Root Canal Advice for DS20

Bearvet

DIS Veteran
DS20 went for a routine dental visit while home on break. They found something on an x-ray called internal absorption where the tooth turns on itself and he needs a root canal to try to save the tooth! Yikes!

They suggested he have it done at school since it will require multiple visits. We're in MA and his school is in OH; I've already set it up and am looking for any advice from people who have been through this procedure - no horror stories please - only helpful advice!

DS24 will go with him, but I feel helpless being so far away. Any helpful advice?

I don't know anything about the condition, but a regular old root canal is no big deal. The worst part for me was the shots to numb you up. After that, it was a piece of cake.

DS20 went for a routine dental visit while home on break. They found something on an x-ray called internal absorption where the tooth turns on itself and he needs a root canal to try to save the tooth! Yikes!

They suggested he have it done at school since it will require multiple visits. We're in MA and his school is in OH; I've already set it up and am looking for any advice from people who have been through this procedure - no horror stories please - only helpful advice!

DS24 will go with him, but I feel helpless being so far away. Any helpful advice?

Is he in any pain?

When I had mine done I was dying in pain from infection.

All they do is numb you up and clean out the canals with tiny instruments. It will be sore for awhile.

I had to go for 2 sessions since my molar had 5 canals. Basically you sit in the chair for 3-4 hrs, so tell your other son to bring something to do while he waits.

Meh - Root canals aren't a big deal anymore. I have horrible dental phobia issues and I took a double dose of valium about an hour before the appointment. The endodontist also gave me nitrous during the procedure and it wasn't a huge deal. They had to take a small break here and there when I would start to hyperventilate. While it wasn't my idea of a fun day, it wasn't nearly the nightmare I thought it would be.

I have had several and the worst part is keeping your mouth open for that long.

I recommend he take any pain meds they give him. Otherwise the pain might get out of hand. Mine took 2 visits since it was infected. The first visit was to clean it out and make sure the infection got cleared up. The second finished the procedure. Almost an hour each visit.

Any reason DS24 is going? DS20 should not be getting any sedation for a root canal. In fact, dentists should not be doing sedation at all in their office.

Thanks for the positive information. Luckily the tooth is not infected and he's not in any pain. DS24 is going for moral support and in case any decisions need to be made (ie they can't save the tooth or who knows what). They scheduled 1 1/2 hours for the visit and it looks like OTC meds for pain unless they determine otherwise. They do not sedate for this - basically like getting a cavity filled.

He is very nervous about this. Then he'll need to get a crown at a dentist's office, so I guess I need to find one near his school that takes our insurance. Luckily he's in a city so there are plenty to choose from.

This is just not at all what we expected, but are hoping it was caught early enough and they can save the tooth. Thanks again!

Root canals just aren't the big hairy deal that they once were. With modern techniques and local anesthetics, there is no reason to expect the procedure to be an ordeal. IF he is phobic, the endodontist may recommend nitrous oxide or another form of sedation, but this is NOT the norm.

I've had a few done, and agree with a PP- the hardest part was keeping my mouth open for that long. Depending on which tooth it is, there can be several canals that need to be rotor-rooted. The second visits for the permanent filling/crown were nearly as long as the first. Again, no biggie. I was always given a prescription for pain killers- never needed them. But since this is his first, he should probably get the prescription filled just in case.

Just had one done last week. Numbing the roof of your mouth can hurt for a minute, when they do the shot itself. The worst part for me is the drilling. I HATE the sound of it vibrating in my head. The smell also. I don't know what it is, but it is yucky.

No pain though, just the initial numbing shots and of course some afterwards. My endo gave me percocets for pain. There is no way that something over the counter would have been effective.

So not anything to worry about. You go in, they numb you up (uncomfortable but no big deal) and then you sit there and feel nothing for a long time. Have him bring his music or a book on tape. They put a plastic thing in your mouth to hold it open. When it's over they take it out and help you close your mouth. That hurts like @(*%&(#*&$@(#&$!! for about 10 seconds as your mouth does not want to close now.

Then they gave me 3 Tylenol and sent me home. No pain at all when the meds wore off.

I went to McD and got a milkshake and went home and watched a movie. It's hard to talk for a bit when you are drugged up but it really is a non-event. No worse at all then getting a filling.. at least in my experience.

Good luck!

He shouldn't even need anyone to go with him. I have more than 6 of them done and there is really no pain. I have never once taken even a Tylenol after a root canal, there is just no reason to unless you have a badly infected one I guess.

He will be fine! I actually had 4 root canals last year. (During separate visits)

I went to a new dentist. With the dentist before that, I took Ativan for even cleanings! This one, I got NO medications ahead of time. They also wouldn't let me listen to my iPod to drown out the noises.

It was fine, and in my experience, easier and less painful than fillings. They numbed me up pretty good. Most of the shots I didn't even feel. A couple I did, and they weren't fun, but I was glad I had them.

They didn't send me home with pain medication, and I think I only needed Advil one time. I was pretty worthless the rest of the day, and it sometimes took me quite a while to be able to talk without drooling. The first root canal, half my face was numb for probably a good 6 hours.

But like I said, it was easier and less painful than fillings.

It's not a big deal at all. No worse than a filling. You get a bunch of novocain shots, you hang out while they do stuff to your tooth (that you don't feel), you go home. I've had them done on a lunch break and gone back to the office. I never needed anyone to go with me.

If he's had a cavity filled, tell him it's very much the same, just takes a little longer.

I've had 2 and they aren't fun, but also aren't awful. best thing I ever did was bring my ipod...really helps! in fact for the 2nd one I made a special playlist for it (all music that I find relaxing). doing it in ohio is a really good idea. one root canal I had took 3 visits because it was a complicated one, and the visits had to be spaced out.

Have him see an endodontist that specializes in root canal. I am dental phobic but was in so much pain I didn't care. Easy peasy and would do it again in a heartbeat. Good luck to your son.

My youngest DS (age 22) had all 4 wisdom teeth cut out at the end of Aug. In Nov. he had to have a root canal in one of the molars. He is now scheduled to get a crown Jan 6th, on the tooth that he had the root canal done. I talked to the secretary at the Endodontist's office and she said a crown is highly recommended after a root canal because the root canal leaves the tooth unstable. All I know is, that's a huge expense for 1 tooth! :eek:

TC :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter