Rose and Crown

tinkandpan

DIS Veteran
Has anyone been lately- years and years ago we used to like to go there and watch illuminations. The food has slowly gone downhill so i haven;t been there in ages. DH wants to go see Pam Brody play in the pub but i need to feed the rest of our family- should i try it again?

Our Ratings of Rose & Crown:
. . . food price value: C
. . . food quality: B-
. . . food quantity per serving: B
. . . food prep speed: B
. . . food selection: C
. . . seating quantity: C
. . . seating comfort: B
. . . eatery atmosphere: C
. . . eatery convenience: B
. . . staff friendliness: A
. . . staff helpfulness: B
. . . character interaction: n/a

NOTE: Rose & Crown is typical English cuisine. Nothing special,
but usually above average in quality. Viewing Illuminations from
the patio is a good view, although seating on the patio is not reserved
and you cannot wait for a table on the patio. The bar/lounge/pub area
is classic English with a great selection of beer and spirits. Additionally,
the piano player is excellent. Overall a good location for drinking and
snacking, but so-so for meals.

We ate there in May!!! We had seats outside and it was HOT! However, it was our best meal all week! Great steak dinner! O, and the lady at the piano bar was hysterical!!

We ate there in June and thought the food was great. I had the fish/steak combo and it was wonderful.

We couldn't get in to eat there but the bar atmosphere is great fun! We ended up sharing a fish and chips in the bar and we'd loved having the piano hat lady sing to us. Can't wait to go back!

Any idea how kids feel about this? Does everything the piano lady sing/does go over the kids head or might they enjoy it?

My family had dinner at R&C back in December (2010). Overall, we enjoyed our meal, though some of the dishes were better than others. We shared a scotch egg for appetizer and it was very good. Among us, we ordered the Guinness Stew, Fisherman's Stew, and Sunday Roast for entrees. The fisherman's stew was spicy, but good. I had the Guinness Stew which had a far stronger black pepper taste than I expected. For the price, the portion was pretty small - I'm not a huge eater, but without nibbling off my family's plates, I would have still been hungry. My Mom had the Sunday Roast and that was both filling and very yummy. For dessert we had the no sugar added trifle and chocolate scotch cake. Both were very good.

Here are pictures of the entrees and dessert.

Guinness Stew:
120210_RC_Stew.jpg

Fisherman's Stew:
120210_RC_FishStew.jpg

Sunday Roast:
120210_RC_Sunday.jpg

No Sugar Added Trifle:
120210_RC_Trifle.jpg

Chocolate Scotch Cake:
120210_RC_Cake.jpg

With regards to IllumiNations, if you do not get a seat on the patio there is reserved viewing area for R&C patrons. Just tell your server that you'd like to see Illuminations and they'll help you get there. It's over to the left of the restaurant. For us, IllumiNations started right before dessert, so we placed our dessert order, went outside and watched IllumiNations, and then came back in and had dessert. The server was very nice about it. The view from the viewing area was great.

Here are a couple of photos from the viewing area:
DSC_0102_1.jpg

DSC_0047_1.jpg

If it is Pam you want to see - make sure to check schedules and ask about her. I know she wasn't feeling as well as she used to a few months ago and had fewer engagements as a result. In my experience food there is hit or miss. We usually end up sitting in the pub and eating fish and chips. To answer another poster's question - I have a five year old and she doesn't mind listening to the show. I wouldn't say it's her favorite thing to do but older kids might enjoy it more.

Yes the food has changed over the years, not worse just different. As with all Disney food over the last decade or so it has been quality reduced(or profit increased)depending on tour point of view. For instance what is now the Sunday Roast sounds and looks good, But it replaced a very good prime rib in either a queen or king cut. Both meals are fine just not equal. It is, still, a perfectly good meal. Who can argue with a Bass?:drinking1As for the kids, depending on age, they may not even recognize any of her songs. And her interaction may go right over their heads.

thanks all- Glad to hear the food seems to be on a bit of an upturn. As of now, in regards to Pam- it seems like the only night she is performing is her traditional Sunday. We always take the kids there and they don't overly enjoy her for as long as Dh does - and i would prefer they have a bit better of a meal than the pub grub. We also have one wheelchair in the group and it's a tight squeeze in there- which is why i think the restaurant is better.

This is a timely thread for me, as we just booked lunch there for our trip next month and it's one of the few restaurants we have yet to try. My DD6, however, has developed a surprising love for Bangers & Mash, and she asked if there was any place to try them in WDW, so we decided to book Rose & Crown since DW has fond memories of going there as a child.

My question is whether the Bangers & Mash on the kids' menu are true English bangers, or should I order an adult meal and let her share mine? I know it sounds silly, but she can tell the difference (I tried making them at home for her, but couldn't find real bangers in Des Moines, Iowa so I substituted other sausage and she turned up her nose; when I ordered bangers and had them shipped to us, she snarfed them down).

Thanks for any insights anybody can offer!

We probably eat at the Rose & Crown more than any other restaurant, the last being Christmas Day. As with most things, there have been changes, but not as much as many other restaurants. There is still fish and chips, but it's not quite as good as when it was Harry Ramsden's. Still, a decent meal, though. The prime rib has been gone for years. One thing that has not changed is people fretting over getting a patio view for Illuminations.

My question is whether the Bangers & Mash on the kids' menu are true English bangers, or should I order an adult meal and let her share mine? I know it sounds silly, but she can tell the difference (I tried making them at home for her, but couldn't find real bangers in Des Moines, Iowa so I substituted other sausage and she turned up her nose; when I ordered bangers and had them shipped to us, she snarfed them down).

The kids bangers and mash is exactly the same as the adults just a smaller portion (3 bangers on the adults, 1 on the kids) and are traditional english sausages shipped in. Hope this helps and have a great trip! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter