• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rope drop attractions in each park

Shasta

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
Not trying to skip research, just trying to get a head start. I haven't been to UO in 10 years. What are the "Flagship" attractions at each park that we need to grab early before the lines get silly (Spring break 3/08-3/14 with two teens)?

What I may need is a list of attractions in order of popularity and wait times. Does that exist? Was looking into Express Pass unlimited until I priced it. Wow! Now, trying to create a good plan of attack. I hate having a scripted plan but don't see another way.

Thanks in advance! :thumbsup2

I don't know of a list but from our experience, the Harry Potter rides, the Hulk and Despicable Me tend to get busy very quickly. We haven't been since the new Harry Potter area opened so I'm researching this very thing. Luckily, we have three park days.

I agree that the Express passes are pricey. They don't include the Harry Potter rides anyway so I don't see much point. From my understanding, they can always be added while at the park if it gets crazy.

There are touring plans out there if you search google. I've been checking those to get an idea of what we should do when.

You mentioned that you priced the unlimited express pass options. They can be insanely expensive!

However, did you price staying onsite at Royal? Onsite hotel guests staying at the three "deluxe" resorts get the unlimited express pass FOR FREE for the length of there stay including the day you check out.

I have no idea how many days your planning on doing Universal. If your planning on doing less than four nights at Universal, the cost of a room is around $320 a night. If your staying more than four nights, it comes down to around $280 a night.

While these prices sound high, you have to factor in how much your paying offsite. For a family of four staying offsite for say $120 a night, an extra $200 will get you TWO DAYS (check in and check out day) of unlimited express! That's just $100 a day or $25 a person! Lot better option than the $90 Universal wants to charge PER PERSON.

It's something to consider if you want to enjoy the parks without feeling rushed. Plus you get the other perks of staying onsite. The best one, considering your going for spring break, is the hour early entry into Diagon Alley. You will be able to experience everything Diagon has to offer before the main park opens with little to no wait.

If you decide to go without express passes, hit HP first thing in the morning or late in the evening. Spiderman and Hulk are the rides at IoA to hit right away. Spiderman can easily reach 120 minutes and Hulk can get as high as 70-90. At the Studios, Despicable Me can, and will, easily go over 200 minutes. Transformers can get to around 120 minutes. Rip Ride Rockit can reach 90-120 minutes. Mummy can reach 60 throughout the day.

Based on the park hours, it seems like Universal is planning on the last week of March going into April being the busiest time for spring break with the park hours from 8am-10pm. During your time it is more normal hours so it might not be insanely busy. The wait times I gave above are typically on extreme park days.

Enjoy your trip! Universal has changed so much since when you last went!!

If you decide to go without express passes, hit HP first thing in the morning or late in the evening. Spiderman and Hulk are the rides at IoA to hit right away. Spiderman can easily reach 120 minutes and Hulk can get as high as 70-90. At the Studios, Despicable Me can, and will, easily go over 200 minutes. Transformers can get to around 120 minutes. Rip Ride Rockit can reach 90-120 minutes. Mummy can reach 60 throughout the day.

Enjoy your trip! Universal has changed so much since when you last went!!

I'm taking my camper down and staying at Bill Fredrick Park on Turkey Lake for $120 for 8 days which is why I was considering splurging on express passes. We have 7 day unlimited that as I understand will be converted to equal a 7 day Park to Park pass. With rest days, we will probably go 4-5 days. Since we are staying so close, we may just go early and then leave and go back late and should eventually get everything. Or we may splurge on a pass for the first day only.

Your advice above is very useful. Thank you!

With some slight changes, I'm going to agree with the other posters. I would hit HP mid morning and not at RD especially Gringotts if you're not staying onsite. With EPA, the lines for Gringotts won't grow much in the first hour or so but the lines for other things will.

At USF, I'd go, Despicable Me, Revenge of the Mummy, Transformers, Simpsons(Could save for later), and MIB in quick sucession before going to Diagon Alley about 10:30 or so. You'll maybe spend an extra 10-15 minutes in line for Gringotts but save over an hour on the other lines.

At IOA, I'd hit Hulk and Spiderman, (and maybe Dr Doom) before heading back to Forbidden Journey.

The HP queues are so elaborate that spending a little extra time in them is not a completely bad thing the first time around.

Unless it's a really busy day, the only thing I think you could save a lot of time by hitting at rope drop is Despicable Me. Maybe the two main Potter rides, but they have had reasonable waits in my last few visits.

I tend to want to get Forbidden Journey done early because we've been in line when the ride goes down and it's easier when it's cool and not quite as jammed yet. I was thinking that the same might be true for Diagon Alley.

I've seen some recommendations to hit one Harry Potter area early and do what you can before it gets crowded and them come back in the evening. That works sometimes. Again, with Forbidden Journey we've seen waits drop to 30 minutes in the late afternoon/early evening but have also checked it and found it to still be over an hour. The queue is amazing but I hate waiting for any ride for an hour.

Is Transformers still getting as crowded? I was optimistically hoping that those lines had died down a bit.

If I was planning to do that many park days, I doubt I'd spend the money on Express Passes. Then again, if I was doing that many days, I'd likely spend an entire day in DA!! Yes, I loved it that much. You can spend a ton of time with the interactive wands, plus seeing all the shows. Please make a point of seeing both DA and Hogsmeade in the dark!

I'm taking my camper down and staying at Bill Fredrick Park on Turkey Lake for $120 for 8 days which is why I was considering splurging on express passes. We have 7 day unlimited that as I understand will be converted to equal a 7 day Park to Park pass. With rest days, we will probably go 4-5 days. Since we are staying so close, we may just go early and then leave and go back late and should eventually get everything. Or we may splurge on a pass for the first day only.

Your advice above is very useful. Thank you!

check with guest services if they will convert your 7 day to an AP.

With some slight changes, I'm going to agree with the other posters. I would hit HP mid morning and not at RD especially Gringotts if you're not staying onsite. With EPA, the lines for Gringotts won't grow much in the first hour or so but the lines for other things will.

At USF, I'd go, Despicable Me, Revenge of the Mummy, Transformers, Simpsons(Could save for later), and MIB in quick sucession before going to Diagon Alley about 10:30 or so. You'll maybe spend an extra 10-15 minutes in line for Gringotts but save over an hour on the other lines.

At IOA, I'd hit Hulk and Spiderman, (and maybe Dr Doom) before heading back to Forbidden Journey.

The HP queues are so elaborate that spending a little extra time in them is not a completely bad thing the first time around.

This is what I am planning to do as well. I was planning on hitting HP/DA first but now I see a much easier way to do this. I am doing Despicable me first followed by Transformers, Shrek and H'Wood RRR. Those four are close to each other and I keep seeing that Despicable me has always a huge wait time over 50 mins. I think this is the best way to go. Hopefully it works out.

This is what I am planning to do as well. I was planning on hitting HP/DA first but now I see a much easier way to do this. I am doing Despicable me first followed by Transformers, Shrek and H'Wood RRR. Those four are close to each other and I keep seeing that Despicable me has always a huge wait time over 50 mins. I think this is the best way to go. Hopefully it works out.

You can probably hold off of Shrek. They have 2 theaters so the wait is never that long. I'd probably hit that in the afternoon along with Terminator.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter