Rpr 7/23 - 7/27

Mushu2u

Earning My Ears
Participants of this trip.....

Me......an I'm too old to be doing this in July 45 year old
DS.......a bit younger (she made me put that)(only kidding honey, we all know your the baby sister!!!)

My sister and I have started a yearly sister's get-a-way...This is our second year....NO KIDS....NO HUSBANDS...NO HASSELS....
last year we stayed at the HRH, this year the RPR...
I live in South Fla. and my DS is in North Fla, So we meet in the middle...We made reservations about 2 months before our trip...the first 2 days were booked with the "Coke" deal $199. each night min. 2 nights, includes 2 park passes good until Dec 23, 2002, We backed 2 more days with a package called "Generation G". $149. per night includes a disposable camera, 2 movie passes with popcorn, a photo album and a phone card., I didn't realize that this was a "Grandparents" special, they never told me that while I was making the reservations, but I guess they don't care..cuz nothing was said.
Anyway, check in was ok, only one small mistake, we were booked for one King bed instead of two Queen beds, but that was fixed quickly, our room wasn't ready, but we didn't think it would be due to our early arrival time, they put our luggage in storage until our room was ready, and off we went to IOA, with our room key(of course), We were ready for rain, as we had been watching the news and it didn't sound too good for our stay. our first stop was to be Hulk..(he was our first last year), but to our dissapointment it was not running, we were told it would be up and running soon, So off to spend some time with Spiderman, the ride wait stated 90 minutes....but we went right on in, there were maybe 10 people in front of us....FOTL gotta love it....once we were finished with Spiderman, we heard our green friend calling us, so off we went to get reaquainted, It was like being with an old friend, I love the Hulk....once again FOTL no wait at all this time...and the wait for all the others...45 minutes....After Hulk we decieded it was time to get a bite, we had read that the burgers were good in DinoDigs, so we headed over, I'm sure the fact that we were starving had nothing to do with the fact that those were the best burgers we have had in a long time, and we both loved the fixing bar, I really liked the pickles, crunchy and cold....
Next it was time to see a dragon, Fire was our pick for today, and he gave us a great ride...usually we would head right over and let the other take us for a spin, but we had just eaten so we gave ice the day off. we wandered around for a bit longer than went back to the hotel to see if our room was ready yet, it was now around 3 PM. well to our surprise it was ready, we had our luggage brought to our room, which was in Tower 1 on the 5th floor, we had a perfect view of my favorite green man, and those two UGLY tower devils !!!!! also a great view of the fireworks.... We had a gift certificate for the Cheescake Factory, so we headed off park for dinner that night, and then wandered around the street by the resturant.back to the room for some after dinner liquid refreshments and fireworks..it was a good first day....
I will post the rest tomorrow, as I am a bit tired from the drive today.....

Day two started out with a bang....of slamming doors, this would continue throughout our stay, I don't remember hearing any hall way or room noise when we stayed at HRH, so I can only imagin that the sound proofing isn't as good at RPR.
We had planned on having breakfast at the HRH Sunset grill this morning, we had enjoyed it so much last year., We were disapointed, although the price was the same, the food selection had changed, they no longer had the wonderful fruit and nut bread, nor did they have the egg dish, the fruit selection was not that great either. Oh well I guess it's true...you can never go back.....
We walked over to Universal and were on our way to Twister when we were stopped by someone doing a survey, they asked if we would like to taste a salty snack food and give our opinion for $5 dollars, never to say no to an offer of money for doing little or next to nothing, off we went, it took maybe 5 minutes and was not too bad, and they gave us 5 dollars each.
We went on to Twister got in the front row, wow it was much better in the front row...FOTL wow... King Kong was next, then Jaws, then off to ET, we gave some really strange names just to hear ET say them....then it was time to kick some Alien butt...Have I said how great FOTL is yet ???? We left and went over to IOA again, This time we walked over to Zuess Landing and hit the Cat in the Hat, then it was time to give Ice a chance to chill us...I couldn't believe how great FOTL is even with the parks so chrowded we never had more than a 5 or 10 minute wait for anything..... We had Ice cream from Cathy's for luch this day, knowing that we would be having a nice dinner that night.
It was very hot and humis, so we headed back to the hotel to go for a dip in the pool, I was worried the water would be too warm after reading it on some of the posts, but I guess all the rain cooled it down cuz it felt real nice.....We looked over the menue, and thought everything was over priced.
We showered and changed tonight was Charley's Steak house, I had eaten at the one on Orange Blossom a few years ago, and had the best steak ever....well we went to the one on Internatioal Dr, I was disapointed in that they didn't have the salad bar, but the house salad was very good, we both order a filet I got mine with melted blue cheese on top, and we shared the smashed potatoes, everything was wonderful...... until ....I felt something fall into my hair, and put my hand up to see what it was, a bug jumped from my hair to the table...I tried not to be too obvious...there were tables of people all around us, I quickly put my napkin ontop of it and called over a waiter, I told hime what happened, he took my napkin and next thing I know we had 3 or 4 people from the resturant at out table appoligizing and clearing off everything from the table, now keep in mind we are almost halfway through eating, and they are taking everything off the table...my DS grabs hold of her plate and the waiter says we are replacing all your food, she says hers was fine that the bug didn't get near her plate, so they let her keep hers, They brought back everything we had ordered all new, and told us there would be no charge for our dinner that night.....they were very nice about the whole thing, and I really didn't expect to get the whole meal free.... The whole thing was hadled very well and I would go back to eat there again.
Ww went back to the RPR and parked our car...I have to agree with all the posts on the parking there....everytime we would leave we would pray that we would find a space when we got back, they have half of the lot baracaded off for valet parking, and in the regular lot, cars are parked all over the place...it really is a mess....
We took the boat over to city walk and then went to IOA to watch the fireworks, we got a drink at one of the bars and found a spot to watch the show..as always it was amazing.
Will post the rest of our reports later tonight, I'm getting blisters on my finger tips from so much typing....

Thursday....We had breakfast in IOA at the Cressent Moon Bakery, we bought one of thier breakfast sandwiches and coffee, then we walked over to Cinnibon and bought a cinnimon roll, we split both and had a great breakfast....the cheapest so far....
We did some of our favorite rides, then decieded today would be water ride day..it was again another very hot and humid day, So off to get wet..and wet we got, I am still amazed at FOTL access...Have I said that before ???? It is the best thing around..makes everything worth while..... Disney should look into something like it for thier Deluxe Resort guests.....
As part of our Generation G package we got 2 movie passes, So we deciede tonight would be movie night...We once again left the grounds to have an early dinner at Chili's on International Dr., then we drove around for a bit, somehow we found a TJ Max, and went in and shopped a bit(If you haven't noticed yet my DS and I love to shop)....Back to the RPR and off to the movies, sometime during the movie it had started to rain, by the time we got out it was pouring, and lots of lightening, they even had stopped the rides, we caught one if the boats back to the hotel, we were the only ones in the boat, the captain was very friendly and asked us if "we were here to see NSYNC" ??? I said no why were they here ?? he said yeah, for some charity event he said they were going to be at "The Groove" in city walk on Friday night, then at some basketball thing on Saturday and then they would be doing something at the Hard Rock Cafe on Sunday.....
We also changed rooms this day, as our Generation G pakage gave us a water veiw room, So we went from Tower 1 to Tower 2...I'd have to say I enjoyed our Tower 1 room better, it had a great view of my favorite Green man, and of the fireworks....Our Tower 2 room had a lovely view of the bubbling stream that is in front of the hotel...it was a nice room just couldn't see the fireworks from it....let see we had room number 2210 in Tower 2 and room 1531 in Tower 1.....

Friday Day 4....We woke up very early this morning..and not because we wanted to...our room was very hot, and the clock beside the bed was not working, we got up and my DS went in to take a shower, the lights were very dim, and there was very low water pressure, while she was in the shower, I poked my head out the door and saw two engineer type looking guys, I asked them what was up, the hotel had lost power at around 7 AM, the hallway was like an oven it was so hot, and it was only 8:30 or so, So I think the power must have been out a little longer than what they said....By the time I got into the shower there was no hot water.....We went down to the Islands cafe for breakfast, and were seated and given menus, the waitress poured our coffee and brought us juice, while we were looking over the menu, she came back and told us the only thing available was the buffet as it was already cooked before they lost power....we went over to get the buffet, and could hardly see anything, no lights, still no power, so no omlets anyway, just what was already prepared....well we were both very dissapointed, the food was not even hot, even the butter on the buffet was starting to melt, I can't believe they let people eat this stuff...well I complained about the whole thing, they should have told us before we even went in that it was buffet only..I would have gone somewhere else, well they only charged us for one meal, to be honest between the two of us I don't think we even ate that much, but I guess it was better than nothing..... I don't think even on a good day I would ever eat thee again....$14.95 each for breakfast.....that's a bit too high priced for me, when the only thing special about it was fish and rice..and I don't eat fish....
We decieded that today was already too hot, so we went off to find a mall and shop some more....which we did, then we went to Carrabbas for dinner and back to the hotel...while walking around we saw a bunch of cars parked in an area that normally didn't have any, so being noisey we walked over to see what was going on...it was some of the guys from NSYNC, and B2K and Brian McKnight and a bunch of others that I'm afraid I'm a bit too old to know.....We went back up to our room and got our FREE camera and headed over to City Walk, to see if we could get some pictures for our girls.....I don't think they would believe us, unless we had pictures.... I really didn't think it would be a big deal, I told my DS that we would go into that bar and take some pictures...well ever teen within a hundred mile radious was there, the place was packed with people...we did not get into the bar..it was sold out..from what I heard they had started selling tickets for $15. and some of the people had gotten thier tickets off Ebay and paid $200. we hung out, outside and finally did get some pictures, I will have to admit, I was only sticking my camera out into what I thought was a good spot, needless to say I got a bunch of headless people...I think I got two or three pictures where you can actually see who it is..but I got a great shot of Justin Timberlakes shoe !!!!!! there were a number of celebrities there, Shaq, 4 of the 5 memebers of NSYNC, B2K Brian McKnight some actress came in with Justin Timberlake I can't remember her name, Nellie was supposed to be there but I don't know if I saw him or not...there were alot of people sort of slipping by with alot of people around them so it was hard to see who they were...Also some reporter from ET was there too....
We left there and got a drink from Margaritaville's then went back to our hotel..by now the hallways were starting to cool off again....
We checked out on Saturday morning with only one problem on our bill, for a bottle of water.....a $8.00 botlle of water...I told them we didn't drink it and they just took it off without and questions....
Parking charges were automatically charge to your room, but we were only charged for one car, and had two, but I guess because we were in one room, they figured we had come together...

All in all I'd say we had a great time....I can't say that I would stay there again, it just isn't as nice as the HRH......
and to be honest I am a true blue Disney fan......nothing will ever come close to a stay at the Grand Floridain.....maybe if we plan far enough ahead?????? and start saving NOW !!!!!

If anyone has any questions on anything that I might have missed, fell free to ask..... I also have some pictures of our room and some hotel pictures if anyone can tell me how to post them...I can put Justin Timberlakes foot up too !!!!!!!

How would you compare the HRH to disney resorts? Next trip I think we are going to try it. Does HRH compare to disney, I do not want to be disappointed.. thanks,,,corvair

corvair,
I have only stayed at two WDW resorts, but HRH was MUCH nicer. The whole atmosphere is great and the beds are the most comfortable I've ever experienced.

It's neat to read your trip report. Brings back many memories of our trip in June/July.

I laughed when I read your day 2 report of slamming doors. We heard the same thing throughout our stay (8 nights), but I thought it was just me. I think part of it was people in the next rooms opening and closing drawers and doors. We tried to sleep late a few mornings, but we noticed that housekeeping also like to slam the doors.

It also looks like you had the problem with no hot water.

Too bad you had the problem with the power and A/C going out. The A/C usually works very well at the RPR.

I'm amazed that they haven't done anything yet about the parking. Any other place I've been to that has valet parking, they leave the closer spaces for the convenience of their customers, and let the valets go farther. At the RPR, it appears to be the opposite way - make it more inconvenient for their customers and make it easier for their valets.

I posted my pictures on ofoto.com and shared the album publicly and then put a link to in in my trip report. I'd love to see some of your pictures. I think you said you saw them put the plane in the water. Do you have a picture. It was in the field next to the hotel when we were there.

Great play-by-play. How is parking charged at RPR? Is valet $12 per day with in-and-out privileges? Self-park doesn't sound all that appealing to me. Thanks.

and to be honest I am a true blue Disney fan......nothing will ever come close to a stay at the Grand Floridain.....maybe if we plan far enough ahead?????? and start saving NOW !!!!! [/B][/QUOTE]

Try Portofino! You might just like it better then the GF. It's much more luxurious.
Thanks for the report.

CORVAIR... I have stayed at many different Disney Resort from thier lower priced resort ie All Sports/All Movies to the best Grand Floridain and everything in between, I would say the HRH is comparable with some od Disney's higher priced Resorts, I do agree with gschmerl about HRH beds, they are the nicest in any place I have ever been. You will not be dissapointed in your stay there.

FOX... I will post my photos soon and let everyone know where they are. Also We were not the ones who saw the place being placed, it was already in the lagoon when we got there.

GRACE&ABE.... We never used valet parking, only self parking. They ask you at check in how you parked, I guess they just take your word for how you parked. It sounds worse then it really is, I always found a spot to park when we left the grounds.

CPM.... My DS and I were talking about stying there next time, We would like to experince all the Resort at Universal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter