Rock-n-Roller Coaster preshow digitally altered?!?

And the gesture meant in the lewd way would not be done against the forehead anyway, you can tell it wasn't meant that way in the video. So silly. The busybody prudes have won again.

They have more altering to do. Steven gives the American OK symbol (forefinger and thumb together) at least twice in the pre-show. Somebody might take offense at that too.

I have an even better idea. Get rid of the stupid pre-shows on everything so that we can just get on the ride and enjoy it instead of waiting 30 minutes to stand in a room for five minutes before finally getting on the ride.

The Shocker wasn't even a thing 17 years ago. It has only been around about half that time, from everything I can find.

I don't know why people are freaking out about this change. I don't think the hand sign is offensive. But it's clearly very sexual. And so it seems pretty reasonable that when Disney realizes a sexual symbol is there, they'd change it. Imagine if they noticed after a number of years that someone was flicking the audience the bird. Not a huge deal - not really offensive, per se, but they'd clearly go in and get rid of it.

I don't know why people are freaking out about this change. I don't think the hand sign is offensive. But it's clearly very sexual. And so it seems pretty reasonable that when Disney realizes a sexual symbol is there, they'd change it. Imagine if they noticed after a number of years that someone was flicking the audience the bird. Not a huge deal - not really offensive, per se, but they'd clearly go in and get rid of it.

Clearly very sexual? A Prithvi Mudra? Moreso than the "OK" symbol, which means much worse in a lot of cultures? He uses that at least *twice* in the pre-show. Maybe they should just digitally replace his hands with persimmons. Nobody gets offended by persimmons.

That hand position has been around for a long, long, long time.

jesusstnick-300x209.jpg

Clearly very sexual? A Prithvi Mudra? Moreso than the "OK" symbol, which means much worse in a lot of cultures? He uses that at least *twice* in the pre-show. Maybe they should just digitally replace his hands with persimmons. Nobody gets offended by persimmons.

jesusstnick-300x209.jpg

If you think he was intending to make a religious symbol and not one about putting various fingers into various female orifices, I have a bridge to sell you. It's not like they closed a ride. They changed his hand. Who cares?

If you think he was intending to make a religious symbol and not one about putting various fingers into various female orifices, I have a bridge to sell you. It's not like they closed a ride. They changed his hand. Who cares?

EXCEPT - he's not throwing "The Shocker." Not with the relaxed position is hand is in. This is just stupid. Because of Disney's overreaction, a lot more people today know about the shocker than did last week. :sad2:

Yes, the Prithvi Mudra is practiced in yoga to strengthen the body, relieve fatigue, and build self-confidence. I agree that hand gestures have different meanings in different cultures and contexts. Do I think he was practicing the Prithvi Mudra.... maybe, maybe not. Is this gesture inherently sexual, vulgar, or offensive... definitely not.

EXCEPT - he's not throwing "The Shocker." Not with the relaxed position is hand is in. This is just stupid. Because of Disney's overreaction, a lot more people today know about the shocker than did last week. :sad2:

If anything is stupid, it's people's outrage at Disney deleting a hand sign that some people see as sexual. Fine, maybe just teenage boys would see it. Why would Disney say "oh well, we could edit it and have no negative outcome on the ride, but let's just not."?

Nah. I don't care what Disney did. I care that people seem to take rational changes moving with the times as personal affronts to "their America."

"The times". That's laughable. Wait until your own personal ox gets gored and we'll see how "the times" feel to you.

I honestly couldn't care less what they did, but I find the shrieking of a few people about "offensive hand signs" while not complaining about other hand signs laughable. "Their America" apparently doesn't find offense at hand signals that are rude in other cultures. Typical Americans.

If you can't figure it out, I'm not about to try and explain it to you.

BTW, those three capitalized letters you used are offensive to some as well, but that's none of my business.

I'm a random guy on a message board. I don't have to decide whether a potentially offensive term might be a bad business decision. Disney has other motivations for its actions.

My point about moving forward with the times is that I'm glad that it's generally not accepted to call people the n-word or the f-word. Those that complain about "Oh Disney is just bowing to PC pressure" are luddites. They are making a business decision. And it's not an affront to culture to take out a hand symbol that may be offensive. I never said that it's Disney's obligation to remove every hand signal that may or may not be offensive to any person. But that they are making a simple decision that they think is best for their business.

Lets remain civil guys and stay within the posting guidelines. The topic at hand was that Disney digitally altered the pre-show and took out a hand gesture. I do not want to have to close the thread.

I always marvel at how the Pure of Heart even know about this sort of thing. I'm a reasonably hip Senior Citizen, spent lots of time in Low Places over the years, and I had to have one of my daughters 'splain this to me. Do they print these things in the church bulletin? Maybe I should return to the flock so as not to miss out on the goodies. I recall the tales of Sodom and Gomorrah in Sunday School, couldn't wait to go away to college to see what that was all about. And while we're at it, what might Gomorrahy be? And where can I get me some?

Bill From PA

Over the years I have enjoyed most of your posts. But with this one, nice job of using a broad paint brush here on those who are people that enjoy church and stereotyping them. Perhaps the person(s) who complained to Disney was actually an exotic dancer or a rather "hip senior citizen" rather than a Sunday School teacher or the church secretary. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter