Room Service - Is it good?

Sunshine2U

Disney Nana
For those who order room service for a meal, why do you choose that over a trip to Cabana's (or comparable on other ships) restaurant? A lot of people post about getting room service. We've never ordered. We keep looking at the menu and really don't see anything we would consider a preferable meal option to what is in Cabanas, much less MDR. Breakfast is all about pastries and rolls - if they are like what's in Cabanas breakfast buffet then I can take it or leave it. On the main menu, there are some things I would order but nothing I would consider special. Same with the cookies - I don't consider any of the cookies "special". Are room service cookies different? I'm more of a protein and vegetable girl - maybe that's the difference. And yes, the cheese tray looks good!

think mickey bars.....num num num. other than in the mdr's its the only place to get it.
I wouldn't say the food is as good as or better than meals else where however I would say when its 11 in the evening and we are watching a movie in our stateroom, its sometimes nice to get a burger and fries to share.

On our Fantasy cruise in 2012 the wife and I (maybe just me) would order a Mickey bar every night before bed. We also ordered chicken fingers and fries one night which were good.

We didn't order meals during the day, but my kids loved coming back to the cabin after kids' club at midnight, ordering room service, and watching a movie LOL. Keep in mind that we stayed on West coast time the whole trip, so midnight was only 9pm to us, plus we are a night owl family anyways. We (well, the boys mostly) enjoyed everything they ordered. I know they tried a sandwich, a burger with fries, mickey bars, different cookies with milk, etc. We wanted to try the All Hands on Deck cheese tray before dinner one night, but we were just too full from eating all week ;)

Another vote for the cheese plate. Great snack. I can see bringing on a couple of six packs (Pepsi) for afternoon on the verandah on my PC Repo and the cheese plate. One for me, one for my roomie. I don't share well. :laughing: At least not cheese.

Thg e couple of times I ordered room service on the Magic it was because I had returned from an excursion and was hungry but the buffet was closed and all there was was the grab and go but I felt like more than that. One time i tipped a couple bucks in cash another i added a tip to the receipt because I had no ones on me.

I think there's probably a whole science to the room service thing. Since it's free, you don't want it to be so special that lots of people start opting for room service rather than MDR. At the same time you want to give guests enough of a menu that you keep people happy. We are early to bed, early to rise. On the last cruise I would go up and get pizza or chicken fingers for the bottomless pit 5-yr-old nephew after the show while DH got him ready for bed. Then it was lights out for all of us. So that was just my choice because I could have it back to the cabin within 5 minutes. I can see others choosing room service. Or when you are single adult with kids. There's a reason for sure.

We like the cheese platter. Also handy to get wine glasses if they are already bringing something.
We did not like the pizza or the cookies, very hard. Also got juice but tasted weird to me.

We like the mac and cheese, buffalo wings, and the cheese plate in particular. We like being able to eat late at night and watch movies. :thumbsup2

We ( twin sis and. I) ordered chicken fingers and steak and cheese sandwiches after coming back from an DCL excursion.

We were there on a Sunday and after doing our excursion , we were pushing for time to go shopping and eat before the ship left.

Thus, it was a matter of convenience for us.

We always order something every cruise and have never been disappointed. Everything was still hot and seemed freshly made. Cabanas is table service in the evenings so it's not so easy to just go and grab something.

it's junk food, it's nothing super exciting? my husband really likes the chicken wings (or fingers? i don't know, i don't eat meat) and i have to say i like the french fries. the breakfast offerings aren't better than the MDRs/cabanas obviously. it's just "fun" i think people thik. :goodvibes

Our family tradition now is to order room service for 6:30am and get coffee, juice, danish, fruit bowl and Crispy Creams for DD.

The wife and I sit on Veranda and enjoy quite time while DD watch's Disney classics.

Even Alaska when it was 40 deg.'s!

Just grab some deck blankets the first day.

Then get ready and check out the buffet for some real choices. lol

Now that's a VACATION!

My husband and teen order a carafe of coffee for two every night around 10-11 and keep it for the morning (still a drinkable temp if you don't open it) we've gotten the cheese plate as a snack before- I could swear there was a fruit plate our first cruise but don't remember seeing it this time. (Do they have different books for summer v winter cruises?) My husband and kids have also ordered lunch when we've come back to exhausted to deal with deck 11 from a day on an island but it wasn't close enough to dinner to wait.

we had bad weather on our cruise so the two times we tried to do room service we were told it would be a 40 minute or more wait. We were on Deck 10 of the Dream so I just walked upstairs and was back to the room in less than 10 minutes. I want to try it, just because it was included but i was not going to wait that long. I hope it was just the weather and more people in their rooms rather than how slow the service usually is.

There is nothing better than being woke up with someone bringing you Krispy Kreme donuts.

And, there is nothing better than going to bed and having someone bring you Mickey Bars.

:cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9:

I ordered mickey bars every day. That was my afternoon treat out in the lounger on our verandah. A few times I woke up ridiculously early and breakfast doesn't start until 7 so I got a BLT and muffins to share but we didn't like them much and ate a full breakfast once the buffet opened up.

We order breakfast if we have an early port excursion.
My son loves a pile of wings in the afternoon before the early show/late dinner and we have been known to order Mickey bars at midnight plenty of times!
I agree that the menu isn't anything fabulous and I wouldn't substitute a MDR for it but it's "fun" for my kids and they like ordering when the mood strikes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter