RotR Planning & Daily Boarding Group Discussion - *CLOSED*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have any reports with their BG interfering with an ADR and how they and/or Disney handled it? We have an 11:30 lunch in Epcot this Saturday. We plan to leave the Dolphin at 4:30AM hoping to ride before heading to Epcot but I’m trying to think through the “What Ifs”.

Now that I have a bit more time, wanted to add that a manager was chatting with us up front before opening and said that they have two main goals right now, which are unfortunately conflicting with each other. One was that they want people to be able to be IN the park at opening - that you paid for a full day ticket, and if you’re there at opening they want you to get in ASAP so you get that full day you paid for.

However, they also don’t want to encourage people to keep showing up earlier and earlier - that it’s not sustainable for the park to keep this up long term. I asked if FP would be a part of that, and he said yes, but that of course there are a lot of variables they have to consider.

Not really “new” information, but I suspect we’re going to start seeing these start times staying closer to opening to discourage us from being way early.

I wish that would work, but I feel like people know the way to get an early BG is to be sort of in the front of the line and the only way to do that is to show up early. It also seems like people are showing up earlier and earlier. A few days ago it seemed like 5 am was the earliest, now people are getting there before 4:30 am!

However, they also don’t want to encourage people to keep showing up earlier and earlier - that it’s not sustainable for the park to keep this up long term. I asked if FP would be a part of that, and he said yes, but that of course there are a lot of variables they have to consider.
Sustainable or not, it is going to be getting earlier stilll because the park times are opening an hour earlier next week. Interesting that he didn't mention safety concerns, as others have suggested that they have to open whenever they hit critical mass at the entrance. Did he comment about when he expected the FP system to be cranked up?

Does anyone have any reports with their BG interfering with an ADR and how they and/or Disney handled it? We have an 11:30 lunch in Epcot this Saturday. We plan to leave the Dolphin at 4:30AM hoping to ride before heading to Epcot but I’m trying to think through the “What Ifs”.
you have 2 hours to come back to RotR once your BG is called. So it should give you time to eat or finish eating if you're in the process

Sustainable or not, it is going to be getting earlier and earlier because the park times are opening an hour earlier next week. Interesting that he didn't mention safety concerns, as others have suggested that they will have to open whenever they hit critical mass at the entrance. Did he comment about when he expected the FP system to be cranked up?
A well trained CM will not discuss safety procedures

A well trained CM will not discuss safety procedures
Sounds like they were discussing goals of opening early -- CMs commenting that safety is considered wouldn't have revealed procedures, per se. But I don't doubt that it is a factor regardless. So far, though, it sounds like the reigns of what they allow (consider safe) at the gate are pretty long.

Last edited:
Epcot is a 15 minute Skyliner ride away... With a 2 hour window, I can't see much conflict. We were at Animal Kingdom when our group was called last week.

They could allow crowds of people into the park, but not allow joining the boarding group until official park opening. People wouldn't be eager to arrive early if they were unable to join a group until 7:00 am anyway. It might take a few days, but really early arrivals would definitely slow down if there was no advantage except waiting around inside for the park to open.

you have 2 hours to come back to RotR once your BG is called. So it should give you time to eat or finish eating if you're in the process
I guess the “What if” that I’m really contemplating is if our BG gets called at say 10:30/11:00am. Not enough time to ride it and get to Epcot ADR by 11:30 but not enough time to eat at 11:30 and be back by 12:30 or 1:00. I think it’s reasonable to think that I can do both so I hate to cancel ADR but if I do run into that timing, is my best bet to show up late & beg/plead to get worked in or my $10 x 10 no show fee waived?

They could allow crowds of people into the park, but not allow joining the boarding group until official park opening. People wouldn't be eager to arrive early if they were unable to join a group until 7:00 am anyway. It might take a few days, but really early arrivals would definitely slow down if there was no advantage except waiting around inside for the park to open.
it has the potential for the app to crash. There's a difference between seconds of scattered guests trying to join a BG and a group of thousands trying to log in at the same time

so does it appear everyone at rope drop is getting a boarding pass for RotR? Heading over this New Years.

thanks for any info

I guess the “What if” that I’m really contemplating is if our BG gets called at say 10:30/11:00am. Not enough time to ride it and get to Epcot ADR by 11:30 but not enough time to eat at 11:30 and be back by 12:30 or 1:00. I think it’s reasonable to think that I can do both so I hate to cancel ADR but if I do run into that timing, is my best bet to show up late & beg/plead to get worked in or my $10 x 10 no show fee waived?
if you are really worried then get a BG for later in the day, meaning don't grab one as soon as it opens. You could stand next to a Guest experience CM (blue shirts) and they will be able to tell you around what time of day the BG is booking in real time.

Haven‘t some posters said that the back end of the two hour window has not been strictly enforced? So, if your boarding group is called at 11 AM you might still be able to go have lunch, then come back and ride even if the two hours has expired.

Anyone have experience with this?

so does it appear everyone at rope drop is getting a boarding pass for RotR? Heading over this New Years.

thanks for any info
Yes, although there is technically no rope drop. Just plan to be through the gate within 45 mins of the tapstiles opening, which as illustrated here begins before official park open. Also plan for wait time at the tapstiles if not arriving early.

Last edited:
8am opening times begin again on 1/5/19 -- Probably too early for this question, but does it seem pretty likely that those will be changed to 7am eventually?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter