• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ron Jon or Radisson?

hunter6009

Mouseketeer
I have a room reserved at Ron Jon's and also the Radisson before the cruise. I do not need shuttle service, so that's why I thought I'd go with Ron Jon's. Has anyone stayed here before? Do they like it? Would you recommend another hotel altogether instead?
We would like a beachfront property, near some restaurants, not too far from the Budget Rental Car office, that will accomodate a baby.

Thanks!!!

hunter6009 said:
I have a room reserved at Ron Jon's and also the Radisson before the cruise. I do not need shuttle service, so that's why I thought I'd go with Ron Jon's. Has anyone stayed here before? Do they like it? Would you recommend another hotel altogether instead?
We would like a beachfront property, near some restaurants, not too far from the Budget Rental Car office, that will accomodate a baby.

Thanks!!!
I have stayed a both. The Radisson is very close to the Budget office. I think it is .2 of a mile. You could walk there. The Radisson is not oceanfront. They do have a nice pool but I would say the rooms are average. It is fine for 1 night before a cruise. The Radisson has at least two restaurants nearby and there is a McDonald's across the street. It is on a main road with shop and business nearby. Ron Jon is off the beat and path. The only restaurant nearby is the one onsite. When I was there last April they did not open for breakfast. The food at their restaurant was pretty good at a decent price. There are only condos and shipping terminals near Ron Jons. You have to take a golf cart to see the beach. They have a huge pool, lazy river and a waterslide. It is great if your kids a little older. The rooms are pretty nice. They have all different size. Most have kitchens.
I usually stay at the Radisson for 1 night and Ron Jons for longer stays.
There are a few new hotels just opening up. The Sheraton Four Points is one.
View link for previous review of Ron Jons:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=805236

Waterslide at Ron Jons
78903Ron_Jon_waterslide.jpg

Mini Golf at Ron Jons
78903Ron_jon_golf.jpg

Lazy river at Ron
78903ron_jon_lazy_river.jpg

View from 4th floor looking on pools. Beach is off in the distance - on the other side of those condos.
78903Ron_Jon.jpg

The Wonder sailing by Ron Jons (Camera was zoomed in) The area between the ship and Ron Jons is a public campground.
78903ship_wonder_421.jpg

Those are great pictures of Ron Jons. We are staying there the night before our cruise in Sept. I love lazy rivers and would be happy just floating around all day... :fish:

We've never stayed there before, but we are looking forward to it.

We stayed at the Ron Jon resort before our Oct '04 cruise. Our kids loved the mini golf and the indoor Mcdonalds style playground. Unfortunatley the weather was on the cool side and breezy while we were there so we did not get to use the awesome looking pools. We had a 2 bedroom unit with a full kitchen - it was very big and spacious. We requested a room overlooking the port area and were able to see the Magic arrive at 4:30 am. :cool1: I would highly recommend this property, but remember it is a timeshare.

Jennifer

jenschaef1 said:
We requested a room overlooking the port area and were able to see the Magic arrive at 4:30 am.
Jennifer

So you were up at 4:30 AM ?!!! Yikes!!! I'm an early bird - up at 5AM every day for work, but 4:30 when I'm on vacation? Guess it would be worth it for the Magic, but...wow!

DH went to the inlet to get picturs of the Magic coming in the morning we boarded. :)

lbgraves said:
DH went to the inlet to get picturs of the Magic coming in the morning we boarded. :)

You were up early too, Lisa?!!!!

Wow - I am impressed. :worship:

And I think getting up at 8AM on vacation is early.

How does everyone stay up late when they are up so early? :confused:

We stayed one night. The indoor playground was GREAT! They had a game of laser tag. The kids begged to stay there and not go on the ship. Of course they changed their minds later. We had a two bedroom suite, and it was large and nice. We ate dinner at the restaurant on site, and it was delicious. I have nothing bad to say about it. We saw the ship from the walkway in front of the room first thing in the morning. I would stay there again without question.

DH and I stayed on Ron Jon's for an overnight before our cruise last May. We LOVED the place and we have no kids!

We are doing the same on the May 2006 cruise!

Stayed at The Raddison for our first cruise in 2004 - liked Ron Jon's SO much better.

Hi,

Never stayed at Raddison, but would definetly consider it in the future.

We did stay at Ron Jon for two nights before our cruise last March. It was peak season, so we paid $145 per night for a studio. Was it worth the money? Yes. Would I stay at Ron Jon again? Not sure.

PROS: Coming from the midwest, Ron Jon's most outstanding feature, to me, was having the ocean just a quick shuttle ride away. Pretty resort, loved the Florida/Miami decor! Everyone was friendly and nice, including the guests. If you have children, they will love the water park, but that perk was lost on my teenage daughter. Our odd little shaped studio was bigger than I thought it would be. The bathroom was huge (they should have made the bathroom smaller and the rooms bigger). The store inside Ron Jon has almost everything you need for your trip. You can also find all the fixings to make quick meals in your room. Lots of people were enjoying the mini-golf.

CONS: To me, the restaurant dinner menu was limited, the food was nothing special, but dessert was most delicious. The service was very slow at the restaurants most of the time. They don't serve breakfast. My hamburger at the outdoor restaurant was raw after waiting a very long time for it. I could never stay here more than two days with no car due to the food situation. If your room is anywhere near the miniature golf areas, it can get pretty noisy if you are trying to relax in your room.

Luckily, you have a car, so you won't experience the limited food selections and Ron Jon's shuttle hassles we experienced to the port.

The next time we need a room prior to the cruise, I may opt for the Radisson instead of Ron Jon, just to save money. Ron Jon was very nice, but there were a few things I wasn't wild about.

Here's how I sum it up. Is it worth paying more for Ron Jon?
Probably - IF YOU....
have children young enough to enjoy the water park or
have your heart set on easy ocean access or
have a rent a car to eat wherever you want and
don't mind paying Ron Jon's higher room prices

Is it worth it to pay less and stay at Raddison?
Probably - IF YOU...
have kids that are too young/too old to be thrilled with Ron Jon's water park
don't have a rental car and/or plan on eating onsite/nearby
are interested in saving money on your pre-cruise stay

JMO, But never having stayed at the Raddsion, I can't say for sure.

Have fun!
Tink

If you want a beachfront hotel, try Best Western or Oceanside Inn. Both are near the Cocoa Beach pier, which would hold interest for teens and adults. Younger children should love the beach and waves. There are lots of restaurants and groceries within walking distance, and easy to drive area with rental car, or reasonable taxi if without car.

Have stayed at Radisson and were disappointed it is so far from beach. Need a car to get there. Have seen Ron Jon's - most of the units are not at the beach - need to take a shuttle.

We want to stay at Ron Jon's for just a single day (Friday) before we cruise. Anybody have any hints as to where to find a good rate, or do I need to call the resort? Any hints would be appreciated. Thanks!!

DisneyMom&Fan,

We're going on the 11 day cruise too and DH and I are staying at Ron Jon's the night before as we! We're not bringing our sons as they are now 21 and 18 and will be working and in college. If you are driving in and in case you don't know this yet, you can park there for free for the duration of the cruise and take a shuttle ($4 per person one way) or a taxi ($8 one way for up to 4 people). The lady at concierge suggested the taxi as it would be on our time schedule and the shuttle goes when full.

Interested in meeting that evening before the cruise? PM me if you'd like to.

MSWint,
I booked at regular rate but will call back and have a AAA discount applied as soon as my card comes in. Do know that you must pay in full at the time the ressie is booked.

We have stayed at both, and although RJ is more$$ we would definitely stay there again. It's new, clean, beautiful, and FUN! Ask for a AAA discount. :thumbsup2

We are big fans of the Ron Jon resort, and loved the stay there before our cruise in 04'. We plan on booking a room there again for at least one day before we cruise in May 07'. The kids indoor area and the pool setup were great. We also utilized the beach. From our room, we could see the ships passing by.

Can I ask what the ball park figure is per night at Ron Jon's. I was looking at this hotel and it seems great.

depends on the time of year. Anywhere between 125 and 200 for a Studio. We just booked for Sept 06, $155 plus taxes for a studio.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter