Room safes

They are the lock-and-key type. We've never had a problem using them, and we always use safes at resorts, no matter where we go!

We've always used the safes at WDW with no problems. And I have never seen a report on the DIS regarding a safe being broken into. Interesting that (At least here on the DisBoards) none of the reports of thefts while visiting WDW involve room safes.

I have seen reports of room safes being accessed and the contents taken (yes, it was a Disney resort). Only a couple of incidents that I can recall, a few years back.

Anything truly irreplaceable, I would not put in any hotel room safe. If you're wanting to store cash in the safe, it's a much better idea to give it to the front desk and let them put it on your account. You can charge purchases against it, and retrieve any remaining cash when you check out.

I have used the room safe on every trip and have never had any problem whatsoever.

Room safes either have a key, or a keypad (like at the CR), where you choose your own numerical code.
Unless you leave the safe open or leave the key where anyone can see it, then there are only 2 possibilities for loss.
If you keep the safe locked, then someone would have to break into your room and somehow get the safe open, or a mousekeeper would have to be an expert "safe cracker".
In my opinion both are unlikely scenarios.

They are small. I wish they were slightly bigger. I bring my work laptop and would prefer to have it locked up when not in use. Often it fits into hotel safe, I do not think I have ever had that luck with any of the Disney hotels.

They are the lock-and-key type. We've never had a problem using them, and we always use safes at resorts, no matter where we go!
Not all the resorts have the lock and key safes anymore. The Contemporary and Polynesian now have safes which open with a 4 digit combination that you can choose.

Have always used safe in room for cash, cards, passport, etc not had a problem only comment they are a bit too small for everything....

We've always used the safes at WDW with no problems. And I have never seen a report on the DIS regarding a safe being broken into. Interesting that (At least here on the DisBoards) none of the reports of thefts while visiting WDW involve room safes.

Just got back from POR (and also always use them when visiting WDW) and felt perfectly fine using the safe.

I agree that they're slightly on the small side... don't plan to store anything too big (like a laptop, for example).

Daghter's Ipad fit fine in WL. One time my daugter loaded it into the safe. When I opened it later, it almost fell out. The safe we had was at eye level so it would not have been a good thing.

You can also buy a laptop lock and lock it to something. I have locked my netbook up to the desk in the Beach Club. Luggage rack is another place to lock it to something.
I have also locked it to my suitcase or locked it in my suitcase.

I have a TSA approved lock for my suitcase. If our room isn't ready, then anything of value goes in that suitcase and it is locked before it is left with bell services.
No security measure is totally fool proof, its more like making deterrents.

I think it would be noticed if someone was walking around with a suitcase with a netbook attached to it. :laughing:

Will a 17 inch laptop fit in the safe at POR?

No. They are very shallow as well.

Do any of the resorts have safe deposit boxes? I've utilized the safe deposit boxes at hotels to store things while on business travel, and have had good experiences. Typically, the rooms are locked and only management has a key, and there is usually surveillance cameras in and around the room. You receive a key to the box, and the management must put their master key in with yours to open it. If the room safe looks sketchy, I like to use the safe deposit boxes so liability will then be transferred to the hotel if something gets stolen.

Another thing I have done is brought luggage locks and locked things like my cell phone and camera in there, and put my luggage under the bed. Of course if someone really wanted to, they could just take my suitcase, but it's enough of a deterrent and my luggage is out of plain sight. Also FWIW - the luggage locks have to either be TSA approved or removed before you can use them on a flight :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter