Roxymama's 5k to Marathon, Time to Collect Another Castle

Rock n Roll Chicago 10k, part of the Remix Challenge, 7/17 race recap:
image.jpg

This is as close to a smile as I'll get at 5 in the morning. Had to get a shot of my flower for my momma. Completed her breast cancer treatment and undergoing so many "am I okay now" tests. Had to borrow a little strength from her and plus it's cute and sparkly :)
I was kind of a nervous wreck this morning. My stomach was not totally happy with me and I just get weird waking up so early anyways. Think I stopped "just in case" in the bathroom at least 10+ times. Which is funny cause as soon as race was over I don't think I even thought about finding a bathroom for hours. It's all mental.
But back to, ummmm, lovelier topics. The weather was so good again!!! Huzzah!
Felt literally the same as day before but cloudier and less sunny. Forecast called for rain but after when we would be done (was our guess.)
image.jpg
We got to our corral area and took a walk past the speedy people to grab a start line pic. My money was on guy wearing #4 because he lapped us like three times as we walked up there. I actually got to run with him for .1 second as he blistered past me around my mile 5, haha.
So we got into our corral and here was our view as we inched closer.
image.jpg

Id say they were going off every 2 min, then every one min, then like 30 sec apart. They wanted our corral to jump together...hahaha NOPE!
And we were off. I was lone-wolfing this one. So didn't know hubby's progress until the end. I had a strategy A) run like how I felt the day before B) don't go as slow as long-run training pace (11:15) but don't like sprint...just a good effort C) run by feel and ignore my watch if I could D) if I had any gas left try to speed up at last few miles or mile or whatever my body could muster. E) PR maybe?
And here's our course:
image.jpg
Stats are from my Garmin post race:
Started feeling good. Legs weren't too tired. Held back a little bit from "racing". Started almost identical to 5k's course.
Mile 1: 10:27
I missed the actual clock at mile 1.
Second mile legs still were feeling good. Path narrowed a bit here as we were now officially on the lake front trail and spent a lot of time either totally by myself or coming up on new clumps of people to pass. I think I got passed quite a bit during the start and was now chomping on some people.
Mile 2: 10:36. So a tad slower but legs felt good still.
Mile 3: I think I was with two superwoman almost this whole mile. Like they literally were wearing capes. Haha. Wish I had a pic of them. but my favorite visual of the race was in this mile. We ran around the shedd aquarium and felt like we were running right into the lake!
image.jpg
Pic courtesy of Mr. Roxy. This segment made the whole race worth it! Mile three ended in a series of gradual uphills as we continued through more of a tree lined section of the trail. Had more curves to it as well so I tried my best run straight through them like a good tangent runner instead of winding with them. It was open enough that I wasn't cutting anyone off. Must have worked cause my final gps was 6.25 miles.
Mile 3: 10:32 pretty much being a metronome at this point. I passed the superwomen.
Somewhere between mile 3 and 4 I saw course cutting! There was a break in the trees and big sidewalk filled with bike racks and on the other side was more 10k runners clearly coming back from the turnaround farther down. Two young blond women in braids that had been in front of me for awhile started slowing up and the one yanked the other over and they were giggling maniacally. And then I saw them cut the course! They gained almost two miles.
Unless they got caught...but they looked home free.
Weirdly enough...this was the moment in the race I decided right then and there that I would relish the distance from that point to where they ended up, really enjoy it and embrace it. That it isn't about the end time on the clock but about earning the distance. And I think it mentally got me down to the turnaround in better shape than had I not seen that!
No idea 5k split. They had a mat at 3.8 which was the real turnaround point and it said 39:46.
Mile 4: 10:49
I forgot to talk about aid stations or bands!
Stay tuned for that and my last stretch to the finish :)

Tbc

Last edited:
Woohoo! 10K underway. Shedd aquarium is the best. Love it there and what a beautiful view for a run. I can't believe people who cut courses! I mean, really, what's the point? So, you have some great time that you didn't earn? Honestly, it's just not something I can fathom that people do.

Sounds like the race is going really well so far. Can't wait to hear about how many more people you were able to chomp on your way to the finish!!

10k continued
I love sponges! Just past the main turnaround heading into the final stretch of fairly straight miles to the finish they had wet sponges for us! It wasn't terribly hot out but it was so refreshing to smash that thing behind my neck and on top of my head. Really gave me a good pick me up with that. Woke me up out of my metronoming a bit too! This race had a lot of aid stations. One every mile+ almost I think. I took a cup at all but the final one and did walk probably at least 5-10 steps to take a few swigs at them. Just figured I'd use what was there for me.
So post sponge spring in my step + getting past the point if he line cutters + fun tunnel of darkness and mystery under McCormick place equaled a good mile 5: 10:19.
Not my pic but this is the tunnel

image.jpg
Mostly darkness for at least .25 mile until later light fun at the end.
image.jpg Hubby was wearing prescription sunglasses and said he was blind under here and it was freaky. This point of the race was when the 1/2 marathoners started running past us on the left. Whole rest of the way was separated down the middle by cones. And these people were freaky fast. I quite enjoyed watching them blaze past. And since this was their last few miles too they were all kicking. Saw the lead women and her bike entourage pass me too :)
Oh and a women in at least the top 30 pushing a stroller...going so fast I could not tell if it was a special needs assistance or a little kid. But man...impressive!
So mile 5 was also what I like to call the "Oh god, I have a blister mile". I felt it building for a while but it was fully realized in my sock at this point. We were heading into lake shore drive's on ramp and I just said to myself "I can walk with a blister and it will hurt and take forever or I keep running and it will hurt but I'll get it over with"
So my fastest mile while I had a blister. High five me!
And fun fact...lake shore drive which is a huge road had cars driving on it...we just were in the farthest over lane. Yikes!
The hill up to Columbis drive (basically an on ramp again) did get me walking up half of it. Due to mr. Blister who did not like the hill. But I pressed on and the I saw the finish line!
It could have been a mile or 5 miles or .5 miles down as it was hard to tell but I could def. see it all the way down the road.
Oh and I smiled at the foto guys here

image.jpg

There were bands playing all along this last mile stretch and actually quite a few throughout but I had my earbuds in and sadly tuned them out. I smiled at all of them though if that counts. Maybe next year I'll listen to them better.
Mile 6: 10:25. Still chugging
The last .2 or probably even sooner than that had a ton of crowd support and lots of photographers. It was easy to push at the end. And I just kept that smile plastered on my face and my thumbs up.
Mile 6.2 9:33
image.jpg
image.jpg
1:05:31 for a PR!
And a Ferris wheel medal achieved!
image.jpg
And as I was getting my pic taking with my medal I got an alert that someone crossed the finish
image.jpg
Speedy came in at 1:10 right on my tail. PRs for everyone. And I got to see michigandergirl and her friend come through the chute top. Not even a minute after me.
We retrieved our remix medals and got some pics and beer.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Made it back to hotel just before the skies opened up. The ended up suspending the race and people were waiting inside burger kings and under tunnels and wherever they could shelter. Some kept running through it. The race is letting people get time corrections. Glad we missed it!
One more glamour shot after showering
image.jpg
my kiddo was not pleased that she had to leave grandmas but she got over it after a long nap. We all had long naps.
Thanks for reading my recap! I'm happy to conquer back to back races and my second ever 10k :)

Edited to add my stats...I always forget to add these:
10:33 avg pace
926/2520 overall (woo hoo!)
486-1710 gender (lots of women in this race!)
66/236 age group
1/2 dis-board division (but only because she was taking it easy and she just barely got me, but I'll take it)

Next up: training for my 15k
Stay tuned

Last edited:
Awesome job! You really rocked that 10K ;) I can see how the course cutters could give you a boost. Like it's showing one extreme of doing races (not caring about what you really accomplished) and could help you realize why you are doing the race to begin with! I too, cannot understand the mindset of paying that much money for race and then CUT? It's not like they are going to win an award or money anyway!

I have yet to tackle back to back races, but I'm looking forward to next September.

Last edited:

Awesome job to you and your hubby! The course cutters are just bizarre to me...like Giselle said, what is the point?

You look so great in your pics - love that flower for your mom, really sweet and adorable. :)

Great race recap! My friends & I had a blast! I love Chicago. My aunt was a librarian for the Chicago public library, so as a kid, my mom, sister & I would visit her every summer and she would plan so many cool things for us to do. I have such fonds memories of those visits. We took our kids to Chicago about 4 years ago (I can't believe it's been that long) and did the Brookfield Zoo, Shedd Aquarium, Field Museum, Navy Pier, Sears/Hancock towers, Ed Debevic's, and the Lego store. We had a blast, but it was a pricey three days - probably why we haven't been back, but I think we are due for another family trip soon.

Great race recap! My friends & I had a blast! I love Chicago. My aunt was a librarian for the Chicago public library, so as a kid, my mom, sister & I would visit her every summer and she would plan so many cool things for us to do. I have such fonds memories of those visits. We took our kids to Chicago about 4 years ago (I can't believe it's been that long) and did the Brookfield Zoo, Shedd Aquarium, Field Museum, Navy Pier, Sears/Hancock towers, Ed Debevic's, and the Lego store. We had a blast, but it was a pricey three days - probably why we haven't been back, but I think we are due for another family trip soon.
Yes! And with a different kind of running around!
I would have loved to have a city-Aunt to visit since I grew up in Induana when I was very young. Really glad the weather turned out for us.
And now I want to go do the shedd and Brookfield with my kiddo. Maybe this weekend we will do one. :)

Congrats on both races! I was just in Chicago last weekend. My sister had s big basketball tournament at McCormick Place. We did a lot of touring of Chicago. The courses look great as well as the bling.

Thanks for the great recap! It looks like a fun racecation. Good timing on making it back to the hotel before the rain.

Congrats on both races! I was just in Chicago last weekend. My sister had s big basketball tournament at McCormick Place. We did a lot of touring of Chicago. The courses look great as well as the bling.

Thanks! What a small world. My cousin was in from Ohio for that same tournament. We didn't make it out to a game though because of my schedule. They even stayed at same hotel we stayed at this weekend.

Thanks for the great recap! It looks like a fun racecation. Good timing on making it back to the hotel before the rain.

Thanks! We really got into the hotel just by the skin of our teeth before the skies opened up. It was a good decision that we took a cab back instead of biking or walking. I feel bad for the people who had to wait it out.

Congrats on another 10K finish and a PR to boot!! Way to go and I love the medals. Really enjoyed your recaps. You are ready to kick that 15Ks booty!!

Congrats on another 10K finish and a PR to boot!! Way to go and I love the medals. Really enjoyed your recaps. You are ready to kick that 15Ks booty!!

Are 15k's booties larger than 10k's booties? Because I may need to get some bigger shoes for kicking!

Yay race recaps!!

Okay, comments:

1 - I love your expo swag. And that medal rack is so perfect ... the only thing missing is Ferris Bueller.
2 - 15 Instagram likes is awesome, and 19 is even more awesome! I never get that many (although that might be because my account is private and I don't think I have 15 followers)
3 - I love that your bibs say roxymama. It's like all of us were out there running with you!!
4 - Yay for DISmeets! It's always fun to run into a new friend before a race!
5 - Boo for a few seconds short of breaking 30 on the 5K, but yay for getting an awesome time even though you weren't going for a PR or anything!
6 - I don't understand how people run in capes. It looks cool, but how is that not annoying?
7 - Course cutters are stupid. The only person you're hurting is yourself, there's really no point.
8 - Yay for a fast mile despite the blister!
9 - Yay for PRs for everyone! I'm so excited for and proud of you and Mr. Roxy for being so awesome!

Thanks for sharing the recaps - it was fun to read along with the race-cation! Maybe one day I'll make to to Chicago for this race...

Awesome job @roxymama, huge congrats to both you and the Hubs...and @michigandergirl as well :)

Love the shirts, I'm also a fan of the city flag. I really enjoyed seeing the race pictures, I felt like I could follow along with you as I know exactly where you were...the Lakefront Trail is one of the best running spots I've ever been to, just love it. What an amazing place to race!

And post-race beers with live '80s music??? I mean does it get any better than that? (No. The answer is no.)

Way to go! :thumbsup2

Yay race recaps!!

Okay, comments:

1 - I love your expo swag. And that medal rack is so perfect ... the only thing missing is Ferris Bueller.
2 - 15 Instagram likes is awesome, and 19 is even more awesome! I never get that many (although that might be because my account is private and I don't think I have 15 followers)
3 - I love that your bibs say roxymama. It's like all of us were out there running with you!!
4 - Yay for DISmeets! It's always fun to run into a new friend before a race!
5 - Boo for a few seconds short of breaking 30 on the 5K, but yay for getting an awesome time even though you weren't going for a PR or anything!
6 - I don't understand how people run in capes. It looks cool, but how is that not annoying?
7 - Course cutters are stupid. The only person you're hurting is yourself, there's really no point.
8 - Yay for a fast mile despite the blister!
9 - Yay for PRs for everyone! I'm so excited for and proud of you and Mr. Roxy for being so awesome!

Thanks for sharing the recaps - it was fun to read along with the race-cation! Maybe one day I'll make to to Chicago for this race...

All I can think of now is Edna Mode from the incredibles yelling "NO CAPES!" I guess they are an effective way to keep people from drafting behind you though?
Now I kind of want to spectate the Avengers run dressed like Edna and just yell incessantly to all the caped people.

Awesome job @roxymama, huge congrats to both you and the Hubs...and @michigandergirl as well :)

Love the shirts, I'm also a fan of the city flag. I really enjoyed seeing the race pictures, I felt like I could follow along with you as I know exactly where you were...the Lakefront Trail is one of the best running spots I've ever been to, just love it. What an amazing place to race!

And post-race beers with live '80s music??? I mean does it get any better than that? (No. The answer is no.)

Way to go! :thumbsup2

I will not pretend like I wasn't singing loudly to myself "Shot through the heart and your to blame, you give love a bad name" during my beer tenting and then many hours later.
Love the lake front trail as well...as long as it isn't 100 degrees out. At first I was slightly bummed that both 5k and 10k course shared the same first two mile-ish but it actually helped me the day of the 10k because I had "been there/done that."
I still kick myself that in my youth when I lived a 5 minute walk to the trail I did not use it enough. I was too self conscious about how I looked in running shorts back then and now I'd kill to be that size again. Too bad all the spandex athleisure wasn't as easily available back then.
And now I've rambled....haha

I didn't forget about you guys!
Awesome job! You really rocked that 10K ;) I can see how the course cutters could give you a boost. Like it's showing one extreme of doing races (not caring about what you really accomplished) and could help you realize why you are doing the race to begin with! I too, cannot understand the mindset of paying that much money for race and then CUT? It's not like they are going to win an award or money anyway!

I have yet to tackle back to back races, but I'm looking forward to next September.
"Rocked"...I see what you did there. I'm sad I didn't make that pun this weekend. My only thought with the cutters is if they just didn't realize how long 6 miles was and they were physically done they'd be looking for a way out (I don't agree with it)...but these girls were not showing any signs of fatigue or defeat. So I'm thinking it must have just been a "let's be bad and see what we can get away with" moment. Just cheating themselves. Maybe I should move myself up two places in the overall standings cause I think I could have chomped them :)

Awesome job to you and your hubby! The course cutters are just bizarre to me...like Giselle said, what is the point?

You look so great in your pics - love that flower for your mom, really sweet and adorable. :)

Thanks for the compliment. I often cringe at race photos. I A) don't love my upper-arms & B) don't love my red irish face & C) don't love my dead fish faces while running. But I'm learning to embrace them all.
And I'm positive the flower made me faster :)

All I can think of now is Edna Mode from the incredibles yelling "NO CAPES!" I guess they are an effective way to keep people from drafting behind you though?
Now I kind of want to spectate the Avengers run dressed like Edna and just yell incessantly to all the caped people.

This may be the greatest idea ever.

It most definitely is the greatest idea ever!! But, really, why stop with spectating - you just need to run it! ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter