Rooms for two families of 6 traveling together?

southernlove

Earning My Ears
Hi. We are planning a week long trip for next June. Our family has 4 children whose ages at that time will be 10, 8, 5, and 2. We will be vacationing with our friends who also have 4 kids. Their kids will be 10, 8, 6, and 3.

Technically, our family could stay in one room since our youngest would still be in a crib, but the other family definitely could not.

We would like to stay in one of the monorail resorts, and I'm wondering if it's possible to get 3 rooms that connect. That way, we could use the room in the middle (if it connected to the rooms on either side) for the four oldest boys (the two 10 year olds and the two 8 year olds). DH and I would be on one side of that room with our two youngest, and our friends would be on the other side of that room with their two youngest.

Our friends definitely want monorail service, and I'm leaning toward the Poly. DH and I haven't had a vacation in 7 years, so we're willing to splurge on the hotel room!!

Thanks for any advice,

Kristi

I haven't seen one, but I have heard that there are a very few rooms at the GF that are set up this way.

I'd call the hotel directly and ask, and then ask them how you would get that set up in teh reservation through WDTC or CRO.

Anne

If you are family traveling with children and need 2 rooms because children will be in the second room the hotels will set the connecting rooms aside for those families first. I am not sure if there are 3 rooms that connect. You would need to call the resort to find out. I am not even sure if they would guarantee this, but you could ask.
I hope that makes sense!

Your other option might be a Home Away from Home resort. These are the DVC resorts. Some of them have a Grand Villa. That's a 3 bedroom "home" that fits up to 12 people. You get 3 bedrooms, plus a livingroom, dining area, full kitchen, and laundry. They are really great. The only ones wth the 3 bedroom layout are Boardwalk and Old Key West, so, not on the monorail, but the extra space is not to be believed.

Even though they are sold out DVC resorts, you can often make reservations from Disney as they have rooms available from members who have traded out for a Cruise or something. You could also rent from a DVC member here on the boards. The cost would not be cheap, but then neither are 3 rooms at a monorail resort!

The Grand Villas are highly desired so you need to start early if this looks like an option.

This March we were in rooms at the Polynesian that fit your needs. We had two connecting rooms and the room that my DH, our sons and I were in had another connecting door on the other side. However both rooms we had were accessible...one fully so and the other with a tub with rails, more open bathroom, etc.. I don't know if they have similar setups in other longhouses but perhaps. I think the designers of the Polynesian were really tuned into the needs of various sized families!

Thanks so much for these suggestions. I think that our buddy family is backing out. The dad of that family originally wanted to pull the kids out of school for a week at the end of April. His wife did not want to, and our family did not want to do that either. Well, now that we were coming up with a plan for the first week of June, he says that he thinks it will be too hot (they live in Mississippi, for crying out loud, and we are moving to Alabama this month), and he doesn't think that listening to 8 complaining children for a week would be very enjoyable. He doesn't want to pay that much money to melt in the sun, and fight large crowds. He ended up saying with a big sigh, "Well, I guess if that's what everyone else wants to do." His wife and I both know that it WILL be hot, and the kids WILL complain, and she doesn't want to listed to any I told you so's.

Oh well, my dh still is all for it, heat and all. I think that I may go ahead and try for the three adjoining rooms at the poly, and then I could cancel one of the rooms if they definitely decide NOT to go. My sister offered to come along (at our treat) to play "nanny" for us and help out with the kids, so we would keep two of the adjoining rooms.

The only other time we would consider is sometime around Feb 23-24. Our kids have two days off for Mardi Gras. We would have to take them out of school for 3 more days which I'm not crazy about. My friend's kids don't have these days off, and she really doesn't want them to miss any school, so that probably wouldn't work either. Oh well, you can't please them all!!!!!

Thanks again,
Kristi

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter