• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rope drop earlier than planned?

frankieeyre

Mouseketeer
I read in a post on here that they sometimes open EPCOT or DHS earlier than the time?

How early is this? Is this every day? And why do they do this?

Thank you!! :banana:

DHS opens 15 minutes early. So if it says it opens at 9, it will open at 8:45. They do it at AK too, but you can only go so far. Think they open up the oasis area? Then you will come to a point where cms will be standing there with a rope until 9 (if it is due to open at 9).
I could be wrong, but it is to help with the crowds and the mad rush to Toy Story in DHS. And as they don't advertise it opens 15 minutes early, not everyone will know about it.
I'm sure I've missed something and someone will be along to fill in the blanks :)

1- DHS opens 15 minutes early. So if it says it opens at 9, it will open at 8:45.

2- They do it at AK too, but you can only go so far. Think they open up the oasis area? Then you will come to a point where cms will be standing there with a rope until 9 (if it is due to open at 9).

3- I could be wrong, but it is to help with the crowds and the mad rush to Toy Story in DHS.

4- And as they don't advertise it opens 15 minutes early, not everyone will know about it.

5- I'm sure I've missed something and someone will be along to fill in the blanks :)

1- Yes.
2- Yes.

DAK-RopeDrop-021012s.jpg

3- Correct.
4- Correct.

5- Whole deal:
Here's what's been happening in most of 2012:

Only MK still offers a Rope Drop SHOW along with an inside-the-gates holding area.
MK Gates open approx. 15 min. "early."
But, the Rope Drop show is timed so that guests will actually enter the PARK very near the actual opening time.

MK's Rope Drop Ceremony called "Magic Kingdom Welcome" (see location HERE.)

Guests are usually admitted starting about 15-20 minutes before
the posted opening time, to WAIT just inside the gates, in front of the train station (near the "flower Mickey face.")

The ceremony lasts 6-7 minutes or so and starts 6-7 minutes before the scheduled opening time.
There is also a "mini" version (far less "hoopla") that lasts about 2-3 minutes.
There is also an "AUDIO ONLY" version (no characters at all) that lasts under minute.
Which one you will see can be tough to guess.

----------------------------------

DAK no longer offers a Rope Drop SHOW,
but still has a "rope" (guest holding area) at a location past the Oasis, near the Tree of Life.
DAK Gates open approx. 15 min. "early," but guests are held behind the rope
until about "straight-up" posted opening time.

Epcot no longer offers a Rope Drop SHOW, AND no longer offers an inside-the-gates holding area.
Epcot gates (including the International Gateway) will likely open approx. 15 min. "early."

DHS no longer offers a Rope Drop SHOW.
DHS Gates likely open approx. 15 min. "early."
(DHS has opened as much as 30 min. early, but that's not been the case every day.)

AM EMH entrance times seem to not be affected (figure entering 2-10 minutes before the AM EMH time, as usual.)
On AM EMH days, MK will offer some form of their Rope Drop Show
(may or may not be the "full show")
only for AM EMH guests,
and no show at all for the regular hours open time that morning.

As always, for better positioning in the crowds, arrive well before the posted opening time at all parks.

Ah wow okay thanks.

So definitely aim to get there super early. How busy is it at DHS like 30 mins before? We normally got there for like 10 mins early and it was packed! But that was when they held you for the pre show!

Ah wow okay thanks.

So definitely aim to get there super early. How busy is it at DHS like 30 mins before? We normally got there for like 10 mins early and it was packed! But that was when they held you for the pre show!

Ah wow okay thanks.

So definitely aim to get there super early.

1- How busy is it at DHS like 30 mins before?

2- We normally got there for like 10 mins early and it was packed! But that was when they held you for the pre show!

1- It varies depending on what time of year, holidays, etc.

2- I wouldn't consider arriving 10 minutes before opening as actually being "early."
The gates will generally be packed and teaming with guests as the opening time gets that near.

We are generally 30 minutes early to the gates, and now with the new unannounced "before posted time" openings, we will be at least 50 minutes before the posted opening time.

There are pluses and minuses to arriving early. (i.e. Sleeping a little later can be a hard urge to resist.)
But, we have found, after years of WDW openings, that "earlier" beats "later" just about universally.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter