Roxymama's 5k to Marathon, Time to Collect Another Castle

I was planning to come here and check up on you one day this week, but my week has been busier than anticipated.

Tell us what's happening!! I'm sure it's semi-interesting, even if it's the same old stuff!

@SarahDisney I'm Alive! Since you asked, I will share with you all the amazing things I'm up to. Get ready for stream of conscious writing and probably some terrible grammar and spelling mistakes!

We are re-modeling our bathroom (totally gutting and re-doing) which is really exciting and much needed if not a whole lot to swallow monetarily. And so the last three weeks our upstairs is a bit crazy and we've been basement people, using the basement small bathroom. But it's all looking really good and I'll make sure to post a before and after once we are done. I'm thinking early next week!
I guess sandwiched in there is that my husband is kicking backside at work but he's had to travel AND spend a lot of late nights there. I feel bad for him because I know he loves his time at night with our kiddo and I know he's frustrated that his new excercisey life is getting all screwed up. He's got a big spring triathlon he's gearing up for and he's managed to get all his swimming in but he's wanting to do more bike and run and it's been hard for him.
Late nights for him = hard for me to get out too.

BUT IT'S SUMMER! A lot of people probably hate summer with running. But for me it is the freedom of sunlight (omg, that sounds so corny and hippy dippy.) What I meant to say was that even if it's stupid hot, I at least get to run outside at night on days where he doesn't get home until after 7:30 or 8...because we generally have just enough sunlight to get some miles in. It's the 8:30+ nights that are harder to deal with, mostly because I've grown a weird adverse reaction to getting myself to the gym.

Case in point....last night I should have gone running. It is my "tempo" night if you will. But I wasn't able to go out until 8:48 and the idea that I could run outside tonight vs going to the gym last night was too tempting that I just skipped anything. So I HAVE TO RUN tonight! Otherwise I will beat myself up over it.

As far as training goes...I'm a bit of a free-floating run-blob with little direction. I choose my plan literally the moment I'm getting my clothes on. Based primarily on weather, how much time I have to run, and how much time my husband needs to run that day. So, basically, no plan. I'm just trying to get the miles in as much as I can weekly. I'm sticking with the paces that were set up for me in the Shamrock Shuffle plan since my fitness post ouch-foot seems to still be pretty good. On the hottest days I let myself go a bit slower to equal the same feeling of the effort. But my days of Easy, Tempo, and Long get pretty out of order during the week. And I'm trying not to add too much distance without "ramping back up" if you will. So I'm on 4 miles now and by the time my 10k comes around in mid July I'll be totally fine back up to 10k distance. I'm also trying to add more back to back type days since I'll be doing a 5k/10k challenge but so far that's been a lost cause.
I think I want to do Friday run tonight, run again Sunday. Then next weekend I have a real 5k race called the Soldier Field 5k. I am so excited because the race FINISHES ON THE FIELD!!! at Soldier Field where the Bears play. I am going to try to run my best race IF it is not too hot out. I guess I'll try to run my best race even if it is too hot, it will just probably be slower than if it was breezy. Not looking to PR but would certainly not mind a sub-30 or as close to a lower 29 as possible.
The weather report says it will be in the low 70's in the morning and cloudy with sun spells, high that day of 86. So shorts and tank I think. Eep...my first shorts and tank race...don't laugh...it's a big step for me in the acceptance of my runner body.
My hubby is running (he says not to run with him...he's going at a very specific pace that he wants to run his triathlon at) and my father-in-law and my buddy. I think we may all end up starting together, "lone wolfing" our races and drinking beers together afterwards.
Then I think I want to run a 4.5 mile easy run the next day as a back to back and see how that goes.

My thought with my upcoming mid-July Rock n Roll challenge is. No matter what shape I am in, I am doing it and I'm getting all three medals and I am going to have a great time. It could be very very hot. I think I will do one run easy and one run as a race. I have not decided which yet. I feel like I will know better in next few weeks as I ramp up my mileage more. Do I want to try for a PR in 5k or a PR in 10k OR neither? we shall see. Edited to add that I'm thinking maybe I want to try to talk my hubby into running the 5k with me (like along side me the whole time) and we just take it easy and have fun running together and then try to PR my 10k since my last and only 10k I ran at a slower pace than I originally intended coming off a cold and it was full of demon-bridges. I think beating at 1:07 is going to be easier than PRing my 5k without a better speed plan in place.
I told you all I was a floating blob of no-plans and indecision!

My new shoes so far are being friendly and I have not felt overly fatigued or ouchy. I'm just trying not to go from a month of hardly anything right up to my 10k without being smart about it.

Now what I'm super excited for....Hot Chocolate 15k on 10/30! If I did my math right it is exactly 15 weeks after my 10k. Sooooo....I think I want to get a new plan going right away after my July race and I think I'm going to change from blobby-no-plan back to super-plan-girl for that endeavor.

I'll add a picture or two of my gourmet cooking if I get the chance soon. :)

Call me crazy, but ... I kinda love the stream of consciousness :)

I get what you're saying about summer running. It's so much easier when there's more daylight available for running ... but on the flipside, when you don't have that daylight time (or when the weather is all wrong), it's much harder to get to the gym

I'm kinda freeforming my plan right now too because I have no races planned in the near future. As crazy as it sounds ... I kinda like that idea for the summer. You know what you need to get done, but when the weather can be brutally hot, you may not want to stick to the plan because it could be too much. I'm no expert, but the way I see it ... getting the miles in is what's most important. Everything else is just a bonus.

In terms of the back-to-back ... when I did that in January, I only did about 3-4 back-to-back practices. It wasn't too bad. I think that as long as you're not all-out running both races, that doesn't need to be the focus of your training. But that's just what I found from my experience.

Well I drove home from work but stopped at the bakery for hubby's Father's Day cake. Just half a cake...half a small cake...bc we are "healthy" now.
And gave him his presents early...a backyard golf net and tee-box set up and a whiffle ball set up to teach kiddo. Then I made huevos rancheros quesadillas from scratch...sauce and salsa from scratch too. Then I actually ran my two miles at tempo sandwiched by warmup/cool down.
Gave my kiddo a bath while I was all sweaty. Did story chair and tucked her in and then showered.
I've got dishes to do but I'm taking three minutes to be lazy.
Phew and whew. I should have kept my Garmin on cause I feel like I walked the same amount I ran tonight.

So no excuses tonight. But now I'm literally exhausted. Maybe I'll get to sleep in until 6:30am tomorrow. That would be amazing (no sarcasm.)

So I ran Friday and I ran Sunday evenings over the weekend, which are generally lazy times for me (so I am a bit proud of myself that I did it) and OMG has it been so nice at night even though the days have been so sweltering. I mean, it's still hot...just not burn your face off hot like at noon. It's like once the shade comes out it is a perfect temp. Tonight is rainy but it's my normal night off so I like that the weather is cooperating.
Tomorrow will be my last training run prior to my 5k on Saturday so I'm thinking I'll try to put in 2 maybe 2.5 easy miles in, like my "EB" pace.
My father-in-law is our packet picker-upper, so no expos or anything for me this weekend.
Saturday's 5k is called the Chicago Bears 5k and it replaces last years Super Bears Shuffle which my husband and father-in-law ran together. Last year's was in the Fall and so just ran near Soldier Field, but they said they moved it because they got permission during the off-season to let people run ON THE FIELD! Down the field and back up and back down a little bit again too with the finish line on the field.
Although I generally don't take pictures while I am running (except WDW) I am thinking about taking my phone with me for pictures this time. Looks like they will have multiple DJ stations all along the course so I'm going sans-music or headphones.
It's going to be really hot. It's at 8am and I think it will already be about 76 and humid. So time is not a goal at all. Best effort is though so I'm not going to do anything but my best, even if my best isn't my Fall cool weather, trained best.
I was debating wearing my orange sparkle skirt with my Ditka shirt. My fun Ditka shirt is navy blue and kind of thick tech material so I may do a non-Bear's themed tank and shorts instead so that being cool trumps fitting the theme. Maybe I'll just wear my orange sparkle skirt with a totally clashing tank, haha.

I have a spreadsheet already up and on my computer, crunching my possible training plan for Tues 7/19 through my 10/30 15k big GOAL race and I am excited to be serious again about something. I'm using my Shamrock Shuffle paces for the excel currently and then I may ask for advise if I should adjust them or not after I do my July 10k.
I think I am going to run the 5k on 7/16 easy...I'm talking like 11+min miles instead of 9:30-10. And then run my 10k in the 10+ wheelhouse if the weather permits me to do that. I don't think I want to run that 10k right now fast if I'm also running the 5k fast, I don't think my legs will like that. And if I decided to run the 5k fast, I think running 10k even slow on tired legs won't be as much fun as what I have in mind.

Soooo...in summary. Please tear apart or highlight anything on the below if you think it needs fixing. :)
Thursday: run 2 miles easy
Saturday: Bears 5k at best effort pace (perfect world I sub 30, hot-reality is I could very easily non sub-30 but I'm gonna give it a go.)
Sunday:LR pace 4-5 miles as "challenge" practice. Trying for all 5.
6/27 week Tue/Thur/Sat: easy A run, tempo run, LR of 5 or 5.25 miles
7/4 week: Mon/Thur/Sat: think I'll run on 4th of July since I'll be home. Why not? easy A run, tempo run, LR of 5.5 miles
7/11 week: Tue/Thur??/Sat/Sun: easy B run, take Thur off or do 1-2 mile shakeout?, easy 5k at LR pace, 10k at best effort pace

Think I will be ok that I didn't get any higher than 5.5 miles in my training up to the 10k? My foot injury had gotten me a bit behind what I wanted to do.

So much to think about. :)

Hey, I just got an email from Hot Chocolate that the swag has been announced.
Take a look at this beauty. I have to earn this!
_3245fb321067874c05933db173b15975.jpg

Women's jacket on the right. Happy it will be totally different than the one I have from last year which I love, but nice to have something different.

_95eab20cc8284f91a9871635dde70674.jpg

And the best part...
2MzneuMP2mq7ALWq_f7gcAu24N5H9Uoj2_aM8btRtopdw6Id_j76cmiDOmSEXA5GwYKDPYtOIWQt1L7aSH68F21N9wuxtN4Pjm4-vqOHAUeBoeuKaC3iykIYQzmMwp1DsKaou8JgcCr31HfV3IWYvfhv_ou0VOgT=s0-d-e1-ft

It is October yet?

Soooo...in summary. Please tear apart or highlight anything on the below if you think it needs fixing. :)
Thursday: run 2 miles easy
Saturday: Bears 5k at best effort pace (perfect world I sub 30, hot-reality is I could very easily non sub-30 but I'm gonna give it a go.)
Sunday:LR pace 4-5 miles as "challenge" practice. Trying for all 5.
6/27 week Tue/Thur/Sat: easy A run, tempo run, LR of 5 or 5.25 miles
7/4 week: Mon/Thur/Sat: think I'll run on 4th of July since I'll be home. Why not? easy A run, tempo run, LR of 5.5 miles
7/11 week: Tue/Thur??/Sat/Sun: easy B run, take Thur off or do 1-2 mile shakeout?, easy 5k at LR pace, 10k at best effort pace

Think I will be ok that I didn't get any higher than 5.5 miles in my training up to the 10k? My foot injury had gotten me a bit behind what I wanted to do.

So much to think about. :)

My advice:

Sunday do 4 miles at EB. Running back to back tough runs should be saved for race week.

Thursday week of race - yes to shake out run of 2 miles is a good idea. You'll be too stiff if you go from tues to sat without running.

All of the rest looks great!

Hey, I just got an email from Hot Chocolate that the swag has been announced.
Take a look at this beauty. I have to earn this!
_3245fb321067874c05933db173b15975.jpg

Women's jacket on the right. Happy it will be totally different than the one I have from last year which I love, but nice to have something different.

_95eab20cc8284f91a9871635dde70674.jpg

And the best part...
2MzneuMP2mq7ALWq_f7gcAu24N5H9Uoj2_aM8btRtopdw6Id_j76cmiDOmSEXA5GwYKDPYtOIWQt1L7aSH68F21N9wuxtN4Pjm4-vqOHAUeBoeuKaC3iykIYQzmMwp1DsKaou8JgcCr31HfV3IWYvfhv_ou0VOgT=s0-d-e1-ft

It is October yet?

Man that swag makes that run really tempting. That medal looks awesome!

That Hot Chocolate swag is awesome!!

In terms of the plan ... I'd definitely say go easy on Sunday. Don't push yourself too hard the day after a race.
I don't think I ever did any sort of race pace or higher-level back-to-back runs - my back to backs were all easy effort. For me at least it was more about getting myself and my body used to the idea of running two days in a row (since it's something I hadn't really done before), and I figured that once I knew that my body was okay with back to back, it could handle race days back to back.
But that's just my experience .... your experience may vary.

Also ... pretty awesome that you will be running on the field!!

My advice:

Sunday do 4 miles at EB. Running back to back tough runs should be saved for race week.

Thursday week of race - yes to shake out run of 2 miles is a good idea. You'll be too stiff if you go from tues to sat without running.

All of the rest looks great!

Man that swag makes that run really tempting. That medal looks awesome!

Good ideas! I'm going to go with that. Let's cross our toes I can stick to this plan for the few weeks coming up.
The hot chocolate has really good swag and that's why I was so tempted to finally break out of my 5k thing at the end of last year. Totally got hypnotized by the sea of people with chocolate bar medals! I think last year it ended up being the third biggest race behind the Chicago marathon and Shamrock Shuffle and I think Rock n Roll half/10k may have been fourth. I can't find the article on it, but I know I read that somewhere. It feels like quite the event.
Have you ran a 15k? It will be a PR for me as long as I get myself across the finish line.
If you don't do Chicago there's ones in St. Louis, Columbus, Minneapolis and other non-midwest places. I'm being an enabler.

That Hot Chocolate swag is awesome!!

In terms of the plan ... I'd definitely say go easy on Sunday. Don't push yourself too hard the day after a race.
I don't think I ever did any sort of race pace or higher-level back-to-back runs - my back to backs were all easy effort. For me at least it was more about getting myself and my body used to the idea of running two days in a row (since it's something I hadn't really done before), and I figured that once I knew that my body was okay with back to back, it could handle race days back to back.
But that's just my experience .... your experience may vary.

Also ... pretty awesome that you will be running on the field!!

I think that is also good advise for this weekend!
I really hope the field is a cool experience. I guess even if they cover it (like they do sometimes for concerts) at least it will still be the same kind of atmosphere of being inside a giant stadium. I guess I should just mentally be ready for anything since we won't be able to see what the setup will be until we are running that last .25 miles or whatever it is. I'm a "super-type-A-planner" so I guess it will be fun to have an experience that I can't try to plan for.

You find the coolest races! First the zoo, now the field!

Good luck this weekend!

Thanks! I have a slight advantage that I live so close to the city. And there are just so many races in Chicago-land. Makes it easy to find variety. But rewind to last year when I was just starting out, I really had no idea anything existed other than local bare-bones 5ks and huge Chicago marathons. I was clue-less of all the themed stuff. I think finding "out of the ordinary" races has helped me keep going. No way I think I even try to sniff a 15k so soon if there wasn't this cool themed one begging me to run it. And I eventually want to do a half mostly just as an excuse for another Disney weekend :)

Good ideas! I'm going to go with that. Let's cross our toes I can stick to this plan for the few weeks coming up.
The hot chocolate has really good swag and that's why I was so tempted to finally break out of my 5k thing at the end of last year. Totally got hypnotized by the sea of people with chocolate bar medals! I think last year it ended up being the third biggest race behind the Chicago marathon and Shamrock Shuffle and I think Rock n Roll half/10k may have been fourth. I can't find the article on it, but I know I read that somewhere. It feels like quite the event.
Have you ran a 15k? It will be a PR for me as long as I get myself across the finish line.
If you don't do Chicago there's ones in St. Louis, Columbus, Minneapolis and other non-midwest places. I'm being an enabler.

Never run a 15k so it would be a PR for me as well. Might have to add it to the list because it's not too far away. Not this year though, I'll still be in recovery mode during that time.

My plan last night was to run 2 miles easy (EB pace) just to keep loose for my race tomorrow. I managed 1.75 because it got too dark outside and it seemed silly to drive to the gym for .25 miles. I probably could've gotten 2 if I ran faster but that would defeat the purpose.
Common theme before every race: I don't think I'll be that fast* tomorrow. But if my body decides we are okay with being fast* then I will allow it :)
Fast* for me = avg pace starting with a 9

So loose plan for this weekend:

Today
Hydrate like a smart person and not like a coffee addict :)
Dinner - sorry pizza night; we will not be eating you tonight. We will be eating normally. Any suggestion of pizza from any member of the family will be shot down.
Set out clothes, laundry for hubby who ran out of clean shorts. Set out clean clothes and toiletries.
Freeze some water bottles
Bed time before 9:30pm.

Saturday morning
Normal routine of clif bar, water, praying my digestion and anxiety are kind to me, packing the car, rousing the kiddo, etc.
Drive to the city and park at parent's condo conveniently located across from Soldier Field
Still about a 10-15 min to Soldier Field depending on speed in which we move while going over there
Bringing throwaway washclothes to cover in cold water for us.
NO IDEA how the corrals or non-corrals work, no mention of waves, total unknown
If there are pace signs I will line up still in the 9-10 area but I think farther up this time. Last race I was closer to the 11min pace sign and I think that was a mistake due to swerving around people.
No music this time
Don't start faster than 9:00, ideally first mile not faster than 9:30, cause that's always a recipe for burnout.
Then just see what happens.
Use water stations for dumping water on me if needed.
Don't beat myself up if heat = not ideal race speed
Smile a ton on the field and try to wave to my kiddo if I can find her and grandma in the crowd
Get huge medal, Get a sweaty hubby hug, Drink a beer
And that's it.

Then we shower at the condo, change and go to a family bbq that afternoon. Where we try to stay awake while the kiddo goes nutballs on the swingset for a few hours.

Sunday - run 4 miles easy to see what my body thinks about that

Write a race recap to prove I did it...no matter how sweaty...I apologize in advance if it will be very sweaty :)

The Chicago Bears 5k Race Recap

temp5k_062716_06--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

I survived my hot June 5k this weekend! Am I happy with how I did? Nope, not at all. Did I still have a ton of fun and had a great day in the city...Yes, I did! Am I still kicking myself over tiny things I could have changed...Sure am! Will I be back next year and be a whole heck of a lot smarter OR easier on myself...maybe? Hope so :)

So here's everything you could ever want to know about the race and my day with my fellow Chicago Bears fans and family.
We woke up early as always and knowing that it would be hot and I tend to feel hotter when I don't shower in the morning, I opted to take the time to just do a normal shower (TMI, many race days I don't bother showering until after I've gotten all gross and sweaty cause I'm part zombie in the morning.) Leaving my hair wet in a ponytail ended up being a good choice for self-cooling reasons anyways. I then turned into my 13 year old self before going to school, but putting on and taking off all combinations of shorts with tank, shorts with skirt with tank, t-shirt with skirt and shorts, t-shirt with shorts, rinse repeat. I really am better off just changing and ignoring mirrors. Finally when my husband came out in his Bear shirt and orange shorts it was just too cute and I decided matching him over maximum heat resistance was what I wanted to do.
On the bright side...I'd say that to date this was the least anxious I have felt pre-race so far. And the least tummy rumblings. I managed to get down half a Clif bar and a bottle of water before we were off to the city with our kiddo in tow.
We parked by the in-laws and after some bib-pinning and pit-stops we headed to the stadium that's across the street...but in reality about a 1.5 mile walk because of the bridges you have to get to in order to walk across Lake Shore drive and the train tracks. It may have been a bad sign that as non-race joggers were heading towards us on the sidewalks all I can think was "ugh, that looks miserable, glad I'm not doing that." As if the race would be in some magical non-hot, super shaded utopian land we were walking to and not, you know, the exact same weather.
We came under the main tunnel to the entrance of Soldier Field and in true bears fan fashion everyone was in blue and orange. They had their drum-line that is at the games out doing some loud and rowdy routines. We were shade seekers and moved from shady spot to shady spot up to the start line corral area...where we found more shade off to the side. I do not do well in the sun...I'm a fair Irish lass and not a sun-worshipper because it just makes me feel terrible generally. I'm outdoorsy...when I can find my shade! At this point I'm still in denial that I will be in the sun...even though every person in the middle of the corral is out in the sun...I had to find my shady spot on the curb. Too bad you can't take your shady spot with you during the run. Unless someone wants to order me one of those novelty umbrella hats?
Here's what the start line looks like via a very very tall person or a blimp. You can't see me cause I'm under a tree.
temp5k_062716_57--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

They had pace signs in 2min increments. So there was the start line, 6:00, 8:00, 10:00, 12:00 and 14:00. No talk of wave starts. My shady spot I found was somewhere between 8 and 10. But they had people bunch up but it was a little early for bunching I thought. So then more people came and put themselves where they thought they should be, not knowing about the bunching. So my theory is I bet you have a lot of 9-10 people up with 6-7 people. Didn't effect me cause I just stayed in my little shade utopia. Then a girl said to me "are you in wave 1 or 2" and I was like "huuuuh???" and she said "are you with them or them" and I was like "huuuuuh?" and then I realized she had a blue rope and was a rope person for waves. My father-in-law said "first wave" and we jumped in front of the rope. He said "better to get it over with before it gets hotter." Glad someone in my family was paying attention!
National anthem and we were off :) My hubby said "blow past me, go go" before we even got going and I think I took him too literally and I went-went like a little rocket.

temp5k_062716_09--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

That's Staley Da Bear on the scooter. I wonder if he won the race? Or if they DQ'd him for using a scooter? Think the flag guys ran the whole thing too? :)
Anywho back to my start. I think I started too fast. After the first main turn and before we headed into the McCormick Place tunnel (so maybe like .25 miles in) I was at an 8:10. Whoooops. I felt like I was not going that fast, just felt normal. I can tell you right now that is not normal for me lately to forget myself and get carried away like that. Going under the tunnel (it's maybe a .5 mile or more long and part of many races in this area) This always feels really cool because it's just fun to be in a tunnel of runners like we are in some kind of post-apocolyptic zombie movie. Also tunnels don't have sun. So maybe also a vampire movie :) There's also a DJ booth before and after the tunnel helping us along. I did not bring headphones for this race because I saw they'd have DJ's and I thought that might be cool. I think in hindsight it helped me be too fast to start and hurt me in the end when they went away and it was just me and my heavy breathing together-forever. Spoiler alert.
So mile one came really fast...that's both a good thing and an "Oops, what have I done" thing. 8:50 to be exact. Not what mile 1 time should ever be for me...unless, unless! this is my day to shine and break free and PR and yes, I will just keep running like this, I am unstoppable woman, it totally is not a record setting 92 degrees (that feels like 96) at this point! Look at all these speedy people coming down the other side of the path, that means I am almost to the turn around...these are my people...I am a fast person...I belong with them....run faster roxy!
This is literally the point in the race that my brain has started to melt and the area where my "smart running strategy" has leaked out my ear. Exactly 1.25 miles in I have become an idiot :)
That turn-around did come up pretty quickly which was nice and I knew a water station was coming which was nice. My legs first started to feel a little leaden at the tight turn-around. Next time remind me to just take those wide as the 1 sec I'm sure it adds to my time is better than having to come to an almost stop and then get myself going again! (My hubby said he made everyone around him laugh when he ran up to the turn-around cone and then just ran backwards down the other side until he turned himself around to face the right way...anything for comedy with that one!)
I did do a good job at the water station so I can take that away as a positive. Two cups. One dumped on me, the other I consumed. I did walk for the drinking because I still just can't with the water-boarding while running. Fun fact...if you dump water on yourself, after the race you can tell people that you aren't sweaty, you are just covered in water from the aid station!
So this would be lead legs section # 2...getting to running again. I still was able to get going and was boosted by quickly seeing hubby on the other side of the path. We waved at each other which made me run faster. Because now I was trying to win the Olympic trials of course.
I see the second mile sign coming up at look at my watch and it's like looking like I will be at 9:30ish and I do some terrible math in my head deciding I won't PR (Which makes no sense in hindsight, I was doing great) and I have NO IDEA why but I decide to give myself a little break and walk to the mile 2 sign since I won't be finishing with a 27 min time. WHY DID I DO THAT? I haven't ran a time starting with a 28 since last Fall. What was I even thinking? And so I walked for one full minute. And then I started running again and I couldn't get myself under 10min from this point on.
I walked again for a full minute at 2.14. Still no idea why. I just gave up for literally no reason. I can't wrap my head around it even now. I think if I had my headphones in I would have let the music keep me chugging and even at those 10 min miles I would have easily EASILY sub 29'd. I wasn't too tired, I wasn't cramping, I wasn't thirsty, I think I was giving myself permission to give myself an out in case I didn't have it in me and I quit on myself early and I'm kicking myself right now still. I was HOT though and I think that's what it came down to. Being hot = me shutting down mentally. Ask me to make a sandwich on the beach at a picnic n the sun and it's like you've asked me to solve a rubics cube. So there's that.
I walked one more time after the 2.5 mile mark for another full minute. Then seeing a camera guy snapped me out of that and off I went smiling into the tunnel to where the players enter the stadium. I knew the field was coming and I wanted to smile and be happy on the field..so I walked again! What was going on with me? I'm in my happy shady underground place and I'm walking. Snapped out of that thankfully and ran onto the filed through the giant inflatable bear and this part was so cool!
Continued in next post shortly!

temp5k_062716_59--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

I love that they have these blimp pictures so I can show you what it was like. That bear in the corner is where we ran in and then we got to kind of zig zag up and down the field until the finish line. And it was on real grass! Up until the finish chute which is the metal covering they use during concerts. Fun thing..Staley D Bear was running about 5 people ahead of me so I literally finished the race with him (I later saw him go back and do it again like 5 times...give that guy a raise!) I crossed the finish watching myself up on the giant jumbo-tron at 31:16 and Staley came in for a shoulder to shoulder jump which I obliged him on. Hopefully they caught that for our race pics!
Turns out my official time matched my watch time exactly for the first time ever. I went and got my medal and water and started watching for hubby on the screen. The heat hit me big time at this point. More than it hit me during the race. Never got to the full dizzy type feeling. I really think I did a good job with hydrating this time around but 96+ is just a lot to take in with this heat. A mile 2 water stop would have done me some good and I heard that over and over from other people.
Saw hubby high fiving Staley and he beat his PR by 1 second. His approach was steady and not too fast and he even eased up to take selfies on the field. He ran a really smart race and his fitness is just better and better all summer. Even though I technically beat him by a little bit, he really had the better race.
And he's cute...see!
image.jpg

But notice the huge sparkly medals and the really cool free cooling towels (you pour water on them and they get super cold and they are machine washable.)
image.jpg

image.jpg

My take-away from my race were the following:
Slow down mile 1!
But if you don't and you surprise yourself on how well you are doing, the correct response is to keep trying and not to get scared of failing and quit.
Bring music!
Only walk if you really can't run anymore...I totally could keep running.
And finally, everything is better with family, friends, and an ice cold free beer!

My father in law came in 4th for 65-70!!! Third beat him by 4 minutes so he's happy, he would be upset if it was closer :).
My stats
1106/4387
370/2473 women
60/418 division
10:04 avg pace

Not that bad, why was I upset. Still a good showing :)

So much to think about before my 5k/10k back to back in mid-July.

Last edited:
Congratulations again!

Only advice I have is the same as we've talked about before. Blind pacing. You know why. You did the same thing I did for years, which was you could be having your second best race of your life but because it wasn't your best halfway though we inexplicably lose motivation. Learn to let go and just to keep running. Just use it as a learning exercise. Because the next time you could be halfway through as your second best race could end up being your best race after the 2nd half. You never know, maybe theres more left in the tank than you realize.

Now with that being said, look at the super bright side. You've come back really strong from your injury and you're doing well. Now it's time to start attacking that training plan for that upcoming 5K/10K and then your 15K. Super proud of you! :ewok: <----- So is Staley Da Bear!!!

Congratulations again!

Only advice I have is the same as we've talked about before. Blind pacing. You know why. You did the same thing I did for years, which was you could be having your second best race of your life but because it wasn't your best halfway though we inexplicably lose motivation. Learn to let go and just to keep running. Just use it as a learning exercise. Because the next time you could be halfway through as your second best race could end up being your best race after the 2nd half. You never know, maybe theres more left in the tank than you realize.

Now with that being said, look at the super bright side. You've come back really strong from your injury and you're doing well. Now it's time to start attacking that training plan for that upcoming 5K/10K and then your 15K. Super proud of you! :ewok: <----- So is Staley Da Bear!!!

I think you hit the nail on the head and it honestly makes me feel better. Not better about my race, but better in that I know how to fix this and it just confirms I need to keep at my training. Next time I'm bringing black tape for my watch, haha.

I think you hit the nail on the head and it honestly makes me feel better. Not better about my race, but better in that I know how to fix this and it just confirms I need to keep at my training. Next time I'm bringing black tape for my watch, haha.

I agree with DopeyBadger. I used to have RunKeeper update my pace every 5 minutes during my races. I finally stopped worrying about it. I go out there and run as fast as I can and accept whatever the time is when I am done because I know I did my best. So no need to introduce something that might possibly mess with my mind during a race. Now I turn off the updates. I use the RunKeeper to memorialize the race but that's it.

Amazing job! I can't even begin to imagine running in that heat. I would have melted - both mentally and physically! Don't beat yourself up about the walking ... you finished with a smile on your face and with your family and there's always next year to show off everything you learned!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter