• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rope Drop AK... does this sound right to you?

PDXmouse

Mouseketeer
We have a rope drop day at AK planned. DD qualifies for the DAS. Here was my plan...

Arrive and grab a Kilimanjaro Safari DAS when we enter the park.
Head straight to EE. (Touring Plans estimates this will be a very short wait at this point.)
Head straight to Kali River Rapids (Touring plans says this will be a 100 minute wait at 7:45 am? This couldn't possibly be right, could it?)
Grab breakfast at Yak & Yeti Cafe.
Use our DAS pass at Kilimanjaro Safari.
Grab a FOP DAS.
Wander around - maybe see Lion King, get a drink at Pongu Pongu, shop (DD is dying to get an Avatar made of herself).
Ride FOP whenever our DAS return time allows.
Eat lunch at Satu'li Canteen.
Head back to the hotel.

DD cannot handle long park days, so this would max her out. It helps that she is OBSESSED with Avatar so she will be more interested in the latter part of the plan which takes place in Pandora.

I think it looks pretty solid, except for the wait time for Kali? Would it really be at 100 minutes while we are still in the 30 minutes of early entry?

Also... with riding Kali as our second attraction... will we regret being wet so early in the morning? I just don't see it being realistic to trek all the way back to Asia after lunch. So either we ride it in the morning when we are in the area, or we skip it all together.

Last edited:
We have a rope drop day at AK planned. DD qualifies for the DAS. Here was my plan...

Arrive and grab a Kilimanjaro Safari DAS when we enter the park.
Head straight to EE. (Touring Plans estimates this will be a very short wait at this point.)
Head straight to Kali River Rapids (Touring plans says this will be a 100 minute wait at 7:45 am? This couldn't possibly be right, could it?)
Grab breakfast at Yak & Yeti Cafe.
Use our DAS pass at Kilimanjaro Safari.
Grab a FOP DAS.
Wander around - maybe see Lion King, get a drink at Pongu Pongu, shop (DD is dying to get an Avatar made of herself).
Ride FOP whenever our DAS return time allows.
Eat lunch at Satu'li Canteen.
Head back to the hotel.

DD cannot handle long park days, so this would max her out. It helps that she is OBSESSED with Avatar so she will be more interested in the later part of the plan which takes place in Pandora.

I think it looks pretty solid, except for the wait time for Kali? Would it really be at 100 minutes while we are still in the 30 minutes of early entry?

Will we regret being wet so early in the morning? I just don't see it being realistic to trek all the way back to Asia after lunch. So either we ride it in the morning when we are in the area, or we skip it all together.
The reason Kali is 100 minutes at 7:45 is because it doesn't open until 9:00AM on days with a 7:30 EE.

We too qualify for DAS, and generally we follow a similar plan, but you'll need to either do another DAS request or wait on a line.
  • Rope drop Everest, grab a Safari return time as soon as soon as returns are available.
  • Maybe have your Yak & Yeti breakfast here depending on how early you like to eat.
  • Ride Safari, grab Kali return time.
  • You will have some time to kill here, this could be Lion King?
  • Ride Kali, now get your FOP return time.
  • More wandering, Pongu Pongu, maybe time for Satu'li as well depending on the return time.
  • Finally, ride FOP.

The reason Kali is 100 minutes at 7:45 is because it doesn't open until 9:00AM on days with a 7:30 EE.

We too qualify for DAS, and generally we follow a similar plan, but you'll need to either do another DAS request or wait on a line.
  • Rope drop Everest, grab a Safari return time as soon as soon as returns are available.
  • Maybe have your Yak & Yeti breakfast here depending on how early you like to eat.
  • Ride Safari, grab Kali return time.
  • You will have some time to kill here, this could be Lion King?
  • Ride Kali, now get your FOP return time.
  • More wandering, Pongu Pongu, maybe time for Satu'li as well depending on the return time.
  • Finally, ride FOP.
Ah!! Ok, that makes sense. So it doesn't open until 9:00 am, huh? We may just skip it. Thank you!

The Lion King line can get long so I would make sure to do the first show.

It is possible you will get miserably wet on Kali. It’s a river rafting ride, so some people can be only kinda wet but if you’re unlucky that day hello drenched. If you or someone in the party isn’t ok walking around like that all day you should skip it or bring changes of shoes/clothes/whatever.

Book N’avi after FOP. Sometimes you can get reception after the second tap style to book it then, sometimes you have to wait until you exit. It’s right there as you’re leaving the Avatar area so it does not require much more effort to include it. It is beautifully done.

It is possible you will get miserably wet on Kali. It’s a river rafting ride, so some people can be only kinda wet but if you’re unlucky that day hello drenched. If you or someone in the party isn’t ok walking around like that all day you should skip it or bring changes of shoes/clothes/whatever.

I always try to emphasize this with people who don't understand that you can come off that ride drenched like you literally jumped into a pool and got out. It's that soaking and not entirely unlikely. If the ride is in your plans, dry clothes or doing it last before leaving the park is best - and bring a towel (or buy them as souvenirs as they sell them in the main stores at AK. Ask me how I know this.) :)

Did you set up your 2 DAS rides ahead of time? If not, then call Disney to do that. You get 2 rides per day you can set in stone before you get there and then do the other rides on that day. I just had DAS a few weeks ago and I had KS and NRJ for my AK day.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter