Room Upgrades...a better chance

Disneyfied4

Mouseketeer
Do you think you have a better chance of getting a room upgrade if you book directly with Disney than you do when you book using an agent or AAA?

We have been 5X. This last trip we booked thru Disney's CRO. It was on this trip that we got the upgrade. My husband is convinced it's b/c we booked directly with Disney and didn't use AAA.

I would do a poll, but I am not sure how to start one. I think it would be interesting to see if there is a difference based on how the stay was booked.

Thanks so much!

Just back on Sunday. Booked a room only for one night through Dreams Unlimited for AS Sports with AAA, booked standard, I think we had preferred room location, Touchdown, Bldg closest to the food court and main bldg. Moved over to YC on Wed. morning, booked standard room package with the code for free hopping and water parks and DQ. Again booked through Dreams Unlimited. Approached at check in that we were upgraded to Concierge for our entire stay. I have booked through Dreams, booked through Disney, used various codes and discounts (AP holder, GA resident). Been upgraded several times. I think it's luck of the draw. :)

I've used a TA and booked directly and never been upgraded. Seven WDW visits. I'm guessing I don't expect and upgrade so I don't receive one. *LOL*

I've used a TA for four (4) of my past trips. 2 of them I didn't get upgraded. The other two I did get upgraded--the best being an upgrade to a Savannah view at AKL. I think it's just the luck of the draw. :thumbsup2

My husband and I have been to WDW 25 times and have never been upgraded! What are we doing wrong????

The three times my family and I have been upgraded they were room only reservations made with CRO, however a Cast Member once told me when a free upgrade happens it's totally random and it has to do with their computer when they enter your name at the time of check-in. So it has nothing to do with how you made the reservation.

There's no "forumla" to getting an upgrade...

It can depend on a variety of reasons, everything from your CM checking you in's mood, your check-in date and time, occupency levels, to resorts and room categories being overbooked.

I've always felt more comfortable booking with Disney as I do feel that "they take good care of you."

In December of 2001, POR was partially closed due to low occupency but still opened. About two weeks before our stay, Disney called and offered us the chance to upgrade to the Contemporary, Grand Floridian, or Polynesian. WHOA! We ended up upgrading to the Polynesian... AMAZING!

At AKL in 2002 we checked in for one night with a really sweet CM. She noticed how long we were staying for and mentioned that since we were only here for a short amount of time, she'd like to upgrade us to a pool view room with bunk beds.

Book with whoever you feel most comfortable with, but never let the idea of upgrades be your deciding factor! We like booking for Disney since we have full control of our reservation and we have full trust in them compared to using a TA.

Silly question, but I don't see the answer here on these posts. Are you guys asking if an upgrade is available when you check in or are you standing there waiting for it to happen? I've always asked at other hotels, sometimes I get one sometimes not. I don't want to ask at Disney and it rubs them the wrong way and they take back the upgrade I was going to get randomly.

Silly question, but I don't see the answer here on these posts. Are you guys asking if an upgrade is available when you check in or are you standing there waiting for it to happen? I've always asked at other hotels, sometimes I get one sometimes not. I don't want to ask at Disney and it rubs them the wrong way and they take back the upgrade I was going to get randomly.

We are currently here and were upgraded without asking from standard to Savannah view at AKL!!

The only time we have ever been upgraded for free was at AKL. I found a great rate through Travelocity of all places for standard view. We arrived after midnight and found we'd been upgraded to savannah. So, no, I didn't ask.

I used a TA once and the rest of our trips I have booked myself through CRO. No automatic upgrades and the one time I asked it became a nightmare so I won't ever ask again. Honestly, if I get any of my location requests for the room type I've paid for I feel ahead of the game. I don't think we've had much pixie dust and that is all it is, pixie dust!

I don't think it has anything to do with who you booked with. Like another poster said it depends on several factors like which types of room are overbooked etc...

I do think that you have a better chance of getting upgraded (or getting a better room in the category you paid for) if you check in early.
We were upgraded from Standard to Concierge at BWI and checked in around 2pm, then upgraded from Standard to Woods View (with a view of the fireworks!) at WL when I checked in around 1pm.
And I don't know if we were upgraded at the BC or not, but we had an amazing view from our room while we had booked a standard.

On the other hand, when we checked in AKL after 10pm not only were we not upgraded, but we were given what had to be the worst room in the place, complete with rain gutter view and handicap-accessible bathroom.

I always book directly with Disney, and I seem to get the worst everytime. At check-in, the CMs take one look at me, and think "there's the perfect person for that farthest room in the farthest corner in the farthest reaches of the resort, with that parking lot and dumpster view!". :teeth:

Like jenjersnap said, I only expect what I booked, and usually expect the worst room in that category. :sad: I can't even get requests, let alone upgrades. I think a lot of it has to do with the simple fact that I am able-bodied and travel solo (no kids, no strollers, etc), so there is no need for a CM to put in effort to give me a closer/better room.. The only time I was ever upgraded was at AKL from standard to pool view, and this is over 23 trips. What a batting average there!

Nowadays, I decided I have to pay for the best room categories, just to avoid the boonies and the dumpster! :blush:

been to the world 20 trips, I am 43. DD5 and I have been 10 times in ten years and have never ever gotten an upgrade of any sort, we just keep wishing!:woohoo: :yay: :flower3:

I have booked through a TA, Travelocity and Expedia...no upgrades to speak of though.

I have to agree about the "randomness" of upgrades.

We were upgraded twice last year (only two times ever, btw). The first we booked through CRO at the CR - MK view. We were upgraded to the 10th floor concierge and still got the MK view. Boy were we psyched!!

Decided to take a spur of the moment trip to WL for DD's birthday in July. Couldn't get anything except through Travelocity. Got a rock-bottom rate, but all they had was standard view. When we arrived I was shocked that we had been upgraded to courtyard view - especially at the price we paid.

6 times in a disney resort, booked directly through the disney, never had an upgrade, only once had my requests fulfilled.:confused3

Soooooooooooo, back to my original question... it sounds like nobody ask's for an upgrade, just wait to see if it happens?

Just back on Sunday. Booked a room only for one night through Dreams Unlimited for AS Sports with AAA, booked standard, I think we had preferred room location, Touchdown, Bldg closest to the food court and main bldg. Moved over to YC on Wed. morning, booked standard room package with the code for free hopping and water parks and DQ. Again booked through Dreams Unlimited. Approached at check in that we were upgraded to Concierge for our entire stay. I have booked through Dreams, booked through Disney, used various codes and discounts (AP holder, GA resident). Been upgraded several times. I think it's luck of the draw. :)

Touchdown is not preferred and hoping ASsports keeps that way. I hate the way Movies and Pop have taken some standard rooms and made them "Preferred". When I booked preferred at ASMo and was given the Toy Story bldg I asked to be downgraded. If I book prefer I expect the bldgs right by the pool.

As for being upgraded at AKL when booking a standard view, its typical to be upgraded. When I first made the decision to stay at AKL, I research on here as much as possible for great rooms and I learned to book Standard because more times than not you will be upgraded. I was upgraded to pool view and it was the closest room to the pool, video arcade, and Mara's. I'd pay extra for that room again. I've also been upgraded at WL from standard to woods view and courtyard view. Even asked if I wanted concierge for an extra $70 a night. I only paid $113 a night to begin with and thought when am I ever going to get Concierge for $183 a night again. We took it and loved the view.

If upgrades happen they are wonderful but don't count on them, it could ruin a trip. Plus if you are ever unhappy with your room call the front desk and let them know. When staying at ASMu we were in Country 3rd floor 2nd room from the very back of the property. Walk out the door and pass the last room and all you see is swamplands. When checking in I was told it was the only room available (cheerleading week). I called the front desk and was moved to Jazz 1st floor facing the courtyard. Only bad thing was being woken up to cheerleaders practicing. As you can see I either go Value or Deluxe.

I believe completely that it is the "Luck of the Draw". I do not think it has anything to booking directly with Disney vs. a TA etc. We have been over 20 times and we have been upgraded once. We always check in around noonish. We have booked directly, with a TA, room only and packages. Nothing seems to matter.
However, we always book the category room we will be happy in, so no big deal. If I went expecting and upgrade I didn't get, that would be foolish.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter