Roomate stories?

BabyPiglet

DIS Veteran
For those of you who didn't know any of your roomates before they CP, how did you interact with them? Did you become good friends, or did you just avoid eachother?

For those of you who didn't know any of your roomates before they CP, how did you interact with them? Did you become good friends, or did you just avoid eachother?

I didn't know anybody going to FL. I joined the facebook group for the Fall '08 CP and talked to several people on there before going down. I looked for a roommate but never really found someone to room with before I got to FL. The facebook group decided to have a dinner the night before checkin and this is where I met a girl who I decided to room with. You can only pick your room roomie so we went to checkin together. We got a 3 bedroom and got paired with 4 other girls. We all got along so great and were all really great friends. We all liked to go out and do stuff and go to the parks and explore Orlando so we did all these things together. It was a little hard for me because I had to figure out how to split time between my awesome roommates and my awesome work friends. Four out of the six of us were closer to each other than the other 2... and I keep in touch with those 3 girls to this day. We actually had a reunion in Orlando only 2 months after leaving the program this past March since one of our roommates stayed in FL to work... I truly believe I was meant to meet those girls and we will always be friends. So there's my sap story :) haha

However, I have heard horror stories so perhaps mine is not the norm. :confused3

I had a two bedroom at Vista and my room roomie was a hot mess.. Very messy person always had her stuff everywhere. She also wasn't very considerate, I came down with the flu and woke up after being a nyquil coma to her getting it on with a guy. Not cool...
My other roommates were awesome one kept to herself and was out alot but quiet. The only problem we had with her was when she cooked she left all her stuff out. One time she left the plantains on the stove top cooking and went to work. I woke up with the fire alarm going off and smoke in the apartment, Yes the plantains were on fire!! It was funny after the fact.
The forth roommate and I are best friends and are going on seven years now and are like sisters from another mister and I am actually going to be in her wedding.
And no I didn't know any of them we all just happen to be in line within a few people of each other.

My first CP I went down with my roomie (this was before the notification system). That apartment worked out well. The funny thing was, all 4 of us were from NJ. Then for CPs 2-4, I did random roomies. I didn't have any issues with any of them, but I wasn't close at all to any of my roomies on CP 3-4. However, I loved my roomies on my second CP. They were all awsome, and I still talk with all of them. For my upcoming CP, I picked out my roomie. I think it will be nice knowing my roomie ahead of time.

I actually found my roommate on DISboards. I invited her to the Fall Facebook group when be became facebook friends. Between DIS and facebook we discovered we had several same interests and then did the roommate notification to guarentee that we'd be together. It worked out fine... we had similar ideas on what "clean" meant, and because we had the same role we could vent together. It was also fun that sometimes we worked together.

The other roommates were completely random and random would also be a great way to describe their personalities. Two were great and I still chat with them today... the other two were a little "off" but overall very nice. Our biggest fights were over the temperature of the apartment and the dishes.

Advice about temperature... the bedrooms in our apartment were not the same in terms of air circulation. One would be freezing and one would be hot at the same time. So the hot roommate would turn down the temp and the cold roommate turned it up. To be safe... just bring more blankets than you think you'll need. It's easier to throw on a blanket then to get into a huge debate. On hot night I just wore a tank and used a sheet - luckily I wasn't in one of the "extreme" temp rooms.

I went in not knowing anyone and did fine. My room roommate self termed halfway through the program and her replacement really didn't work out. I won't go into detail, but essentially she tried making up things so she could get out of the apartment without paying the moving fee. Other than that, we all got along for the most part. It's inevitable for roommates to annoy each other at times, but we did fine. Some of my roommates turned weird after we moved out, but that's okay. The craziest part of my experience is that two of my roommates ended up being from the same state as me. One actually lives 20 minutes away and we hang out all the time.

I lived in a 3 bedroom apartment and it worked out great. Each bedroom had two pairs of girls that knew each other from home. We hung out alot with each other and I'm still best friends with 3 and keep in touch with the other 2. Every Sunday, we would all go out dancing together! I think why we got together so well was because we talked about everything (sharing food, thoughts on having people over, etc) the first day. The only time there was fights was around the inspection time. I would defintely suggest coming up with a system for cleaning common areas so some people don't feel like they are doing everything. I also have to agree with the temperature problem as well. My room would be so cold at night while my other roommates were sweating. I think living in a bigger apartment is nice because it gives you more potential friends.

My First CP I was in a 3 br. I met my roommate online from wdwcpinfo.com. We chatted for like 3 months before we got there so we knew for the most part what the other person was like, and it worked out great. Still bet friends 5 years later. The other 4 in the apt we didn't know. 1 of them we were friends with and still talk to occasionally. Another was nice, kept her areas clean and did her part around the apt, but we hardly saw her. Another 2 we just existed with, didn't care for them but for the most part we just didn't get in each others way. We made a schedule of things to do for the common areas, like taking the kitchen trash out, wipe the tile floor, turn dishwasher on and empty and each week we rotated. It worked for us.

Second CP I just went with random selection when I got there and it turn out great. No disagreements and all 4 of us pitched in around the apt. We would hang out in the apt late night when all of us got home from work and would go to Ihop like once a week, but we didn't get to hang out in the parks much since we worked all different hours.

I'm in a 3 bedroom right now. My immediate roommate I met on here and due to our schedules we really don't see each other that much. My other roommates I didn't know at all and one of them I have become really close with. We plan on visiting each other often even though we're on opposite coasts. I'm close to the other two, and the one is kind of "weird" and nobody really hangs with her much. But we all get along surprisingly well!

I think for the most part you will atleast have one person in the apartment to hang out with.
On my second program I got placed in a two bedroom apartment and was by myself for the first three weeks and then got roommates at the second check-in. The all knew each other and were all mormans not like that is in an issue for the most part but I am not religious at all and they were very much so. All four of us all had different personalities and I had the only car in the apartment. They would always want to know my schedule so I could drive them to the store etc. Not that I mind but they never asked nicely and they never chipped in for gas. So after two weeks I paid the 50 and moved out... the next apartment was a three bedroom still in vista but with all spring advantage programs. Everyone was way cool and we had the same type of personalities. When I come home from work one day and since they were leaving in four day I had to choose to either move to another apartment in Vista or move to Chatham. This was after the fact that they closed Chatham and moved everyone to Vista due to renovations just two months earlier. So I opted to move to chatham of course they only gave you three days to move and you also had to have a car. So after this went down there were only two buildings in Chatham filled and we all had cars so no busses ran either. My roommates in the new three bedroom were awesome we did the cleaning schedule and we had one night a week where we all got together for dinner with the guys from across the hall and I still talk to a few of them.
So in one CP. I had three apartments and I still talk to probably three of them. This was before the roommmate notification deal, so it was random and I think for the most part its what you make of the situation. I would recomend that you discuss cleaning, dishes, overnight guest before the end of the first week.

I have a one bedroom apartment and I went from a great roommate situation, to a not-so-great one. My first roommate and I will be good friends for a long time to come. We both got along very well, kept our stuff clean and had such good times together. Unfortunately, she had to go home early because of family stuff. My new roommate is just not anything like my first. She is complete SLOB and I'm very clean. She also refuses to sleep in the bedroom, so her stuff is constantly all over the couch, taking up the entire living room. She is also very inconsiderate, makes noise when I'm sleeping, goes through my stuff, etc. We've talked and yet things just don't get resolved. All I can do is anxiously wait until May. It's all very frustrating and I am thinking about going to down to housing and asking them to move her someplace else. I just feel like I'm out of options here. :headache:

I have a one bedroom apartment and I went from a great roommate situation, to a not-so-great one. My first roommate and I will be good friends for a long time to come. We both got along very well, kept our stuff clean and had such good times together. Unfortunately, she had to go home early because of family stuff. My new roommate is just not anything like my first. She is complete SLOB and I'm very clean. She also refuses to sleep in the bedroom, so her stuff is constantly all over the couch, taking up the entire living room. She is also very inconsiderate, makes noise when I'm sleeping, goes through my stuff, etc. We've talked and yet things just don't get resolved. All I can do is anxiously wait until May. It's all very frustrating and I am thinking about going to down to housing and asking them to move her someplace else. I just feel like I'm out of options here. :headache:

Omg, this is so crazy. This person sounds so familiar. If you live in Chatham non-wellness on the 3rd floor and your roommate was extended from Fall 08, then she used to be one of my good friend's roommate. She would always say that she left her blanket on the couch and she snored when she slept. I know they had trouble getting along as well.

Great stories everyone. I know that my school makes a semi-big production of the DCP presentation (Purple posters EVERYWHERE, humongous banners, chalk Mickeys all over the sidewalks, library is covered with purple signage, etc) but I don't really know how many people actually sign up. So it would be hard to know if I'd be able to meet someone down here for a roomate. I guess I could always look on here or the facebook group for one. :)

I do know one girl who's down there right now and loves it, she says she is going to do it again but I'm not sure if it'd be at the same time as me.

It's not pertinent now, since I probably won't be signing up until fall '10. I was just really curious. :)

Yay...roomate stories! Ready for a long one? Hopefully SweaterInJune will see this and give me a hand since she was my roomate! We were Spring 07 CPs and a group of us became friends through another CP related chat board and myspace. What we all had in common is that we all applied either the day of or a few days after the application came out, had our interviews around the same time, and got accepted the same time. There were five of us (me included) getting there on the first arrival date and planned to room together. Well, SweaterInJune picked me and another girl up from the airport the day before check in as our plan was to meet up with the other two girls while checking in so we could all room together. So, the night before check in the other girl SweaterInJune and I were with chickens out and gets a return plane ticket back home. Then we get to check in and are ignored by the other two girls...so its just me and SweaterInJune at that point.

I am so grateful that it turned out the way it did, because she was one of the most incredible roomates and still one of my very very best friends. Sure we had our bad moments, but we had more than our fair share of good ones too. Its like having another sister and I wouldn't trade that for the world!

SweaterInJune and I shared a two bedroom with two other girls. Lets call them Barbie and Diva. So, Barbie we loved. She was unDisney without being antiDisney. And by that I mean that this was just an internship for her...not "DISNEY" like it is for the rest of us. Barbie went to a hospitality school back home and had to do an internship. Apparently her friends and her decided to apply as a joke...but then she was the only one who got in. Of course she didn't want to go but as her and her adviser were looking at the offer online her advisor clicked accept even though Barbie did not. Or at least thats what she claims...after getting to know her we totally believe it. Barbie hated work and missed her boyfriend and her cats, but she stuck it out. Funny thing was, she had a great job and her managers absolutely loved her and even told her to come back after she graduates for an even better job. Barbie of course declined. One time we dragged her to come to MK with us and watch a fireworks preview. After waiting until the wee hours of the morning for them to start she grumpily and sarcastically told SweaterInJune and I, "I've had enough amusement for a lifetime!". And that was Barbie.

Now Diva was one of those terrible roomates you hope you never end up with. She was selfish, spoiled, dirty, inconsiderate, loud, lazy, and did I mention spoiled? Diva was more of a princess back home and couldn't get used to having a job, as the CP was her first. In the first three weeks she only went to work 3 or 4 times...we still don't know how she managed that. Yet, "Daddy" sent her enough money to go on nice little shopping sprees every day...even though she was "sick". Poor Barbie didn't have any room left in their closet after Diva was done. She ended up self terming a couple months since she couldn't handle it.

Diva was replaced with another incredible roommate, lets call her Pluto. She was a lotta fun and instantly meshed with the three of us. Even though we had to put up with Diva to get to Pluto she was completely worth it and I'd do it over again in a heartbeat. We are still very close with Pluto. Actually, a couple of nights ago I got a call from SweaterInJune, Pluto, and our honorary roommate (which I won't even start on because thats another long but wonderful story) who were together back "home". I miss my roommates!

The point of my novel, is that CPers are a mixed bag. You seriously never know what your gonna get. I was lucky and ended up with lifelong friends...family really.

Anything to add SweaterInJune?

I didn't know anybody going to FL. I joined the facebook group for the Fall '08 CP and talked to several people on there before going down. I looked for a roommate but never really found someone to room with before I got to FL. The facebook group decided to have a dinner the night before checkin and this is where I met a girl who I decided to room with. You can only pick your room roomie so we went to checkin together. We got a 3 bedroom and got paired with 4 other girls. We all got along so great and were all really great friends. We all liked to go out and do stuff and go to the parks and explore Orlando so we did all these things together. It was a little hard for me because I had to figure out how to split time between my awesome roommates and my awesome work friends. Four out of the six of us were closer to each other than the other 2... and I keep in touch with those 3 girls to this day. We actually had a reunion in Orlando only 2 months after leaving the program this past March since one of our roommates stayed in FL to work... I truly believe I was meant to meet those girls and we will always be friends. So there's my sap story :) haha

However, I have heard horror stories so perhaps mine is not the norm. :confused3

Aww, such a sweet story. Thanks for sharing!:)

I had a two bedroom at Vista and my room roomie was a hot mess.. Very messy person always had her stuff everywhere. She also wasn't very considerate, I came down with the flu and woke up after being a nyquil coma to her getting it on with a guy. Not cool...
My other roommates were awesome one kept to herself and was out alot but quiet. The only problem we had with her was when she cooked she left all her stuff out. One time she left the plantains on the stove top cooking and went to work. I woke up with the fire alarm going off and smoke in the apartment, Yes the plantains were on fire!! It was funny after the fact.
The forth roommate and I are best friends and are going on seven years now and are like sisters from another mister and I am actually going to be in her wedding.
And no I didn't know any of them we all just happen to be in line within a few people of each other.

Wow, talk about respect and consideration-that person had none. Sorry you had to go through that. Yuck!:eek:

My First CP I was in a 3 br. I met my roommate online from wdwcpinfo.com. We chatted for like 3 months before we got there so we knew for the most part what the other person was like, and it worked out great. Still bet friends 5 years later. The other 4 in the apt we didn't know. 1 of them we were friends with and still talk to occasionally. Another was nice, kept her areas clean and did her part around the apt, but we hardly saw her. Another 2 we just existed with, didn't care for them but for the most part we just didn't get in each others way. We made a schedule of things to do for the common areas, like taking the kitchen trash out, wipe the tile floor, turn dishwasher on and empty and each week we rotated. It worked for us.

Second CP I just went with random selection when I got there and it turn out great. No disagreements and all 4 of us pitched in around the apt. We would hang out in the apt late night when all of us got home from work and would go to Ihop like once a week, but we didn't get to hang out in the parks much since we worked all different hours.

Sounds ideal. When everyone is responsible and willing to pitch in it helps for sure.

Oh, wow. That sounds horrible. I empathesize with you. I hope things get better soon.:hug: Hang in there.

Yay...roomate stories! Ready for a long one? Hopefully SweaterInJune will see this and give me a hand since she was my roomate! We were Spring 07 CPs and a group of us became friends through another CP related chat board and myspace. What we all had in common is that we all applied either the day of or a few days after the application came out, had our interviews around the same time, and got accepted the same time. There were five of us (me included) getting there on the first arrival date and planned to room together. Well, SweaterInJune picked me and another girl up from the airport the day before check in as our plan was to meet up with the other two girls while checking in so we could all room together. So, the night before check in the other girl SweaterInJune and I were with chickens out and gets a return plane ticket back home. Then we get to check in and are ignored by the other two girls...so its just me and SweaterInJune at that point.

I am so grateful that it turned out the way it did, because she was one of the most incredible roomates and still one of my very very best friends. Sure we had our bad moments, but we had more than our fair share of good ones too. Its like having another sister and I wouldn't trade that for the world!

SweaterInJune and I shared a two bedroom with two other girls. Lets call them Barbie and Diva. So, Barbie we loved. She was unDisney without being antiDisney. And by that I mean that this was just an internship for her...not "DISNEY" like it is for the rest of us. Barbie went to a hospitality school back home and had to do an internship. Apparently her friends and her decided to apply as a joke...but then she was the only one who got in. Of course she didn't want to go but as her and her adviser were looking at the offer online her advisor clicked accept even though Barbie did not. Or at least thats what she claims...after getting to know her we totally believe it. Barbie hated work and missed her boyfriend and her cats, but she stuck it out. Funny thing was, she had a great job and her managers absolutely loved her and even told her to come back after she graduates for an even better job. Barbie of course declined. One time we dragged her to come to MK with us and watch a fireworks preview. After waiting until the wee hours of the morning for them to start she grumpily and sarcastically told SweaterInJune and I, "I've had enough amusement for a lifetime!". And that was Barbie.

Now Diva was one of those terrible roomates you hope you never end up with. She was selfish, spoiled, dirty, inconsiderate, loud, lazy, and did I mention spoiled? Diva was more of a princess back home and couldn't get used to having a job, as the CP was her first. In the first three weeks she only went to work 3 or 4 times...we still don't know how she managed that. Yet, "Daddy" sent her enough money to go on nice little shopping sprees every day...even though she was "sick". Poor Barbie didn't have any room left in their closet after Diva was done. She ended up self terming a couple months since she couldn't handle it.

Diva was replaced with another incredible roommate, lets call her Pluto. She was a lotta fun and instantly meshed with the three of us. Even though we had to put up with Diva to get to Pluto she was completely worth it and I'd do it over again in a heartbeat. We are still very close with Pluto. Actually, a couple of nights ago I got a call from SweaterInJune, Pluto, and our honorary roommate (which I won't even start on because thats another long but wonderful story) who were together back "home". I miss my roommates!

The point of my novel, is that CPers are a mixed bag. You seriously never know what your gonna get. I was lucky and ended up with lifelong friends...family really.

Anything to add SweaterInJune?

Thanks so much for this wonderful story. I love these personal experiences.
Looks like there are good roommate situations, hmm...:woohoo:

Way back when I did the CP (back in the days when dinosaurs roamed the earth, and they didn't do any of this "pre-select your roommate" stuff (Fall '04)), I ended up with pretty good roommates.

I only knew a small handful of people that were going to be doing the CP, mostly from here on the DIS, and none of them had the same arrival date, so we couldn't do the "Let's get in line together" thing. So, I go through the line, check in, and end up with a 2 bedroom in Vista. I go to the room, and I'm the first one there, so I get my pick of rooms/beds ... chose the bed closest to the exterior window (as opposed to the room with the window that faced a hallway). About half an hour later, roommates start showing up.

My immediate roommate was J, and in the other room were M and D. We all got along pretty well. All 4 of us were generally pretty quiet, and not big partiers, despite being over 21. 3 of us worked in Attractions (in 3 different parks), and 1 worked front desk at one of the resorts.

We hung out together a few times ... the first night we had our IDs we all went to watch Illuminations, and some of us went to DHS (MGM at the time) for a few hours on the next night. We also had the occasional dinner outing, but with all our different schedules it wasn't always easy to do.

As the semester went on, we didn't spend as much time as a big group, but I remember going to the parks with J a few times, and going on a photographic expedition with M (he and I are both photographers ... he's better than I). I also remember during the hurricanes, when we couldn't go anywhere, we all stayed in the apartment and watched TV. Someone (D, I think) went around to see if anything interesting was going on in the rest of the building ... he came back to report "I'm staying here. Everyone else is watching the weather" (we were watching a football game)

So, to make a long rambling story a bit shorter, I liked all my roommates. (M is still with the company, and I run into him from time to time ... not often, but occasionally)

This is not about a personal experiance, but my brothers roommate experiance the two times he went through the DCP.

The first time was like someone had said before in 04, when they didnt have the notification system so my brother was put with a random person. We went down with him to move in because we had spent the week at disney. So as we were moving in his roommate came in with his mom, they were nice. But when we left and they started my brother called my dad. My brother was living in a 4 bedroom apartment and the other two guys in his apartment were gay. My brother really didnt have a problem and got along with the other two guys and they became friends with quite a few people at vista, my brother actually just recently saw Andrew. But my brothers room mate was a little homophobic I think because he would make rude and sometimes snide remarks about them being gay and told them they werent aloud to be within five feet of him. (Yeah the guy turned out to be crazy.) He thought disney payed for lunch and dinner for them (He used his ID to buy food at the cafeteria) and thought there was a maid service that came and cleaned their room. He thought the program was a vacation and got pretty angry when he was scheduled pretty much the entire week during July. He ended up just leaving, my brother went to work and came back to find his roommates stuff gone and his roommate missing. He thought maybe his roommate had changed rooms without telling him but when he went to the vista office, they told him that he self terminated himself. My brother ended up getting another roommate when Fall 04 started and was pretty happy. The two of them are still pretty close friends. They actually both roomed together when they both went back in 06.

But yeah, it was crazy, the guy blamed disney for everything. Another thing about disney providing things, he thought all their food was provided in their pantry and refrigerator. They guy was just a little crazy. lol

But yeah, it was crazy, the guy blamed disney for everything. Another thing about disney providing things, he thought all their food was provided in their pantry and refrigerator. They guy was just a little crazy. lol

sounds like that guy didn't do enough research before applying for the cp.
these stories are great. keep'em coming, i'd love to read more.

From my CP in 2004...

In a nutshell...

...still only talk to 2 of 5 other roommates...

...one of my roommates returned home so drunk one morning, he peed in the refrigerator.

The End.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter