Room Ready System!!!!!!

Daitcher said:
Good points here and not all that hard to solve. The only time that there aren't any rooms ready is very early in the a.m. There could be times when nothing is available in the type of room you've booked. At that time they could do what they do now and "check you into a room" that is being cleaned and not yet ready or give you the option of coming back later. If "checked in" you would have to call back later to find out your room number or stop at the desk to find out. These instances would be few and far between, however. They use a form of room ready now and this seldom occurs. Not only are there available rooms every day that were unoccupied the day before,housekeeping is adding to the available inventory after each room is cleaned. There still would be the advertised 4:00 check in time also.

DAVE

The last time I stayed at VWL we arrived at 3:50 pm and our room wasn't ready until 4:45 pm. I asked if they had any studio's available and I was told no. So the 4 pm time isn't always true and having rooms available just about any time is true either.

I think just going with request are requests and thats that, works.

jarestel said:
Interesting thoughts, Dave. I think the room assignment procedure, be it room ready or pre-assigned, is probably the number one source of complaints from DVC members and is likely the number one source of headaches for CMs. It seems obvious that improvements are sorely needed and I commend you for giving this thorny issue some serious thought.

I guess I'd modify your plan slightly to create a system where "owners" requests are filled first ( pre-assigned, if you will - smoking preference, HA preference, and view preference ) and non-owners at a resort are then assigned rooms from the leftover inventory ( room ready ). I do absolutely agree that DVC policy should be a little more strict when it comes to moving guests simply for reasons of view. Take what's available now or come back at 4:00 PM and take your chances then would be agreeable to me.

Since the "owners" of a certain resort would always be taken care of first, it would only be the owners from other DVC resorts who would be running the risk of not getting their preferences met. This should cut down on the whining quotient significantly. If I, as a VWL owner, was staying at OKW, I could certainly live with the room assignment I received since I don't own there. Because I would know that when I stayed at VWL, DVC would make it up to me.

This is certainly a good idea. I thought I had heard at one point that once a ressie is made there is no way to determine where the points came from. Is this true? :confused3 If it is then it would be impossible to implement. It still wouldn't eliminate complaints either because all owners couldn't get there requests met. I can hear the complaints now. This would also add to the "I'm an owner" complaint I hear so often. Just brainstorming out here and your idea is worth exploring. Something needs to be done and I'm convinced there is a better system out there.

DAVE

What you described is exactly how the "room ready" system was originally laid out, I think 3 years ago. There must be a reason they are not following it all the time.

As a result of the discussions around it when it was first announced, the boardwalk view was born, which I was happy about.

Daitcher said:
For starters all requests except NS and HA (handicap) be eliminated. No more Epcot views requested or pool views, etc.

Amen to that. I think most people whose view requests aren't honored take it in stride. However, as we've seen on these boards, some are disappointed, and a few take it as an opportunity to start complaining. Besides being completely unjustified, those complaints make us all look bad. With no view requests, people will expect the worst and can only be pleasantly surprised.

(One addendum to what you said: Besides NS and HA requests, I'd allow people to request dedicated two bedroom versus lockoffs and that kind of thing. The big thing to stop is the view requests.)

TCPluto said:
CarolMN, my new hero! I agree with everything you've written.

Members have written that they would absolutely refuse an assignment to particular building if given to them at check in. I would hate to be around the front desk at that time, especially behind that member waiting for my room.

You guys are missing the basis of my program. Members wouldn't be put anywhere like they are now with assigned rooms. They would have a choice of clean rooms with an option to come back throughout the day if they don't like the original choices. I really think people have better things to do with there vacation time than to sit in the lobby waiting to check if a good room opens up. I refuse to believe people are that picky. The vast majority of DVC owners are great, some of the nicest people you'd meet and just happy to be at WDW. I'm sure they would be off exploring, in the parks, dining, whatever and come back when it is convenient to them. Aslo they use room ready sometimes now and there isn't a problem with lines. The only difference is my program follows room ready as it is intended. CM's would not fold to any whining and complaining. Thanks for the thoughts. I'm sure the DIS members could as a group come up with an exceptable solution to this dilema. Makes you wonder why DVC can't or won't? :confused:

DAVE

CarolMN said:
FWIW, I think all DVC members just need to take whatever they get when their requests aren't met and quit whining. That would include getting a HA room when you didn't want one. (Someone has to take those rooms). CMs need to quit responding to the whiners.

I personally would be OK with totally eliminating requests altogether as long as smoking/non-smoking could be guaranteed. Of course, I would expect Disney to follow ADA requirements.

Best wishes -

I'm on board with all of this just not the long line thing. We can only hope DVC is listening. Based on the posts here it sure is a sore subject and makes us look bad as a group.

DAVE

I think the idea is great.......I personally have had the "tired kid (gs) who needed a nap" when we got to BWV about 3:30 p.m. on New Years Day 2005.
It was 5:00 p.m. before we got our room (2 bedroom). I'm quite sure everything was slowed down that day just because it was NYD and people were late checking out. It would have been great to have a choice of "any" 2 bedroom that was available, but, "our" room wasn't. I also like the idea of allowing owners their preferences first if it could be done. We own at VWL and I prefer to have a wooded view there facing the lake just because it's so peaceful. As far as anywhere else, my only requests ever have been non-smoking and anything but first floor. Anything else is just fine with me......I would love to be able to get right into a room, no matter the view.

The truth is that either a request or room ready system will work well if implemented and used appropriately. The problem is that DVC has essentially given up trying to do either in a meaningful way. Regardless, the DVC resorts should order unit assignment priorities for owners at that resort, other DVC owners, cash through CRO then exchangers. I'm sure we all realize that a system where you can book 1 or 10 days will be difficult to run and make everyone happy but I'd at least like to see an effort.

buckylarue said:
Personally, I'd rather see a more strict adherance to the 'check-in time is 4PM' policy. If the room you are assigned happens to be ready earlier, fine, but I see no reason why anyone arriving earlier than the plainly stated check-in time has any reason to whine, cajole, coerce the CMs into giving them someone else's assigned room just because their flight got in earlier!
I totally agree! I also agree with Dave that all requests except NS and HA should be eliminated.

Sorry, I totally disagree.
If I make my ressies at the 11 month window and they tell me it is available, then book my room! If it is not available tell me right then. I will choose a different week. Give me my building # and room assignment! First come first serve. Don't give my room to someone else because they arrived earlier. This way we KNOW before we even get there. If the room isn't clean yet, I drop off my bags and off I go, but I KNOW where I will be staying. The people who call and make ressies will also know what is available and can take it or chose a different week or place. And if I make a last minute ressie I know I have to take what I get end of story! Put the ressies in the computer and make them real!!!

Candy, when you book your room, there is no room # automatically assigned. It is my understanding that a week or so before you arrive, the room assigner tries tries to meet your requests as close as possible. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.)

So what happens if the room you requested is in use (and maybe has been for the last week) and won't be available until the next day? Do you expect to be moved the next day to the room number you requested?

I don't know if there is any way to resolve this. Maybe in BIG PRINT on the confirms "A REQUEST IS A REQUEST AND IS NOT GUARANTEED!" Or, maybe we sign a waiver that is returned to DVC acknowledging the fact that nothing is guaranteed (except for NS and HA). I, too, don't get hung up on views or buildings. It's nice if we are close to Hospitality House at OKW but it's not the end of the world if we're not.

Cyn

I don't think it will matter what happens. If we stay with the current system there will be complainers. If you change it, there will be complainers.

Personally I like a view. We spent quite a bit of time enjoying our DTD view last trip and would like to have it again. Would I moan and groan if we didn't get it when we arrived? No, but I would like to be able to request it to have more of a chance of getting it.

I think to make room assignments 11 months out is impossible to manage. I like the first come first served it is the only way to be completely fair. Of course they must have far more requests than they can fill so first come first served at check in seems like the only fair way IMO.

Again I think to just ramdomly assign room locations to people who could care less where they stay is not practicle. There are those who use the room alot and those who don't. It is all a matter of preference.

For example we stay in studio since we eat out alot, others prefer a 1 br for the kitchen. Since I don't cook on vacation we don't need the full kitchen. Same thing with a view. We like to spend time at night on the balcony. For us looking at DTD is more enjoyable than looking at another building or trees. For those who stay out late and just use the room to sleep why should they be randomly assigned a view if they will not use it or care to have it. It's just wasteful when there are those that would enjoy it.

We also don't need to be by the main pool. We like to walk. Why should we "waste" a room close to the theme pool when a mom with tiny ones would appreciate it better?

I could go on and on....I think requests are fine and the system works the way it is. First come first served is fair IMO.

Tinky said:
... I guess in the scheme of things is it really that big a deal if you used standard room points and get a parking lot view?
If you get anything besides a parking lot view at BWV with standard points you should be thankful. We got the TOT/duck pond view once and it was wonderful - all on standard view points.

I guess I dont understand all the hubba over room view... I mean its not like I have to look at Pop Century :rolleyes:
Thank goodness to that - the reason we purchased DVC to start with!

I agree! On our most recent trip to SSR we were shown what was assigned to us when ME "checked us in." at 9:40 a.m. If we didn't like the room, we were given the option to wait for a certain room that met our location request but was still occupied. We took the room that was ready and loved the area. I didn't even read all these pages, because I'm guessing the post is making a lot of people mad. I can't believe all the posting about what room to request--not location--room. Wow. I think that's just setting yourself up for disappointment. :scared:

3DisneyNUTS said:
I think to make room assignments 11 months out is impossible to manage. I like the first come first served it is the only way to be completely fair. Of course they must have far more requests than they can fill so first come first served at check in seems like the only fair way IMO.

Again I think to just ramdomly assign room locations to people who could care less where they stay is not practicle. There are those who use the room alot and those who don't. It is all a matter of preference.

For example we stay in studio since we eat out alot, others prefer a 1 br for the kitchen. Since I don't cook on vacation we don't need the full kitchen. Same thing with a view. We like to spend time at night on the balcony. For us looking at DTD is more enjoyable than looking at another building or trees. For those who stay out late and just use the room to sleep why should they be randomly assigned a view if they will not use it or care to have it. It's just wasteful when there are those that would enjoy it.

We also don't need to be by the main pool. We like to walk. Why should we "waste" a room close to the theme pool when a mom with tiny ones would appreciate it better?

I could go on and on....I think requests are fine and the system works the way it is. First come first served is fair IMO.

The first come first served appears to penalize those who arrive late in the day. I don't want to have to stay off site the first night to be able to get to the resort earlier than my flight allowed. Or have to take a 5am flight either.
I also feel that there should be some benefit for owners booking at 11 months. Right now you are only sure you'll have a room. Someone who books the month before and arrives at the front desk before you gets to choose a room ahead of the owner!?

We sold our DVC at BCV due to the "Room Ready" Policy. I think "Room Ready" should be a request, if you don't care where your room is and want to get into it with little wait, then you request "Room Ready".

We have always understood that requests are requests and didn't have any problems our first few years of ownership, but since "Room Ready" has been in use and we don't arrive until after 3pm we NEVER got our requests met.

We go to Disney to relax, we spend little time in the parks now anyway. Our room location, more importantly the view, plays a big part in our vacation and is very important to us. It's just not right that I make my reservations 11 months out and someone can show up at 9am and get the room I was assigned because of "Room Ready". If the room you were assigned, or one like it is not ready at 9am then it's too bad, the check-in isn't until 4pm. We abided by the rules in the contract we signed 5 years ago (before the "Room Ready" policy changed things), made our reservations 11 months out and did not expect to be in our room until 4 pm (sometimes later) as per the contract. All I wanted was to get an N/S, upper floor, Epcot view room. That's not too specific and should be easy to assign, especially since most people don't like the road noise on that side of the building. So why over the last 2 years did we always get stuck with a 1st floor pool side room? Because some whiner checking in at 9am couldn't wait and had to have MY room "NOW". DVC should have stuck with AND ENFORCED, the 4 pm check-in to begin with. Before we sold our BCV we were going to purchase points at SSR but decided to spend our vacation money differently. We still Love Disney and will miss BCV, but the "Room Ready" policy made requests pretty much void for those checking in later and ruined DVC for us.

Figment2 said:
Candy, when you book your room, there is no room # automatically assigned. It is my understanding that a week or so before you arrive, the room assigner tries tries to meet your requests as close as possible. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.)

So what happens if the room you requested is in use (and maybe has been for the last week) and won't be available until the next day? Do you expect to be moved the next day to the room number you requested?

I don't know if there is any way to resolve this. Maybe in BIG PRINT on the confirms "A REQUEST IS A REQUEST AND IS NOT GUARANTEED!" Or, maybe we sign a waiver that is returned to DVC acknowledging the fact that nothing is guaranteed (except for NS and HA). I, too, don't get hung up on views or buildings. It's nice if we are close to Hospitality House at OKW but it's not the end of the world if we're not.

Cyn

Thanks for your reply. Please help me understand this better.
When we call 11 months out and make one request only (smoking room) and they tell me it IS available why is it that when we get there we always get a NS room??? I realize that 90% of the rooms are NS. That is why we only make ONE request. If it is NOT available I would request a different week. I will not smoke IN a NS room, but we will smoke on the patio. It is very frustrating to us. We try to be considerate yet the members that don't smoke are very vocal. And NO, I do NOT want a HA room. EVER!! They are for people who need them. If Disney has left over HA rooms in their inventory then they should have to ask if you are willing to take one or take it as a loss themsleves. Not telling you that because you arrived last that's what is left. This thing of giving the rooms to whomever arrives first, at the crack of dawn promotes the too early arrivals and the long ugly lines! The CM deserve better than this! They didn't make the room ressie, yet we too have heard members forget their manners. In this time of computer wonders I can hardly believe that a week by week hold on rooms is not a possiblity.
Sorry if this seems so long. Just can't understand how it is that you can't reserve a room and it be what you committed to. Thanks!

Here's a problem with the system that I actually encountered. I arrive at OKW 5:00 pm with my 80 year old mother who has a heart condition. I requested 11 months out non smoking, first floor and as close to a bus stop as possible,for medical reasons When I check in I am told that they forgot to block the room as medically challanged and all they have left is a third floor smoking room. Do you really mean to say that I should accept this and risk my mother's health? I spent 20 minutes calmly explaining that this was not acceptable. Although I was repeatedly told there is nothing else available, 2 trips to the back room did come up with a first floor nonsmoking room. A strict room ready just doesn't always work. I say first booked, first requests met. I guess I was spoiled way back when we could sign in over the phone 24 hours aheadand just pick up the paperwork when we arrived.

One thing that might help somewhat is for them to quit putting the phrase "GTD" next to a specific request on the confirmation. If a request is only a request and not guaranteed then don't say I have a guaranteed N/S room. Luckily, we did get a N/S room but if we hadn't you better bet I would have had an issue with it, specifically because the confirmation said "GTD N/S". They do this with CRO ressies too, "GTD adjoining" "GTD connecting", etc. What exactly are they guaranteeing? That they will be really sorry if they don't fulfill the request? :confused3

And if GTD means something other than guaranteed then they really should come up with a different acronym, LOL.

Personally, I am fine with the current system. I have no other pertinent requests than N/S. I may request a certain view, but I am by no means attached to it. I can't believe how some people get so irate over this, I'm of the opinion that I'm in WDW and that sure beats all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter