Room key question

disneyfanatic1

I Boo'd myself with a cheap imitation
Can anyone tell me if I am able to put cash on my room key? I thought I heard there is a limit to how much you can put on your key if you are staying at the value, is that right? :confused3

I have read to many horror stories about using an ATM card at disney, but I am unsure if I want to carry cash also.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Lori

At the Value Resorts the spending limit is $500, at the Moderate Resorts the spending limit is $1000 and at the Deluxe and DVC Resorts the spending limit is $1500.

At the Value Resorts the spending limit is $500, at the Moderate Resorts the spending limit is $1000 and at the Deluxe and DVC Resorts the spending limit is $1500.
It's been some time since I've stayed at a Deluxe, but regardless of whether we have stayed at a moderate or a value, our spending limit has always been $500. This was actually a discussion between me and DH on the 12th when $500 was put on our room key when DH asked me if that amount ever changed (not that we care since we never spend that much...he was just curious). I shrugged my shoulders and said I didn't know. We've gone almost every year since 2000 and have stayed at a moderate 4 times, and a value 3 times...all seven times we've had a limit of $500. :confused3

if you bring cash bring enough to have. budget a certain amout per day then add $150-200 more then you should be safe if you are worried about the ATM fees:scared1: if you are going offsite then the ATM fees are smaller(but i don't think your headed of site) we have been to WDW enopugh times now to know how much to bring. almost to the dollar.:rolleyes1 and DW thinks i plan too much :rotfl2:

It's been some time since I've stayed at a Deluxe, but regardless of whether we have stayed at a moderate or a value, our spending limit has always been $500. This was actually a discussion between me and DH on the 12th when $500 was put on our room key when DH asked me if that amount ever changed (not that we care since we never spend that much...he was just curious). I shrugged my shoulders and said I didn't know. We've gone almost every year since 2000 and have stayed at a moderate 4 times, and a value 3 times...all seven times we've had a limit of $500. :confused3
I am not doubting that you are right or wrong about this, the only thing I will say is whenever this topic has been brought up others have said the exact same numbers I did and I remember posting the same thing last year.

what do you mean limit? i am confused lol

also if you put a credit card down, is there a limit?

do they put a hold on your card too ?

what do you mean limit? i am confused lol

also if you put a credit card down, is there a limit?

do they put a hold on your card too ?
Each Resort category so this being Value, Moderate, Deluxe and DVC (not sure how it works for Ft Wilderness) each have a spending limit for room charges on the KTTW cards. I think once you reach the limit you can get it refilled or something. However that problem has never happened to my parents and I, so I do not know how that process works.

OK several things
-you can have a LOWER limit than the numbers published here, there is a form you sign to OK having your room key tied to your CC this is where you can lower the amount or have some keys not have charge abilities
-if you hit your max they call you on your room phone (or they did us) and ask to go on and process them all. We said yup and presto you are back to zero.
-If they put holds I have no idea but many rental car companies do esp if its a debit card.
-you can settle your charges at the end of each day if you like so you can budget better

Have fun!

It was $1500 at WL...Every couple days though, I would go to the front desk and pay off whatever was on there with cash....so nothing actually ended up on my credit card.

That's true, but the resort will just charge that amount to your CC when you reach the resort limit and then start all over again, so effectively it's up to the limit on your CC.

We've stayed at POR 3 times in the past 2 years and the room key charge limit was always $1000.

Or are you talking about giving the front desk cash ahead of time, then using the room key for charges?

We've stayed at POR 3 times in the past 2 years and the room key charge limit was always $1000.

Or are you talking about giving the front desk cash ahead of time, then using the room key for charges?

I'm talking about when you check in and they ask if you want to be able to put a credit card down to be able to charge to the room key. We always say yes...we always get the $500 limit regardless if we stay at a moderate or value. It has nothing to do with our credit card limit as that's well over $500 so I know it's not tied to that... We stayed at CBR last year and it was $500. It's not a big deal to us since we never spend that much anyway, but it definitely is weird.

Last year, at Boardwalk I put $2500 on my key. They warned me that if I had any leftover at the end of the trip they would have to mail me a check. I looked at them and said, leftover? I don't think it will be enough.

So what happens if I put $500 cash on my room key and we do not use it all? Do they give me cash back or do I have to wait for a check?? :scared1:

We're staying at a 2-bed at OWK with essential 3 families - I assume that only one credit card can be assigned to a room/set of room keys? So I'm guessing this won't work for us because I'm not dealing with figuring out who owes who what, etc. if we're all putting it on one family's CC.

We're staying at a 2-bed at OWK with essential 3 families - I assume that only one credit card can be assigned to a room/set of room keys? So I'm guessing this won't work for us because I'm not dealing with figuring out who owes who what, etc. if we're all putting it on one family's CC.
The credit card you give Old Key West at check-in is where you're Resort bill will go to and whatever room charges you or you're family make with the KTTW cards.

It was $1500 at WL...Every couple days though, I would go to the front desk and pay off whatever was on there with cash....so nothing actually ended up on my credit card.

Thanks Rocktire- That would be easier to pay off balance with cash- I did'nt realize that was an option!

I'm talking about when you check in and they ask if you want to be able to put a credit card down to be able to charge to the room key. We always say yes...we always get the $500 limit regardless if we stay at a moderate or value. It has nothing to do with our credit card limit as that's well over $500 so I know it's not tied to that... We stayed at CBR last year and it was $500. It's not a big deal to us since we never spend that much anyway, but it definitely is weird.

That is weird. Maybe someone with a similar name wrote Disney some bad checks or something. Because it's definitely supposed to be $500 at the values, $1000 at the moderates, and $1500 at the deluxes.

Thanks Rocktire- That would be easier to pay off balance with cash- I did'nt realize that was an option!
It worked well for me, because I really didn't want to put anything on the credit card, but I also didn't want to walk around with a wad of cash...and I also didn't want to be suprised by a massive bill at checkout....those charges can sneak up on you at WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter