• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

rock'n'roller coaster 'n' motion sickness

KJHawley

Mouseketeer
I'm prone to motion sickness, & have avoided some rides at WDW in the past. I love Space Mountain and Thunder Mountain - they're just fast enough to make me a little woozy afterwards, but not really sick, & only for a few minutes. Expedition Everest was perhaps a little too much, but I could definitely do it again. For some reason, rides like Star Tours, Indy, and Dinosaur used to bug me - I think it was the seat belts. I've learned to brace my feet on the floor & hang on with those, and now I'm okay. Never even considered Mission: Space on Orange. No way.

The last time I was at HS, we did ToT, and that was too much. We got in line for the Rock'n'Roller coaster, but even after half an hour in line I was still so ill from ToT (all the repeated ups and downs) that I just couldn't face RNR. So, how bad would it have been? For those of you with motion sickness, how does it compare with other Disney coasters?

I'm prone to motion sickness, & have avoided some rides at WDW in the past. I love Space Mountain and Thunder Mountain - they're just fast enough to make me a little woozy afterwards, but not really sick, & only for a few minutes. Expedition Everest was perhaps a little too much, but I could definitely do it again. For some reason, rides like Star Tours, Indy, and Dinosaur used to bug me - I think it was the seat belts. I've learned to brace my feet on the floor & hang on with those, and now I'm okay. Never even considered Mission: Space on Orange. No way.

The last time I was at HS, we did ToT, and that was too much. We got in line for the Rock'n'Roller coaster, but even after half an hour in line I was still so ill from ToT (all the repeated ups and downs) that I just couldn't face RNR. So, how bad would it have been? For those of you with motion sickness, how does it compare with other Disney coasters?

If you can ride the other coasters you can ride RnR. If it gets to be too much just close your eyes, it's a very quick ride.

I'm a motion sickness sufferer (boats tend to get the worst of me!). I have tried to do (and not felt well after) motion simulator rides such as Star Tours and Mission: Space (green side!). I rode the ferry from the TTC to MK when I was 12...never again!!! I don't think I could stomach (pun intended) ToT. However, I didn't have any problems at all with RnRC. The restraint there is an overhead restraint that pulls down over your shoulders. It's a little hard to explain but I'm sure there are pictures online somewhere. There isn't a belt that goes over your stomach area, IIRC.

Hope this information is helpful.

Do you take anything for it? The last time we went I had developed vertigo and RnRc made me pretty woozy. Before the next ride I took some Bonine and it was a lot better!

I get queasy just thinking about Star Tours. I'm fine on all of the roller coasters. RnRC is over SO fast, and there really aren't a lot of repetitive motions that might trigger nausea- at least IMO.

Do you take anything for it? The last time we went I had developed vertigo and RnRc made me pretty woozy. Before the next ride I took some Bonine and it was a lot better!

I haven't taken Bonine in the parks. I take it on the plane one the way there, and it pretty much knocks me out (even though it's supposed to be non-drowsy), so I'd hesitate to take it in the parks for fear of falling asleep in line...

I get queasy just thinking about Star Tours. I'm fine on all of the roller coasters. RnRC is over SO fast, and there really aren't a lot of repetitive motions that might trigger nausea- at least IMO.

That's good to hear. Like I said, rides like Star Tours used to make me queasy, and I just BARELY survived Indy the first time. Since then, I find that it helps if I spread my feet wide apart, grab the handle in front of me with both hands - almost as if I'm trying to squat or stand instead of just sitting. That way, it's more like I'm "ride surfing" instead of being thrown around at the ride's will. I find that I'm less queasy on Star Tours now, even with the new 3D, and Indy doesn't bother me at all.

Imagine 3 seconds of high-g acceleration. Makes you feel like your head is going upside down, then you actually do.

Ride it if you want, but please do so on an empty stomach...or sit in the back.

My dad is proan to motion sickness and has vertigo but had no problems with RNR...I would say go for it. My dad can ride all Disney coasters without problems.

Imagine 3 seconds of high-g acceleration. Makes you feel like your head is going upside down, then you actually do.

Ride it if you want, but please do so on an empty stomach...or sit in the back.

So we're at 3 "yes" votes and 1 "no". Hmmm....

I get terrible motion sickness and never ride Star Tours, Space Mountain, or Everest. And all of those rides like Soaring make me really sick. But I can do the Rock and Roll Roller Coaster as long as I keep my eyes closed. If I can't see that I'm going upside down, then I'm fine. :)

I get terrible motion sickness. I can't turn around in a moving vehicle without getting nausea. I can ride all of the WDW roller coasters including RnR without any problems (ane Everest even though it goes backward), but I can't ride any of the simulator rides (Star Tours, Mission Space, Sum of All Thrills). So my vote is yes if you can ride Space Mtn, you can ride RnR.

I can get nasty motion sickness too, but I can keep it very well controlled with dramamine. usually the non-drowsy is fine, but I do get a dry mouth. as long as I take that every 4-6 hours and stay well hydrated I can do everything except mission space.

It seems like every time I ride RnR it gets a little worse for me. ToT makes me a little green, but I love it and I just can't stay away.

I have vertigo and get very motion sick. Because I was afraid of getting sick, I had avoided RnRc for 7 years straight until our last trip. I just had to try it, and I'm so glad I did. It did not bother me at all. In fact, I can't wait to get back to WDW so I can ride it again! Now, I will say I started Bonine at night about a week earlier. Bonine doesn't make me sleepy but once I go to sleep, I feel groggy when I wake up. That feeling wears off in about a week. That's why I start the nightly routine about a week before my trip. The 12-hour car ride bothers me more than RnRc which is really a quick ride!

I have vertigo and get very motion sick. Because I was afraid of getting sick, I had avoided RnRc for 7 years straight until our last trip. I just had to try it, and I'm so glad I did. It did not bother me at all. In fact, I can't wait to get back to WDW so I can ride it again! Now, I will say I started Bonine at night about a week earlier. Bonine doesn't make me sleepy but once I go to sleep, I feel groggy when I wake up. That feeling wears off in about a week. That's why I start the nightly routine about a week before my trip. The 12-hour car ride bothers me more than RnRc which is really a quick ride!

I hadn't thought about taking Bonine ahead of time, what a great idea! We frequent DL more often than WDW, and I have noticed that I'm much less prone to motion sickness at DL after flying there & taking Bonine for the flight. Good idea!

I am very prone to motion sickeness as well and find that Bonine (generic is Meclizine) works very well for me. Works up to 24 hours and doesn't make me sleepy.

Dramamine (geneiric is Dimenhydrinate) works well but does make most people sleepy and only works 4-6 hours,

A tip - Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) works well, too. Dimenhydramine (Dramamine) actually turns into Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) in the body.

I'm very susceptible to motion sickness and to answer your question; NO. No problem with motion sickness at all. The ride doesn't spin in any way. It has a few inversions that you barely notice because the ride is so smooth and fast. I can't ride the Teacups, or Triceratops Spin and I have to shut my eyes during many portions of Mission Space and Star Wars, but I can ride R'nR all day long.

Herfnerd said:
I am very prone to motion sickeness as well and find that Bonine (generic is Meclizine) works very well for me. Works up to 24 hours and doesn't make me sleepy.

Dramamine (geneiric is Dimenhydrinate) works well but does make most people and only works 4-6 hours,

A tip - Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) works well, too. Dimenhydramine (Dramamine) actually turns into Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) in the body.

Thanks for that information.

I get motion sickness on simulators. I haven't tried any at wdw because of the fear of making myself sick. I did ride rockin roller coaster the last time we were there and had mild motion sickness after getting off, it was more of a headache from my had bouncing back and fourth between the seat restraint. I also had mild motion sickness after getting off tot to the point of resting while everyone went again. Then I was fine by time they got back.

I would ride them both again though... I just know it would only be once at a time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter