Rose & Crown...any suggestions??

wezee

Am I cheating on my husband, if I have dreams abou
DH and I just made an extra ADR for Sept. 27th for the Rose and Crown for dinner. This will be our first experience at R&C and I'm really looking forward to it. We will be on the DxDDP. What are the "to die for" entrees, appies and desserts?????

I really loved the potato and leek soup for an appetizer.

We got the cheese plate, but unless you want adventure, I'd pass.

apps.jpg

I made the unfortunate mistake of getting bangers and mash. After one bite I had the worst heartburn I've had for quite a while. Just be weary. DH liked his pork chop.

DH really loves the sticky toffee pudding. The apple crisp wasn't anything spectacular.

sticky.jpg

apple.jpg

I wish I had more positives to offer.

What are the "to die for" entrees, appies and desserts?????

In my opinion -- they're aren't any! My family loves to go there because DMIL is from the UK, but it's definitely the atmosphere...not the food.

DH and I loved the cheese plate - and we aren't always adventurous. The Irish cheddar was paired with a sweet onion jam. Sounds a bit much, but it was delicious. We wanted to know if they sold the jam at one of the shops - but they don't. It's a chef's specialty.

I thought the pork loin was overcooked and too dry.

We have an ADR for December. I think I'll try the fish and chips - or maybe the lamb.

Kathy

DH was interested in the mushrooms for an appie but wasn't sure if he would like the sauce they are in. I am a very daring cheese eater and just might have to order the cheese platter.

The pic of the sticky pudding looks wonderful...has anyone tried the choc. cake ( Guiness choc. cake....I think)? DH was looking at either that or the apple crisp, but I will show him this thread and tell him that the crisp is kind of ho-hum. Thanks for the great input everyone.

For entree we thought the steak and fish or pork looks good.

Anybody try one of the fancy cocktails of the menu??

I love the cheese plate. They used to have a nice barley soup but I don't think they have that anymore.

My favourite things from the R&C menu:

Apps:
Roasted Mushrooms, mushrooms in a creamy garlic shallot sauce with puff pastry and truffle oil. Gorgeous if a little garlicky!
Potato and Leek Soup, heavy cream based soup with potatoes and onions. Very delicious and traditional!

Entrees:
At lunchtime, my favourite thing is the shepherds pie. Its ground lamb with veggies and gravy, topped with mashed potatoes and cheese on top. Its amazing. Just like home! At lunchtime the other good option is the soup and sandwich. Its a sandwich with turkey, bacon, swiss and Branston Pickle. And it comes with the potato and leek soup. Really nice and light.

At dinnertime the pork is my favourite entree. Its got a tamarind glaze and comes with fingerling roasted potatoes. Very good and very filling! The bangers and mash are really good too, not like American sausages at all. They're all meat and not spicy at all.

Desserts:
The Guinness Torte has been replaced with a Chocolate Scotch Cake which is much better in my opinion. Its not dry like the torte was and comes with Scotch ganache and creme anglaise. Delicious!! The sticky toffee pudding is amazing too. Its a wee toffee flavoured bundt cake thing with rum sauce and hot custard. Fantastic!!

Oh and try the Welsh Dragon to drink. Its creme de menthe, melon liquor, peach schnapps and fruit juice. Its really refreshing but the creme de menthe gives it a really unusual flavour!

There's a lot of good food on the menu at the Rose and Crown. The atmosphere is great but its not all thats good at the restaurant!! :)

DH has, in the past, enjoyed the fish and chips. This last time he had the lamb and LOVED it. I like the mushroom appetizer. That and a salad was my meal . I do not recommend the apple dessert. It was nothing special but cost the same as the other desserts.

:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

I selected the fish & chips as my entree and it was an absolutely huge piece of fish...however, they way it is served (tall metal basket thingy) it kind of encourages you to eat it with your fingers. I grabbed it and took a bite and all this grease seriously ran right down my arm. So whatever you do -- keep your elbows up!!! :teeth:

DS thought the bangers and mash were one of the best meals he had, but to me they didn't look very appetizing.

I'll be anxious to hear from guests that have tried some of the other entrees as we'll be there again in August.

I LOVED the mushrooms in pastry. They were amazing, one of the best food items from our whole trip!

I selected the fish & chips as my entree and it was an absolutely huge piece of fish...however, they way it is served (tall metal basket thingy) it kind of encourages you to eat it with your fingers. I grabbed it and took a bite and all this grease seriously ran right down my arm. So whatever you do -- keep your elbows up!!! :teeth:

I agree about the fish and chips and in my opinion they were way too greasy to be out of this world delicious. I went to the Rose and Crown once and wasn't impressed at all. Not only was the food unimpressive but so was the service. The atmosphere was alright, but there's way better atmosphere to be found in restaurants on Disney property. The positive side is that I still enjoyed the fish and chips just because every now and then it's alright to have some greasy food.

appetizer-Guinness
Entree-Guiness
Dessert-Guiness
And fortunately, they have lots of good stuff that needs to be washed down. The Ploughman lunch is fantastic. I love Shepherd's Pie, and really liked the bajgers and mash. I think I need another Guinness.

yes i agree guiness is a must but if you have to eat our favorites are the fish and chips and the shepherds pie. we usually eat here once for lunch and once for dinner so the food is good

I love the cheese plate at the R&C! I made another reservation for this September just so I could get that again - the rest of the family loved it too, although DH & DD refused to try the onion jam. It was surprisingly good to me though. The fish & chips were very good and not terribly greasy when we had them, however the fish is huge and could easily be shared by two people. We did have the Guiness Torte, and it was amazing, so if the new cake is even better, we'll definitely be trying that! Also can't wait to try the Sticky Toffee Pudding. And this is where my DH discovered Boddington's Ale - I have to admit I really like it too. Our server was fabulous when we went in November. The bar section does get a bit rowdy later in the evening - just so you know - lol.:drinking1

Love the Mushrooms and the cheddar biscuits they serve with the meal(not as good as Red Lobster, though). There really isn't an entree that I like. The Sticky Toffee Pudding is excellent, but the first (before the torte) Guiness cake was the best. We really enjoy Rose and Crown because of the Illuminations view. It is on our list for December.

For drinks we start out with the Royal sampler. Then the cheese plate for apps. For entrees you just can't go wrong with the Fish&Chips. Their dinner specials have also been very good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter