no idea what that is. I never will. Why because interactions scare me so the chances of me asking someone (even a doctor) about what is wrong with my scares me to no end because what if something ISN'T wrong with me? What if I'm just stupid and rude and there really isn't anything wrong??

None of you even know me and I know I can just stop coming here or get a new user name and I'm still nervous about even posting this message. No one knows any of this about me except my husband. Not even my parents know.

Kamik- reading your post made my heart really go out to you. :hug: I can not imagine what you are going through and how what seems like a simple task to me may not feel that way to you. I know a lot of us have issues you can't see, but they are issues none the less and we should all be more sensitive and patient to our neighbors, co-workers, family, etc. You never really know what someone's situation really is. :hippie:
OP-Sorry about your situation. I realize there is no right answer here for you since you do live so close to this person and have to be civil to a certain degree. A gentle correction (not in front of others) or maybe a book on etiquette with certain passages highlighted? I don't envy your situation but I hope it gets resolved. :flower3:

With people like that, especially people my own age and older, I always kind of assume they have an undiagnosed neuro thing, like Asperger's or something. Sometimes people that off beat really can't control thier impulses.

I agree. That kind of behavior is just too consistent to be sporadic. I have a friend who is rude and as my DSs would say, "socially awkward". Interestingly enough she sees "slights" in everyone else's behavior but is clueless when it comes to her own. I don't think that she does it on purpose and if others she thought she was rude she was be shocked and sad, but she has no insight. Her DSs seem similar. She has an older sister with schizophrenia, so being socially awkward is certainly better than being incapacitated with a severe mental illness, but I think you are right. That isn't to say that they can't "learn" however.

I wonder, though, if ALL adults can do it? I mean, is it impossible to consider that some adults are functionally autistic and simply may not notice this stuff? This person sounds like an autistic adult... :confused3

Eh, I'm sure not ALL adults can, but I wouldn't be so quick to give her a pass. I know a guy, a great guy really, but very selfish. He's always the first one in line at a buffet, or if it's a scout function, we always let the kids go first, he'll be smack dab in the middle of the kids, filling his plate. I always attribute it to the fact that he was the youngest of a large family, and he always had to assert himself to get what he wanted.

Kamik- reading your post made my heart really go out to you. I can not imagine what you are going through and how what seems like a simple task to me may not feel that way to you. I know a lot of us have issues you can't see, but they are issues none the less and we should all be more sensitive and patient to our neighbors, co-workers, family, etc. You never really know what someone's situation really is.

Thank you, reading your post and some of the others here actually made me start to cry.

I remember when I was really young not having much for issues at all I grew up in a neighborhood with no kids at all (well the "kids" were all my sisters age - at least 10 years older). So until I started preschool I was never around people my own age. I think I was ok for a few years then because I had friends in school and there really wern't social norms for me to screw up and worry about yet because well we were like 3.

Then when I started to realize I had no friends I grew into a little ***** I realized eventually that I was doing it on purpose. A part of me was mean to everyone and had the attitude that I didn't need friends becuase then at least it was my choice to not have friends not that something was wrong with me. When I got to high school I tried to start over since most of the students were people I didn't know and just ended up having a really really hard four years with the only thing that made those years of my life worth it was that I meant my husband.

College was alot better since people stop with the being mean just to be mean by that point, and everyone was new so there weren't anyone that remembered how I used to be. I think it also helped that I went to a geek school so there were alot of socially awkward people. I still really didn't have friends to just hang out with but at least had people I could ask for notes if I was out of class and work on projects with etc. Now I"m out of college and its just me and my DH, well and my side of the family that I do things with sometimes. My oldest sister doesn't really have friends either... I don't know if she did or not since she is 17 years older then I am but I never really remember her having boyfriends or even just friends I wonder if she is like me. The two in the middle and all my neices (children of the middle sisters) all have friends and social lives though.

The thing that scares me most is that when I have children that they will end up the same way. Since I don't have friends they won't be around little kids or see how friends interact and will end up just as messed up as I am.

I found it very interesting reading your post. We always here the side of the person who is frustrated with people who seem 'socially awkward" but rarely does anyone who feels socially awkward reveal the difficulties they have dealing with social situations. From the sounds of your post, you do work very hard navigating the social issues that you confront on a daily basis. You also seem like you would like things to 'be different'. I wonder if there is a "Life Coach", etc or even a therapist of sorts who could guide you through these obvious obstacles. A person who could help you with "This is what you do in this situation", so even if it doesn't come naturally to you, you could learn and behave "as if" it does. I think when you learn these skills they will become second nature, like riding a bicycle. You are young. You have a whole life in front of you and what your describing can lead to an isolation of sorts. Also, your husband, who is similar to you provides that level of comfort because he is the same way.

You sound very much like my oldest son. I always suspected he had Aspergers, but the pediatric psychiatrist said he had anxiety. He's 20 and has never had a girlfriend, although I know he would like one. I think he's not sure about how to get one, which is what it sounds like you are with friends.

Why don't you start by asking a co-worker to join you for lunch some day? Keep it simple and low key and don't be offended if you are turned down, try again another day.

Thank you, reading your post and some of the others here actually made me start to cry.

I remember when I was really young not having much for issues at all I grew up in a neighborhood with no kids at all (well the "kids" were all my sisters age - at least 10 years older). So until I started preschool I was never around people my own age. I think I was ok for a few years then because I had friends in school and there really wern't social norms for me to screw up and worry about yet because well we were like 3.

Then when I started to realize I had no friends I grew into a little ***** I realized eventually that I was doing it on purpose. A part of me was mean to everyone and had the attitude that I didn't need friends becuase then at least it was my choice to not have friends not that something was wrong with me. When I got to high school I tried to start over since most of the students were people I didn't know and just ended up having a really really hard four years with the only thing that made those years of my life worth it was that I meant my husband.

College was alot better since people stop with the being mean just to be mean by that point, and everyone was new so there weren't anyone that remembered how I used to be. I think it also helped that I went to a geek school so there were alot of socially awkward people. I still really didn't have friends to just hang out with but at least had people I could ask for notes if I was out of class and work on projects with etc. Now I"m out of college and its just me and my DH, well and my side of the family that I do things with sometimes. My oldest sister doesn't really have friends either... I don't know if she did or not since she is 17 years older then I am but I never really remember her having boyfriends or even just friends I wonder if she is like me. The two in the middle and all my neices (children of the middle sisters) all have friends and social lives though.

The thing that scares me most is that when I have children that they will end up the same way. Since I don't have friends they won't be around little kids or see how friends interact and will end up just as messed up as I am.

Again, just reading this response indicates that you have a lot of insight. You can get help with this. Not that you need to make changes for other people but for yourself. You may find life more fulfilling.

Again, just reading this response indicates that you have a lot of insight. You can get help with this. Not that you need to make changes for other people but for yourself. You may find life more fulfilling.

I agree. Kamik, you are obviously intelligent and articulate as well as being insightful about this issue. While you may feel awkward, you are clearly NOT oblivious to social cues!

This reminds me of something I just saw at Trader Joes this weekend.

There was a family- mom, dad and little boy. They were circling the free sample stand (which happened to be yummy ice cream). They went up multiple times which was a little rude, but whatever...the real kicker was when they went down the isle to eat their treats I saw them throw down their little cups and spoons on the ground and then grab their cart to circle back for more.

I mean really? They provide a garbage next to the stand for this purpose and to watch the parents do it and then the son watch them and repeat their actions just makes you realize why there are so many weird people in the world.

After reading your post, I don't think you compare to the OP's neighbor. You seem to be very aware of your what you are able to do and not do. How you interact with people even if its not the way you might want to . The fact that you know or feel that you are not socially aware means that you are more aware or at least you care about what you are doing than the OP's neighbor.

As another person with some of the same problems, I can tell you that it is usually not that easy. I can't speak for Kamik, but I can tell you that in my case, I study etiquette obsessively, and have become pretty adept at determining what the norm is via observation. (I've also become a really good judge of character because of how much time I spend observing people.) However, when it comes to putting my observations into practice, I almost invariably flub it up because I'm nervous and overly self-conscious. The comment that DH most often would pass along was that I annoyed people in those situations because I was trying too hard. Other people say that it makes them uncomfortable to socialize with me because I hold myself at a distance and I'm so watchful that they feel like I'm judging them.

The thing is, these days the "rules" for social interactions tend to be somewhat loose. It isn't 1880, when the rules were the rules and nothing ever varied. People like me need ironclad rules if we're going to manage to participate without annoying other people, because the subtlety of circumstances is largely lost on us.

My DS is a diagnosed Aspie, and DH is convinced that I have it, too, but to a lesser degree. Most importantly in my case, I grew up with a mentally-ill mother, and so I never saw adults socialize when I was a child. I also didn't socialize outside of school after my father died, because my mother was very unpredictable due to her illness. Anything I know about social rules I learned from books, and there is a bit of a gap in translation between how it works in theory and how it works in real life. There's also the issue of class: I grew up working-class but now I'm middle-class, and there are some social chasms to cross there, too. (I fall into them face-first with great regularity.)

The OP can help her own situation by setting very specific boundaries for her interaction with this family. Regardless of the reason she is having difficulty, being very direct about what she expects will help, because the neighbor will either learn to do as asked, or she'll be offended and go away.

I wonder, though, if ALL adults can do it? I mean, is it impossible to consider that some adults are functionally autistic and simply may not notice this stuff? This person sounds like an autistic adult... :confused3

I think you may be right. My son has Aspergers and I have to tell you if it wasn't for me and my family this kid would be doing what she is doing. It took me and is still taking me to point out social dos and don'ts. May be she wasn't taught any of this stuff and since she MAY be autistic she doesn;t see it. I know my son doesn't see it at all.

I would just start pointing it out to her, like 'you do know it is rude to ask someone to take your kid somewhere every week without a return favor, right' and keep saying things like that to her every time she does something like that. She may have a light bulb moment. IF she doesn;t start catching on after a while, I'm talking a long while, then may be she really is rude. I wish you luck.

My daughter went out with a boy who had aspergers, anyway despite the fact that I know it was wrong ( and not because of the aspergers) he was quite inappropriate at times, so around the 3rd time I met him I sat him down and said I realise you dont always know what is appropriate what would you like me to do when you are being rude or saying something really inappropraite, anyway together we decided that I would tell him but also explain why it was wrong......

Maybe she doesnt know how to 'act' and maybe if she has a closer 'friend' on the street they could explain things to her...maybe she has never been taught.

Angie

As another person with some of the same problems, I can tell you that it is usually not that easy. I can't speak for Kamik, but I can tell you that in my case, I study etiquette obsessively, and have become pretty adept at determining what the norm is via observation. (I've also become a really good judge of character because of how much time I spend observing people.) However, when it comes to putting my observations into practice, I almost invariably flub it up because I'm nervous and overly self-conscious. The comment that DH most often would pass along was that I annoyed people in those situations because I was trying too hard. Other people say that it makes them uncomfortable to socialize with me because I hold myself at a distance and I'm so watchful that they feel like I'm judging them.

The thing is, these days the "rules" for social interactions tend to be somewhat loose. It isn't 1880, when the rules were the rules and nothing ever varied. People like me need ironclad rules if we're going to manage to participate without annoying other people, because the subtlety of circumstances is largely lost on us.

You sound exactly like me. I watch and observe other people - that's the only way I've figured out how to act and what to say, what is socially acceptable and what is not. The problem for me comes in when I'm faced with a new situation in which I don't have a 'script'. Then I have no idea what to do or say and I get very nervous and anxious.

Most of the time though, I feel like I do ok. I'm not a social butterfly by any means, but I get by. However, I do have a very difficult time making friends and I've gotten little feedback as to what the problem is. It's not as though I can just go up to people and ask them what I'm doing wrong, although there have been times when I've been very tempted. What little feedback I have gotten though, is that I'm 'difficult to talk to'. Well, it's no piece of cake on this end, either. :guilty:

There's also the issue of class: I grew up working-class but now I'm middle-class, and there are some social chasms to cross there, too. (I fall into them face-first with great regularity.)

I had an issue with this one when I started working on co-op jobs. I probably made a few big mistakes and I know I narrowly avoided a few. Like I didn't realize that when the department is going out for lunch you socially are EXPECTED to go, not just if you want to. I didn't like the place they normally went to and tended to take a shorter lunch so I was going to skip it figuring why spend money (and quite a bit since they would get beers which brought the per person price up when I don't drink) on food I didn't like much (the place was a bbq joint... I don't like bbq sauce which ruined most of the food) and have to stay at work later because of it...

Luckily I realized I kinda had to go before declining.

Neither of my parents had the professional type job where this kind of thing would ever come up so I never had this issue before. I'm glad my school had mock interviews for me to try a few (and see what the other people wore etc.) to get me ready for interviews.

The biggest scare I had with this job though was when I had to fill out the forms for my security clearance. I thought this problem may keep me from getting a job because I had no idea who to put for references for things like every school I have been to for X years, someone who lived with me in every location for 7 years, someone from each job I had in something like 10 years... I didn't keep in touch with most of these people. (I had some of the job ones and a few others but someone who lived near my college dorm room??) Luckily I got it even having left a few of those blank.

Maybe she doesnt know how to 'act' and maybe if she has a closer 'friend' on the street they could explain things to her...maybe she has never been taught.

I don't know how I would react to someone telling me things I did weren't right. I think it would depend on who it was and a bit of how they approached it. If it was someone I was closer too (my husband can do this without a problem) I would probably be ok. But if it was someone like my boss I would probably be so mortified that I would be too anxious to come to work without bursting in to tears thinking about what the person may be thinking about me that I would have to quit.

I don't know how I would react to someone telling me things I did weren't right. I think it would depend on who it was and a bit of how they approached it. If it was someone I was closer too (my husband can do this without a problem) I would probably be ok. But if it was someone like my boss I would probably be so mortified that I would be too anxious to come to work without bursting in to tears thinking about what the person may be thinking about me that I would have to quit.

You know, while I would love to get some constructive criticism, at the same time I kind of feel like you do. I'm sure it would be hurtful, yet something I do need to hear. I've often thought that it would be nice if there were some sort of 'social coach'. Someone I could hire who could pose as a friend and come out to dinner with us and another couple. She/he could observe our interactions and tell me what I'm doing wrong. DH doesn't seem to think I'm doing anything wrong, but there has to be a reason why I can't click with any of his friends' wives.

I don't know if there is such a thing or not and even if there were, I probably wouldn't have the guts to do it. Also, I'd be so self-conscious, I wouldn't be acting 'natural' anyway. It's something to think about at any rate. And for those of you who have the social gene....here's a career opportunity for you! :)

OP - I think you might be talking about my uncle's ex girlfriend! (j/k) A lot of the same behaviors, like the taking of food when it's not technically a leftover yet, etc. We all tried to like her, honestly, but some of the things she said were downright rude, and she had a tendency to make off hand comments about my large family, although hers was just as large! :confused3

To other pp's....thanks for telling your side of things....it definitely helps when you look at things from the perspective of whether or not it's something that can be helped. :grouphug:

Personally, I find myself leaning towards the Autism spectrum too.

The thing with rude people is that it is usually intentional. People who are rude usually do it to show they are dominent over the people around them. It's sort of a non-verbal way to say, "He world, look at me, I don't have to follow your rules". With them the digs tend to be deliberate though, this neighbor doesn't sound mean spirited.

On the other hand, being thoughtless usually rolls around in the annoying category. Being late, forgetting to say Thank you ect. is the sort of thing people without manners do, but it isn't usually disruptive like this. I mean, even someone without manners knows 6am is too early to ring on a bell or that he/she should wait until the party is almost over to lay claim to the leftovers.

I often wonder what happened to all the Autism Spectrum kids of my generation and older. I grew up in the 70's and I remember kids who would probably be diagnosed today, but who weren't back then. Those who were mild enough probably never got any care at all and just made their way in the world the best they could. A DF of mine has a brilliant son with PDD. He is handsome and an 4.0+ high school honor student and if she never told me I would probably never have noticed anything other than thinking the kid is a little aloof. I mean there are little things, like him saying or doing mildly inappropriate things because he can't really read the people around him and how he glides around the periphery of conversations making commentary but never really engages in the conversation. But he has had tons of help and guidance and his Mom always asks him to modify his behaviors. I would suspect that if this kid didn't get the help the school and my DF provide, he might do stuff like this.

If this was a situation I had to deal wth I would make allowences and let things slide, if not for her then definately for her kids.

Well I guess we all learn something new every day! First off, I'll share my ignorance -- I thought Boys Scouts was a U.S. only thing. Being an only child (female) and having an only child (female), I guess I just never had cause to question any further than the U.S. :laughing:

Second, my initial reaction to the OP was that the person was rude, but too many instances of a lack of social grace made me think there might be more to this. Unfortunately, if she is indeed autistic and her children aren't, they have no role models and will end up behaving inappropriately in social situations, assuming it's not inappropriate, because mom and dad behave that way. I would hope someone (perhaps a teacher/guidance counsellor) would step in and have the children evaluated.

And for the other posters who mention being on the spectrum or having social anxiety issues, I would have never guessed. I've read many of your posts in the past and always find them insightful, informative, well thought out and articulate. No signs of social anxiety come through to me.

Every time I think I know it all, I wind up back at the bottom rung of the ladder. :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter