Rollator rental?

I was wondering if any such thing exists. I don't have the money to invest into a purchase on one. I REALLY don't wish to rent a WC this visit. The last several times I've gone I have needed one. I had major surgery last fall and I haven't been able to walk long distances. I'm giving it a shot this weekend but I would really like to have the convenience and emergency back-up of the rollator.

K and M company quoted a price of $70 for a 1 to 7 day rental on a rollator. It sounds like you pay for a week whether you use it for a week or not.

There were other companies, but a lot of them said call to quote and had no prices to see on the web.

Then I googled for buying one. You can buy one from $75 to $100 on internet. It would cost more if you went to a medical store for one.

I'm not sure about your situation, but sometimes I think insurance will pay for one depending on the circumstances.

Others may chime in and give better alternatives. Good luck.

Has anyone at all ever rented one?

I don't know where to start. All I seem to be able to find online are companies who want my information to give me a quote. That's ridiculous, I just want the price and availability and if it's even an option. I don't need an ECV or WC.

K and M company quoted a price of $70 for a 1 to 7 day rental on a rollator. It sounds like you pay for a week whether you use it for a week or not.

There were other companies, but a lot of them said call to quote and had no prices to see on the web.

Then I googled for buying one. You can buy one from $75 to $100 on internet. It would cost more if you went to a medical store for one.

I'm not sure about your situation, but sometimes I think insurance will pay for one depending on the circumstances.

Others may chime in and give better alternatives. Good luck.

Thank you! Looks like we posted at the same time, lol. I think I may have figured out a solution. It looks like my HSA will pay for a rollator, so my problem may actually be solved :wizard:

Excellent - glad you figured something out.

Something to be aware of is that rollators don't do a very good job of absorbing bumps in the road and the pathways at Disney are very "authentic." When I used to use a rollator, it bothered my hands after a while pushing it over all the cracks and bumps. Just something to think about...

Something to be aware of is that rollators don't do a very good job of absorbing bumps in the road and the pathways at Disney are very "authentic." When I used to use a rollator, it bothered my hands after a while pushing it over all the cracks and bumps. Just something to think about...

hhhmmmm....will do:thumbsup2

I saw another post on here when I was researching where the poster in question had difficulty breathing and wished they had a rollator that mimicked a shopping cart. That's how I feel! If I could lean on a cart all day, I'd be fine. Too bad they don't make them with the bar handle, though I can see why not since it may get away from you easily that way.

I know it's different for everyone, but I really hate the wc. Not only does my DH insist on driving (and his "driving" stinks!), but he gets very tired and upset with people who cut us off and make comments. I try to let that stuff slide, but since I think I can walk the whole day, just with some assistance with sitting whenever and wherever I need to, I think the rollator is the better choice for me.

we just got our AP's and this is my first time returning to the parks post surgery:banana:. Unfortunately, walking around the block doesn't really prepare you for the miles of walking, and even worse, STANDING in line that I will need to do. I'm just hoping my body will be ok with me. I've been trying to be kind to it:hug:

Lumex-RJ4200A-1.jpg

I use this one with great tires, goes over gravel at yard sales and even wheeled the dh off the ship from our cruise. His gout acted up pretty bad the last day.

I like that it is not geriatric looking, more like a cart. Lumes and Duramed makes it. My first one on Amazon 7 years ago was $130 free shipping. THe Lumex was $70 with free shipping. Try to google or use pricegrabber.com to find the best buy, I did see some for a similar price at SAMs Club too.

Make sure it had real nice full 8 inch wheels.

$77 from Prime medics on Amazon
Multiple colors
41PVwke85NL._AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Walkabout-Lit...=sr_1_47?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1313407671&sr=1-47

41-BxLDhVsL._SS400_.jpg

Lumex-RJ4200A-1.jpg

I use this one with great tires, goes over gravel at yard sales and even wheeled the dh off the ship from our cruise. His gout acted up pretty bad the last day.

I like that it is not geriatric looking, more like a cart. Lumes and Duramed makes it. My first one on Amazon 7 years ago was $130 free shipping. THe Lumex was $70 with free shipping. Try to google or use pricegrabber.com to find the best buy, I did see some for a similar price at SAMs Club too.

Make sure it had real nice full 8 inch wheels.

$77 from Prime medics on Amazon
Multiple colors
41PVwke85NL._AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Walkabout-Lit...=sr_1_47?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1313407671&sr=1-47

41-BxLDhVsL._SS400_.jpg

Thank you for all the help! I had no idea what to look for. I thought they were all pretty much the same, lol. My biggest problem was the fact our first trip back to the world if this friday. that doesn't give me any time to order one. i was going to compromise and get the one...that's right, the ONE at Walgreens. Well, it just so happens I had a doctor's appointment today and she recommended a local medical supply company. I got the PERFECT rollator for me! I walked into their little showroom, spotted this one out of about 20 of them and said, "I want this one":lovestruc

I had no idea what brand or model it was until I got home. It's a Duramed model 4700 called...you ready for this?...it's called "The Grand Magic":goodvibes

It's even designed for taller people which i didn't know but works out great for me! I'm not that tall, 5'10", but I'm all leg so I hate regular walkers since even at the highest setting, I'm always having to stoop over. It has 8" wheels and instead of the metal basket, it has a canvas one. It also folds up quickly which will come in handy for the bus/boats. The crossbar/back comes out easily for storing flat. I am so stoked! I am thinking about pimpin' my ride. I see some sort of handlebar accesories and maybe a drink holder, lol

4700DX.jpg

Thank you for all the help! . I got the PERFECT rollator for me! I walked into their little showroom, spotted this one out of about 20 of them and said, "I want this one":lovestruc

I had no idea what brand or model it was until I got home. It's a Duramed model 4700 called...you ready for this?...it's called "The Grand Magic":goodvibes

It's even designed for taller people which i didn't know but works out great for me! I'm not that tall, 5'10", but I'm all leg so I hate regular walkers since even at the highest setting, I'm always having to stoop over. It has 8" wheels and instead of the metal basket, it has a canvas one. It also folds up quickly which will come in handy for the bus/boats. The crossbar/back comes out easily for storing flat. I am so stoked! I am thinking about pimpin' my ride. I see some sort of handlebar accesories and maybe a drink holder, lol

4700DX.jpg

Wow I am so glad, and the name is GRAND addition too! The folding flat, and not having to deal with a metal basket is fantastic option. You will be very happy and comfortable.

I went to the baby department and found
Jolly Jumper" canvas carrier to put 2 cans of soda, a zippers compmartment and a few places for chapstick, cell phone and small items.
51GJh5E49JL._AA160_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Jolly-Jumper-...s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1313493458&sr=1-6

It attaches over the handle bars with velcro. I also found a net that hangs from the handle bar to keep things in and not carry the basket to be in the way to collapse. On the foot part of mine I rest a small cooler of waters.
I love the ability to sit as I wait too.

51%2BCAy8xCjL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Jeep-90104-St...=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1313493458&sr=1-17

Do you mind if I pick your brain about something? I have a wide rollator and I think it will be difficult to get it through narrow doorways, did you find you needed to use the WC entrance for rides, or were you able to use the general queue? I know if there's a turnstile, I need to use the WC entrance, but are there any other rides that I need to know at the beginning that I won't fit at the end?

Any tips at all would be so much appreciated. I have gone to the world in a WC which was just a disaster because I didn't stop off and talk to anyone in guest services:rolleyes:

The easiest way, I always get the GAC, and often I would be directed to WC entrance. This way I do not worry about the turnstiles, stairs, or any obstacles. They often were on top of things as I approached. Other times I looked for the mouse helper. I had a carrier for my GAC around my neck so it was visible.

It is a mobility problem and they have different levels to accommodate. It was the same as using a wheel chair. I would suggest, if you are trying to walk and build up stamina, that there maybe a chance that you will wish you had a scooter. The back up would be a park rental I guess.

Last trip I went total rollator, but oh the ECV was so much less wear and tear. I do not do the wild rides. One Space Mt trip and now I will do Splash Mt. once.
AK is a tiring day, a lot of walking and waiting. For example, at the Saffari you wait for the accommodating vehicle and that can be some time until it arrives. You wait in the area for assistance and can sit on the rollator. You are in the main line until the loading area.

A big difference is the miles on the body using the rollator or the scooter. The end of the day exhaustion and soreness are going to be much higher then using the scooter.
On the other hand, it is nice to have the independence of the rollator and cost savings. If I recall, there are places like Pirates that you park the EVC and use their WC to get to the attraction. I can't recall how I got to the entrance from there, if I used my rollator or folding cane.

The one thing to remember is people with mobility problems enjoy the Kingdom in a different way. There is just no way we keep up with the ambulatory folks. There is a significant level of how long we can be at the park, how many attractions we can get to, how long to get from one to the other. The GAC does not mean we get on faster or more attractions, it just means we can have a more comfortable day.

I can get on the splash mountain just the one time because it is exhausting to just get to the loading area even with W/C entrance. I once asked for two rides because I knew I could not do the trip again that vacation.

It’s a long and tiring day. Bouncing from one attraction to the other and zipping through lines and off to the next does not exists in our bodies. I just try not to hold my family back. When there are accomadations needed we already know that there is just so much we can do.

The same with families that have children needing accomadations, their experiance is with limitations. One can not accomplish in a day what others can even with a GAC. We enjoy from a slower pace and shorter day.

Do you mind if I pick your brain about something? I have a wide rollator and I think it will be difficult to get it through narrow doorways, did you find you needed to use the WC entrance for rides, or were you able to use the general queue?
Doorways are at least 32 inches wide, which is considered wheelchair accessible) and most are actually 36 inches wide.
Animal Kingdom and the Studio were built with Mainstream Lines, which means that the line is wheelchair accessible, with 36 inch wide lines and turning areas of at least 5 feet in diameter.
MK and Epcot were not built with Mainstream Access, but it was added as much as possible as attractions were added or renovated.

Post 11 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread has a list of attraction “Mobility Entrances” for the attractions at each park. In most cases, you will see that it says to enter using the Mainstream Line (or they also use the words “Standard” or “Regular” queue.
You can find the disABILITIES FAQs thread near the top of this board or follow the link in my signature.
I know if there's a turnstile, I need to use the WC entrance, but are there any other rides that I need to know at the beginning that I won't fit at the end?
No, you won’t.
WDW has been removing turnstiles as they do renovations because they cause problems for a lot of people - some people have trouble getting thru them and small children may bump their heads on them.
At this point, there are very few turnstiles left. If you do encounter one, there will always be a wheelchair gate or a wheelchair bypass around it. CMs will see your mobility device and direct you the correct way to go if it’s not the usual path.

Any tips at all would be so much appreciated. I have gone to the world in a WC which was just a disaster because I didn't stop off and talk to anyone in guest services:rolleyes:
Not sure what you mean about this.
All attractions are wheelchair accessible up to the boarding area with a very few exceptions (Tomorrowland Transit Authority, Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse, to name a few).
Guests who have a wheelchair, ECV, or visible mobility aid like a walker, cane or rollator can use the Mobility Entrances without using a Guest Assistance Card or getting any assistance from Guest Services (more about Guest Assistance Cards in post 6 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread).

My biggest advice if you have not used a rollator much would be to go out for a full day of shopping with one and see how you feel with all the walking. Some people will do fine, but others will want to use an ECV instead because the walking was too much for them.
You might also want to alternate days walking with using an ECV if you think you can walk, but just not every day.

I would suggest getting one of the special maps for Guests with Disabilities for each park. In most parks, you will find them with the other maps as you enter the park - they have a black band at the top and say they are for Guests with Disabilities. If you don’t find them with the regular maps, you can pick up a copy for any park at Guest Relations.
Those maps have the Mobility Access listed for each attraction, so it is all neat and easy to use.

You might be surprised by how affordable rollators can be. It might be worth it to just buy one rather than rent. Check out online stores that sell discount medical supplies like MeridianHealthStore.com, you might find something within your budget.

Fingerless bicycle gloves work wonders, great for anyone pushing a wheelchair or transport chair all day too. They won't take care of the bumps and cracks, but will prevent any blistering or irritated palms from handling sweaty grips. Velcro, easy to put on and take off, take very little space when stored. WalMart has some for about $10 or less that would last a few trips, vs. an expensive bike or sporting goods store for more durable ones..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter