Rough start on the DVC thing

Quilter007

Mouseketeer
OK -- so we got our document package Fri :yay: I read through the whole thing. Yes, I'm crazy -- but I work in commercial RE -- gotta do it!! Anyway, didn't see anything there that was too surprising, although a couple of things struck my funny bone -- can't use DVC a permanent residence or voting residence, no bicycles in the hallways (is that really a problem?) and there's a big list of what can NOT go in the plumbing! Anyway, I called today to make my reservation to use the developer points and found out that they are only good @ SSR! :confused3 We're going to have MIL with us and really wanted to stay at the Animal Kingdom since she's such an animal freak. Plus, since we'll have MIL with us, we won't fit in a 1 br. Now, the THV would be OK, but I don't think I have any shot at getting that in late July, which is the only time we can go anywhere before the developer points expire. Oh and since SSR 2 br is more points than the 2 br value at AKV, we either have to borrow a bunch of points from our 1st year or stay off property for a couple of days (which we can do using Marriott points). Help -- I need ideas to either make this better or know something fabulous about SSR (it just seems far away from everything!) DSes are 5 and 9. We used to live 20 minutes from DL and went all the time -- we sometimes have Disney withdrawal moments now. We've only been to FL twice (winter) -- had fun both times. MIL has only been east of the Mississippi once in her life -- last year we drug her to Boston. When we told her that we might take her to FL, she got nervous, but excited -- so we really need to take her there now. I'm most annoyed that no one told us about the restrictions on the developer points.

Katrina

Oh -- and my one-time activaction code for the DVC member web-site doesn't work either. Sigh....guess I'll fold more clothes instead of surfing!

:laundy:

Katrina

SSR is a fine resort, you won't be sorry. Great pool area for the kids and close to DTD where the adults like to hang out. The resort is spread out and quiet. Schedule a Spa day using your DVC discount. :goodvibes

While SSR may not be one of my favorite resorts, it's still Disney!

Now, the THV would be OK, but I don't think I have any shot at getting that in late July, which is the only time we can go anywhere before the developer points expire. Oh and since SSR 2 br is more points than the 2 br value at AKV, we either have to borrow a bunch of points from our 1st year or stay off property for a couple of days (which we can do using Marriott points). Katrina

Katrina,
Are you purchasing VCG? There are a couple of other squirrely things you may not know about your DPs.
You won't be able to use your VCG points with your DPs to make a reservation because you won't be able to use your VCG points until VCG is open. (The DPs expire Oct 3rd and VCG opens Nov 30th)

I don't know if this would help, but have you looked at the increased cash incentive vs the DP incentive? Before you change anything, you could call Member Services to see if you could get a cash discount on the room you really wanted -- and see how much of that would be covered by the increased cash incentive.....

I had another thought in trying to figure out how to get you over to your AKVs :)

I'm not sure how many points you purchased. But, if you qualified for the $8.00 off plus the additional $8.00 off, that would be -$16.00.

I'm assuming you currently have -$5.00 off plus DPs? If you were eligible for the -$16.00, you could take the difference and use it to rent points (for the reservation you actually wanted). If you were able to rent at $10.00 per point, you would be +$1.00 ahead (per point).

I have never heard of them requiring you to use your developer points at a specific resort. You might want to double check on that. When we bought in about a year ago, our points could be used whereever.

I have never heard of them requiring you to use your developer points at a specific resort. You might want to double check on that. When we bought in about a year ago, our points could be used whereever.

It is actually spelled out in the contract paperwork as to where the DPs can be used. There were different options with different offers.

The ones I received 3 weeks ago (and I believe the OP has) allows you to use them at SSR, any of the DL resorts or trades into RCI.....

Sorry, it's true. If you wanted to use them at WDW, you must use them at SSR.

Plus, since we'll have MIL with us, we won't fit in a 1 br.

Five people total? From what I've read on the DISboards, there is no problem with putting five people in a 1-bedroom villa. The resort won't supply any extra bed, bedding or towels, but they also won't mind the fifth person in the room.

I only found out about this recently. Anyone else care to confirm, deny or expand on this?

OK -- so we got our document package Fri :yay: I read through the whole thing. Yes, I'm crazy -- but I work in commercial RE -- gotta do it!! Anyway, didn't see anything there that was too surprising, although a couple of things struck my funny bone -- can't use DVC a permanent residence or voting residence, no bicycles in the hallways (is that really a problem?) and there's a big list of what can NOT go in the plumbing! Anyway, I called today to make my reservation to use the developer points and found out that they are only good @ SSR! :confused3 We're going to have MIL with us and really wanted to stay at the Animal Kingdom since she's such an animal freak. Plus, since we'll have MIL with us, we won't fit in a 1 br. Now, the THV would be OK, but I don't think I have any shot at getting that in late July, which is the only time we can go anywhere before the developer points expire. Oh and since SSR 2 br is more points than the 2 br value at AKV, we either have to borrow a bunch of points from our 1st year or stay off property for a couple of days (which we can do using Marriott points). Help -- I need ideas to either make this better or know something fabulous about SSR (it just seems far away from everything!) DSes are 5 and 9. We used to live 20 minutes from DL and went all the time -- we sometimes have Disney withdrawal moments now. We've only been to FL twice (winter) -- had fun both times. MIL has only been east of the Mississippi once in her life -- last year we drug her to Boston. When we told her that we might take her to FL, she got nervous, but excited -- so we really need to take her there now. I'm most annoyed that no one told us about the restrictions on the developer points.

Katrina

If you are not happy with the DP's, call your guide and check out the new incentives. You would be eligible to change your deal since you have not yet closed your contract.

I just did this. Was adding on 115 points at BLT (already a member), and getting $5.00 off plus DP's. I cancelled that and went with the straight points discount. I was able to get 130 points for basically the same price I was getting 115 before the new incentives, since now I am paying only $96.00 per point!!!!

I did lose the 5 nights I had booked with DP's and had to replace them with my own points. However, out of the 115 DP's, I was only going to be using 97 (SSR studio, August 5th - 10th). Anyway, I was able to rebook those same 5 nights with my own points at both AKL and VWL. It only ended up costing me 88 points.

So, in essence, I am giving up 88 points, to get a contract with 15 MORE points every year. In just 5 years from now, I will have made up those points. Plus, I am now not staying at SSR, my least favorite resort!

Good luck!

can't use DVC a permanent residence or voting residence
These are most likely a side-effect of Disney's desire to maintain their own quasi-government (the Reedy Creek Improvement District.) All the land that WDW sits on is under jurisdiction of RCID, and the only full-time residents (and, hence, the only voters) are Disney employees.

SSR is a lovely resort and the DP's have only been for SSR for quite a few months now. I am sure you will have a great time at SSR.

As for room occupancy due to fire regulations etc it is only 4 persons in a 1 bed plus one under 3 for SSR.

Claire ;)

It is actually spelled out in the contract paperwork as to where the DPs can be used. There were different options with different offers.

The ones I received 3 weeks ago (and I believe the OP has) allows you to use them at SSR, any of the DL resorts or trades into RCI.....

ayep.

OP, it's funny, b/c I felt that the DP info was all over the paperwork, while I didn't see anything about things in the toilet! Weird.

For me, I see on the Vacation Option Agreement in part 2.: "Pursuant to the Vacation Option program, DVD has agreed to provide the Purchaser with the right to make reservation(s) for accommodations at Disney's SSR or at one of the following Disney Collection resort hotels located in CA...or at resorts made available through the RCI Exchange Program..."

But it might be different with GCV; we went for BLT. (first time I've mentioned that anywhere, LOL)

Katrina

Hmmmm, no one told you restrictions on developer points ?, that is unfortunate - but look at it as a positive rather than a negative - many DVC purchasers did not receive developer points or any sort of incentive at all when they made their purchase.

Don't get overly concerned about not liking SSR, honestly I don't know why it seems to often get the criticism that is does & many times that's from folks who've never even stayed there; so go with an open mind and give it a chance and enjoy your stay with developer points.

SSR is a beautiful, wonderful resort and your sons will probably love its main feature pool as well as the pool located in the Grandstand's area. My bro & his family own at SSR and my DNephew's are same age as your kids and they absolutely love it - there are daily activities for the kids & even some adults can take part in, poolside movies some evenings too. Two studio units would probably use less points too and maybe good to give your family and your MIL extra quiet time & privacy. I don't think your family or MIL will be disappointed - there are lots of quiet, beautiful areas, boat to Downtown Disney shopping & restaurants and to our home, OKW. And SSR's spa.

Have fun :goodvibes

Well, I've been looking at the SSR threads & it seems that there are plenty of people who love it & we were planning on a rental car, so if we can't deal w/ the buses we've got a plan B. The next thing is the points -- I was planning on a value room @ AKV which is a lot fewer points than SSR. If I can't use some of the first year's points, I've got to figure something else out! Right now I'm on the Scarlet O'Hara plan -- I'll think about it tomorrow!

Thanks for the advice & tips everyone!

Katrina

This has been the case for several months at least. Our last two point purchases both had developer points that were only good at SSR. I am REALLY shocked the guide didn't make it clear and if they didn't, the paper you sign during closing on the developer points is pretty clear on they are for SSR.

We have stayed at SSR and in fact are staying in the Tree houses this July on developer points from our last purchase.

ayep.

OP, it's funny, b/c I felt that the DP info was all over the paperwork, while I didn't see anything about things in the toilet! Weird.

For me, I see on the Vacation Option Agreement in part 2.: "Pursuant to the Vacation Option program, DVD has agreed to provide the Purchaser with the right to make reservation(s) for accommodations at Disney's SSR or at one of the following Disney Collection resort hotels located in CA...or at resorts made available through the RCI Exchange Program..."

But it might be different with GCV; we went for BLT. (first time I've mentioned that anywhere, LOL)

:yay::yay:
I was wondering why I started seeing you on the DVC boards! Congrats and :welcome:
BLT is beautiful..I got tempted for a minute over VGC. I guess you chose BLT since you really enjoy HOJO at DLR and I guess this means the family reunion at WDW WILL happen :) :cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter