Rose & Crown - English Pub Food

rogerlover

Mouseketeer
(If this is in the wrong area i'm sorry)

I'm going to WDW with the boyfriend in a few months and we are looking at the different restaurants, obviously living in the UK we eat in english pubs regularly and i'm fully aware that price/description has very little bearing on actual quality/quantity, what i want to know from people who eat in real English pubs, is how similiar the food is to back home or if it's just normal Disney Food with english names.

Thanks

I've only eaten there once and was unfortunately a looong while a go so take this with a pinch of salt - I know they've changed the menu since then to try and make it more 'traditional'.

When I went there it was more like Disney-spin on a gastro pub where they take something that sounds 'normal' but then try and mess about it it to jazz it and make it seem a bit more fancy - bar perhaps the fish n chips. The menu does sound like that aspect has been reigned back though so kinda curious myself now.

Having never been to Merry Olde, I have no basis for comparison, but we had two table service meals there, the fish and chips in the dining area were the best we ever had anywhere and the Bangers and Mash was great, the first and only time I had them. My favorite meal is being served below.

Bill From PA

not eaten at the rose and crown but did have the chips from the counter service. Now I know they say they are Harry Ramsdens but we didn't think they were authentic Harry Ramsdens chips and not quite chip shop chips either!

Although the only way to know is to try it for yourself. We have avoided eating food from home on our last three trips but we may venture to the Rose and Crown on this occassion

I've been eating at R&C for 25 years. I love it. The menu changes here more than any place else on property, but some things seem permanent. I eat at British/Irish places alot even though I've never been to GB, at least not yet. The food is great at R&C. And almost every time I've eaten there, it's been packed with Brits on holiday. Last year we met a retired woman from England who now lives in Orlando and said she eats there at least once a week.

I have only eaten the fish and chips at the Rose & Crown but they were very much like ones I had in a small pub near the Hounslow West Station on the Picadilly Line near Heathrow ... the only thing I missed were the mushy peas! :)

Over the last 5 or 6 years, I have spent several weeks in the UK, so I have had my share of English pub food, which I really, really like. We have eaten at some English pubs that were more "tourist" and some that were more authentic, off the main tourist trails.

I feel that Rose and Crown is actually pretty close to the real thing. It's probably a little closer to the "tourist" pub fare, but as someone else posted, the fish and chips are excellent. I thought the bangers and mash were ok, but I thought the Shepherd's Pie was as good as anything I had in England.

Hope that helps,
W

That's great to know, three weeks of theme park & trying differnet food, our stomachs deserve something they're used to handling. lol

We were really disapointed with Rose & Crown, I was really craving some English food. I dont think the menu is that traditional and the food obviously had an american spin on it, we are trying some English pubs on I Drive this year which are run by British people, I know they serve bisto gravy & heinz beans so if you have a car I would recommend trying one of these. x

In truth, not great. We had Xmas Dinner there about 18 months ago. It was disappointing. Much better is Le Cellier in Canada, although nnot pub food, their steaks are great and the cheese soup just has to be tried

1) It is about 1/2 a step below good English Pub food.
2) Good and tasty, but just barely off the mark - not quite spot-on.

NOTE: By coincidence, we have eaten at the Rose & Crown in Saturn (suburb of London) and the Rose & Crown on the Royal Mile (Edinburgh). Both are significantly better than the one at Epcot. BUT, that is not to say Epcot is bad, just a little less that the true English Public House.

Had fish and chips counter serve which was good, I agree that the mushy peas was the only thing missing. Had the real thing in Canterbury, UK in April Yum

Beer at R&C quite good.

I was raised in England before moving to the States as a teenager so we have gone to R&C while at Disney just to get a little taste of home. Basically the food is an Americanized version of British pub food. The fish and chips were ok, good, tasty and fresh but not exactly the same as home, the chips were too thin for me. However, they do offer mushy peas as a side item which were terrific. The Sheppards Pie was very good as was the Scotch Egg app. One thing that they miss the mark on for me was the Yorkshire Pudding as it tasted like stale bread and resembled a hockey puck. But all in all, the food is not bad at all. And I highly recommend the Sticky Toffee Pudding for dessert. Two thumbs way up on that.

As someone else said, there are a few really authentic British pubs on Idrive that are worth the trip off property if you have a car and are really looking for some good ole home cooking. Also, if you are making a trip to Universal, the breakfast at Three Broomsticks in the Wizarding World is top notch, with real British cut bacon, black pudding and beans. The lunch menu there also offers Cornish Pasties that were well done as well.

:thumbsup2 DH and I have always done lunch at the R&C. THe F & C are not as good as some places I have when vacationing in Britain but rank among the top in what I've tried in the US. The DH enjoyed both the Chicken pie and the Sheppards pie. While the chips aren't as thick, to me that is a good thing I have never been a fan of thick cut fries/chips.;)

We have been eating at R&C for years and always enjoyed our meals. We have been to the UK and found the food at R&C to be very compairable.

... I know they serve bisto gravy & heinz beans

We can actually by these in the Publix grocery store now. The Bisto granules make the easiest gravy!

Does anyone know if R&C still serves the Scotch Egg? I read a comment on the Disney Parks Blog that they took it off the menu.

My family and I all ordered the same thing on the last trip:

Glass of Woodpecker Cider
Fish & Chips
Sticky Toffee Pudding

And we loved everything!!!

It's not perfect, and you can get better food in the UK, but if you're missing home and want something homely it's alright. I wouldn't recommend the sausages, they're not like British ones (at least they weren't when I went).

Sometimes it's nice to just chat with all the waiting staff as they're from the UK. Plus if you sit late in the evening on the patio it's a great view of the fireworks. Without the fireworks I wouldn't bother going again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter