Road Warrior Poll: How far did you drive to get to Disneyworld/Disneyland last trip?

How many miles did you drive (one way) to get there?

• 0-50

Votes: 17 14.8%
  • >50

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • >150

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • >500

Votes: 34 29.6%
  • >1000

Votes: 51 44.3%
  • >2000

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Stargazer65

Disney Honorary Bus Driver since 2009
Automobiles only, no planes, no trains. How many miles was your trip? How many days to get there? Any stand-out or favorite stopping points along the way?

For us, over 1200 miles from CT to WDW, 3 days travel. Sleepover at Ocean City, MD, walk the boardwalk, Thrasher's Fries. Drive Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. Get southern food or BBQ somewhere, sleepover in Santee, SC. Bojangles Biscuits, Citrus centers, BUC-EEE's, and welcome home!

(We did drive from CT to DL once but that was many years ago, I want to do that again someday)

From my home: 575 south and take a right. 63 miles SW and take another right. :teeth:

Leave home at 5:15am and arrive 2:30-3:30pm depending on traffic and DOTW.

Drove from the Boston area this past May and we decided to take our time since we're seniors and there is one driver. So 2 sleepovers in Fredericksburg VA and Santee SC and Santee and Alexandria VA on the return.

We're doing the same in December but with stops with 2 nights in Fredericksburg and one in Savannah and then Florence SC and Alexandria VA on the return trip.

I have to say we do catch up on a lot of things when traveling this way but I really don't like that drive from MD thru VA very much. There are always road accidents which equal delays. This past Spring we sat in traffic for 3 hours just north of Baltimore. I always cross my fingers and offer up a little prayer going through there.

Last edited:

It's aprox 1000 miles from our home in SW PA if we stick to the direct route. However, we usually stop in HHI, Charleston, Wilmington or the OBX on the way there and back. Sometimes we swing back through Nashville (yeah - WAY out of the way) to visit family as well. For years we always flew, but now that my husband is retired we often drive and really enjoy the flexibility of having a car. It's really not a bad drive.

We drove on our last trip this past March (about 850 miles each way). We were planning to be in Fayetteville, NC anyway, so we figured we were half the way (well, not quite :) ), we might as well drive the rest of the way.

We made some side trips on the way.

We have a favorite noodle place in Charleston, NC, (Riso Noodles https://www.risonoodlehousecharleston.com/ ) that if we have time, we stop by (it is about 30-45 mins off from I95, so it isn't exactly a quick, convenient stop).

There is a German restaurant in Sanford, FL that I have wanted to try ( https://www.hollerbachs.com/ ), so we stopped there.

On the way back we overnighted in Jacksonville close to a donut place that our son recommended (The Donut Shoppe https://www.yelp.com/biz/the-donut-shoppe-jacksonville ). The shop closes at 1pm, so up until our last visit we have never been able to time it right in order to sample the Gi-normous Apple Fritters.

We've driven to WDW from Indiana several times now. The drive is just north of 1K miles. So far we've been able to make the drive in a single day each time. The amount of time on the road has varies between 15 hours & 18 hours, with our best trip (driving time wise) involved leaving at 2 AM and arriving around 5 PM.

This past June we flew into Orlando and drove back home. It was a nice change of pace but I have to have a couple days recovery time.

I haven't driven it in about 5 years, but I used to drive it twice a year at 1132 miles. But at the cost of overnight hotel rooms, and gas, it is a lot cheaper for one or two people to fly these days.

We've driven several times from Virginia Beach, VA, but I think our driving days are over unless we are hitting up somewhere else before or after WDW. We have enough direct flight options now that the 12 hour drive just doesn't sound fun.

Providence airport to BWV straight through no stopping except for gas/restroom/snacks in about 20hrs or so? Google says about 1300 miles.

June 2021 Southwest cancelled our flight while we were en route to the airport. They couldn't get us out for two days. We were a group of 11 (including two toddlers) and decided to rent three cars and went straight from the airport. Totally unprepared, it sucked. Never again.

While flying is better. I looked for a trip we have coming up. It's $750 for the 3 of us to fly BHM-MCO. Also, there is a 1-hour drive to the airport. Parking would also have to be factored in.

Or, we could drive the 8 1/2 to 9 hours and pay about $200 in gas...

I haven't driven it in about 5 years, but I used to drive it twice a year at 1132 miles. But at the cost of overnight hotel rooms, and gas, it is a lot cheaper for one or two people to fly these days.
What does it cost to drive?

We fly 4

It's just under 1,000 miles and takes about 15 hours from home. We stop overnight in New Orleans (visit family) and in Lake City, then to WDW. We used to drive from home to Pensacola and then to WDW the second day, but our tolerance for long days in the car has waned quite a bit (and actually we prefer to fly nowadays because we're not at liberty to be gone from home as long anymore).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter