• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Roxymama's 5k to Marathon, Time to Collect Another Castle

It's Tuesday, so make sure to go out (or hit the treadmill) and run!

I did 3.15 miles in 36 minutes. I can't wait to hear how your run goes!

It's Tuesday, so make sure to go out (or hit the treadmill) and run!

I did 3.15 miles in 36 minutes. I can't wait to hear how your run goes!

I think I can run outside today! My daughter has her 3 year old doctor's appt at 3:30pm today. So I took a half day off work. I'm going to get home and throw on the running stuff and head outdoors. I should have plenty of time to get a run in and get showered and dressed and eat something well before having to get the kiddo out of daycare. So NO EXCUSES right?

I'm kinda sorta wanting to run to the college down the street (they have a little lake circle) and back.

Also high five on the good 5k+ time!!!

I think I can run outside today! My daughter has her 3 year old doctor's appt at 3:30pm today. So I took a half day off work. I'm going to get home and throw on the running stuff and head outdoors. I should have plenty of time to get a run in and get showered and dressed and eat something well before having to get the kiddo out of daycare. So NO EXCUSES right?

I'm kinda sorta wanting to run to the college down the street (they have a little lake circle) and back.

This time of year its hard to have time to run outside - so definitely do it! Running down to the college sounds like a great idea - so you should definitely try it!

Also high five on the good 5k+ time!!!
Thanks!

I ran! Was a lovely 71 and sunny. Ran before I ate lunch so I didn't have the excuse of a full belly. In hindsight I shoulda snacked healthily at least a little earlier.
I did two 10 min miles. Well 9:54 avg, but pretty consistent. I'd love to say I was just doing two miles to taper for my 5k this weekend but I actually kind of bonked out a little. I think it was partially physical (I am still getting back in shape from my lil run break) and mental (It was already 1;45 and another mile would cut into my lunch and getting ready to get my kiddo time. Tired + excuses for the win.
But I ran! And I'll run again Thursday and start out slower and run longer.

Last edited:

Yay! Great job getting out there and getting in those two miles! It's definitely rough coming back after a break, but you're doing great and hopefully Thursday's run will be even better!

Sounds like you and I are having similar (awesome) weather. Glad you got to take advantage of it!

So elaborating on yesterday. I did not run to the college because I realized it was a weekday and lunchtime and I just didn't want to run around there with all the college kids out and about. I'll do it next time on the weekend when they are all still sleeping and its quiet and peaceful. So I did my "laps."
I have a little mile square "lap" that I do that starts outside my house...goes down two big blocks for .25 miles, turn right and down 4 little blocks for .25 miles, turn right .25, turn right .25 and back to home for a full mile.
I like this because I can put my water bottle on the front porch for sip breaks and also because the miles feel very do-able as I just have to get to the next .25 mile turn, etc. And I'm always back at home if for any reason I need to be back at home (like a bathroom break though I've yet to take one or if the weather is bad,etc.)
BUT...the down side is I'm always back at home after each mile. And HOME is such an easy place to just say "Eh, that's my finish line, I'm done" Or "in .25 miles I'll be home so then maybe I'll stop." And especially if I'm hungry home is where lunch is! Which was my issue yesterday.

And the one thing I keep trying to tell myself is that during a race you can't pull the finish line any closer to you...you still have to run all the way to it. So I think for my next outside run I need to decide on my distance before I lace them up and then run all the way away from my house for the first half of my run and then back home the rest. That way I can't really cut my workout short. Or if I want to do my little block thing, maybe I'll take a 5 minute walk to the next block of houses north of my house and do it over there. And then walk home.

And those are my thoughts of the day.

I so agree with you on the dangers of running by the house...it's just soooo tempting to run right home. :eek:

So elaborating on yesterday. I did not run to the college because I realized it was a weekday and lunchtime and I just didn't want to run around there with all the college kids out and about. I'll do it next time on the weekend when they are all still sleeping and its quiet and peaceful. So I did my "laps."
I have a little mile square "lap" that I do that starts outside my house...goes down two big blocks for .25 miles, turn right and down 4 little blocks for .25 miles, turn right .25, turn right .25 and back to home for a full mile.
I like this because I can put my water bottle on the front porch for sip breaks and also because the miles feel very do-able as I just have to get to the next .25 mile turn, etc. And I'm always back at home if for any reason I need to be back at home (like a bathroom break though I've yet to take one or if the weather is bad,etc.)
BUT...the down side is I'm always back at home after each mile. And HOME is such an easy place to just say "Eh, that's my finish line, I'm done" Or "in .25 miles I'll be home so then maybe I'll stop." And especially if I'm hungry home is where lunch is! Which was my issue yesterday.

And the one thing I keep trying to tell myself is that during a race you can't pull the finish line any closer to you...you still have to run all the way to it. So I think for my next outside run I need to decide on my distance before I lace them up and then run all the way away from my house for the first half of my run and then back home the rest. That way I can't really cut my workout short. Or if I want to do my little block thing, maybe I'll take a 5 minute walk to the next block of houses north of my house and do it over there. And then walk home.

And those are my thoughts of the day.

A 1 mile loop sounds like torture to me. My neighborhood loop is 1.75 miles and I hate running multiple laps around it. With the time change its a little to risky to go out to the other areas because I have to run/cross a busy hwy without a shoulder. Good luck with your upcoming 5k!

Not my most exciting update, but last night I did 40 minutes on the treadmill. 5 minute walk to loosen everything up, 30 minutes running at a pretty easy pace...I did pump up the pace at the end for a little while just because...and then 5 min cool down walk.
I decided because I hate tracking miles on the treadmill...it's always so annoying based on how much further I run in same time and effort outside...that I'd just run for the minutes.

I think that's it for me until raceday Sunday! Tomorrow the family is going to Expo all together. I like Saturday expo days, much more relaxed than trying to commando go during my lunch break. I may actually get a chance to actually browse booths for the first time!

My hubby's race goal is under 36 minutes...he totally can do it as he's always come under that time.
My goal was going to be under 31 minutes...but I think I've decided to have a different goal. My goal will be to just have a good time while still feeling strong and fast and then eat a ton of chocolate afterwards. I'll start out around 9:30 to 10 min mile pace and then see how my body feels. If I'm feeling great and pump it up I won't stop myself either :)
This is probably my last race until Disney UNLESS I decide to do the Turkey 4 miler on Thanksgiving, but that will be a sign up morning of type of thing I think based on our family turkey dining schedule.

Last edited:
image.jpg Tomorrow is race day! Here's a pic of my race expo swag and I'll write up a report tomorrow after I actually run this thing!

@SarahDisney i know this ones on your future race radar...there was lots of cute stuff and the jackets fit great. Not too tight for me for once!

All of that stuff looks awesome!! I love the jacket! And the Sweaty Band is really cute too!

Have an awesome race!!!

All of that stuff looks awesome!! I love the jacket! And the Sweaty Band is really cute too!

Have an awesome race!!!

Thanks! The sweaty band expo purchase has become a tradition for me now. I couldn't pass up the little mug motif!

Thanks! The sweaty band expo purchase has become a tradition for me now. I couldn't pass up the little mug motif!

That's an awesome tradition! I got a sweaty band at the princess expo in February ... not sure if I'll get another one in January because it really doesn't help with my hair, but they have so many cute patterns that I still might.

I'll post more today, but spoiler alert...

I had a great run and the chocalate goodies were worth running for! Finished 29:46 but course was long at 3.3+ per everyone. I will still take it!!! Felt strong.
image.jpg

@roxymama Glad you had a good run at the Hot Chocolate Race! I love the goodies and this race is definitely strong on my radar for next year. I live in Milwaukee, so the Chicago one is the one I'd do. I see it's scheduled for 11/6 next year. :)

@*DisneyDreamer I am going to post my race recap and more pictures tonight! I really loved it and I think we lucked out with the weather. Stay tuned!

Do you have any Milwaukee races for 2016 to recommend?

@*DisneyDreamer I am going to post my race recap and more pictures tonight! I really loved it and I think we lucked out with the weather. Stay tuned!

Do you have any Milwaukee races for 2016 to recommend?
I'm looking forward to reading it! As for Milwaukee races, I did the Summerfest Rock 'n Sole for the first time this year and I'd recommend it. It's held the second weekend in June, a couple weeks before Summerfest (you get a free ticket for the festival with registration). They have 3 event distances that same morning (a 5K, quarter marathon and half). I did the quarter this year, and am considering the half for next year to be my first one (should have been Wine and Dine, but we know how that turned out :( ).

Hot Chocolate Chicago 5k Race Report

I had hemmed an hawwed about doing this race for several months because I was unsure about whether I'd be ready for the 5k or the 15k. I really didn't have a huge desire yet to run 9.3 miles, but the 15k-ers receive the most beautiful chocolate bar medal. In the end I decided to go ahead and run the 5k and enjoy all the other race swag and goodies and just experience what I heard was a very large and crazy race atmosphere. My father-in-law says in terms of size that it probably ranks third in Chicago behind the Marathon and the Shamrock Shuffle.
When I signed up for myself and hubby, I received an alert that because our "expected finish times" where less than 11:30 pace (I think?) then we needed a proof of time to receive preferred corrals. I submitted both our PR's from this year and got an email back within a day that we had been approved. Communication was great leading up to the event, very professional! And I know that many disboard runners have said how they wished they would get approval emails after their time submissions, so I totally understand that feeling now that I have done it for the first time.

Saturday Expo:
hotchoexpo.jpg
I appreciated that this race was on a Sunday, which meant we could wait until Saturday to go to the expo and not have to rush around on a workday to pick things up on our lunch breaks. And this time my daughter got to come with us! Grandpa came too since he last minute decided to run it with us! It was at the Hyatt Regency in the lower convention area and was easy to find.
My daughter was excited to be handed a tiny chocolate square on her way in by a guy dressed as a big marshmallow and another by a volunteer. She was not going to say "Hi" to Ronald McDonald who was greeting kids though. So now we know...marshmallows are good but clowns are scary. They had a pretty nifty set up for printing bibs. You walked up with your print out from the computer, they scanned it and then a sticker printed out of a machine that was affixed to a bib from your wave and scanned again. The sticker had our name and our corral letter. I did notice that at least half the printers must have had the stickers in backwards because people had these lime green floating blobs in the middle of their names instead of over their corrals!
I got Corral C, hubby was F and grandpa was M....though he was able to switch to H which was good because he is pretty fast, he just had signed up too late for original proof.
We picked up our race jackets. OMG are these things nice! Embroidered logo, insulated, seems well made. I have not washed mine yet so hoping it holds up nicely. There was two slightly odd things about the jacket pick up...You were not supposed to open your jacket bag at all to try it on. You had to walk to the other side of the expo to try on samples ones (which was packed) and then if you wanted to exchange you had to walk all the way back and only could get a new one if you had not opened yours. Also the gear check bags were not in our jacket bags and you had to notice the 4 people handing them out. I knew what they were by looking at them (clear bags = gear check) but I'd imagine all the first timers would have walked right past. I noted that on my post-race survey.
We didn't spend too long looking at all the booths. But I did pick up a sweatyband that had little mugs of cocoa on it which was SO CUTE per daughter. And we got to play inflatable basketball in the kids area. We had to drag her away from that. Also they had people handing out full bags of cocoa swirled JetPuff marshmallows because they were a sponsor. Would you believe that I walked past the JetPuff people 4 times??!! Yeah, I gamed the system. I have a whole bag here at work with me for occasional snacking this week.

When we were done snooping around we headed upstairs and heard from hubby's mom that she was done with her hair appointment and was nearby so she came to meet us for brunch. There was a little hotel breakfast looking place so we just did that. And then walked over to the Maggie Daley park which anyone with kids who visits Chicago HAS TO GO TO! It's amazing...just keep your kids close so you don't lose them!
So I would say that was good Disney practice for our group. Expo-hotel brunch-walk to a park-have fun-wake up next morning to run.

Sunday Race Day!
Sunday morning we woke up early (4:45am to be exact.) OOF. Had to ask myself why I decided to start being a runner again, like I do every time I wake up early. But the kiddo was wide awake and ready to go to Grandma's...she's an early bird for sure. Wish I could borrow some of that energy. Hubby & I had showered the night before and set all our clothes out just like all the good dis-posters always do. We even packed a clean clothes bag for changing and this time I remembered clean dry socks and deodarent!!! We are lucky that the in-laws live in a condo building downtown and so their place is our de-facto gear check and parking lot. So we drove down to the condo and dropped off the baby to Grandma, took pit stops in the bathroom, and picked up Grandpa. We had a 15min-ish walk to the corral area. This race has the same starting line as the Chicago marathon and same finish line too. So it's like I ran the marathon, right...just removing 23.1 miles of it! It was a bit more chaotic than I expected. There were 45,000 people participating per the announcer!! EEP!
The best I could figure out was there were corrals A through W with A-K starting at 7am and the rest at 7:45 (so they weren't even letting them load in yet) and then after that a totally seperate 3k walk. There were huge signs for the first wave of corrals saying NO WALKING! I'm not sure about the back corral but I thought in my head "yeah, ok, what about run/walkers or just people who need a lil break?" But I guess the signs were good so that people knew not to start off walking a 5k and get mowed down by runners??? Honestly I thought the signs were a little over-kill. Once we figured out how to enter our corral areas (took us a while) it was easy for hubby and grandpa to get into theirs, but I had to go through three checkpoints to get into Corral C. I saw people getting turned away a bunch. By the third checkpoint I started thinking "How am I included in this group of super athletic humans" "Do I belong here" "Are they sure I should be here and not farther back"? But sure enough there was a "pace group" with pace signs that were right where I planned to run this race at about 9:15 to 9:30 and they were in my corral. I later learned there were the same exact pace groups back in like three other corrals, so that confused me a little but I was happy to be up in this one. It meant I could warm up!
Did I mention that it was 39 degrees out? I had my long race leggings, my new hot chocolate jacket, gloves, and headband. So I was warm enough once I was moving, but I was cold while waiting. Corral A went off at 7am, then they had us all moved up and unloaded B about 3 min later, and then C moved up and off we went. hubby later told me they were doing about 4-5 minutes between corrals after mine left. It took a half hour before he crossed the start in F. (spoiler alert, when I finished they were still releasing corrals, and when I was enjoying my post-race goodies, they were still releasing corrals) So this is a good race to submit proof!
Had phone problems again...my music would not work. UGH! My GPS did fine with my alerts, but two minutes before start and my music app just stuck on loading. I'm proud of myself for not panicking...shrugging my shoulders...and deciding to just run without it. But still bummed, I think I need a new phone.
BUT what a cool course! We started by going down-hill (YAY!) to lower wacker drive and running down there felt really cool. Like I was batman! My hubby later told me that he panicked because he thought we were running above wacker based on the maps and then maybe he had gone the wrong way with the 15k-ers. But it was the right way. Then tiny up-hill (BOO!) to Clarke St and eventually over to Michigan Ave . There were like three giant inflatables showing us where to go for 5k vs 15k at the split off and they were in the colors of our bibs. It couldn't have been more obvious and I appreciated that. The 5k turned at Michigan and Roosevelt and all the 15k people kept going straight. At this point I had run my most consistent race yet. Very even pace throughout the whole thing. I didn't mind no music. I wished I had it at the very end though. And then the HILL OF DOOM up Roosevelt to Columbus drive just like all the marathoners get to do at 26 miles. Did I walk at all on the hill? Yes, for about 10 steps just to stop the burning, then I noticed a race photographer at the top and that motivated me to start running again because gotta get a good running picture right? Also green shirt guy passed me so I just "attached myself to him" and mentally said "get me up this hill stranger guy." The turn onto Columbus for the finish I felt awesome. My GPS said .1 miles to go so I sprinted....and then it said 3.1 reached 28:34...BUT the finish line was still at least 2 blocks or probably more away. ACK...green shirt guy was gone so red shirt guy was my new pacer and I literally was single file behind him (enough not to be too creepy) and I just willed myself to keep pounding the feet.
I gave my signature dorky tiny waves to all my imaginary admirers as I finished. My official race results were 29:46 and my GPS said I ran 3.4 miles! I thought it was due to a satellite error while under Wacker Drive. It turns out lots of runners were saying the course was slightly long, but that also could be because everyone's GPS did the same thing? Hubby's GPS told him 3.36 and Gramps said 3.38. That just means hubby did the best job running in the straightest line!
Proud of my time no matter the final distance! I didn't feel as well trained as recent months and was hoping for sub 31 minutes. I chatted with a gentleman named Bob near the water as we both waited for our family members near the finish. I can't help being a chatter. You can probably tell that by my journal.
Hubby came in at 36:10 and Gramps at 35:47. Both were happy with their runs so it was a happy outing all around. I feel the course must have been long though based on the times these two normally get. And neither walked any steps up the hill of doom, so they did better than me on that.
And then the best part...CHOCOLATE!!!
hotchoc2.jpg
All of Grant Park was full of race finishers holding big mugs full of chocolate goodies. We headed to the finisher tents and handed in our little finisher ticket that ripped off our paper race bibs and were given these really cool plastic snack bowls that looked like giant mugs. Inside was a round holder for a cup of hot chocolate and then a holder for chocolate fondue and then the rest of the space was filled with goodies to dip in the fondue. Banana, marshmallow, cookies, rice crispy treats, pretzels...and wet wipes. It was the tastiest thing right at the time when I could eat a horse. I'm a bit of a choco snob and this was GOOD! I was jealous of the 15k finishers with their really cool medals that looked like chocolate bars so maybe I'll have to work my way up to that distance for next year. Yeah...definitely going to do that. Anyone want to run with me and help me to the finish?
hotchoc1.jpg
hotchoc3.jpg
hotchoc4.jpg

In conclusion the only thing I would change is having them give out bags for people to carry their messy mugs home with them...or portable sinks to rinse out the chocolate before it hardens. I know with Chicago weather the bags might be a better option. Next year I will stuff a bag in my pocket. It's a nice keepsake and although probably not microwavable or dishwasher safe...I still took mine home to use as a snack bowl for chips and things. I don't want to mention how many people I saw throwing theirs away because it made me sad.
I HIGHLY RECCOMMEND this race and it was a good close to the season...until Marathon Weekend...or until I find some turkey or santa race I have to do :)
hotchomug.jpg

Great race report! That's really odd about their process for you to try on the jackets...:confused3

And it does sound like great practice for Disney...what a HUGE race though! Disney's 5K will be about 1/3 of the size, I think.

As for the extra distance, did you notice yourself weaving around people a lot? That would add some, but 0.3 miles over a 5K seems like a lot. Hmm...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter