• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Room Change Rant (Long)

I learn so much here. When we check in to OKW in a few weeks, I plan to INTERROGATE the front desk cm before ever taking any keys! We need ground floor for Mom (or elevator) and also nonsmoking.

Colleen,
No need to INTERROGATE, just call MS and request what you have stated here. When you check in, just ask if it is a HC room.
If they say yes, ask for something else. I find the CMs at OKW to be wonderful and will accomodate you as best they can. They are not miricle workers, but, they are terriffic.

Have a wonderful trip!!!

We were never promised "equal access" at any other resort, there was always a booking window of some type, though I think Dean's mention of 10 months vs 7 sounds correct.

Dean is correct. The minimum reservation priority is 1 month. Owners will always the ability to book at their home resort 11 months in advance and the non-home priority can be at 10 months (but has been 7 months once VB opened).

I am pretty sure Disney was in contract for a site near Washington DC. It was an Americana resort or something. The people in the area were up in arms about Disney ruining the historic area and this was a major defeat to Disney, since they had already announced it.
I saw this too but I thought it was a theme park that was going to be build with an Americana theme, with attractions like Hall of Presidents, etc. not necessarily a DVC resort. The area rejected the additional Disney traffic and outside establishment it would bring in (ah la International drive) ruining historical sites.

I think the 11 and 7 month booking window is nice, I really don't know anyone who plans thier vacations (almost every one) as far ahead as we do other than the DVC members I know. 7 months ahead is plenty, it evens out the playing field and gives one a little time to decide. Without the 11 to 7 month booking window we wouldn't have the home resort advantage and all the perks and preferences we individually purchased. OKW owners should have that advantage for GV, and so should BWV owners, and VB owners for thier beach cottages, other resorts with thier advantages. If you want those types of accomodations, purchase enough points in those home resort locations to make it happen. I think competition for resorts preferences or star features will increase as more resorts are built and more members added. it's a great system, that's why they got our money.

Gail, I agree that MOST cm's are lovely and try hard to accomodate requests. I get anxious when we travel with my parents because my Mom needs specific rooms for medical reasons. I am so glad when they accomodate those (non-smoking due to asthma and ground floor due to mobility problems) that I feel like I am pushing my luck adding "Hey could you put us by a pool?"

We are sneaking down a night early this year, and staying over at Riverside. I am going to go over to OKW early the next morning to check in, hoping to correct any problems before they even happen. My parents don't arrive til later that afternoon, and hopefully everything will be in order. I imagine that if I go over by around 9am, I might get a room by a pool after all! :)

Colleen, I am not directing this at you and will try to chose my words very carefully. I have NO problem with anyone requesting anything, within reason of course. I have no problem with anyone requesting a first floor, non HC for medical reasons. I do have a problem with someone demanding the same and being unwilling to accept a HC room with this type of request. I do realize that not all HC people are the same and that the rooms may not work as well for some as others. Someone has to get those rooms and it's far more reasonable for someone who has limiations to get them than say a family with small children who truly need a tub or even someone who doesn't care which floor, just doesn't want a HC room.

Dean, I agree with you. My family makes a lot of requests that are truly based on medical need. Non-smoking and ground floor are the real requests for us. If we get put in a handicapped room, so be it. In a 2-bedroom it matters little, as Sue from over at DisAbilities says the whirlpool tub is there anyhow. In a studio it would be more of a pain because my kids take baths, but not the end of the world. I think asking to NOT have a HC room is like requesting a certain view or location. If they can do it they will, but if not, no big deal.

I am so glad that WDW takes seriously the requests for certain types of rooms. My Mom simply could not stay at OKW if they couldn't guarantee her a ground-floor or elevator room. She may someday be in a wheelchair full-time and then we WILL need the HC rooms. Thank goodness they are there. Despite laws, this is still a largely inaccesible world. Disney is making sure that wheelchair guests can access their resorts, and if that means I have to stay in a HC room once in a while, fine. With DVC having forty years left, we here may ALL need HC rooms sooner or later!

I must be the luckiest person in the world. I have gone to WDW every year at least twce, and sometimes three times, for the last 12 years and have never run into any major room problems.

I have never been given a handicapped room as far as I can remember, I have always requested and received a non-smoking room, it's always been in a pretty decent location with a pretty nice view.

I think I will note down the info about Jackie Leuters and take it with me when I travel to WDW though. It seems to me that it might be good info to have along.

Diseny Doll,
Must be that we are from CT!!! :) Only once have I been assigned to something I had not requested. Non smoking room when I requested smoking optional. Not a bad average. :)

Hey DisneyDoll, I see you are from Trumbull. I spent a lot of time there as a kid. A dear aunt with 2 cousins lived there, and we would go up lots in the summertime. We had so much fine riding our bikes and just running amok -- it wasn't very crowded where she lived. I can't remember the address, but it was across the street from a huge golf course, and close enough to bike-ride to the high school. I also remember lots of visits to the local swimming pool, which was the first "zero-depth" type I had ever been to. In general, the whole area was really nice. Just one little problem -- a bit too far form Orlando! That very aunt is retired in Florida now, and we plan to meet up when I visit WDW in a few weeks.

Looking forward to the day I can retire in Florida!

Hi all,
Sorry for not getting back sooner, but I've been unable to log on to the site for a few days. I spoke to ms and voiced my concerns. Camille from ms called me right back to say she had spoken to the mngr at WL and the 25.00 was credited to my charge. It was never my complaint that we got a HA room, just that the room was described as something it wasn't. Believe me, I am thankful that neither my wife or myself require a HA room and I'm glad that they provide them for those who do. Thanks again to everyone for your advice and opinions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter