Roku

smhogar

Mouseketeer
I am looking at Roku? What can you tell me about them? How does it work? Do I need one for each TV?

Yes, you would need one for each TV unless you want to move it from room to room. We cut cable and put a Roku 3 on each TV. We use it to stream Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Music, and videos in Plex. There are a ton of channels and services and a bunch of hidden channels that can be added with codes.

We love the Roku. They are rock solid devices!

Yes you do need a tv for a Roku. But they are awesome! We cut out our cable a few months ago and we now only do Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu Plus and a few of the apps on there. We love it! We have just one in the playroom and then we have an Apple TV in the living room which is very much like a Roku!

Yes you do need a tv for a Roku. But they are awesome! We cut out our cable a few months ago and we now only do Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu Plus and a few of the apps on there. We love it! We have just one in the playroom and then we have an Apple TV in the living room which is very much like a Roku!
can you add apps or other streaming to Apple TV other than what comes preset for streaming? Can you add amazon prime for ex?

I recommend chromecast. You can put on the TVs anything that you can watch on your phone/laptop or tablet. Being a Google person, I preferred it.

We have Roku and we love it. We got rid of cable earlier this year.

You need some kind of device for each TV. It does not have to be a Roku. We have 3 TVs; one has Roku, one has Xbox 360, and one has a wi-fi enabled Blue-Ray player. We can get Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Plex, etc. on any of these devices. Also, many new TVs are web enabled "smart" TVs.

My point is that you can get the same result from multiple different devices. It doesn't have to be a Roku. But the Roku does work very well.

We have wii, Roku,and Tivo,and ps3 -all stream netfilx,etc etc.... (the games systems are for the kids in the basement,so I don't really use them for that) The simplest,and most streamlined thing to me, is the Roku.... I am looking for a deal on another for the bedroom.... There are articles comparing the the chromecast to the Roku out there..... I am more comfortable with the roku,as I don't want to control my tv with a smartphone or computer at this point.... and Roku seems more flexible....from what I've read.....
any Roku deals right now? I paid 35.00 for my last one,looking for similiar....

I recommend chromecast. You can put on the TVs anything that you can watch on your phone/laptop or tablet. Being a Google person, I preferred it.

My dad has seen very favorable reviews for the chromecast. I think it got a best value rating from Consumer Reports.

Alas, I don't think it will work for my purposes right now. I am looking for a way for him to get signals in a basement exercise room with no cable hookup (and no desire to pay for an additional box). Chromecast isn't the best choice for that application, I don't think. I was thinking of getting a Roku because he could control the unit with its remote, and not need to bring a computer or tablet (he does not have a smartphone)with him when he walks on the treadmill.

Then again, maybe he would be better off with a bigger screen tablet (he currently has an iPad mini) & watching programs via apps... Hmmm... Thanks for letting me think on this a bit more. =)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter