Rude adults

Sometimes, I think all manners are left at the gate.

We were getting on Casey Jr. DS uses a GAC, so typically he gets seated first. So, he choose the monkey cage and starts climbing in. This woman freaks out!!! I mean it was crazy. Her husband tells her its not big deal pick another one. She starts "nevermind the ride is ruined".

I smile nicely and tell her "there is plenty of room for all of us" Then she asked very rudely "why does he get to pick frist" So I tell her "he is a close personal friend of Mickey, didn't you know"

The thing is there were other cages and I would have move DS but she started acting all crazy.

So my story actually happened at WDW last weekend, but it fits right in with this thread about self-absorbed rude people. We were standing in the queue at Soarin with hundreds of people. The line spanned 8-10 people across. We had been waiting about 10 mins of the 60 min wait when the 3 y/o child in front of us announced she needed to use the restroom. Her parents responded with "you'll have to hold it". Well about 40 mins later the child could not hold it any longer and proceeded to have an accident.

Now accidents happen and it was definitely not the child's fault. Unbelievably, the parents cleaned up the child but left the large puddle on the floor for the rest of the hundreds of guests behind to walk through, most of whom were in sandals or flip flops. :confused3 We actually saw the Mom approach the CM at the front of the line and anticipated her soliciting help, but to our amazement she said "party of three." Well, we very loudly announced the circumstances to the Cast Member so that the family could hear the exchange and actually walked the CM back to the area in line so it could be cleaned up.

As we stepped out of the queue and headed directly to the loading area through direction of the CM, we gave a smile to the family that was now behind us. I just hope next time they think a bit more about public health concerns:sick:

OH GROSS!!! I can't believe parents would just LEAVE their child's URINE for others to walk in! Nasty nasty nasty.

These are the kinds of stories that make me want to cary hand sanitzer and wet wipes EVERYWHERE, even though my kids are now in elementary school, LOL!

A N D ... what is WITH them making a THREE YEAR OLD wait to go potty! At that age, when a kid says PEE ... you run to the nearest potty-ing receptacle. Even if it is a bush in the middle of the desert on the long drive to Disneyland. Since when is a ride more important than sparing a 3 year old's embarassment (yes, they can and do get embarassed of their accidents at that age).

Unfortunately I had a similar experience with strangers putting their hands on my child. We were waiting to go on TOT and we were in front of the elevators where you stand in the numbered lines. After the CM told the line next to us to enter, my DS9 accidentally started to go in and the gentleman that was in the line next to us actually grabbed my sons shoulders to hold him back. I was LIVID. :mad: I said something to my DH behind me but did not make a fuss because my DS9 was not hurt. I did not enjoy that particular ride, though, because I was so angry that I could hardly even think straight. I am just amazed at what some people think they can get away with. Of course, I guess I was the one this time that "let" him get away with it. I think I was in too much of a shock that someone would put their hands on my child right in front of me.

I think I was in too much of a shock that someone would put their hands on my child right in front of me.

That pretty much hits the nail on the head as to why so many children don't speak up and say something if an adult or other child touches them. It's probably just the pure shock of having something like that happen & not fully seeing how to react. If we as adults are dumbfounded and confused, imagine how the kids feel! :sad2: EXAMPLE: My 4 year old was punched in the face by an 11 year old at his old daycare as I arrived to pick him up. Very shocking thing to see, hard to know how to react.

Boy, we sure need those happy Disney memories this year! That's the great thing about Disneyland, it seems to replace so many of the crummy moments in life with the wonderful, joyful moments we experience there! :love: :hourglass :love:

Unfortunately I had a similar experience with strangers putting their hands on my child. We were waiting to go on TOT and we were in front of the elevators where you stand in the numbered lines. After the CM told the line next to us to enter, my DS9 accidentally started to go in and the gentleman that was in the line next to us actually grabbed my sons shoulders to hold him back. I was LIVID. :mad: I said something to my DH behind me but did not make a fuss because my DS9 was not hurt. I did not enjoy that particular ride, though, because I was so angry that I could hardly even think straight. I am just amazed at what some people think they can get away with. Of course, I guess I was the one this time that "let" him get away with it. I think I was in too much of a shock that someone would put their hands on my child right in front of me.
I'm not sure how this relates (to rudeness). What was he trying to "get away with"?

Certainly he shouldn't have touched your son, but was he purposefully inappropriate or just not thinking. (Note: only in the past 10 years or so would such an incedent - as I'm reading it -be a topic.) I wasn't there, so if i'm reading this wrong, i'm sorry for bringing this question up.

I with Hound a bit on this one.....

Not sure how it relates to rude behaviour as such, may have been just a reflex action of seeing someone about to do something they weren't supposed to. Probably a little inappropriate as there was no chance of your son coming to harm from his misdeed, but a far cry from some of the other postings here.

But as Hound said its a little hard for us to judge as we weren't there.

Well I can see why disneyfanatic4 was upset. I don't think it's right to ever put your hands on someone else's child. Apparently these adults were never taught to keep their hands to themselves!

If you want to say something that's okay. Like "oh it's not our turn yet!" Or something, but grabbing them by the shoulders is not appropriate. Would you be okay with, as an adult, a stranger grabbed you by the shoulders? Ever? Not me!

I think what Hound and I are trying to get at is if you saw someone elses child about to do something that would cause them harm you would stop them whether verbally or in more extreme situations physically. Its often a reflex thing with kids (especially if you have your own) you do it because children do not have the judgement capabilities of adults (well most of us anyway). You would not be so quick to do it for an adult, I just hope that we are not turning into a world where we let harm come to other kids simply out of fear of reprisals of going near someone elses kids.

I am not condoning this strangers behaviour, I agree he should have said something, not done something. If it was just a reflex action he should have immediately apologised. But in the context of this thread (kids having chairs removed from under them, kids physically removed from a ride) I just feel its not in the same league.

Kiwi stated my thoughts exactly.

BTW - I am a parent & like many "dads".....i volunteer coach various Y league teams (that my 8 y/o son is on).

I'm having to "touch" kids often, just in the last week (in coaching basketball for 8 & 9 y/o), I have:

- yank them off the court so they don't get run over.
- pull their arms up over their heads so they understand how to play defense in the post.
- show how to "pop" the wrist for a proper jump shot.

Granted it's all in the open (thank god) & obviously never inappropriate.....but touching occurs. The day that anyone shows concern or anger towards me (in regards to this) is the day I would "retire" from all volunteer work forever.

I guess I just don't see how this situation was harmful. Sounds to me like the child was accidently moving forward in line when they weren't supposed to. It's not like they were falling off of a ride, now that is dangerous and a harmful situation. In this case saying something is all that would be needed. Or let the parents handle it. Just as I wouldn't want to be grabbed for just moving forward in line, I wouldn't want anyone doing that to my child either. Using ones voice works wonders for situations like that! JMO of course.

Hound, the things you describe as being a coach is also a different story IMV. A coach isn't a stranger and they are trying to teach a sport. I can understand that also. But in public I let the parents do the parenting, and I'll speak up if I must, but I wouldn't touch a strangers child.

I hope this doesn't turn into a battle, but I have to agree with Jen. As an adult you wouldn't want some stranger to grab your shoulders because you made a mistake, now children are much more sensitive imagine how they feel? It was inappropriate and the man hsould have said...It's not your turn yet. It sounded like it was an act of violence, not an act of I'm caring for you so you don't get hurt.

Anyways, enough of that, people always say Disneyland brings out the child in us all, and yes it does. That's why adults behave like children in the park.
When getting on the monorail I asked a cm if we could sit in the front so he walked us there and put my party of four in it. We were waiting and talking and laughing and then a cm brings over a couple, well the woman went insane she literally started 'whining' and shouting and going on about how she wanted the front and how she had asked first...um lady it seats6 or 7, there is room for all of us, and clearly she didn't ask first because we were already in there :rotfl2:
Anyways the cm's ignored her and walked away, lol so she got in and pouted the whole trip :rotfl2: It must have been past her nap time. The rest of us had a blast though.

:confused3 We encountered lot's rude people in June, a group of 11 kids and a teacher cut in front to ride with their group......we were 3 people.......and what appeared to be a local family of about 9.....only 2 in line.......then they wanted to start a fight......we told the CM but, it we couldn't do anything while waiting in line as their was no CM mointering the lines........it didn't make for a magical first and only visit.:headache:

My goodness, I did not mean to cause such an uproar...... simply sharing a story...... I never stated that what happend was the worst thing in the world. I simply said that I was shocked that this happend. I guess I have a different mothering stlye than some people. No, I would not mind if my child's teacher or coach had to touch or grab my child's shoulders. Yes, it is true that I did not go into explicit detail like the look on the man's face and the fact that he didn't say one word to me, my husband or my child. In fact, he wouldn't even look at me. He just grabbed my son strongly by the shoulders, pulled him back and rolled his eyes at the CM. Remember, my child is 9 not 17 and I was standing right behind him and was in the process of telling him that it was not his turn. Sorry I felt the urge to share my story along with everyone else. I will go back to just reading these threads and not participating.

Sorry that I seem to going off about this but I honestly didn't even expect anyone to comment on my story just simply read it.

Please participate, disneyfanatic. We (kiwi & i) read into it more than was there. I'm sensitive because of my being a coach.

Had a man (or woman) grabbed my 8 y/o, avoided my eye contact with me & rolled his eyes to a CM, I would have been upset too.

The Dis forums have the best people in the world, but with all forums sometimes it's hard to express all thoughts & emotions. I'm sorry if i upset or offended, but please keep posting.

hound :flower3:

Thank you for your apology. I was a little wound up when I responded and now feel awful and embarassed for making such a fuss. I was having a bad day at work and thought I would pop onto the boards for some cheering up. I actually forgot that I had posted to this until I saw that little check to remind me. I am not a confrontational person at all but, for some reason, felt the need to defend myself. I, too, apologize for being too sensitive. :goodvibes

Please participate, disneyfanatic. We (kiwi & i) read into it more than was there. I'm sensitive because of my being a coach.

Had a man (or woman) grabbed my 8 y/o, avoided my eye contact with me & rolled his eyes to a CM, I would have been upset too.

The Dis forums have the best people in the world, but with all forums sometimes it's hard to express all thoughts & emotions. I'm sorry if i upset or offended, but please keep posting.

hound :flower3:

Same for me here, I too did not want to offend. Sounds like there was more to it than orginally posted and concur it was totally inappropriate. Don't stop posting we need as many opinions as possible.

My family had an "incident" (I guess you could call it that) when we went last August. We were on Indiana Jones, the four of us in the back row, and there was a group of 7 in the first two rows - the father, mother, and one child in the front, and 2 teenagers and 1 girl (5ish years old) in the middle. I guess it ws the little girl's first time on the ride and the father insisted on taking flash photographs of her during the entire ride! He was literally turned around the entire ride taking pictures and everytime the flash would blind us! My mom said something after about the 2nd or 3rd time but apparently this didnt' phase him. When we got off the ride we told the CM at the exit and she said that there are cameras throughout the ride but she guessed the CM watching those cameras wasn't paying enough attention. She apologized for this man's very rude behavior and very kindly told us how we could ride again without waiting. We did and our second ride was thoroughly enjoyable!

We've been to WDW many, many times, and I have to say, the guests at DL take the prize for rudeness. We were there about a year ago, my daughter's dance team was performing. Something outlandish happened to us every day, but this one actually still bothers me.

The kids were "backstage" and my SIL and I were just killing some time. We stopped to watch the Jammitors group in the open space in front of the main store in Tomorrowland. A couple came walking out of the store, in front was a big guy wearing pin lanyards, being followed by a female companion. I am 5'3", in my 50s, and not that wide, but this guy looked directly at me and yelled "coming through". He then body checked me to get through the semi-circle of people standing there. And it really HURT! Then the female did the same thing! I was so stunned, I just stood there for a minute, and then started to go after them. My SIL stopped me, I guess she figured the guy wouldn't hesitate to beat me up. I still can't figure that one out, why did he pick me? And furthermore, why didn't he go around? There was plenty of room!

I think we just live in a generally ruder society these days and being at DL or WDW exacerbates this type of behavior in certain people. It's the "me first" attitude.

It does seem that everytime I go to DL (haven't been to WDW in a while, but am going next June :banana: ) I encounter more and more rude people. The instances usually only made me shake my head and think to myself "D@*#, you're rude" but as people become more obnoxious and outrageous it's like my blood pressure needs to be checked on a daily basis.

I'm still stewing about a couple of incidents that happened a couple of years ago at DL - I think I need therapy for it. :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter