Roommate Issues

BadDad

Mouseketeer
Has anyone ever experienced problems with their roommates?
Issues like bullying, obnoxious behavior and verbal agressiveness...

• How was if handled?
  • How does Disney handle it?
  • How best to prevent it?

I haven't experienced roommate issues for CP being as I haven't gone yet BUT I think I have had the worst roommate in history. She would threaten me, tell my other roommates she was going to break in my room when I was out and kill my cat, and constantly bullied me. She also broke into my room one morning and woke me up to scream at me because one of her friends had sat on my couch and gotten hives from my cats hair despite the fact they were all fully aware that I had a cat and the couch had been sat on by the cat.... So basically I just ignored her kept my room locked and dealt with it... but it was hard.

Has anyone ever experienced problems with their roommates?
Issues like bullying, obnoxious behavior and verbal agressiveness...

• How was if handled?
  • How does Disney handle it?
  • How best to prevent it?

I have had bad roommates, but i haven't experienced bullying, just obnoxious behavior. Price management (who runs disney housing basically) has a whole program in set where if a student is having troubles with a particular roommate, then that student goes to "housing programs" and files a complaint and explains what's happening, they then sit down and have mediated meeting between the two or the entire apartment, then you go back to living together and see if things were settled and if they weren't then you are given the option to move apartments. BUT that's the long way to go about it, if you are having troubles with a roommate or apartment-mates then you pay a 50 dollar moving fee, however, how fast and to which complex you want to move into all depends on what they have available. But in reality, you may not see your roommates all that often because you will all have different schedules.

I lived in a 3 bedroom with 6 girls total, and some of my roommates i didn't see for 2 weeks because we had such different schedules. The main room and kitchen is the hardest to really come together and take care of. I strongly suggest having a meeting the first day and maybe decide who does what on certain days and make a pact that when dishes are used, you do your own, and so on. I also suggest bringing earplugs and an eye-mask if you are a light sleeper, because your roommate may not have the same sleep schedule as you.

I haven't done the CP yet, but I'm not too worried about the roommate situation after the 2 years I spent living on my own... I had THE WORST LUCK EVER for roommates... that I doubt anything on the CP can be worse than what I dealt with... one roommate didn't pay rent for like 3 months somehow, and I'm stuck paying that off still in 50.00 a month installments because I'm a good person and kept a really good rapport with my landlord and can't be a jerk and just ignore that balance... another I tried to help out because we were friends when we lost her job but and ALWAYS paid me back until she decided to turn into a scumbag and steal a bunch of stuff from me and never pay on the rest of the 400.00 she owes me and drop off the face of the earth, and another skipped town one day and text me a few days later saying he wasn't coming back ever, and another moved out after a week and expected her security deposit back AND her rent back for the 3 weeks of that month she wasn't going to be there...

it sounds like a lot of roommates, but it was a 4 bedroom house and we were there for 2 years (meaning me ex and i), we cycled through them about every 6 months, it was stressful!

I've had some problems with my roommates my first program [not going to say what happened] but they all [but one] thought i did something when i didn't and blamed me, later they all moved out of the apartment so me and my other roommate later had to change apartments because it was only 2 of us in a 3bedroom, my new roommates i got were a blast, so i say i had to deal with that to get to the good

Basically, my S has found his roommates too immature, too filthy and too impersonal. All they do is complain, ignore and annoy each other.

He was hoping for them to be a group of 6 not 6 individuals.

Basically, my S has found his roommates too immature, too filthy and too impersonal. All they do is complain, ignore and annoy each other.

He was hoping for them to be a group of 6 not 6 individuals.

Sounds like my friends apartment. The roommates did the whine and complain thing, they did not want to behave like "grownups". So the management company let my friend move to another apartment.:thumbsup2

I think they charge a $50 relocation fee. But it is possible to move, he just better make sure he moving up and not down.

My first program in 06.. we had a lot of different girls from a lot of different places and backgrounds. We ended up having a huge altercation between the girls where things were thrown, etc. We ended up having a meeting between the roommates, we talked it out with the Price Management housing staff.. The guys name was Doug (he is to this day remembered because of what a sh*tshow the meeting was). We talked everything out and things somewhat went back to normal, then with I like 3? days left in our program it happened again and the housing staff sat us all down and asked what we wanted. The roommate ended up getting moved to a different apartment - if you ever feel like there is something wrong with your roommates or something isn't right with one of them.. tell someone. The housing staff honestly does its best to keep everyone safe. :)

My child's room had an incident and took it to security (it was a threat). He got to move to another complex. The management took statements from all involved.

He went from 5 immature 18-19 year olds to 7 mature 20-23 year olds (both wellness). In addition, his new apt's kitchen has 2 refrigerators and a panty.

I'm glad everything is resolved. I would hate to think his Disney experience was ruined because of some immature roommates. I hope things look better for him now that he is out that environment. :cool1:

Honestly? I was not impressed.

We had a serious roommate issue and met with them four times, yet they did nothing. She wouldn't admit to anything so we were not allowed to "accuse" her. She was stealing our stuff (food, medicine, hygiene products) and we caught her multiple times IN THE ACT yet they did nothing. Eventually we confronted her on our own with proof and she moved out while we were at work the next day. They wouldn't change our locks but they moved a new roomie in anyways. We noticed things still disappearing, very odd, and lo and behold we came home one day from the store and old roomie was standing in our kitchen stealing our stuff :scared1: The door was locked when we went out so we know she made a copy of the key and are pretty sure she'd come back multiple times to steal stuff while we were out. Yet there was still no punishment for her. I'd like to think that this was a fluke, but after meeting with them four times? :confused3

I'm really hoping for better luck in the roomie department this time only because I'd like some FRIENDS.

I came to the apartment 2 weeks after everyone else, there were 8 of us in total and I was the youngest but even so, I'm not annoying, or inconsiderate, or anything like that and I make friends easily (heck I made friends my first day down there and kept them till the end of the program) but my roomies were very quiet and kept to themselves.

I loved my actual roommate, she was amazing although we never really hung out and one other girl in the apartment was really great too, but the others were very self centered and ones mother was racist:sad2:

I'm not sure if she was but she worked with one of my friends and told him she didn't like me and I'd never said not a word to her in my life so was confused about that. I hope for a more comfortable situation this time around.

On the plus side i know quiet a few people who had no problem changing apartments.

I had a few bad roomates in the beginning of my program. I noticed in my situation and a few of my friends situation that were experiencing the same problems...the bad roomates normally dont make it through the program and most of them get terminated.

I've been worrying a little about the roommate situation. Do you think it is better to try to get an apartment with less bedrooms/less roommates so you have a smaller chance of having bad roommates? Or is it better to get a lot of roommates so you all can stick together against a bad roommate if you have one and have a lot of friends? It really could go either way, I think.

It doesn't work for everyone but my roommates and I all met and talked online before the program. We didn't expect to be best friends or anything but we wanted to make sure that we all viewed things kind of the same way and knew where everyone stood right off the bat.

I wasn't looking for a roommate (a big thing I would look out for are those people desperate to find someone before the program) but made some friends through here and Facebook and eventually found a roommate and two other girls who wanted to pair up. We decided on a 2 bedroom just so we knew we wouldn't end up with roommates who didn't feel the same as we did about things. Not to say we didn't have fun but all of us were so excited about going and planning on working for Disney again later on so we didn't want to risk termination for stupid housing issues.

It didn't work out perfectly, my roommate and I were almost too much alike to be great friends but we worked as roommates and the 2 in the other room had a big fight resulting in one roommate leaving and us getting a really awesome roommate replacing her (the reason I advise against those desperate for roommates). All in all I wouldn't have done it differently.

Funny you mention that about people being desperate to find roommates so far in advance. I've noticed a LOT of that and I think it's a little weird myself, just because of how early it is and I just don't find it that helpful since these same people tend to be choosing each other based off answers to 5 questions.

I'm not trying to say anything bad about those who are doing it, there's nothing wrong with trying to get to know people before you get down there. However, I think I'm just going to be relaxed about it and see what happens when I'm there. Looking forward to meeting new people and hopefully having good roommates.

Me too, I sort of like the anticipation of wondering what your roomie will be like. I'm okay with not even knowing till I get there, like I did last time.

I will say one thing about this whole desperation to find roomies thing, it was happening last time I went too on the FB group and it lead to some pretty mean/rude cliques being formed and I sort of see that happening again. More slowly this time but it's still early.

Maybe cliques and stuff are a just a necessary evil of having a program based around young people.

Dreamstuff, I see that happening too. That's why I'm just staying completely out of the parts of facebook groups that are talking about rooming together because it is seeming sort of clique-ish.

It doesn't seem clique-ish to me for people to search for roommates. It's the equivalent to being notified a few months prior in college about who you are rooming with. It's good to know who’s bringing what or even match color scheme. However, I do find it quite desperate to continue to post status about needing a roommate every day. I posted my survey and left it at that. If it happens it happens. There's no need to beg for roommates constantly like that. There's no guarantee that the person you meet on FB or Disboards will not turn out to be the roommate from hell. That part is getting a little out of hand.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter