• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Room Number Recommendation for HoJo

Bugdozer

<font color=royal blue>One day at a time.<br>Yeste
Hi,

Well the day is quickly approaching. 27 days and counting. For those of you that have stayed at the Hojo I have a question. We booked a Disney View room in building 1 the NQQ1. For those that have stayed there what do you recommend? Should we ask for top floor? Any room number you would highly recommend? I am very excited about this trip as we are celebrating my 16 yo being cancer free for 2 years now! I want him to have a view of the park from our window. Let me know what you think,

Thanks,
Bug

any room on the 7th floor usely I dont know the room number it might be in my mini trip report from last year it was perfect for fireworks an stuff i think 707 maybe or 710

7th floor; closer to the middle of the building. Too far to the right is not good. I was in 1615 IIRC, and it only had 1 sink inside the bathroom and the view was hindered by the trees. I had to crane my neck and camera around it to get a good view. They offered to move us the next day, but by then we had moved in and I got sick and just wasn't up to wasting any energy by repacking and moving. I've never stayed on the far left (when facing DLR) but I would imagine, it would be similar. Maybe if you call them and tell them your reason for wanting a room with a great view they will help to accommodate you. Here's the view I had in 1615.
This one is zoomed out to 75mm:
474699658_fZAts-L.jpg

This was zoomed out to 135mm:
474699664_9Ftfd-L.jpg

I couldn't avoid the trees in that one above. The view wasn't great...
This was was zoomed out to 135mm:
474699669_QG26S-L.jpg

As you can see no matter how much I zoomed you could still see the trees in that room. I've usually stayed closer to the middle of the building and the view was much better. Stay on the 7th floor. It has a much better view than the 6th floor.

Here's my view from the7th floor in the middle of the building circa 2004. Again, it's zoomed out to get past the trees but at least I didn't have to crane my neck, etc. It's a straight shot.
Hojos7thfloorviewcirca2003.jpg

We stayed in room 1713 last October, and loved it. I specifically requested a room without much tree blockage and they kindly gave us this wonderful view:

101_2540-1.jpg

The Matterhorn looks washed out in this pic, but we would have had a perfect view of the fireworks if they'd been running during the weekdays. We could see Space Mountain, too.

Here's a video:

The only problem you might have is if you are sensitive to early morning light coming in from the skylights. Since we were there in the fall, it got light around 7 a.m., and that was fine. If it's much earlier in the summer, it might bother you, it might not. We liked the extra light from the skylights.

I am not a fan of the top floor rooms in building 1 (the 7th floor) because of the side-light windows. There's no way to darken the rooms for sleeping, so you're up at the crack of dawn with the sunrise. Even the HOJO property lights and the street lights from Harbor Blvd keep the rooms a bit lit up all night.

Also, because there's two side-light windows in each room (one facing Harbor/Disneyland side, and the other facing the highway side) you can hear the hum of traffic as it goes by. The side-lights don't seem to block out the traffic noise as much as the regular room windows. Maybe because they're not double pane windows? :confused3

This is just me though. I know there are others that LOVE the top floor rooms with the cathedral ceilings and side-lights. But we always ask for a room on the sixth floor, center of the building.:thumbsup2

The only problem you might have is if you are sensitive to early morning light coming in from the skylights. Since we were there in the fall, it got light around 7 a.m., and that was fine. If it's much earlier in the summer, it might bother you, it might not. We liked the extra light from the skylights.

I like the 7th floor because of the skylight windows too. It forces you to get up. I was still able to sleep in though if I was tired enough. If I was really tired, I would just cover my eyes with a shirt or blanket and go back to sleep! :laughing: The skylight is an advantage to me -- I can tend to be lazy and want to sleep in when on vacation!:rolleyes1

We didn't have any noise issues. In the morning, during rush hour, I could discern a far-away rumble of rush hour, but the room is so well-insulated that I could also count DD13's breaths as she slept. It seemed very quiet to me.

The other thing I like about top floor: nobody pounding around overhead. I always seem to be in rooms with small children who need to RUN around their rooms until midnight, and apparently they're wearing shoes with cement in the heels. :rotfl:

It's too bad that they simply can't hire tree trimmers to trim down the branches. Then it would be more or less a non-issue. Avalon, I agree about the people running around with shoes on!:lmao: That's another reason to love the 7th floor.

It's too bad that they simply can't hire tree trimmers to trim down the branches. Then it would be more or less a non-issue.

From what I've read, they've talked about trimming the trees, but the owners planted those trees decades ago and have an emotional attachment to them. They're having a hard time with the idea of trimming. Honestly, it's nice to see a business owner so sentimental. We've reserved a premium room for June and I requested top floor, but I'm not concerned about the view. If we have to look around trees, I'll be fine with it. I really want the big ceilings and light coming into the room. I get depressed if I don't have a lot of natural light.

From what I've read, they've talked about trimming the trees, but the owners planted those trees decades ago and have an emotional attachment to them. They're having a hard time with the idea of trimming. Honestly, it's nice to see a business owner so sentimental. We've reserved a premium room for June and I requested top floor, but I'm not concerned about the view. If we have to look around trees, I'll be fine with it. I really want the big ceilings and light coming into the room. I get depressed if I don't have a lot of natural light.
I heard from Lorealle they had actually discussed cutting down the trees, but the owner planted them with his dad back in the day, so that's why they're keeping them. Trees are a good thing for the environment (and Lord knows they need all the help they can get in the Anaheim/O.C./L.A. area w/ all that smog); and they are pretty to look at from the outside looking towards the buildings. However, it wouldn't hurt to trim back the branches a bit, imo. In the first 3 pictures I posted above, the tree was right smack dab in the middle of our balcony! :scared1: I literally was bending over and around the trees to try to get a photo of my DL view. Luckily, we hardly look at the view too, so it wasn't that big of an issue. (I honestly like Bld 1 because it's that much closer to DL and less of a walk then any other building!:lmao:)
I just think, maybe they should have some of the rooms coded as an 'obstructed' Disney view and charge a cheaper rate or something! :laughing: If you're a first timer and you got all excited thinking you're going to get a wonderful Disney view and then you get a room like the one I was in, there is a great potential for some disappointment. Seriously, the pictures from my 3rd floor bld 1 stay are even worse. I didn't post it, but I had a nice view of the front desk roof, in between the tree branches, and could barely see the tip of the Matterhorn -- while looking up from the balcony.:scared: I didn't pay for that stay and the people I was with wanted to be on a low floor, so that's why we were on the 3rd floor. But I often wonder if they are now selling those rooms as DL view rooms too. :eek:
ETA: Don't get me wrong, we always stay at Hojo and like it there. I just think the trees could use a bit of trimming back to preserve the view...

We are in rm 1411 right now and the view is pretty similar to Avalon's from 1713, just lower down. No tree obstruction really - can see Matterhorn clearly and a good view of the fireworks.

Thanks everyone! Sending my request off tonight.

Bug

I do like the story behind the trees but perhaps they could be moved? I know it'd cost a lot but I think it's rough when you advertise a disney view but it should read "partial disney view through branches". And for the amount extra they charge it'd be nice to have less tree in the foreground. :)

Reviving a dead post here, but I have to ask. Avalon451 was that room on the top floor? (1713) Thanks!

IT'S ALIIIIIIIIIIIVVVVE! Muahhahahahaha! (Sorry. Just my reaction to "reviving a dead post" :rotfl:)

Yep, 1713 was top floor of building 1, NQQ1. It had the additional vanity, mirror and second sink outside the bathroom, which was nice for us two girls.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter