Rude cab-drivers

TrixyA

Mouseketeer
We use taxis occasionally at WDW and, up until last summer, the cabbies have been very nice.

Last summer, we left Epcot to return to POFQ and the cabbie told me that it was a flat rate of $20 to the resort from Epcot. I was tired and not thinking, but realized after the fact that he cheated me. The fare should have been calculated on the meter (which he never activated) and probably would have been much less than $20, even with a tip. This was a "yellow cab".

How is it best to handle a situation like this? Should I argue with the cabbie? Get out of the taxi and get a different one? (although I'm pretty sure the car was moving when he made his cost announcement) Take his cab ID # and report him after the fact? Call Mears on my cellphone at that very moment?

We also got a cabbie that didn't want to accept my AMEX when we arrived at our destination. His window displayed all the major credit cards, which I pointed out to him. He took the card, but was very rude about it.

Again, what's the best way to handle this?

I'd like to know to.

also, as far as cc I know the local cabbies in philly don't like taking them and most of the time deny payment with a cc. The fee comes out of the cabbies pocket.

I travel alot for work and sometimes take cabs from the airport. Some use the meter and some will do a flat fare. One time I had a cab from NYC to Newark Airport, the driver offered a $50 flat fare or the meter, which was a gamble with rush hour traffic. We gambled on the meter and it turned out to be less. It probably depends on if they are regulated. Many do not take credit cards. I was in one last week in Minneapolis where he took my credit card but called in the numbers over his radio, which made me nervous because every cab on the radio heard my numbers.

I'd like to know to.

also, as far as cc I know the local cabbies in philly don't like taking them and most of the time deny payment with a cc. The fee comes out of the cabbies pocket.

MEARS charges the cabbies and towncar drivers 10% for CC transactions. So obviously, they would prefer cash payment. As far as the meter thing, I think that is a must here in this area. If you encounter a cabbie not using the meter, contact MEARS with your issue. CAB #, date, time, originating point, and destination, name of driver.

If you get a rude cabbie and you are in a Mears taxi, get the cab number and the Mears telephone number. The first time you have a phone available call the 407-422-2222 number and ask for the dispatcher. Give him the cab number and register your complaint. Chances are he will put you on hold and you will talk to the Driver Manager. Let him know what happened. After talking with you he will, more than likely, call the driver or request the driver to come into the office for a talk. Chances are he will give you credit for your ride toward a future ride.

This is only true in a Mears cab. They have to run the meter. If they don't get out at the destination and walk off for a free ride. The driver won't question it because if the meter isn't going the law will not help him out and Mears will get very upset with him so he will have to drive off.

Mears take Amex, MC, Visa and Discover. if the driver does not want to take your card pick up your cell phone and call 407-422-2222 and tell the driver you are calling the office. He will than accept the card. Do not put a tip on it or do not tip him.

If you ride in any of the other company taxis that you might be put into at WDW you won't be able to do anything to take care of the driver. Just suck it up and make sure you get in a Mears Transportation cab. The only Mears cabs that are authorized to pick you up are the checker cabs and the wheelchair cabs. Other Mears cabs can only pick you up if the arrangements were made in advance. Like the driver picking you up who brought you from the airport, the city or Universal and you pre-arranged your trip with him.

Any company that accepts credit cards, cannot put limits on the minimum charge amount, ask for proof of identity with a signed card and cannot refuse to take a card per the license agreements with the credit card companies.

Thanks everyone! Very interesting information. I did not realize that cabbies get charged when CC is used.

It was my understanding that all "yellow" cabs at WDW are Mears. Do I need to watch for "Checker" markings to ensure a Mears cab?

Thanks again!

You have to watch for "checker Cab" on the vehicle and a Mears logo on the left and right front side panels. Do not get in a yellow "Check-her" cab or one that has a "check mark and her" after it. The gypsies go to great lengths to make their vehicles look like a Mears taxi. Disney runs them off at the most popular cab spots, but there are to many to keep track of.

Edd--Do the taxi drivers take debit cards as well? Or is that a bad idea?:confused:

Any company that accepts credit cards, cannot put limits on the minimum charge amount, ask for proof of identity with a signed card

I always thought that too, but when visiting in California last year, every place asked for our drivers license. They couldn't have known that we were out of state. I asked one of the stores, and they said it was policy in California. I didn't bother to call our credit card because everyone asked for our ID.

As for no minimums. It is most credit card rules, but some mom and pop stores often do it, and while you can tell them it's against the credit card rules, they don't seem to care. I suppose they can be reported, but I would hate to be responsible for the credit card company pulling their credit cards, and they losing business.

Sometimes the cab doesn't have a cc machine. Drivers have to read the cc number, over the radio, to someone in the office and then wait for it to be processed. Takes time and not very secure.

I can understand using a cc for an expensive, airport ride, but you may waste time using a cc to pay for taxis. Much easier to have some cash on hand.

You have to watch for "checker Cab" on the vehicle and a Mears logo on the left and right front side panels. Do not get in a yellow "Check-her" cab or one that has a "check mark and her" after it. The gypsies go to great lengths to make their vehicles look like a Mears taxi. Disney runs them off at the most popular cab spots, but there are to many to keep track of.

Edd - can you clarify?
Are you saying that the only legit taxis in the WDW area are Mears? That every other taxi is a gypsie (illegal) taxi?

Most taxi drivers don't know the difference between a debit and a credit card so they probably accept them as well. Usually drivers will just write the cc up and submit it for approval later. Some will call for clearance on the phone, but there is a $75.00 floor limit or guarantee on the credit card if the driver doesn't want to call it in right than. Most will use the call in to try to convince you it will take extra time to get the cc approved hoping you won't want to wait and come up with cash.

Disney authorizes Mears cabs on all their taxi stands. Like they are the official taxi of WDW. Other companies hang around the area, paying individuals on the bell stand to call them when the doorman gets a decent ride. This is forbidden by Disney, but it still happens. If a Disney employee puts you in a cab other than Mears you can dispute that with the emnployees supervisor. Also Mears cabs are required to use the meters. If you think a Driver is going to give you a flat rate that is less than what the meter will run, you must be kidding yourself. Also if the meter is not running the driver has no way to collect a fare by calling the sheriffs department. With Mears you have plenty of ways to dispute the payment or the ride. Anyone else can tell you to go jump as they are not regulated like the Mears cabs.

All Mears drivers are required by Mears to have a credit card machine. Do not accept that excuse from a Mears driver.

I always thought that too, but when visiting in California last year, every place asked for our drivers license. They couldn't have known that we were out of state. I asked one of the stores, and they said it was policy in California. I didn't bother to call our credit card because everyone asked for our ID.

As for no minimums. It is most credit card rules, but some mom and pop stores often do it, and while you can tell them it's against the credit card rules, they don't seem to care. I suppose they can be reported, but I would hate to be responsible for the credit card company pulling their credit cards, and they losing business.

State laws can overrule the regulations in place for the credit cards, so in CA, it could be possible, I'd have to look.

For the minimums, if companies aren't following the rules, then I have zero issues reporting them. The rules are there for a reason. I rarely carry cash, even outside of Disney (love the KTTW card), so when a place doesn't take cash, it annoys me and I often won't patronage the location.

Most taxi drivers don't know the difference between a debit and a credit card so they probably accept them as well. Usually drivers will just write the cc up and submit it for approval later. Some will call for clearance on the phone, but there is a $75.00 floor limit or guarantee on the credit card if the driver doesn't want to call it in right than. Most will use the call in to try to convince you it will take extra time to get the cc approved hoping you won't want to wait and come up with cash.

Disney authorizes Mears cabs on all their taxi stands. Like they are the official taxi of WDW. Other companies hang around the area, paying individuals on the bell stand to call them when the doorman gets a decent ride. This is forbidden by Disney, but it still happens. If a Disney employee puts you in a cab other than Mears you can dispute that with the emnployees supervisor. Also Mears cabs are required to use the meters. If you think a Driver is going to give you a flat rate that is less than what the meter will run, you must be kidding yourself. Also if the meter is not running the driver has no way to collect a fare by calling the sheriffs department. With Mears you have plenty of ways to dispute the payment or the ride. Anyone else can tell you to go jump as they are not regulated like the Mears cabs.

All Mears drivers are required by Mears to have a credit card machine. Do not accept that excuse from a Mears driver.

I'm sorry, but I did not understand this answer. So, I have to ask my question again - Are you saying that the only legit taxis in the WDW area are Mears? That every other taxi is a gypsie (illegal) taxi?

Don't try to put words in my mouth. Read it as I wrote it and if you don't understand it, I am sorry.

Don't try to put words in my mouth. Read it as I wrote it and if you don't understand it, I am sorry.

I didn't want to assume what you meant, no need to be testy. As you aren't clarifying a post that can be read more than one way, well . . .
:confused3 :confused:

So I looked around with Google and, per Trip Advisor, turns out that Mears is the official cab company for WDW.

Still wondering if all other cabs are "gypsies," but based on these being listed at the MCO website, it doesn't look that way. Ace Metro/Luxury Cab, Diamond Cab Company, Star Taxi, Town & Country Transport and Yellow/City Cab.

I didn't want to assume what you meant, no need to be testy. As you aren't clarifying a post that can be read more than one way, well . . .
:confused3 :confused:

So I looked around with Google and, per Trip Advisor, turns out that Mears is the official cab company for WDW.

Still wondering if all other cabs are "gypsies," but based on these being listed at the MCO website, it doesn't look that way. Ace Metro/Luxury Cab, Diamond Cab Company, Star Taxi, Town & Country Transport and Yellow/City Cab.

It's possible that these other cabs can legally drop someone off at WDW, but not pick them up.

For example, I can take any type of cab I want to the airport from my home/office/street corner, but only 'airport cabs' can use the cab stand at the airport to get me home.

It's possible that these other cabs can legally drop someone off at WDW, but not pick them up.

For example, I can take any type of cab I want to the airport from my home/office/street corner, but only 'airport cabs' can use the cab stand at the airport to get me home.

True . . . That sure creates a big disincentive to take you/me to the airport or to a WDW resort. The driver has to make a run back with no fare. :offtopic: It might make an interesting moot (aka "mute") court case about predatory business practices.

Driving passengers from the airport the six companies listed on the airport site, Maybe five because Quick Cab just recently received authorization to pick up as a demand cab and may not listed on the site, a driver cannot pick up at Disney unless he has a pre-arranged reservation. Many times I have seen drivers pick up a ride at the airport at 1200 and have a reservation for a return at 1400 from Disney. However, a driver cannot take a passenger out to WDW and than sit on a stand to carry a ride back to the airport. In fact a driver cannot sit on any Disney stand unless it is empty of Mears cabs and that doesn't happen often.

Didn't mean to get on you so strong, but sometimes posters try to work me into a corner and the poster may be a local who doesn't like what I am writing. In other words another driver.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter