Rooe drop mk

Bean786

DIS Veteran
So besides being ahead of the crowd, what's the reason for being at rope drop? There's a parade or something? That's worth it. Deciding if I'm going to do Rope drop one day. Also the disney site isn't working for me. Trying to see mk hours on April 14 (Sunday). What time would I need to get there?

They have an opening ceremony where the characters arrive on the train and they dance and Mickey opens the park. Very cute and worth seeing at least once.

jennylyn_b said:
They have an opening ceremony where the characters arrive on the train and they dance and Mickey opens the park. Very cute and worth seeing at least once.

Sorry wanted to add that we get there about twenty minutes early but if you want to be right up close then better make it 45.

There is a cute little welcome show with a train and the characters sing and dance, but I think 98% of the people there are to get to their favorite attractions with no wait... being there that first hour can save hours of waiting in line ;)

Rope drop is always worth it in my mind. The opening show is cute and you beat the rush. If MK opens at 9, be there around 8:30.

A lot of people like to show up around 10:30/11am as they are on vacation and many people sleep in and are not early risers. By getting their early your wait on the lines are much lower than around 11am when it gets crazy. I have hit half of MK by 11am or so by being there at RD.

--Thor

So where is this parade before the turnstiles? I'm trying to get a visual.. Thanks for quick responses :)

a show in front of the train station welcoming everyone to the MK. Music and a little dancing. There is a family of the day chosen to open the park.

It is enjoyable, not fantastic. And it is the only one left in WDW.

You can look look at park hours under the Theme Park menu on this site. It is the far left item on the darker blue line above.

Here is your visual...

Cae3pture_zpsa390ce2d.jpg

How long is the opening ceremony? We have a ressie at CP at 9:25.

The opening ceremony starts about 10 minutes before the park opens (e.g. at 8:50) and lasts about 10 minutes. So it will be done and people will be let into the park right at the announced opening time (or maybe a couple of minutes earlier).

ghtx said:
The opening ceremony starts about 10 minutes before the park opens (e.g. at 8:50) and lasts about 10 minutes. So it will be done and people will be let into the park right at the announced opening time (or maybe a couple of minutes earlier).

Thank you! Gave me a little scare when I saw the post. :)

So besides being ahead of the crowd, what's the reason for being at rope drop? There's a parade or something? That's worth it. Deciding if I'm going to do Rope drop one day. Also the disney site isn't working for me. Trying to see mk hours on April 14 (Sunday). What time would I need to get there?

EasyWDW says 4/14 is a Not Recommended day for MK, mostly because of the evening EMH. Since you said you're considering rope drop for just one day, sounds like this should be the day! Being ahead of the crowd at rope drop is super important in these situations unless you want to spend most of your day standing in lines :) I'd get there 8:15-8:30. And have a strategy for which rides to go to first. And an app to show you wait times so you make the best use of your time. Of course that assumes that you're there to ride rides (as opposed to just soak in the magic or people watch or whatever). :)

So I can see the parade without going in? Really we were going to use this day to meet mickey Minnie and such and then go to seaworld by 1 but now I'm not sure.. We might just go see the parade.. This is doable right?

Bean786 said:
So I can see the parade without going in? Really we were going to use this day to meet mickey Minnie and such and then go to seaworld by 1 but now I'm not sure.. We might just go see the parade.. This is doable right?

Just to be clear, it's a welcome show, not an actual parade. Yes, you could go just to watch the show and then leave, but I wouldn't waste my time doing something like that. There is a chance they won't do the show at all and that would be an even bigger waste of your time! If you can make it to rope drop on a day you plan to go into the park, then go for it! :)

we were staying on site & DH wanted to get to the park early & on a bus that was not too full so we took the first bus a 7am to MK, now they did not open until 9am, we were prepared for the wait, but a Cast Member picked us as the family to help open up MK that day:woohoo:, it was awesome, my DD loved it, they rode us around in a car & took pictures, the only people in the park was ones with reservations & people with tour guides.
the cm that took us around said that was how to get picked to be the opening family was to be at the parks early.

My DD was also chosen by a CM to open up Camp Mickey & Minnie at the Animal Kingdom, was given VIP seats at the Lion King show, we went early & was at that section before it opened.:woohoo:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter