Rockin' Rollercoaster-Boy Dies

jiminy8

DIS Veteran
So yeah the seventh death since the 2004 Christmas season. This isn't good. Today a 12 year old boy died. I feel really bad for the family and the Disney company. This has to be hard for them.

Just heard on the Trip Stratagies board. Prayers for his family and the Disney Company.

The parents are probably blaming Disney for his death, right? :sad2: How did he die?

Prayers and pixie dust for his family pixiedust:

That's so horrible. There's a link to the story on the CB.

the link doesn't work.
i have the story here.

Boy, 12, dies after Disney roller coaster ride
Updated Thu. Jun. 29 2006 5:14 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

A 12-year-old boy died Thursday after riding a roller coaster at the Disney MGM theme park in Orlando, Florida.

A statement from Disney MGM said the boy died after riding Rock 'n Roller Coaster at about 11:30 a.m.

No cause of death has been announced yet.

"After the ride, he went limp, his father immediately initiated CPR," Orange County sheriff's office department Jim Solomon told CTV Newsnet, adding that theme park employees were quick to offer their assistance.

"(The boy) was transported to the nearby celebration hospital where at some point he was pronounced dead," he said.

The theme park said a preliminary investigation show the Rock 'n' Roller Coaster was operating normally.

"In the past, all deaths at Walt Disney World have been attributed to a prior medical condition of the rider or the rider not following the rules of the attraction," Disney MGM said in a statement.

Disney's website description of the ride says it can zoom from zero to 97 kilometres "with the force of a supersonic F-14, take in high-speed loops and turns synchronized to a specially recorded Aerosmith soundtrack."

Two other people have died after going on another Disney ride that stimulates a rocket launch and trip to Mars -- Epcot's "Mission: Space."

The attraction simulates twice the normal force of gravity.

Four-year-old Daudi Bamuwamye of Sellersville, Pa., died June 13, 2005 after going on the ride.

An autopsy showed he died of an irregular heartbeat linked to an abnormal thickening of the heart muscle that can cause sudden death.

In February, a 77-year-old woman with diabetes and other ailments died at Disney World after riding the Pirates of the Caribbean attraction.

And in April, a 49-year-old woman from Germany became ill and died after riding the Epcot attraction.

A medical examiner's report said she died from bleeding of the brain and had severe high blood pressure.

There are signs posted at "Mission: Space" to warn visitors with regard to blood pressure, heart, back and neck problems and motion sickness, and suggesting you be in "good health." Signs also warn pregnant women not to go on the ride.

Epcot now offers a tamer version of the ride that does not include centrifugal force.

With files from The Associated Press

This really is terrible. I feel awful for both sides here, both the boy's family and for Disney. I've never heard of someone dying after going on the PotC ride though. That struck me as very odd. Perhaps it had to do with the "diabetes and other ailments."

It did.

and like the Misson Space thing, it was probably some sort of health condition. my brother is in perfect health, and like most of you, have been on both Mission Space & R'NR numerous times.

Babyjustrun said:
It did.

and like the Misson Space thing, it was probably some sort of health condition. my brother is in perfect health, and like most of you, have been on both Mission Space & R'NR numerous times.
The person who died on mission space had a heart problem.

that's what i'm saying.
i really honestly don't believe it was the ride itself, there must have been something wrong with the boy.

what a way to die.. you go to the happiest place on earth to have fun, and you die & your family wouldn't be able to look at Disney the same way again.

why does Michael Russell sound familiar?

yes, it does say anyone with heart problems or anyother kind of problem should not ride this ride. I think that's the first sign that you see on the RNRC, b4 the queve/line. How sad for someone to die that young. :sad2:

mmhmm. half the time you don't if you have one or not.
i wanted to get on RNR this year, but as i've previously mentioned, the first time i felt ill and the second, i didn't feel the need. but the heart thing gets to me, i've never experienced any problems but as my dad says: Darned if you, darned if you don't.

Babyjustrun said:
mmhmm. half the time you don't if you have one or not.
i wanted to get on RNR this year, but as i've previously mentioned, the first time i felt ill and the second, i didn't feel the need. but the heart thing gets to me, i've never experienced any problems but as my dad says: Darned if you, darned if you don't.
When I went on after I felt Dizzy. I didn't throw up or anything. I lost my balance. It's a cool ride though.

that happens to me on every ride. i'm not dizzy persay, my hands get all numb with that 'beany' feeling and have a hard time walking.
but that's just because i'm not a thrill ride enthusiast and freak myself out before rides.

i can't find any new information. other than they needed a defibrillator {sp?} and they didn't have one. i have.. like.. two letters!
BS!
Disney has AED's EVERYWHERE!

They are in our prayers.

I do not think this is Disneys fault. Thousands of people ride these rides with no problems.

BUT... why dont I ever hear about this happening at Cedar Point, Kennywood, Geauga lake, Six Flags....ect....???

probably because they're not quite as respected as Disney.
Disney is a LARGE corporation with theme parks all over the world. it's a company that owns the characters everybody grew up on.

Cedar Point and Six Flags mean nothing to me (besides the point that i live in Canada) they're just theme parks.

I've been in wdw when deaths occur. (Everyone remember the poor girl on TOT last summer? I was in MGM that day and rode tot twice I think.) my mom actually told the cm on duty that she didn't want to ride it because she thought she'd have a heart attack. the cm said, "oh don't be silly. no one's died yet!" we left the park and then my grandma called my mom freaking out because she thought I was on the ride when it happened.

Walt Disney World was not at fault. Neither was this boy or that girl. It was just an accident that no one knew would happen. and it just happened to happen in wdw.

i didn't know someone died.
i heard of the cardiac arrest, but nothing more. they said that she lived, but was seriously injured (okay.. heart problems) for months afterwards.

Whoa, all these deaths in WDW are really terrible, my goodness. Prayers said for this boy and his family. Wow :sad2:

Thats very sad. Maybe they'll do something similar to an autopsy and find out what kind of heart (if that) problem occured! :guilty: I'm sending prayers to his family!

it's not definately a heart thing. it could have been multiple things in him.
they said an autopsy will be done as EARLY as friday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter