Rope Drop? I Say PM EMH

It truly is a hit and miss on so many things. I feel we were incredibly lucky that 1) We got to do so much the week before Easter. 2) My partner's first trip went GREAT and she didn't have a seizure. 3) All the PM EMH's (again only due to the week we were there) helped TREMENDOUSLY especially since we're night owls. AND 4) We were able to walk on so many things and had little or no wait on attractions I thought FOR SURE would still have a crazy wait on the walk over.

We did use Fastpasses as much as we could and used them for Soarin', Test Track, Tower of Terror (by the end of our week TOT usually had a 10-20 min stand-by) and Rock 'n' Roller Coaster. Yup, we got EXTREMELY lucky with Toy Story Mania because when you can't do Rope Drop, you miss out on Fastpasses cause by the time you get to the park, they're all gone. I'm strictly talking about busy weeks cause because of school, we can only go when it's crazy.

I also have several apps on my iPhone that help. They have wait times, menus, maps, etc.

Going to WDW is a science, really. And it can be SO overwhelming if you don't have the basics down. If you're going during a slow period, there's no need for Rope Drops and EMH's, and Disney knows that and doesn't have as many EMH's accordingly. There's also a lot of refurbs during those times because they can "afford" to have _____ down or _____ down. It's a give and take. There's good and bad about going when it's crazy and going when it's slow...

Great idea at a thread OP. Anytime somebody asks what advice they should have since its their first trip everyone says (myself included) ROPE DROP!

I myself am a night owl and have yet to experience evening EMH. I have young children who I don't want to attempt to keep up that late. So for now i'm arriving at opening.

However I don't represent everyone and I do believe it's a great idea to give all the options.

You also make me excited for the day those brats (just kidding:)) get out of the house so I can experience those late nights. I really hate mornings :).

I'm with you on this one. We view rope drop as a necessary evil for Studios and a cute once-in-a-while thing to see the opening show at the MK, but as a rule evening EMH are where its at! Especially during the warmer months when you not only get lighter crowds, you also get the enjoyment of touring without the blistering Florida sun.

I will say this, though. It isn't as good a strategy in the slow season. The evening EMH at Studios on our last trip was 7-10pm and every bit as crowded as the middle of the day. Unless the EMH runs past 11pm it doesn't seem to bring any real relief from crowds/lines, and in January the wee hours can be downright chilly.

My first real trip was in Feb and crowds were so low we had no problems at all the whole week. But this time around I am taking my "little" cousin for a graduation present. Just she and I, no kiddos. So with the heat and crowds, I plan on using both AM & PM EMH. We plan on hitting the parks early then taking a nap mid-day and going back for the PM.

My question is about transportation. I booked the Poly because I was thinking that all the transportation options would be the best for this strategy. But now I hear they have been shutting down the monorail mid-day, and it doesn't run for EMH. So, would I be better off switching to say POFQ and saving that money. How are the buses during EMH. Anyone ever stayed at the Poly and used EMH? Are the boats still running late at night?

OK, all you evening EMH experts:
Is Fantasyland less crowded during evening EMH or what time does it begin to thin out?
How long after the posted closing (even on non EMH nights) do they usher you out?
Are ALL rides open during evening EMH?
TIA

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter