Rose & Crown Recently?

RSoxFan

<font color=red>Give Me Beach Club or Give Me Deat
Has anyone eaten at Rose & Crown recently? We've always eaten there every trip and loved it. I just looked at the menu on All Ears though, and it looks like the Cottage Pie and Chicken Pasty are gone. The menu was from May. Can anyone confirm this? If that is really the new menu, I'm going to have to make some new ADRs fast! :rotfl:

You know, I just recently switched my ressie from there to some place else because of the same thing! I remember the menu being different when I first looked at it and thought it looked good. Then the other day I was double checking my PS choices for next month and when I went back to Rose and Crown, something just didn't look right. The menu had lost it's appeal to me and I realized that the two items I was interested in were gone. Oh well...

Went in May for a lunch reservation, and both items were no longer on the menu. We asked our waiter who said they had changed in April. Since nothing else appealed, we left without lunch.

They seem to be edging away from British food. Seriously, the sides served with some of the dishes make me think ??????? I've seen variations of these dishes served in some of the other WDW restaurants that are deemed American cuisine. I know all "foreign" cuisines get localized, but is it that hard to come up with something British? Obviously the Fish and Chips are there and the Bangers and Mash, but that's all they could come up with????? The steak and fish combo is a really really weird one, so I wont go there (the mash is a bit of a no-no to start with, hang I said I wouldn't go there, sorry!)

Anyway, that's my personal gripe about it. Rant over.

Did the kids menu still have one of those on it?

We were just at Rose and Crown last Friday for dinner. I was concerned about the limited menu but we liked it. The cottage pie and chicken pastry are gone. Dh liked the bangers and mash, younger DS loved the fish and chips, older DS had the steak and thought it was good, and I had the teatime chicken and creamed leeks and really liked it. We sat outside and it was nice and peaceful. Even though the menu is limited, we would go back on another trip.

Thanks everyone. I think we're going to switch to Les Chefs de France. The menu now really seems like something we can get at home. :confused3

Being British I've never even given the place a thought before but spurred on by your comments I took a look at the menu-on behalf of most fellow Brits can I say I've no idea what toasted orzo is much less eaten it, I have never eaten "Marinated roast chicken with creamed leeks and honey butter" at teatime or any other time and I though a rutabaga was a country in Eastern Europe! I don't know any English people that eat meat AND fish normally at the same time (Unless we are in the US and eating surf and turf). We are a nation of culinary unsophisticates (Although we are getting much better:goodvibes )

A recent British survey showed the most popular dish in UK was curry!:rotfl:

Being British I've never even given the place a thought before but spurred on by your comments I took a look at the menu-on behalf of most fellow Brits can I say I've no idea what toasted orzo is much less eaten it, I have never eaten "Marinated roast chicken with creamed leeks and honey butter" at teatime or any other time and I though a rutabaga was a country in Eastern Europe! I don't know any English people that eat meat AND fish normally at the same time (Unless we are in the US and eating surf and turf). We are a nation of culinary unsophisticates (Although we are getting much better:goodvibes )

A recent British survey showed the most popular dish in UK was curry!:rotfl:

That's funny. I nearly mentioned the fact that I had no idea what Orzo was until I moved to USA (it's a pasta that kind of looks like rice, just FYI!!!) I'm glad it wasn't just me that thought that the menu was kind of :scared1: I know we Brits aren't renowned for our culinary gifts, but their are a few of us that can cook. I would put a traditional Sunday roast on the menu (proper roasties and Yorkshire pud!!) maybe a shepherd's pie, a casserole with proper English dumplings and maybe a Lancashire hotpot, along with the fish & chips and the bangers & mash. Not sure the heat in Florida is a great accompaniment to all that, but my tummy would be happy!!

Yes, as far as take-out goes, Indian cuisine is #1 in Britain. Though I bet someone from India would shudder at what we had done to it!!

i used to love it but the last 3 or 4 times it was HORRRRRIIIBBBLLLLEEEE under cooked fish,,10 fries with the order...not good at all...the last trip in june 1 to 7 never eveen looked at the place ..just sat there and watched the fireworks..so donnt waist your money ..not kidding it s bad..

We ate dinner there a month ago and were completely disappointed. We used to enjoy it, but the food was not very good and the service was lacking. They used to have decent British selections on the menu, but it's been turned into a generic American menu, and not a very good one. I don't know who makes decisions on menu changes, whether it's the head chef or some Disney executive, but they've taken away the uniqueness and Britishness of R&C. British food doesn't have the best reputation in the culinary world, but that's no excuse for what they're serving now. Surely someone at Disney can come up with some better choices. A curry would be a good start.

The lunch menu still has those selections (cottage pie and chicken pastry) listed at All Ears site. I can't see that they would have them for lunch and not dinner.

Anyone eaten there for lunch recently? Has that menu changed too? I know my trip is still pretty far away (FEB 08) but we are eating there for lunch and in looking at the dinner menu, vs the lunch menu ... they are very different -- (and the dinner menu does seem like strange combinations!).

We ate there in April and Yes those things are off of the menu. I was terribly dissappointed as the Chicken Pasty was what I was planning to order. I wasn't very impressed with Rose and Crown and don't plan on eating there again.

I will be cancelling an ADR for R&C at 7:30 on 8/30. It is for 12 people. Looks like no one will want it, though. :upsidedow

I was so looking forward to R&C. :sad1:

Thanks for the update on the menu Michele. We still plan to give it a try - DH says he would eat the fish & chips though he was looking forward to cottage pie. Even the cheese plate has changed on the menu -- looks like less cheese and not as interesting a combination.

Wow - things are really changing and not really for the better. I guess the crowds and dining plan are having an effect. :sad2:

We changed our ADR's also. We're on the DDP in late September and had an 8:00 R&C ressie mainly for the chance to see Illuminations from the patio. We decided that only a "chance" to see Illuminations up close wasn't worth a bad meal! Switched to Raglan Road, loving the reviews there! We have Chefs de France another evening...so we still have our Illuminations evening!

I would put a traditional Sunday roast on the menu (proper roasties and Yorkshire pud!!) maybe a shepherd's pie, a casserole with proper English dumplings and maybe a Lancashire hotpot, along with the fish & chips and the bangers & mash

I agree..would be nothing nicer than sitting down on a Sunday in the USA to a typical roast dinner lol. They should maybe even have things like toad in the hole and gammon steaks with eggs. God knows who makes their menus up :confused3

mmm deep fried marsbar :love: (hanging head in shame that I forgot about it lol). I'm thinking maybe a few brits should make their menus up for them :cool1: not my DM though..she'd have them making liver n onions :sick:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter