Roku streamer or a streaming stick?

jerseygirl81

DIS Veteran
I purchased a Roku streamer and love it, we are planning on getting rid of cable and would like to do some streaming on 2 more tvs. I was going to purchase 2 more roku streamers but wonder if a stick would be good enough since it is less expensive. What would I lose by buying the less expensive Roku stick?

Thanks, Linda

Make sure whatever you buy has a dual antenna like the amazon fire stick.

A little more expensive but another great option is one of these
http://www.amazon.com/MeeGoPad-Stic...27421424&sr=8-1&keywords=intel+computer+stick
More expensive but it will run full android 4.4 or windows 8.1 . So its a great option and you can turn any tv into a full pc.

For my house we have a single windows htpc that I built that has 2 ceton 6 tuners in it. I pay the cable company $6 a month combined for these cable cards and I get to view 12 channels at once. So I can record 12 channels or stream them. Then in each room with a tv I have an xbox 360 that acts as a extender for the htpc. We have 6 xbox 360s at once so at any time we can watch 6 channels live and record 6 channels.

I purchased a Roku streamer and love it, we are planning on getting rid of cable and would like to do some streaming on 2 more tvs. I was going to purchase 2 more roku streamers but wonder if a stick would be good enough since it is less expensive. What would I lose by buying the less expensive Roku stick?

Thanks, Linda

I have a Roku 3 and a Roku Stick. The biggest difference with the Stick is that its REALLY slow. There is a very noticeable delay when navigating the menu and channel screens. Also content loads slower and takes more time to buffer. IMO, Its worth the $50-60 extra just to get the Roku 3. It will save you the frustration.

Other differences is the Roku Stick only works on a WIFI connection where the Roku3 can work on either a WIFI or Ethernet connection. Also the Roku3 has a slot for an external USB drive.

You couldn't pay me to give up my Roku 3 if only for the earbuds jack. I love that so, so much.

However, I was looking at possibly adding the Fire Stick, as you can cast things from your phone/tablet to your tv with it, like Chromecast. I don't think the Roku stick does that. So my vote is if you go with a stick, go with Fire or Chrome for casting abilities, to give yourself more options of what to watch.

The biggest difference with the Stick is that its REALLY slow. There is a very noticeable delay when navigating the menu and channel screens. Also content loads slower and takes more time to buffer. IMO, Its worth the $50-60 extra just to get the Roku 3. It will save you the frustration.
I only bought the stick.... I agree it's slow.... I gave up and got myself cable.

I bought the fire stick to upgrade my Roku box (older version-not sure which one) in my bedroom. We have another Amazon stick in our living room and it works great. Well, the one for the bedroom would not pick up a signal-probably because the TV in the bedroom is in a wooden cabinet. I don't think the sticks get the greatest reception and we have good internet too-we run 2 Xboxes about 24/7 on high speed.

I have the roku 2xs which works great. I don't plan on upgrading until there is an issue.

does the fire stick have a tv antenna in it?

Thanks for all info I will research all of it before making a decision, I love that there is other options rather than paying for cable every month! Linda

For streaming on TV's, why not opt for a TV or a Blu-Ray player that has built in WiFi? We have 2 TV's, both with players that have built in WiFi. This is how we watch NetFlix, Hulu, Vudu and others. It will also stream video stored on my Laptop thru WiFi although we rarely use that. Much easier than using a separate box such as Roku.

Personally I have a chrome and 2 rokus.... I like the crhome for limited watching,like some tv shows I can stream for free a week after it airs for free.... and the Roku is the simplest to watch netflix,or whatever, I also like some of the roku channels and use those- my vote if you only choose one is Roku,you can usually buy an older model online for about 30.00....

If you have an IPad, you may want to consider getting AppleTV. You can stream from your IPad to you television via Airplay in addition to having the other apps. You can go to the many sites (ABC, CBS, Couchtuner) and stream the shows.

We have two Apple tvs and two hdtv antennas. I won't switch back. I have our main appletv connected via cable and the other over wifi. The wifi one works way better than imagined. I have tried it in two locations, both of which have lower quality signals and we still get Hd quality without any buffering. I intend to buy the new Apple TV when it comes out for our living room.

For the record, we do pay for Hulu plus and Netflix.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter