• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

RPR Renovations

Laketravis

This avatar sponsored by: FastPass+
Just an FYI but they started renovations on Tower 1 yesterday. We know because at precisely 9am it sounded like a hammer drill was boring it's way thru the wall to our room. :rotfl2:

Front desk told us that reno activities start at 9am and are scattered among the floors.

That makes so much sense now. We managed to sleep until 11:30 (8:30 pacific time and we didn't get to bed until 2am eastern time after waking at 3:45 am pacific time)* and once I woke and took out the earplugs I don't know how I was sleeping!

*that was complicated. Short story we were exhausted. And I still had to practically drag the menfolk out of bed and we didn't get to US until 2!

Currently getting dinner at Orchid Court Lounge; come say hi if you're in the area. :)

Thanks for the info. I had requested to not be in Tower 3 for our trip next week due to the reported renos starting there. I just called back and reservations confirmed Tower 1 being renovated and noted our request for Tower 3 close to the boat dock. :thumbsup2

If you are going to RPH anytime soon, definitely don't stay in Tower 1. We had the same experience as OP. We came back during the day to rest and the noise went from noticeable to terrible depending on the day. One of the big selling points (other than express pass) to the onsite hotels is the ability to come back to your home during the day. The front desk didn't say anything to us about the renovations and they definitely should have. The noise wasn't horrible until our last day and by that point I didn't want to move. We checked in on the 4th and it definitely started on the 5th. Of course I did give them a bad review on Trip Advisor and I don't think they were too happy about that!

FWIW, for us, after the 6th it was pretty much fine. We were the first room around the corner from the elevators on the bottom floor. We would hear a zzzzt zzzzt sometimes, after that first day we heard it and I posted, but after that not much. Maybe they had moved on from above us.

Our checkout day was the day they were turning the water off, though. Said it was starting at 10 so we were rushing to get all water needs done with! Then they didn't do it while we were still there. Left just about 11, I think, could still use the water. Whew! (they gave us notice about the water)

Does anyone know when they are supposed to complete the renovations to tower 1? We have a stay booked for August and I love tower 1 for its park view rooms. :goodvibes

I just read an interesting theory about the RPR remodel in the new version of the "Universal Orlando 2015" guidebook by Kelly Monaghan. The author states that after the convention center addition & the room remodeling is finished, RPR may raise its rates to match HRH and PBH. That way, all Deluxe hotels would be in the same tier, leaving a gap in the middle for the new Sapphire Falls Resort. That way, UO can offer a moderate resort for higher than the Cabana Bay, but still leave the Unlimited Express Pass out of Sapphire Falls.

On one hand, I'm not sure that entirely makes sense. RPR isn't adding any real guest amenities, so I don't see how they could justify raising rates by $50-$100 per night just because they have new carpet and wallpaper in the rooms. The rooms will still be smaller than the other resorts, and nothing else has changed - if UO execs feel that they could get even $50 more per night out of RPR guests then they'd probably already be doing so.

On the other hand, if the added convention space (and the link to the Sapphire Falls convention space) means that RPR will be packed with conventioners, then perhaps they won't have as many rooms left for the general public. This could cause an increase in prices for those who happen to prefer RPR.

Or, the whole Unlimited Express Pass structure could be eliminated or changed altogether, which I think would be the worst case scenario - but the more hotel tiers UO creates, the harder it's going to be to sell anything without an Express Pass if the price difference isn't very high.

I just read an interesting theory about the RPR remodel in the new version of the "Universal Orlando 2015" guidebook by Kelly Monaghan. The author states that after the convention center addition & the room remodeling is finished, RPR may raise its rates to match HRH and PBH. That way, all Deluxe hotels would be in the same tier, leaving a gap in the middle for the new Sapphire Falls Resort. That way, UO can offer a moderate resort for higher than the Cabana Bay, but still leave the Unlimited Express Pass out of Sapphire Falls. On one hand, I'm not sure that entirely makes sense. RPR isn't adding any real guest amenities, so I don't see how they could justify raising rates by $50-$100 per night just because they have new carpet and wallpaper in the rooms. The rooms will still be smaller than the other resorts, and nothing else has changed - if UO execs feel that they could get even $50 more per night out of RPR guests then they'd probably already be doing so. On the other hand, if the added convention space (and the link to the Sapphire Falls convention space) means that RPR will be packed with conventioners, then perhaps they won't have as many rooms left for the general public. This could cause an increase in prices for those who happen to prefer RPR. Or, the whole Unlimited Express Pass structure could be eliminated or changed altogether, which I think would be the worst case scenario - but the more hotel tiers UO creates, the harder it's going to be to sell anything without an Express Pass if the price difference isn't very high.

That does not make sense. Not all the time but RPR is sometimes the same or more than the other 2 and vise versa.

That does not make sense. Not all the time but RPR is sometimes the same or more than the other 2 and vise versa.

Well yes, supply and demand will affect the rates for any particular day or week, conventions/groups, etc. However, in general, the RPR is cheaper than HRH, which is usually a little cheaper than Portofino. All 3 are more expensive than CBBR.

Here's a link to a page from Universal's website that shows the rates by season for all the onsite hotels.

Note than aside from the Value season, HRH and Portofino are usually no more than $10-$20 per night apart, and are frequently the same price. RPR is always a whole lot cheaper than the others, varying from $25-$75 less than HRH.

Meanwhile, CBBR is usually $110 to $150 less than RPR's current rates. If Sapphire Falls splits the difference, it would be about $60-$75 less than RPR. I think a lot of people would probably decide that paying $75 per night more is worth it to get the Unlimited Express Pass. However, $100 per night is a bit more of a "psychological barrier" towards that decision. So, it kind of makes sense to make the Moderate about $100 per night more than the Value hotel, and the Deluxe hotels about $100 more than the Moderate. I haven't looked deeply into Disney's pricing structure, but it's my general impression that the gap between Moderate and Deluxe resorts is rather large.

I'm not saying that it's going to happen - in fact, I really hope it doesn't! But as long as the top 3 hotels offer Unlimted Express and the others don't, any hotel that approaches the top 3 in price will probably suffer for it.

Tower 1 is still remodeling. Right now they are working on floor 5-7. You can see the new lamps in the windows.

We are staying at the RPR May 2nd thru the the 7th. I can't stay in tower 2 (allergies). Which tower should we request 1 or 3 for less construction noise. TIA

We are staying at the RPR May 2nd thru the the 7th. I can't stay in tower 2 (allergies). Which tower should we request 1 or 3 for less construction noise. TIA
tower 1 will be completed before they start on another tower to renovate.
i think the start for T1 was about january 5 or 6th.

bluer posted that floors 5-7 are being worked on presently.
so that makes it 4 weeks of work on 3 floors.
my son is there now at rpr, i'll call and ask him to inquire what the expected finish date is for T1.

my guess is about up to 3 months per tower.
that is if all things go smooth.

i'm sure someone will post which tower is next when they are on the property in April.

once you find out which tower is next in line for renov, you can call reservations and put a request in for T1 or the tower that has not been started for the renov.

tower 1 will be completed before they start on another tower to renovate.
i think the start for T1 was about january 5 or 6th.

bluer posted that floors 5-7 are being worked on presently.
so that makes it 4 weeks of work on 3 floors.
my son is there now at rpr, i'll call and ask him to inquire what the expected finish date is for T1.

my guess is about up to 3 months per tower.
that is if all things go smooth.

i'm sure someone will post which tower is next when they are on the property in April.

once you find out which tower is next in line for renov, you can call reservations and put a request in for T1 or the tower that has not been started for the renov.

Thank you!!!!! :)

I had no idea renovations were being doing at RPR. I'm a total Universal newbie and have chosen RPR for our stay. Does anyone know if they will be finished by October?

I had no idea renovations were being doing at RPR. I'm a total Universal newbie and have chosen RPR for our stay. Does anyone know if they will be finished by October?

We can only think so by then. But to tell you the truth is the only way you know there is renovation going on is if you are in the tower that they are working on. Not that you see any construction but during the day you might here more noises. Other than that we have heard nothing from another tower.

Rags,
we know that T 1 will be done by then.........

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter