Rocky Mountain Highs (a non-Disney Trip Report) - COMPLETE 2/17

A rhyming intro.....Dis take notice. The bar has officially been raised on TRs.

I did love it. Giggled all the way through.

Yay for adults only trip! I'm in the weird position of being very close to my parents, but also grown and out of the house. So while I took DBF (who, actually, now is DFiance!!) to Disney on our own in 2013, this year Mom and Dad are going by themselves, and I'm just not sure how I feel about it.

Of course, Mom and I are doing a long weekend just girls next month. I'm still trying to figure out how she got TWO Disney trips out of this.

I'm jealous of your resort though! I've always wanted to stay at the Poly, and while the desire has diminished a tad due to its new look, I still want to stay there one day. Come on, it's a MONORAIL resort!

Awesome!!!!! I am so sure your FIL would want you two to use a bit for yourselves and yes, you should be allowed to have some fun. You will enjoy your trip. Don't forget EWP on the dock at 9pm. ;) Tambu lounge will out your drinks in plastic cups. If not at Trader Sams then the Tambu has been better than the pool bar.

I hope that's what he would want, because it's too late now! :rotfl2:

Thanks for the tips. I'm sure we'll be burning the candles at both ends because, well, that's what we do at Disney.

A rhyming intro.....Dis take notice. The bar has officially been raised on TRs.

I did love it. Giggled all the way through.

:welcome: Glad you enjoyed it!

Yay for adults only trip! I'm in the weird position of being very close to my parents, but also grown and out of the house. So while I took DBF (who, actually, now is DFiance!!) to Disney on our own in 2013, this year Mom and Dad are going by themselves, and I'm just not sure how I feel about it.

Of course, Mom and I are doing a long weekend just girls next month. I'm still trying to figure out how she got TWO Disney trips out of this.

First of all, congratulations on your engagement!

I think it boils down to this: we'd all rather be at Disney World. So we all feel a little jealous when somebody else is having fun instead of us.

I'm jealous of your resort though! I've always wanted to stay at the Poly, and while the desire has diminished a tad due to its new look, I still want to stay there one day. Come on, it's a MONORAIL resort!

We've always wanted to try out some of the different resorts, and the Poly is our favorite theme of the monorail resorts. We figured going without the kids was the only chance we'd get to stay there.

Chapter 1: “Russians Don’t Take A Dump, Son, Without A Plan.”

We had a plan. It was a good plan.

Ok, it was a decent plan.

It was the best we could come up with. We were flying from Philadelphia to Denver really early in the morning. Scheduled departure time was 7:10 a.m. And we had a 17-month-old toddler with us who would be sitting on our laps for the duration of the 4-hour flight. What could possibly go wrong?

That’s a great plan, Mark. That’s bleepin’ ingenious, if I understand it correctly. It’s a Swiss bleepin’ watch.

Why were we doing this to ourselves? Well, we take a vacation every year. It’s the biggest annual event we look forward to as a family, and we really enjoy seeing the country. We’re trying to get to all 50 states as a family—not because it means anything in particular, but more as a way to try and experience all of the diverse wonders and attractions that the country has to offer. We’d try and see other countries as well, but—well, you try paying for overseas travel for a family of six.

At the beginning of this trip, the elder three kids had been to 28 states. Baby Drew, in his year-and-a-half of existence, had already knocked out 14. We made the decision to try and do a longer, more expensive flight on this vacation while he was still young enough to ride on our laps. In other words, so I’d only have to pay for 5 tickets instead of 6.

So the plan was this: wake up at the butt crack of dawn, or 4:00 a.m. Be on the road by 4:30 a.m. Keep the baby awake in the car. Get dropped off at the airport by 5:15 or so. Check in our bags (thank you for no bag fees, Southwest!) and do the TSA Tango. Eat breakfast at the gate. Take off at 7:10, and hope the baby is so tired he falls asleep during the flight so we don’t become THAT FAMILY WITH THE ANNOYING BABY on the plane. We were scheduled to land in Denver at 9:20 a.m. local time, which would give us plenty of time to get our rental van and head downtown for a noon tour of Coors Field, where the Colorado Rockies play baseball. David is our biggest baseball fan and would no doubt enjoy seeing the stadium.

Sounds reasonable, right?

The Oblivious Family Law of Airports states that no matter where you enter the terminal, our airline check-in desk will always be at the opposite end of the building. This held true and we lugged our bags all the way down the length of the building. The Second Law of Airports states that our gate will always be the very last one at the end of the row. Again, this law held firm. But in spite of those unavoidable natural occurrences, amazingly, everything went according to plan. By 6:20 a.m., we were seated at the gate and eating overpriced McMuffins from the airport McDonald’s. Baby Drew did his part by refusing his baby food and trying to steal our hash browns.

Soon they were boarding the plane. We decided to take one row of 3 seats with me, Julie, and Sarah together so nobody would get annoyed with the baby crawling all over the place. Scotty and David were across the way in another row. Pity the poor guy who would end up in the extra seat there. In short, everything went swimmingly and by 7:10 we were ready to push back from the gate.

IMG_9143.jpg

We didn’t push back from the gate.

Around 7:25, the captain’s voice came over the intercom to tell us there had been a mixup and the plane had taken on too much fuel. So they had to have the truck come over to pump some fuel out before we could depart. We settled into our seats to wait for them to finish.

Ten minutes later, the captain informed us that the fuel truck was servicing another plane, but that we were next on the list.

At 7:40, the fuel truck finally showed up. It took several minutes for them to do their work. Then they packed up, and at last we were ready to go.

Then the captain told us that we had to wait to sign the new paperwork for the fuel that had been pumped out. Baby Drew pushed away from Julie and crawled over onto my lap.

At 7:55, we finally pushed back from the gate. Baby Drew was busy screwing up the settings on my iPad. By 8:00, we were taxiing to the runway. Then we stopped.

The captain informed us that we were 12th in line to take off. So it would be another 20 minutes or so. Meanwhile, Baby Drew fell asleep on my lap.

IMG_0423.JPG

We sat and sat with no movement. I began to worry—not only would we be late for the baseball stadium tour, but now we were wasting prime baby sleeping time! I’d been hoping we wouldn’t have to spend all 4 hours of the flight entertaining a restless toddler.

Time passed at a glacial pace. I told Julie I couldn’t wait for the captain to come back on the air to announce, “Well, folks, I’m sorry, but we’ve burned up so much fuel sitting here on the runway that we now need to fill the tanks back up…”

Finally, around 8:25 a.m., we took off for Denver. The baby was still asleep, so I could enjoy my rare time in the window seat (usually the kids take it) and take in the view of our great nation from above.

IMG_0424.JPG

Sigh.

About 30 minutes into the flight, Baby Drew woke up. So our plan had worked! We only had to entertain him for 3 and a half hours.

Any parent knows that toddlers have the same attention span as a housefly that took a sip from an espresso. So Julie had packed her carry-on bag with all sorts of little toys, gizmos, snacks, and anything else she could think of. The idea was to keep finding things that would entertain him for the next 15 minutes. For the most part, it worked. Every once in a while, he would get tired of being cooped up on our laps and fuss a bit. At one point, I got up and walked the aisle with him just to change the scenery. And I still have no idea how he changed the background screen on my iPad. But all in all, we survived the flight, and we landed in Denver around 10:30 a.m. It’s been several years since I was in Denver, and I’d forgotten how exciting it feels the first time the Rocky Mountains become visible.

IMG_0724%25255B1%25255D.JPG

The Oblivious Family Law of Airports held again, and we retrieved our 72 bags from the carousel only to find that we once again had to lug them all the length of the airport in order to get to the rental car shuttle. Julie and I looked at the time and quietly agreed that the delay in Philadelphia had killed us—there was no way we were going to make it to the baseball stadium in time for the tour. Not only did we still need to get the rental, but the Denver airport is located only slightly closer to Denver than the Philadelphia airport. Seriously, you can’t even see the city from the airport. So it would take a little while to get into town. We’d have to go to Plan B. What was Plan B, you ask?

Ok, we’d have to come up with a Plan B.

Thankfully, they didn’t deem us “unacceptable” and allowed us to leave the airport. We made it to the rental lot and picked up a Toyota Sienna. Once again, my Costco membership had come through for me and I’d gotten a really good deal for two weeks in the minivan. The clerk even remarked on the price I’d obtained. If only he knew how much we were going to abuse that poor vehicle.

We were on the road heading west on I-70 by about 11:30 or so. No sooner could we see the city skyline than we hit a traffic jam heading into the city. I had never read anything about Denver traffic before, but we found it to be surprisingly crappy most of the time on the highways. Rarely did we not encounter some sort of backup in our time there.

We were all getting hungry, so I bailed off the freeway and headed downtown. I’d seen a place called the Denver Biscuit Company on a TV show somewhere, and thought that sounded like a cool place to eat. So we entered it into the GPS and…nothing. Apparently, the place didn’t exist.

Around that time, Julie spotted a sign for a Chick Fil-A downtown, and we decided that would work just fine. The place was on Colfax Ave., just east of downtown Denver. We pulled into the parking lot, which was packed. I let Julie out to go place a takeout order and circled the lot until I found a space. We figured we’d just eat in the van.

A while later, Julie returned with our lunch. We hadn’t eaten since 6:20 a.m. Eastern time and were starving. Sarah grabbed her cup of Cherry Coke and shoved her straw through the lid…and also straight through the bottom of the cup. Within seconds, she was sitting in a puddle of Cherry Coke, in the rental van we’d barely had for an hour. And she was wearing white shorts.

Julie ran back in and got another soda for her while we cleaned things off as best we could. All of our clothes were still packed away, so poor Sarah had to sit for a little while on top of a stack of napkins in wet shorts. But in the end, we had our lunch and could finally do a little sightseeing. In fact, one of the first sights we saw as we headed west on Colfax Ave. was the Denver Biscuit Company, just a few blocks down.

Well, now we know where it is the next time we visit.

Coming Up Next: Plan B! And another rewarding trip through a crappy tourist trap gift shop.

Ah, the Philly airport experience! I love to hate that airport. I've never taken off on time there. Glad you survived Baby Drew on the flight.

Did you know that Colfax is the longest continuously named street in the country? Just a little Denver trivia for you!

Poor Sarah and the soda! That stinks!

Too bad you missed the Denver Biscuit Company..I've heard its great but I haven't been there yet.

Jill in CO

What could possibly go wrong?

Dun dun DUNNNNNNNN.........

We’d try and see other countries as well, but—well, you try paying for overseas travel for a family of six.

Heck, I can't afford it for myself! I just happen to have found a job that will pay for it.

aby Drew, in his year-and-a-half of existence, had already knocked out 14.

Pretty impressive. I've hit 20, but it's taken me 24 years.

Take off at 7:10, and hope the baby is so tired he falls asleep during the flight so we don’t become THAT FAMILY WITH THE ANNOYING BABY on the plane

True story, on the flight back from Munich, when I had an upper respiratory infection and really just wanted to sleep, there were FOUR babies around me. Four. And every time one started crying, the others would follow. Even Nyquil couldn't beat that.

Around 7:25, the captain’s voice came over the intercom to tell us there had been a mixup and the plane had taken on too much fuel.

I always wonder how this happens. Clearly, the pump doesn't have the auto shut-off that 99.9% of regular gas stations have. You'd think they could install one.

Looks like my view from Mt. Pilatus
11206032_1397609137231506_576569646718900563_n.jpg

We only had to entertain him for 3 and a half hours.

So you had that going for you

We made it to the rental lot and picked up a Toyota Sienna.

I love Siennas! That's what my mom has had for the last 15 years. Lots of Disney trips on that van.

Within seconds, she was sitting in a puddle of Cherry Coke, in the rental van we’d barely had for an hour.

See, three days after we bought our brand new Toyota Sienna, my friend spilled her milkshake in the backseat. It must be the law of Siennas, along with the one that says all owned Siennas will have a dent in their tailgate.

Tacky Tourist Shop? I can hardly wait!

Flight delays are annoying, especially one caused by too much fuel. What where they thinking? That the plane was going to fly to Europe? How can that happen??

So sorry for Sarah! I will take note that Chick-Fil-A has very flimsy paper cup if a teenage girl can destroy them with a straw! I will be double carefully if we end up eating there this summer in California! At least she was slightly better off than the Japanese guy who was once sitting next to me on a flight from London to Frankfurt who ended up with the beer for the third person in our row on him as the plane did a sudden jump when the flight attendant passed out the drinks. He had to get a connecting flight to Tokyo from Frankfurt - soaked in beer!

So Mark gets upset when I don't comment. So I'll comment and point out an error in his Trip Report before we even get to the second chapter. On the way out we had David with us and Sarah and Scotty sat by themselves. This is important because 1) David was feeling "left out" (????) of the family so we let him sit with us 2) Sarah and Scotty watched some videos together and then talked about them once we had the rental car (see point 1) and 3) Dave is a great kid, and will do whatever you ask him to, but he doesn't have that "intuition" thing yet......for example.....hmmmm....mommy is wrestling Drew, maybe how's not a good time to ask her for a piece of gum.

Another piece of information to point out is that in addition to wanting to steal hash browns at breakfast, Drew also got A LOT of orange juice from his sister. That will come into play later. Like in the next chapter of the Trip Report.

Loved the Sienna! Sorry that it got cherry coke on it!

Ah, we love PHL! The crappy luggage retrieval and the really long hallways to everything.

Sorry to hear of the delays. Poor Sarah. I bet one of my kids would have done that. Yeah, ask how my DS wearing his expensive Nike white shorts got black ink spots on them the first day wearing them. Ahhh kids.

Good start. The only time I was in Denver was near Christmas, so I packed warm clothes. It was oddly in the 70s, so I had to buy some short sleeve shirts. And, happily, some of my coworkers went up the mountains to ski. Day before we are to leave, Christmas Eve, and the road is closed to get down from the mountains. Needless to say, only some of us were home for Christmas.

Your coworkers are probably still stuck on I-70 trying to get back to town. ;)

Don't tell anyone our winters are nice! They are horrible, bitter cold, and blizzards! Stay away from Colorado! Don't move here! (LOL)

Jill in CO

At the beginning of this trip, the elder three kids had been to 28 states. Baby Drew, in his year-and-a-half of existence, had already knocked out 14.

That's pretty impressive! I think I've only been to 29, and I'm probably older than all of them added together!

The Oblivious Family Law of Airports states that no matter where you enter the terminal, our airline check-in desk will always be at the opposite end of the building.

I guess when you travel to places other than MCO out of the same airport you get to learn about new airports and locations of their ticket counters....

Baby Drew did his part by refusing his baby food and trying to steal our hash browns.

Of course!

Around 7:25, the captain’s voice came over the intercom to tell us there had been a mixup and the plane had taken on too much fuel.

What???? :confused3

Finally, around 8:25 a.m., we took off for Denver. The baby was still asleep, so I could enjoy my rare time in the window seat (usually the kids take it) and take in the view of our great nation from above.

IMG_0424.JPG

Sigh.

Nice.

About 30 minutes into the flight, Baby Drew woke up. So our plan had worked! We only had to entertain him for 3 and a half hours.

Well, I guess you have THAT going for you....

So Julie had packed her carry-on bag with all sorts of little toys, gizmos, snacks, and anything else she could think of. The idea was to keep finding things that would entertain him for the next 15 minutes. For the most part, it worked. Every once in a while, he would get tired of being cooped up on our laps and fuss a bit.

Smart, that Julie is!

Julie and I looked at the time and quietly agreed that the delay in Philadelphia had killed us—there was no way we were going to make it to the baseball stadium in time for the tour.

Bummer.

:rotfl2:

Once again, my Costco membership had come through for me and I’d gotten a really good deal for two weeks in the minivan. The clerk even remarked on the price I’d obtained.

Score!

No sooner could we see the city skyline than we hit a traffic jam heading into the city. I had never read anything about Denver traffic before, but we found it to be surprisingly crappy most of the time on the highways.

I've found that just about every major US city has traffic, and I would guess that the rules of travel would say that if you are trying to get somewhere, you get stuck in it.

We were all getting hungry, so I bailed off the freeway and headed downtown. I’d seen a place called the Denver Biscuit Company on a TV show somewhere, and thought that sounded like a cool place to eat. So we entered it into the GPS and…nothing. Apparently, the place didn’t exist.

I never trust the GPS, they don't know anything....

Sarah grabbed her cup of Cherry Coke and shoved her straw through the lid…and also straight through the bottom of the cup. Within seconds, she was sitting in a puddle of Cherry Coke, in the rental van we’d barely had for an hour. And she was wearing white shorts.

Ouch.

In fact, one of the first sights we saw as we headed west on Colfax Ave. was the Denver Biscuit Company, just a few blocks down.

Of course.

Well at least you arrived in one piece with all your luggage and we haven't had a poop story. Yet.

Chapter 1: “Russians Don’t Take A Dump, Son, Without A Plan.”

Red October

My but this sounds familiar…

What could possibly go wrong?

I don’t really feel like typing quite that much at this particular time, so…
We’ll just sit back and watch this one unfold.

That’s a great plan, Mark. That’s bleepin’ ingenious, if I understand it correctly. It’s a Swiss bleepin’ watch.

The Big Lebowski

We’d try and see other countries as well, but—well, you try paying for overseas travel for a family of six.

I can’t even do the tickets to Denver for three.

So the plan was this: wake up at the butt crack of dawn, or 4:00 a.m.

I think that the “butt crack” is closer to 5am.
4am is “before the rooster pisses”.
But both of them are considered to be “Stupid O’clock”

TSA Tango

Nice description.
May need to pick that one up.

The Oblivious Family Law of Airports states that no matter where you enter the terminal, our airline check-in desk will always be at the opposite end of the building.

So y’all are the ones that wrote that one up.
You need to go back and redraft that bit of legislation
(and all its miserable corollaries).

The Second Law of Airports states that our gate will always be the very last one at the end of the row.

Like that one.

Baby Drew did his part by refusing his baby food and trying to steal our hash browns.

Like I said earlier…
He’s got an absolute grasp on his assigned roll in this comedy of errors.

Third law of Oblivious Travelling?

“Well, folks, I’m sorry, but we’ve burned up so much fuel sitting here on the runway that we now need to fill the tanks back up…”

:lmao:

so I could enjoy my rare time in the window seat (usually the kids take it) and take in the view of our great nation from above.

IMG_0424.JPG

Looks like your view the one time you had the window in Hawaii.

About 30 minutes into the flight, Baby Drew woke up.

Well the plan covered one eighth of the flight time at least.
So you got that going for you.

So Julie had packed her carry-on bag with all sorts of little toys, gizmos, snacks, and anything else she could think of.

You’d think she was a veteran at child rearing or some such thing.
Oh, wait…

Julie and I looked at the time and quietly agreed that the delay in Philadelphia had killed us—there was no way we were going to make it to the baseball stadium in time for the tour.

Sorry ‘bout that one.
Too bad.

Good plan… I like it.

Once again, my Costco membership had come through for me and I’d gotten a really good deal for two weeks in the minivan.

They are surprisingly good about that.

I had never read anything about Denver traffic before, but we found it to be surprisingly crappy most of the time on the highways.

Will be filling that one away for future reference.

Around that time, Julie spotted a sign for a Chick Fil-A downtown, and we decided that would work just fine.

Having to shift to several different Plan-Bs here.

Within seconds, she was sitting in a puddle of Cherry Coke, in the rental van we’d barely had for an hour.

Murphy was working overtime this morning.
About the only thing that might have made that worse would have been…

And she was wearing white shorts.

Never mind…

Well no, at least…

All of our clothes were still packed away, so poor Sarah had to sit for a little while on top of a stack of napkins in wet shorts.

Ummm, never mind…
Well actually, at least Mr. Murphy didn’t go and…

In fact, one of the first sights we saw as we headed west on Colfax Ave. was the Denver Biscuit Company, just a few blocks down.

Ummm…. Never mind.

So Mark gets upset when I don't comment. So I'll comment and point out an error in his Trip Report before we even get to the second chapter.

Well, he does have an image that he has to maintain here.

On the way out we had David with us and Sarah and Scotty sat by themselves.

Not an insignificant detail there.

This is important because 1) David was feeling "left out"

I can see that…
Being demoted is tough enough, but being demoted downward from “middle child”, though

Dave is a great kid, and will do whatever you ask him to, but he doesn't have that "intuition" thing yet......for example.....hmmmm....mommy is wrestling Drew, maybe how's not a good time to ask her for a piece of gum.

Yep…
He could benefit from a nice big healthy dose of “Common”.

Another piece of information to point out is that in addition to wanting to steal hash browns at breakfast, Drew also got A LOT of orange juice from his sister.

Thanks for the warning.
I think I’ll swap seats with one of the kids.

Another piece of information to point out is that in addition to wanting to steal hash browns at breakfast, Drew also got A LOT of orange juice from his sister. That will come into play later. Like in the next chapter of the Trip Report.

Great to see you posting!! And I am already scared about what became of that orange juice!!!

Oh - and I love your avatar!!!

It was the best of plans,
it was the worst of plans.

And we had a 17-month-old toddler with us who would be sitting on our laps for the duration of the 4-hour flight. What could possibly go wrong?

:sad2:

The plan abides.

We’re trying to get to all 50 states as a family

I like that goal.
Show the kids where they live. ::yes::
Made me wonder how many I'd been to.
I counted and I think I'm right... 20.

Nope. I paid for four... and that was bad enough!

At the beginning of this trip, the elder three kids had been to 28 states.

Impressive.

So the plan was this: wake up at the butt crack of dawn, or 4:00 a.m. Be on the road by 4:30 a.m.

Tight schedule. You must have everyone pretty much organized the night before.
What am I saying! 4am... that is night!

and hope the baby is so tired he falls asleep during the flight so we don’t become THAT FAMILY WITH THE ANNOYING BABY on the plane.

Meh. Everyone was a baby at some point.
They cry sometimes (especially if their ears hurt).
Whatya gonna do.

::yes::

The Second Law of Airports states that our gate will always be the very last one at the end of the row.

I find this law is in indirect proportion to the number of times you fly.

I'm pretty sure that all babies are reincarnated thieves and pick-pockets.
Always grabbing.

Pretty sure.

There's that sinking feeling in your gut.

Around 7:25, the captain’s voice came over the intercom to tell us there had been a mixup and the plane had taken on too much fuel. So they had to have the truck come over to pump some fuel out before we could depart.

Did you worry... maybe just a little... that since they made a mistake by putting too much in... that maybe, just maybe... they might take too much out?

See: Gimli Glider

Baby Drew pushed away from Julie and crawled over onto my lap.

I see what you did there! :thumbsup2

Meanwhile, Baby Drew fell asleep on my lap.

Awww..... Cute while it lasts. :rolleyes:

I told Julie I couldn’t wait for the captain to come back on the air to announce, “Well, folks, I’m sorry, but we’ve burned up so much fuel sitting here on the runway that we now need to fill the tanks back up…”

The baby was still asleep, so I could enjoy my rare time in the window seat (usually the kids take it) and take in the view of our great nation from above.

I take it because of the sleeping bundle in your lap you couldn't stretch over and look down?

All right! Love it when a plan comes together!

Every once in a while, he would get tired of being cooped up on our laps and fuss a bit. At one point, I got up and walked the aisle with him just to change the scenery.

Any cute flight attendants fuss over him?
Babies and dogs man. Babies and dogs.

And I still have no idea how he changed the background screen on my iPad.

:laughing:

I’d forgotten how exciting it feels the first time the Rocky Mountains become visible.

::yes:: Had that same feeling a few years ago when we drove to them.

If only he knew how much we were going to abuse that poor vehicle.

Uh, oh.

Reminds me of when I rented a van.
My company has a rate with the rental company which includes unlimited miles.
The renter was quite proud of the fact that the van only had less than 70 kilometers on it.
When I brought it back, there was a new girl at the counter.
She asked me for the odometer reading. I told her I had unlimited miles.
She said she still needed it. (Probably didn't, but it was her first night.)
So I told her: "Six thousand, seven hundred." (Might be off by a little bit. Probably a bit more.)

The look on her face was priceless.

Sarah grabbed her cup of Cherry Coke and shoved her straw through the lid…and also straight through the bottom of the cup. Within seconds, she was sitting in a puddle of Cherry Coke, in the rental van we’d barely had for an hour.

Oh boy. Great start to the vacation!

And she was wearing white shorts.

Well of course she was. You didn't even have to say it.
If she hadn't been, then she never would've had the mess in the first place.

so poor Sarah had to sit for a little while on top of a stack of napkins in wet shorts.

I bet she was thrilled!

Thanks for the update! :goodvibes

And we had a 17-month-old toddler with us who would be sitting on our laps for the duration of the 4-hour flight. What could possibly go wrong?
:eek: Good luck.

Why were we doing this to ourselves? Well, we take a vacation every year. It’s the biggest annual event we look forward to as a family, and we really enjoy seeing the country. We’re trying to get to all 50 states as a family—not because it means anything in particular, but more as a way to try and experience all of the diverse wonders and attractions that the country has to offer.
I love that you guys make a point to do this for your kids (and yourselves). Those memories and experiences will always stick with them.

Around 7:25, the captain’s voice came over the intercom to tell us there had been a mixup and the plane had taken on too much fuel. So they had to have the truck come over to pump some fuel out before we could depart. We settled into our seats to wait for them to finish.
:sad2: Of course.

Meanwhile, Baby Drew fell asleep on my lap.
:thumbsup2 But I totally understand about the precious baby sleep time ticking away while you waited to take off.

Any parent knows that toddlers have the same attention span as a housefly that took a sip from an espresso.
::yes::

Within seconds, she was sitting in a puddle of Cherry Coke, in the rental van we’d barely had for an hour. And she was wearing white shorts.
Aw, poor kid!

Sorry you missed out on some of your plans (and back-up dining plans).

Looking forward to more!

looking about normal so far

Seen this once or twice, have you?:rolleyes:

Ah, the Philly airport experience! I love to hate that airport. I've never taken off on time there. Glad you survived Baby Drew on the flight.

I don't recall having any huge problems there before, other than it seems like the place is always cramped and some part of it is under construction.

Did you know that Colfax is the longest continuously named street in the country? Just a little Denver trivia for you!

I did not know that. You learn something new everyday.

Poor Sarah and the soda! That stinks!

Yeah, I don't think she enjoyed it. Or enjoyed me poking fun at her.:rolleyes1

Too bad you missed the Denver Biscuit Company..I've heard its great but I haven't been there yet.

It looked cool! Chick Fil-A is not a bad alternative, but it would have been fun to try the local place.

Dun dun DUNNNNNNNN.........

Seen this once or twice, have you?:rolleyes:

Heck, I can't afford it for myself! I just happen to have found a job that will pay for it.

Lucky you! I'm in the wrong line of work.

Pretty impressive. I've hit 20, but it's taken me 24 years.

I'm at 49! I just need Alaska. But I'm letting the rest of the fam catch up with me.

True story, on the flight back from Munich, when I had an upper respiratory infection and really just wanted to sleep, there were FOUR babies around me. Four. And every time one started crying, the others would follow. Even Nyquil couldn't beat that.

That sounds brutal. I try to be sympathetic with the other parents. We've all been there before.

I always wonder how this happens. Clearly, the pump doesn't have the auto shut-off that 99.9% of regular gas stations have. You'd think they could install one.

I never thought having more fuel than you need was a problem, myself.

Looks like my view from Mt. Pilatus

Gorgeous! :rotfl2:

So you had that going for you

Which was nice.:thumbsup2

I love Siennas! That's what my mom has had for the last 15 years. Lots of Disney trips on that van.

We liked it a lot. It'll be in the running for our next van...

See, three days after we bought our brand new Toyota Sienna, my friend spilled her milkshake in the backseat. It must be the law of Siennas, along with the one that says all owned Siennas will have a dent in their tailgate.

I wish I'd known about that! Then it wouldn't have been so surprising.

Tacky Tourist Shop? I can hardly wait!

They never fail for entertainment!

Flight delays are annoying, especially one caused by too much fuel. What where they thinking? That the plane was going to fly to Europe? How can that happen??

Who knows?:confused3 I'm sure things like that happen. I didn't think it would be much of an issue if we had more fuel than we needed, but I understand the weight of the plane is very important in these situations.

So sorry for Sarah! I will take note that Chick-Fil-A has very flimsy paper cup if a teenage girl can destroy them with a straw! I will be double carefully if we end up eating there this summer in California! At least she was slightly better off than the Japanese guy who was once sitting next to me on a flight from London to Frankfurt who ended up with the beer for the third person in our row on him as the plane did a sudden jump when the flight attendant passed out the drinks. He had to get a connecting flight to Tokyo from Frankfurt - soaked in beer!

They have styrofoam cups there. I don't know what happened except that Sarah just used too much force or something. And yes, at least Coke smells better than beer!

So Mark gets upset when I don't comment. So I'll comment and point out an error in his Trip Report before we even get to the second chapter. On the way out we had David with us and Sarah and Scotty sat by themselves. This is important because 1) David was feeling "left out" (????) of the family so we let him sit with us 2) Sarah and Scotty watched some videos together and then talked about them once we had the rental car (see point 1) and 3) Dave is a great kid, and will do whatever you ask him to, but he doesn't have that "intuition" thing yet......for example.....hmmmm....mommy is wrestling Drew, maybe how's not a good time to ask her for a piece of gum.

I also get upset when the only comments are corrections to my inevitable mistakes. So yes, David sat next to us on the flight out.

But orange juice is good for you, right?

Loved the Sienna! Sorry that it got cherry coke on it!

That's not all we got on it.:rolleyes1

Ah, we love PHL! The crappy luggage retrieval and the really long hallways to everything.

Well, it was 45 minutes from my house. Trying to think of positives here.

Sorry to hear of the delays. Poor Sarah. I bet one of my kids would have done that. Yeah, ask how my DS wearing his expensive Nike white shorts got black ink spots on them the first day wearing them. Ahhh kids.

We were just getting the hiccups out of the way early. Yeah, let's go with that.

Good start. The only time I was in Denver was near Christmas, so I packed warm clothes. It was oddly in the 70s, so I had to buy some short sleeve shirts. And, happily, some of my coworkers went up the mountains to ski. Day before we are to leave, Christmas Eve, and the road is closed to get down from the mountains. Needless to say, only some of us were home for Christmas.

:scared1: Everything was sounding great until the whole "trapped in the mountains" part.

Your coworkers are probably still stuck on I-70 trying to get back to town.

::yes:: Or I-25. That road was going to be the death of me.

Don't tell anyone our winters are nice! They are horrible, bitter cold, and blizzards! Stay away from Colorado! Don't move here! (LOL)

Will do! Thanks for the tip!

Hey....wait a minute...

That's pretty impressive! I think I've only been to 29, and I'm probably older than all of them added together!

It helps living on the East Coast where it's a lot easier to pick up a bunch of states at once!

I guess when you travel to places other than MCO out of the same airport you get to learn about new airports and locations of their ticket counters....

Doesn't matter. We'll always have to walk the length of the building, no matter where it is.

Wouldn't you rather have too much fuel than too little?

Gorgeous, isn't it?

Well, I guess you have THAT going for you....

Which is nice.:thumbsup2

Smart, that Julie is!

Everybody always says that, but why did she marry me?:confused3

I've found that just about every major US city has traffic, and I would guess that the rules of travel would say that if you are trying to get somewhere, you get stuck in it.

Probably true. But I've also found that most cities aren't too bad if you aren't driving at rush hour. There are just a few that are terrible all the time. I never heard of Denver being one of them.

I never trust the GPS, they don't know anything....

Well, we didn't have any newfangled smartphones to rely on either.

Of course.

Well at least you arrived in one piece with all your luggage and we haven't had a poop story. Yet.

Ah, but the day is still young!:rotfl2:

Red October

+1:thumbsup2

My but this sounds familiar…

Doesn't it, though?

I don’t really feel like typing quite that much at this particular time, so…
We’ll just sit back and watch this one unfold.

Deja vu all over again.

The Big Lebowski

+1:thumbsup2

I can’t even do the tickets to Denver for three.

Well, leave that third one at home.

I think that the “butt crack” is closer to 5am.
4am is “before the rooster pisses”.
But both of them are considered to be “Stupid O’clock”

I need a flowchart or something.

Nice description.
May need to pick that one up.

Thanks...I think I've used that one before somewhere.

So y’all are the ones that wrote that one up.
You need to go back and redraft that bit of legislation
(and all its miserable corollaries).

I didn't write it. I just live it every time we travel.

Like that one.

Forgot to mention that when we landed in Denver, we parked at the gate furthest from the terminal.:sad2:

Like I said earlier…
He’s got an absolute grasp on his assigned roll in this comedy of errors.

I'll forgive a lot of things, but don't mess with my hash browns.

Third law of Oblivious Travelling?

Is that all we're up to? Feels like there should be more.

Looks like your view the one time you had the window in Hawaii.

This one was much better. I could see the wing.

Well the plan covered one eighth of the flight time at least.
So you got that going for you.

Which is nice.:thumbsup2

You’d think she was a veteran at child rearing or some such thing.
Oh, wait…

Good to see we've learned a few tricks over the years.

Sorry ‘bout that one.
Too bad.

There's a reason we didn't buy the tickets in advance.

Good plan… I like it.

:thumbsup2

They are surprisingly good about that.

Costco has saved me a bunch of money just over the last 3 trips.

Will be filling that one away for future reference.

Watch out for I-25.

Having to shift to several different Plan-Bs here.

Highlighting the importance of being flexible, even for hyper-planners like me!

Murphy was working overtime this morning.
About the only thing that might have made that worse would have been…

Never mind…

Well no, at least…

Ummm, never mind…
Well actually, at least Mr. Murphy didn’t go and…

Ummm…. Never mind.

So it was a lousy run there, is what you're saying.

Well, he does have an image that he has to maintain here.

:sad2:

Not an insignificant detail there.

I dunno, did it really affect the story?

I can see that…
Being demoted is tough enough, but being demoted downward from “middle child”, though

It builds character.

Yep…
He could benefit from a nice big healthy dose of “Common”.

It's not so common.

Thanks for the warning.
I think I’ll swap seats with one of the kids.

:rolleyes1

Could have been worse, you could be flying out of MIA. Worst airport on the planet including many third world nations.

Good start. Look at it this way, no one injured.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter