Roller Shoes at Disney World

I am an overprotective parent/grandparent and very big on following the rules HOWEVER I spent a lot of time people watching while in the parks recently and I did see quite a few young people with the wheels in their shoes. I never saw one bump into anyone. Might be because you could not really wheel in a crowd because you could not get up enough steam. I found myself being a bit jealous of how much fun the kids were having and it did not seem to be a problem to anyone around them. :confused3

That being said there was one young boy, foreign (not that it makes a big difference) who was learning how to wheel in the CS of our resort and he did not have very good balance. He was having a good time and since we were the only people near by to be inconvienced and are fairly tolerant people it was not too bad. I can see how it might have been if there had been more people around though. I gave him the advice about thinking of his 'belly button' as his center and it helped some. I told this to his parent who spoke English and we had a laugh over it.

I have been hit by baby strollers and wheel chairs but have never been run into by a wheelie. Might be one day but until then I am not going to worry.

It is the grocery cart close behind me in the store that scares the daylights out of me. Ever notice how the bottom juts out more than the top and it hits your ankle. Ouch!!!

We are all victims of our experiences or inexperiences. If it is illegal that is another matter though. I would rather fight a silly law than break one. :grouphug:

Slightly Goofy

For the most part I find this debate amusing. ;) It's funny that it's come up again. I was at the mall yesterday (using crutches after a leg injury and surgery) when two tween-aged boys came spinning around the corner and stopped just short of slamming into me. As I regained my balance, two security guards came running after them and nearly did the same thing! I was :rotfl2: Geez, if the heely kids don't get ya, the darn mall cops will! :rolleyes1

On a serious note, tho', the problem as I see it is deeper than the shoe/skates. The real problem is that some parents knowingly allow kids to just break rules and do what they want. These kids learn to disrespect any rules or laws that don't suit them. I know that I am an old-fashioned mom/grandma/hippy/teacher, but as a child I was taught to question authority, but always respect it. If you believed a rule or law was wrong or unfair, you were encouraged to work the system to try to change things. Rules and laws are the glue that holds together a democratic society. We are not doing kids any favors by allowing them to just do whatever is fun without regard for others or respect of the rules.

For those who believe that shoe/skates should be allowed in the parks, why don't you encourage your kids to write Disney and state your case? Offer up some evidence that they are reasonably safe and not an inconvenience to other guests. In the meantime, follow the rules and enjoy walking at Disney World and skating in more appropriate places. Just stating MHO.

:tink:

ely3857 said:
Allowed or not I saw many many children wearing them during my last trip (sept 28th-0ct 12th) but never once did any of these children bang into, bump into or trip over any other park guest.

:sunny:

Jodie

I had a kid run into me at a good speed last Jan. By running into me, he pretty much hit a brick wall. I did not budge. the kid was hurt. the "maroon"(as bugs bunny would say) parent was mad at me for not watching where I was going and not catching him. I was standing still waiting for a parade to start. How could I watch where I was going?

My response to her was "why don't stop yelling at me and tend to your hurt child. The first aid station is right over there." she huffed and dragged the poor kid away.

as a child I was taught to question authority, but always respect it. If you believed a rule or law was wrong or unfair, you were encouraged to work the system to try to change things. Rules and laws are the glue that holds together a democratic society. We are not doing kids any favors by allowing them to just do whatever is fun without regard for others or respect of the rules.

These words sum up my thoughts exactly. I am sure that if I had ever been run into by someone on 'wheels' I would feel differently than I do right now.

When I was younger I had a poster on my bedroom wall that said "Your right to swing your arms ends where my nose begins". :thumbsup2

Slightly Goofy

I, too, hate heelys. HATE them. I don't understand the need for them, and they certainly should never be worn in public places.

I work at a summer camp and we had an interesting heely accident over the summer. A boy wearing the dang things skated over another kid's untied shoelaces. The laces got tangled in the wheels, and they both came crashing down in a big heap on the cement. Not fun. We're no longer allowing heelys at camp next summer.

I don't really blame the kids. If you're wearing skates, you're going to want to skate. It's impossible to tell your children "you can wear your heelies, but don't use the wheels in certain areas." Because they're going to use the wheels! They just are.

In my opinion, it is the parents' responsibility to put a stop to it. Don't leave it to your kids to decide, because they're kids. They're not adults. They aren't supposed to be rational and responsible yet. ;) :rolleyes:

My son has been nagging me for heelys for ages, we got off the bus at epcot one morning and a young girl went whizzing past us on them, 'See' he says, 'look how quick she's going!'. needless to say she fell over almost immediately and cracked her arm sometbing terrible on the pavement, (I'm not sure but it looked broken to me!).
'See' I say, 'Look how quickly she's going to hospital!'
He's not mentioned them since.

BTW she was taken straight to GS and was well looked after by the Disney cms

I think the problem is all the CM's need to be on the same page. They all need to react and resolve the problem the same way, especially since some are a lot more observant than others.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter