• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Roy Disney files for divorce

Took him a long time to figure that out, didn't it :rolleyes1 ?

agnes!

My thoughts exactly! That IS pretty odd. I mean, you're with someone 51 years and all of a sudden you have "irreconcilable differences"? Oh well. We don't know the whole story so who knows what the real reasons behind the divorce are.

I'm not surprised. In fact, there was an article in my local paper recently about how common it is for longtime marriages to break up when people are in their 70's and even 80's. I don't remember the statistics though. I would think it would be more common among folks like Disney, who wouldn't risk their ability to support themselves by splitting.

I'm not surprised, partially because my parents have been married for 50 years. They have more disagreements now than they ever did before. Think about it - all of a sudden you spend much more time with your spouse than ever before and also depend on them more. You are looking at your final years and re-evaluating how you want to spend them. I think my folks will last it out, but I think they've been more frustrated with each other since retirement (and especially since their "real" retirement years - where they're kind of slowing down) than ever before.

Let's hope tmz doesn't let us down with the rest of the story!!! ;)

Now wait a minute. Everyone here seems to think it is Roy who is starting this and has or wants a younger person in his life. It is possible that his wife started the proceedings. We don't know. It is just as conceivable that Mrs Roy was tired of being on the sidelines while he was saving the creation his uncle and father gave us.

His "midlife crisis" is about 25 years too late, isn't it?

Aren't rich and famous men supposed to do this when they hit 45-50 or so?

This is exactly what I was thinking! I'd love to know the real story. . .

Now wait a minute. Everyone here seems to think it is Roy who is starting this and has or wants a younger person in his life. It is possible that his wife started the proceedings. We don't know. It is just as conceivable that Mrs Roy was tired of being on the sidelines while he was saving the creation his uncle and father gave us.
I am not making any assumptions as to why (who knows?), but if you read the OP, Roy is the one who filed.

I haven't seen this anywhere though, anyone have any links?

I'm not surprised, partially because my parents have been married for 50 years. They have more disagreements now than they ever did before. .

I agree!! I guess most old couples stay together because they really can't afford to split, and most of the old men are used to being waited on hand and foot.

My parents have been married 52 years. They are 77 and almost 75. They do squabble and bicker, but when my dad was in the hospital last summer for his hip replacement complications you could tell my mom would be a mess if something happened to him.
Most couples that age, as has been mentioned, would take a huge financial hit if they split. Most retirement incomes can't handle two households to run, etc. I don't think that's an issue with Mr. and Mrs. Disney!
Hefner is almost 80 if he isn't already. That little blue pill has changed a lot of things!
Robin M.

Hopefully Roy wont turn into the Hugh Hefner of the Disney World. Crazy thinking.

Also, who would want to train a new spouse. If you cant do it in 50 plus years, forget it.

If Anna Nicole Smith ends up in the next Disney movie, we'll know why;) Who tells their wife of 51 years "You know, this just isn't working for me":confused3

Maybe she told him "You know, this just isn't working for me"? Hmmm ...........

My friend's grandparents separated after 57 years and Grandma was the one who left.

I'm not surprised. In fact, there was an article in my local paper recently about how common it is for longtime marriages to break up when people are in their 70's and even 80's. I don't remember the statistics though. I would think it would be more common among folks like Disney, who wouldn't risk their ability to support themselves by splitting.

I read something once where married couples split FOR the financial aspect of it...specifically, I think it was social security. Something about the wife being able to get more social security against the divorced spouse's ss, than with her own. This is how couples that are stretched thin financially have opted to increase their monthly income. They still stay together but are technically divorced.

I haven't seen this anywhere though, anyone have any links?
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/merc...s/california/northern_california/16502684.htm

Roy E. Disney files for divorce in LA to end 52-year marriage
Associated Press
LOS ANGELES - Roy E. Disney filed for divorce from his wife, Patricia, on Friday, citing irreconcilable differences, according to court documents.

The Burbank couple, who have been married 52 years, have been living apart for an unspecified amount of time, according to the Los Angeles County Superior Court filing.

"This has been in the works for a long time. They've just decided to move forward with their lives," said Clifford A. Miller, managing director of Shamrock Holdings Inc., the Disney family's investment company.

Roy, 77, and Patricia, 72, have four adult children.

The couple agreed to treat the divorce as a collaborative law case, which means each will try to cooperate to reach a settlement out of court, according to the divorce papers.

"It will be privately and collaboratively worked out, and it will never go to court," said Forrest S. Mosten, Roy Disney's attorney.

Mosten declined to discuss any facts in the case.

Disney is nephew of Walt Disney and one of The Walt Disney Co.'s major shareholders.

I heard a long time ago that Roy is a raging alcoholic. Maybe his wife got tired. :confused3

California = community property. Patricia will live the next 30 years like a queen, and gauging by the guess that Ray may not be the most laid-back or easy man to live with ... I think she's coming out of this a winner.

Is there some tax advantage to being divorced when you die? Would his wife end up with more money if he left it to her as a person than as a wife? I think probably not (or tons of folks would divorce when they got old), but can't see any other reason to stick it out that long and give up at the end.

Funny that everyone thinks he's got a cutie on the side.
You know, she could have a studmuffin on the side.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter