Rose and Crown question....

kellyf2626

DIS Veteran
Do I need to make a reservation to sit outside and have dinner and watch Illuminations? :confused3

If yes, what time should I make it for and do I need to request a certain table? :confused3

When I was there in May, the last PS was 8:00. We had a 7:20 PS and asked for an outside table, got seated at 8:00 and got the outside table. I think people who are seated after 7:30 outside are unlikely to leave before Illuminations.

Please note that they will not guarantee you an outside seating. You can only request this when you arrive at the podium.

Please note that they will not guarantee you an outside seating.
Very true. We were lucky enough to get seated on the terrace 2 times out of 6 visits to Rose & Crown. Asking nicely appears to help.

We will be there the beginning of December and I was hoping to be seated outside at Rose and Crown, now rethinking this as do you think it will be too cold to sit outside?

Is it possible to eat dinner inside and perhaps have coffee outside closer to the showing of Illuminations.

M

We had an 8:00 ps and it was a perfect time!! (Beside the rain we encountered sitting outside). Once again, you are not GARUINTEED (sp?) anything, and odd's are against you for getting a table on the deck.

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

I guess I will make the reservation, and hope for the best regarding an outside table! DH and I will be extra nice when asking at the podium! :love1:

We have never eaten there before, so hopefully we will enjoy it!

kellyf2626 said:
Thanks everyone for the feedback!

I guess I will make the reservation, and hope for the best regarding an outside table! DH and I will be extra nice when asking at the podium! :love1:

We have never eaten there before, so hopefully we will enjoy it!

We ate at the Rose and Crown last Sunday. I am happy to have the chance to reply to this thread, since I have read negative things on this board about Rose and Crown. We all LOVED it. I had the steak and prawns - yum, DH had the fish and chips and the fish was not soggy as I have read on some posts here. Don't remember what the kids had but they finished everything. The CMs here are the sweetest and being nice at the podium definitely helps. We were seated right on the lagoon. Illuminations was literally over our heads. Only negative is that when you are that close, you will have a couple of pieces of debris fall on you at the end. Small price to pay for the wonderful experience we had. BTW, our PS for that evening was at 7:30. We were seated about 7:40 and the timing was perfect. We love the R and C!!!

Does the resteraunt close earlier than? I am making a ressie for 7:30, hoping for an Illuminations patio table. :teeth:

I was there December 2004 and sat outside for Illuminations, it was not too cold and it was AMAZING!! The food was GREAT!! We had a reservation for 5:30 and did not get there until around 7:30 and we got a table with no problem. We were doing the "Drinking Around the World" tour... LOL :rotfl: ... And it took alot longer than we though, and we "poured" ourselves into the Rose and Crown. We had marinated mushrooms for an appetizer and they were DELICIOUS!! I had Sheppards Pie, which was YUMMY, friends had a Steak and Bangers & Mash. Everyone loved their meal, and it was reasonably priced. After that we walked to Jellyroll (Piano Bar) at the Boardwalk Hotel, and had a ball there.

Maggie0507 said:
We will be there the beginning of December and I was hoping to be seated outside at Rose and Crown, now rethinking this as do you think it will be too cold to sit outside?
M

We have a 7:50 in August. In May we had two patio tables (there were 10 of us) and we didn't time it right. We got through dining too early, around 8:15. The waitress wouldn't let us "stretch" it out because other people were waiting for the tables. I would have been happy to sit there and order desert & drinks but she was pretty adament we had to pack it up. Frankly we did feel a bit rushed by her which did not make us too happy. Oh well, hopefully we'll have better luck this next time.

We also felt we got the "bum's rush" out of there last week by the waitress who seemed to be really rushing us.

By this I mean asking us what we wanted to order before we had even had a chance to get our 4 year old situated in her seat with a coloring book and some crayons - we obviously hadn't even had a moment to look at the menu.

Then we ordered soup and salad appetizers and she pushed the entree out and set it on the table before I had even had three bites of my salad.

Then it was rush, rush, rush setting the check on the table before we had even asked for it - as soon as the dessert was set on the table.

The worst part of this was that it was pouring down rain at the time we were finishing our dinner - which is why we ordered the dessert to give the weather a chance to clear.

I don't know what she would have done if we had ordered coffee or another drink - probably put it in a to go cup

Out, out into the rain to stand around waiting 20 minutes for illuminations to start. By the time illuminations had started the rain stopped. If we hadn't been rushed thru dinner we wouldn't have even gotten wet.

I was furious. I will never go back.

I have heard stories in the past about people coming in at 6 or 6:30, and sitting there until Illuminations started! Now, that is not right. Anyway, the way it was explained to us a few years ago, that because of these types of situations, they actually do have to rush folks along a bit. It is the 6-6:30 people that basically ruined things for the rest of us "normal :crazy: " folks.

Wow, we had the opposite experience of rushing. Our lovely waitress helped us time things just right. When she brought the salads, she said she'd make sure we had plenty of time to enjoy them before the dinner. She then timed each course so that we were receiving coffee and dessert just before the show. I think our PS was for 7:30, so it wasn't like we sat down at 6:00 and took over the place! But she was very nice about it. :)

Can anyone tell me what the view is like if you are seated inside? We have our PS for 8PM on Aug. 24th so I think we will be alright, but if we get stuck inside, will we be able to see anything? We have two DD's (2 and 4), and we are eating here basically so the kids have a really good view the first time they see Illuminations. Any info would be greatly appreciated. :)

This was the best tip I got off these boards!!! We ate at R&C in June. Had 7:50 PS arrangements. Got seated a few mins after 8 and got on the terrace - front row!! :cool1: When I checked in at the podium, I asked if we could go outside to view Illuminations even if we were seated inside and the hostess said by all means we could go out to watch. However, we got lucky (not sure if it's because I asked or not?! :rolleyes1 ) and got front row terrace, so it wasn't an issue. There were a few people that came out and watched even though they were seated inside.
Oh - and i was concerned about sitting inside since it was quite hot (no doubt it's even worse now), but the terrace side is shaded because it's on the east side of the building (sun sets in the west, so the building blocked the sun - which was going down anyway)! :goodvibes
BTW - food was great too!!! ::yes::

Badgerfan said:
Can anyone tell me what the view is like if you are seated inside? We have our PS for 8PM on Aug. 24th so I think we will be alright, but if we get stuck inside, will we be able to see anything? We have two DD's (2 and 4), and we are eating here basically so the kids have a really good view the first time they see Illuminations. Any info would be greatly appreciated. :)
I have heard taht if you are dining at rose and crown and you are there for illuminations, they let the people that are dining inside come outside and view illuminations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter