Room Key?

Every shop in the 4 parks accepts you're KTTW card as a way to pay for merchandice. I think the only places that don't accept them are the food carts where you purchase bottles of soda, water and Ice Cream.

Yes, if you are staying at a Disney resort, you can definitely use your room key to make purchases at WDW. You have two options:

1. You can "connect" your room key to a credit card so that all of your purchases go on that credit card.

2. Or, you can put down a cash balance at the front desk and all of your purchases will be deducted from your cash balance.

At any point, you can go to the front desk and request a list of charges so that you can keep track of what you're spending.

I hope that's helpful. :)

Yup! you can use the card throughout the park for everything. We were even able to use it to buy waters and smaller food items at the food carts througout the parks. Last year at the F&W festival we were able to use it at all those vending carts as well so no need to bring cash for that event either.

This past may i even lost my key to the world card on the dinosaur:scared1: ride!!! No worries there either I called and canceled it from the nearest phone i could find without a problem 2.

enjoy!!!!

Yup! you can use the card throughout the park for everything. We were even able to use it to buy waters and smaller food items at the food carts througout the parks.
I guess WDW has changed the rules when it comes to using them there, because the last time I remember this question being asked someone said they could not be used there.

There are counter service restaurants at the water parks that do not accept the room ID or DDP.

I guess WDW has changed the rules when it comes to using them there, because the last time I remember this question being asked someone said they could not be used there.

Since at least May 2005 (my first experience in the 21st century), all of the standard snack/popcorn/drink carts in all 4 parks were set up to accept room charges as well as credit cards (same machine, same technology). If you are in a theme park or resort, you can use your room charge at those carts, as well as, of course, ALL restaurants, shops, etc. I can't comment on the water parks, as I have no first-hand info, and frankly I've never paid attention to threads about them, so I haven't picked up any other info while hanging out here at the DIS.

The only places you CAN'T use a room charge within the theme parks and resorts are: roving vendors, like the CMs who walk in front of and behind the parades); some of the set-ups at the Food and Wine Festival, and other such things that are outside individuals rather than WDW vendors.

Also, beware of Downtown Disney. Many places take room charge, and many don't. The obvious "Disney" shops take room charge, but don't automatically assume the others do -- ask before you buy.

When we were there this past May and the previous Oct (07) we were able to use the card to get waters and stuff at all the smaller vending carts it was never a problem.

The only thing I remember paying cash for was a balloon from the guy at the MK.

We loved the room key! So nice to not have to bring too much cash or credit cards with us! Used it everywhere except when we bought one of the spray fan things at a vendor!

When we were there this past May and the previous Oct (07) we were able to use the card to get waters and stuff at all the smaller vending carts it was never a problem.

The only thing I remember paying cash for was a balloon from the guy at the MK.

I was just going to say the same thing. Most of the carts now take the card as well, but the balloon guys and the sparkling light guys at night only take cash. So, we always had about $50 in cash on us just in case.

Also, beware of Downtown Disney. Many places take room charge, and many don't. The obvious "Disney" shops take room charge, but don't automatically assume the others do -- ask before you buy.
I would assume the Character Connection store in West Side let's you use you're KTTW card, however I am not sure if any of the others stores do. I know Magnetron does not because I once asked them. I remember a few years ago the Planet Hollywood store accept them, however since we have not bought anything there in a long time things may have changed.

Some of the outside merchandise vendors in Epcot's World Showcase don't take them either. I remember in particular a vendor outside Japan that didn't take it. Apparently, the cart was rented out and not run by Disney.

You can't use the KTTW card at the doughnut cart at Typhoon Lagoon. (Not sure why because they took credit cards. :confused3 ) I only took my KTTW card on my snack trip and had to walk back to our chairs on the other side of the park and get my cash - and I had a blister on the bottom of my foot so I remember every sand-filled step. :guilty:

Do you have to use your credit card to pay for it when you leave or can you hold it with credit card and then when you leave pay the bill in cash?

Do you have to use your credit card to pay for it when you leave or can you hold it with credit card and then when you leave pay the bill in cash?
First of all , you don't need a credit card ... or even a debit card. At WDW resorts, a room charge can be set up with a credit card, debit card (with VISA/MC logo), travelers checks, cash, or even Disney Dollars.

When you present your plastic (debit or credit) for the purpose of setting up a room charge, they swipe the card and run through a charge in the amount of zero dollars and zero cents ($0.00). They do this in order to make sure the card is linked to an active account (it will not be approved if the card isn't "real" or is based on a closed account). Also, they don't check your available credit or bank balance, and they place NO HOLD whatsoever on your credit card or bank account.

Your card will NOT be charged until one of the following events occurs: you meet/exceed your room charge limit; or it gets to be about 3:00 a.m. on your check-out day. At any time before your account gets charged to your card, you are free to go to the front desk to pay off some or all of your account by other means. You could do this every day if you wanted to. The only important part to know here is that if you want to do it, you MUST do it before your room charge account meets/exceeds the limit you set at check-in (or before you go to sleep on the night before check-out, whichever comes first). Once you meet/exceed the limit, you can simply set up another room charge.

If you put down cash, travelers checks or Disney Dollars to back up your room charge, and you did not meet/exceed your limit, you will receive an immediate CASH refund when you check out.

As an unrelated FYI, it's important to note that, room charge or not, WDW resorts do not require you to present a debit or credit card at time of check-in to cover "incidentals" or anything like that. If you wanted to, you could do WDW totally plastic-free.

Ok, another question. My husband is concerned that spending is much easier when you do not have the cash in hand. Is there any way that you can check spending throughout the day? I think he is more concerned with my spending habits than his own ;)

Ok, another question. My husband is concerned that spending is much easier when you do not have the cash in hand. Is there any way that you can check spending throughout the day? I think he is more concerned with my spending habits than his own ;)

FACT:
At any time, you can go to your resort's front desk and get an up-to-the-minute print-out of your room charge activity. It will itemize each transaction, but not each item. In other words, it will say that card #2 on your account made a $100 purchase at the Emporium in MK at 1:03 p.m. on 9/23/07, but it won't say what individual items comprised that $100 total purchase. It will also give a running total, as well as spell out how much is left on the account before you hit the limit.

EDUCATED GUESS:
You can call your resort's front desk from your cellphone and ask how close you are to your spending limit.

This is something that I am definitely going to miss due to our staying at the Swan on our next trip. It's so easy to not have to worry about carrying my "real" credit card or a bunch of cash with me. Staying at the S/D gets us EMH but not charging privileges.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter