Roxymama's 5k to Marathon, Time to Collect Another Castle

And tempo workout completed! Not gonna lie, the first few minutes of the tempo section I was like "uh oh"...because fast treadmill always feels faster than outside for me. But I just keep going and by the mile mark I felt totally fine and normal for that pace. So I didn't punk out and I hit the whole workout exactly as I was supposed to.
I've probably said this before but treadmill is mentally harder for me. The finish line is wherever I decide to hit the stop button. But out on the road I still have to get myself home from wherever I ran. So I started envisioning where I would be in the neighborhood at certain mileage points and then I'd listen to a full song before allowing myself to look at the minutes/miles stats. It really helped me. 5 minutes on th treadmill can seem like an eternity, but outside that's just from street A to street B which is nothing.
Also can we stop with all the murder shows at 9 already??? How many kids and women do I need to see being hurt everytime I go running on Thursday nights. How about a lil shark tank at least? #endrant

And tempo workout completed! Not gonna lie, the first few minutes of the tempo section I was like "uh oh"...because fast treadmill always feels faster than outside for me.

This is not uncommon when it comes to the Tempo workout. That first few minutes of the tempo feels more difficult then it should. For me, it usually takes a few miles before I start to feel in a groove with the tempo runs. Congrats on hitting your paces and keep up the good work!

I posted some of these in the running thread, but the Ice Fest race Michigan put out pictures from the race. I look my normal "dead-fish" face in most of them but at least my crazy pants distract from that.
image.jpg

Such pretty scenery during your race! And you look WAY better in your pictures than most do (yours truly included).

Such pretty scenery during your race! And you look WAY better in your pictures than most do (yours truly included).

Thanks! I attribute that to editing out the really bad ones and it being only 24 degrees out at the time. Just hold on until the July races where my dead-fish face combines with the fun combo of sweat and lobster-face. :)
And I agree about the scenery...it was great and made running a race in that cold temp much more bearable.

HEY!!!!!! HOW ARE YOU??? Long time no chat!! Disney blues = avoiding the forums for a while...

I'm so glad to see that you have set yourself some 2016 goals how exciting! I'm hoping that today I can sign up for the Disneyland Paris Half so fingers crossed that goes ok and I'll start setting myself some goals too!

I really enjoyed your 5k recap, your pic with Lilo is so cute. I still can't believe I saw you walking past and didn't shout at you to say hi but you were gone by so fast... I think I was a bit overwhelmed the morning of the 5k as well.

You look awesome on your run!! Love the pants and WOW it looks beautiful...

Your training plan looks really interesting, I haven't decided what plan to go with yet but definitely want to incorporate some speed training.

HEY!!!!!! HOW ARE YOU??? Long time no chat!! Disney blues = avoiding the forums for a while...

I'm so glad to see that you have set yourself some 2016 goals how exciting! I'm hoping that today I can sign up for the Disneyland Paris Half so fingers crossed that goes ok and I'll start setting myself some goals too!

I really enjoyed your 5k recap, your pic with Lilo is so cute. I still can't believe I saw you walking past and didn't shout at you to say hi but you were gone by so fast... I think I was a bit overwhelmed the morning of the 5k as well.

You look awesome on your run!! Love the pants and WOW it looks beautiful...

Your training plan looks really interesting, I haven't decided what plan to go with yet but definitely want to incorporate some speed training.

Thanks @dancingtodisney ! I will try to conceal my insane envy at you getting to run the Paris half. I have never been to DL Paris (or Europe for that matter) but I would love to one day get there. I'm really looking forward to your recap of that race if you are able to get in (I'm throwing out good registration karma your way.)

The training plan is something totally new for me. A mix of easy paces, and speed and tempo runs which are not as easy, and then long runs for endurance. I'm liking that each day that I run in the week is something different. Makes it harder to find a reason to skip them and also varies things up a bit. Slowing down a bit was weird for me at first, but then as I've been adding on miles my legs have appreciated it as the clock ticks away on my runs :)

The coolest thing about the race pics along Lake Michigan is usually in the Summer that whole beach is full of people in bathing suits. So to get a pic of it empty was something pretty cool.

I've been remiss is posting my training schedule. So I'll list this week's and then next's to give me a head-start.
I had my tempo run last night at the gym and it was much easier than last week mentally. Physically it's still a workout...running close to pace...but I knew I already did it last week, so mentally it was just a thousand times easier. I also was distracted by two women doing strength excersices where they were doing walking lunges with barbells across the walkway in front of my treadmill. I know staring at gym people can be "creepy" but I was in awe and they were right in front of me. Every lunge I just though "ouch" but also "dang, impressive!"
Our weather should be awesome this weekend...can't wait to get my LR in outside in normal-ish conditions finally!

2/14 week
Mon WB Watch the Bachelor (ha!) - seriously this is my reward system and relax night, no cleaning, no core stuff, no nothing
Tue EA 2.5 miles at EA pace 12:23
Thur TEMPO .5 mi WU pace, 2 miles TEMPO (9:37), .5 mi CD pace - note I did 9:40 because my treadmill isn't sophisticated enough to get to 9:37 :)
Sun LR 4.5 mi LR pace 11:14 (YAY, my first over 4 mile LR of this training)

2/21 week
Mon WB! Hometown week on the Bachelor - the most cringe-worthy week!
Tue EA 2.5 miles at EA pace 12:23
Thur TEMPO .5 mi WU pace, 2 miles TEMPO (9:37), .5 mi CD pace
Sun LR 4.5 mi at LR pace 11:14

NOTE: My sister & I signed up for the Sparkle Athletic virtual race for ragnar they are doing. So on 3/6 (unless we have to change the date) my 5 mile long run will be for charity and I'll be texting my sis the whole time to get her through her 5k in Texas. I'll post pics hopefully. And maybe this year I can get to Texas to do an organized race/walk with her :)

Last edited:
My 4.5 mile run went well today. My final pace was 11:10 and I was trying to stick close to 11:14 per my plan. I was fairly consistent. This long run pace seems to be in a good wheelhouse for me. I felt like I could have kept going which is encouraging. My hubby and kiddo popped in Alladin while I was out and there was plenty of movie left when I came back in. So I don't think they missed me too much :)

I was so happy to run outside again. Even though yesterday the weather was so much nicer, my hubby ran his long run yesterday. Lucky duck.
Had to play dodge'em with all the downed branches fro
Friday's big wind storm but I'll take that over snow/ice which seems to have all disappeared. I know this is a false start to spring but I'll still enjoy it while it lasts.

I kind of went all over the place as I didn't have a planned route. My Garmin map looks kind of like a bad game of snake (Nokia phone flashback!)
Lots and lots of runners out there today too.

It's been a little while since I posted on here. Probably because I don't have a race for a little while.
Last week my "long run" was not as fun as the previous week. I got some kind of something on Thursday and although I feel fine now, I had a mild winter "ugh." Not quite a cold, not quite normal. Like my whole body was running at 70% efficiency.
I was a bit optimistic with my short sleeves, ran one mile looped back to my house, threw on my pullover and back out the door I went. So at least I didn't just stay inside once home right?

Now I'll add this week's training schedule (which starts tonight), update on my next race and then something a little different. A new meal subscription!

2/28 week
Tue EA pace 2.5 miles (30:59 min) - treadmill
Thur TEMPO .5 mi WU, 2 mi @ TEMPO, .5 mi CD (32:23 min) - treadmill
Sat or Sun LR 4.5 mi (50:32 min)

I'll be running to all Sia tonight via Spotify. If I don't mind a whole set of one artist I'll start thinking of someone else to do for Thur. Since it will be a tempo run I'll need something extra energetic. Any suggestions from anyone?

I posted on the Running Thread this morning that I got my corral assignment for my Shamrock Shuffle and I think I registered my time incorrectly because I'm in the second to last corral. I try not to care about corral #'s in most situations, but I think my anxiety about getting a "good corral" for Disney so I could get short lines for characters kind of blurred by brain a bit. I forget that in non-disney races I don't have to worry about character lines or getting back to my resort for my Chef Mickey's adr. Haha!
Since it is wave start and we are in the last wave, it is a bummer to have to wait around forever to start BUT! we can hang out in a family members condo minutes from the race start and so then it's not actually so bad. Silver lining. If the crush of people slows me down I'm just gonna grin and bear it since I'll get my 8k PR no matter what happens.

And finally...something a little different.
Starting this week we are getting our first box from Blue Apron. It will be three 2 person meals that I will cook for us (kiddo will likely eat other things I make) and will be a good way to have a few "portion controlled" meals with fresh ingredients. I love to cook everyday but meal planning can be a pain when there are only two of us + kiddo, we are busy, sometimes hubby works late, and then veggies etc go to waste. So I may throw in some pictures of what I've attempted to make and any reviews of how it goes. I heard there's a lot of packaging but we have recycling that can take it. So I'll see if it works out or not. Hubby is only 3 lbs away from his first quarter goal weight so I feel like we are both heading in a good direction. But I think it's going to be harder for me since I cheat too much. Gotta change that.

I hate those days when you go out and its colder than you thought it would be. But kudos to you for bundling up and going back out instead of collapsing on a nice, warm chair or couch!

In terms of the race ... it's definitely rough when you're not corralled where you think you should be, but I love that you're trying to make the best of it. It will definitely be an 8K PR no matter what, and I'm sure it will be an awesome one!

I hate those days when you go out and its colder than you thought it would be. But kudos to you for bundling up and going back out instead of collapsing on a nice, warm chair or couch!

In terms of the race ... it's definitely rough when you're not corralled where you think you should be, but I love that you're trying to make the best of it. It will definitely be an 8K PR no matter what, and I'm sure it will be an awesome one!

Cozy couches are my #1 nemesis always!!!

And I think I've discovered that I was putting too much value on corral placement...as a way to prove my own "self worth" to myself. "Look at how great I am that I'm in corral C or I must be a better runner now because I'm in Corral B, etc." Frantically refreshing corral pages waiting for my bib # to see which one I get assigned to. To validate me or something. I literally use the same proof of time for every race...it's not like I've somehow gotten faster just because I'm in corral B vs G or whatever.
I think I've finally figured out that and I can sheepishly admit to it.
Yes, I'm a little worried about having to weave some in this instance...but I'm also now thinking that keeping myself from going out the gate TOO FAST because I'm surrounded by fast people may actually improve how I complete these 5 miles. Maybe it will feel better to pass some people than to be the one getting passed. It's a longer race than I'm used after-all and speed is not my main goal. Just doing it is.
So I've talked myself out of being dumb and sad over something so small. #storyofmylife

Personally, I like people passing me in the beginning of the race. It lets me know I'm going slow enough. And then Chomp, Chomp, Chomp here comes Pac-Man as I pass all of my friendly ghost competitors. More mental imagery for you. :D

Cozy couches are my #1 nemesis always!!!

And I think I've discovered that I was putting too much value on corral placement...as a way to prove my own "self worth" to myself. "Look at how great I am that I'm in corral C or I must be a better runner now because I'm in Corral B, etc." Frantically refreshing corral pages waiting for my bib # to see which one I get assigned to. To validate me or something. I literally use the same proof of time for every race...it's not like I've somehow gotten faster just because I'm in corral B vs G or whatever.
I think I've finally figured out that and I can sheepishly admit to it.
Yes, I'm a little worried about having to weave some in this instance...but I'm also now thinking that keeping myself from going out the gate TOO FAST because I'm surrounded by fast people may actually improve how I complete these 5 miles. Maybe it will feel better to pass some people than to be the one getting passed. It's a longer race than I'm used after-all and speed is not my main goal. Just doing it is.
So I've talked myself out of being dumb and sad over something so small. #storyofmylife

See, I just worry about the weaving. I don't care if I people pass me or not ... I just want to have a clear lane so that when I'm ready to pass people I can. I like your approach - it'll be nice to be passing people instead of people passing you, and hopefully if you're not trying to "keep up" with people, you can control your pace better and not go too fast too soon.

image.jpg So while my hubs was at the car shop getting some maintenance. My first trial of Blue Apron showed up. We are going to test it out this week and then decide if we like it. 2 person portion for three meals. I'll be making my kiddo her own food those three nights. I cook every night anyways but meal planning has gotten a bit repetitive. So here's pics from the delivery. I'll post my attempts this week (gonna try the steak dish tonight.)

Oh and my hubs said car place says 90 minutes but kiddo fell asleep so HE RAN HOME!! last year it would have been an uber call. Guess things have changed for us :)

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Curious to see how Blue Apron goes for you guys! One of my BFFs has used them and LOVES it.

That's so awesome that your husband ran home!! :worship:

Curious to see how Blue Apron goes for you guys! One of my BFFs has used them and LOVES it.

That's so awesome that your husband ran home!! :worship:

The first attempt went ok. Gonna be a challenge when my kiddo isn't watching Cinderella though, haha. So I'm reserving final call for Monday night after work. I did enjoy the kale more than I thought I would!

image.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter