• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Room in the cabin for all the carryons now?

rbork

DIS Veteran
Will there be room in the cabin if all these people are traveling w/ carryons only? me included:goodvibes Looks like more and more people are not checking bags. I can only imagine the pushing, shoving and cramming of all those carryons into the cabin of the airplane.
We are a family of 4 and planning on each taking a carryon size piece of luggage and a personal item: purse (my larger one of course) and the boys can take a sling back pack as their personal item. :idea:

The amount of room overhead will depend on what size plane you're flying and where you are in the boarding order. Many of the smaller planes have room for very little (maybe a jacket, a computer, etc.) and anything larger than that might have to be gate-checked. Even with a full-sized plane, if you're in the last group to board, you still may have to gate-check, even if your carry-ons are the allowed size! :sad2:
Find out what size plane you're flying and also your boarding order and plan accordingly. :thumbsup2

Good Point PP. thx. So.... who boards first? the rear of the plane or the front?
Silly question I know, let's just say it's been awhile since I've flown anywhere:):goodvibes

Rear of the plane boards first, except in the case of Southwest Airlines, where you're boarded in order of group number and you pick your seats as soon as you get on the plane.

Last time we went to Orlando, we didn't even bother putting anything in the overheads...we just stored our carryons under the seat in front of us. We only had one carryon each, though...

Good Point PP. thx. So.... who boards first? the rear of the plane or the front?
Silly question I know, let's just say it's been awhile since I've flown anywhere:):goodvibes

boarding depends on your carrier. Most have boarded back to front, but I have seen a few variations over that last few years.

I have actually been amazed that there has been enough room on most of my flights. One recent flight had to have a couple of roll a boards gate checked, so if you get on in a late boarding group, be prepared for that.

I always make sure I have anything I need in my backpack that goes under the seat.

Duds

It really depends on the airline. In my experience, AA tends to have more business travellers, and therefore more carry-on luggage.

Boarding it also different, depending on the airline. First Class always boards first, then "priority boarding" -- those frequent fliers. On AA, it's not uncommon for half of the plane to be filled with priority fliers, depending on the route.

Pack with the notion in the back of your head that you might have to gate check your carry-on. make sure your purse or backpack is big enough to hold everything you might want to have in the cabin, and small enough to go under your seat. When you get to the airport and you've walked all the way from your car to the check-in area, multiply what it was like to carry that bag that distance by about 30.

Then decided if you want to carry-on or check.

If you still want to carry on, and you have to gate check, you're golden.

We just flew peak period 12/24 LGA/MIA and 1/3 MCO/LGA on AA. Both planes were oversold and with every seat taken up there was room for all the carry ons and jackets. I was very surprised.

Most airlines now board with a kind of hybrid system where some front and back rows all board at the same time. So having a seat in row 12 will not necessarily get you on the plane sooner than row 30.

FYI Aircraft 757 and MD-80

"Enough room" is relative. I was on a flight recently that was almost completely full. The wonderful Flight Attendants were able to get all the carry-on luggage stowed overhead. Unfortunately, the compartment where they placed my cane was SO full they couldn't get to it when I needed it.

Thanks for reminding me. I need to write to JetBlue.

As many have said, 'it depends'. In my experience the American carriers have less room and more people taking too many/too large carry on pieces. In Europe and Asia I am often on full flights with the bins only half full.

However, I have also see UA almost every week deny people from boarding with their too large/too many carry on pieces. Even here we see people who don't seem to think that they should be subjected to the rules. If a handful of people on every flight think that the rules don't apply to them, then the bins get full very quickly. Remember too that with reduced capacity, there are far more full flights these days.

Enforcement of the rules is finally happening in America; on many carriers at many airports before security, before boarding, and during boarding passengers are being sent away to check their too large/too many pieces.

As to boarding order, it is not back to front. Every carrier varies; for instance on UA it is
  • UGS/1K
  • 1P/*G
  • zone 1
  • zone 2 and families with small children
  • zone 3
  • zone 4

Zone 1-4 is determined by WILMA - window, middle, aisle. Many carriers no longer preboard families with children as it slows down the boarding process.

Sadly, those of us who sit on planes every week DON'T want to have to board first, but we often do just to secure overhead space. I fly bulkhead and must put up all my items. And I only carry two very small pieces so don't even use 1/2 of my allotted allowance on US carriers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter