Road Trip to Colorado with small children

linze

Earning My Ears
My husband and I are planning a road trip in October to Colorado. There are so many places I'd like to visit in Colorado but don't know what will be best for the kiddos. They are 3 & 5 and this will be my first time to visit the state, as well as, their first time. I'm in need of suggestions for kid friendly places to stay and places to visit. Thank you!

What part of CO? I always wanted to do the Silverton-Durango train.

Anything west of Denver. I know that really narrows it down, but I'm unsure at this point. That's why I need advice :)

Anything west of Denver. I know that really narrows it down, but I'm unsure at this point. That's why I need advice :)

Just need to point out to you that the weather in October can be variable, especially in the mountains.

Just need to point out to you that the weather in October can be variable, especially in the mountains.

Oh, yeah I didn't catch the October part. I nearly had to detour into New Mexico to get out of CO one October. Monarch Pass closed as I was headed back down the East slope. Was planning to spend the night in CO Springs, but pressed on to Ft Hays (KS) to get out ahead of the snow :lmao:

You're running into hunting season in Oct, so that limits some destinations too.

Let's face it, the weather can be variable at any time of the year. We drove through a hailstorm last July on our way from Denver to Estes Park.

Let's face it, the weather can be variable at any time of the year. We drove through a hailstorm last July on our way from Denver to Estes Park.

True, but the hail's not likely to pile up deep enough for mandatory chains :lmao:

OP, early or late Oct? Where are you coming from?

True, but the hail's not likely to pile up deep enough for mandatory chains :lmao: OP, early or late Oct? Where are you coming from?

Second week in October. We'll be driving from NW Arkansas. They say it's about a 10-11 hr drive to Denver from here.

True, but the hail's not likely to pile up deep enough for mandatory chains :lmao: OP, early or late Oct? Where are you coming from?

Second week in Oct. We'll be driving from NW Arkansas. They say it's about a 10-11 hr drive to Denver from here.

What part of CO? I always wanted to do the Silverton-Durango train.

I did that in a July, many years ago. I don't know what my problem is, not being prepared for vacations (see my response to hiking the Grand Canyon), but it was hot as hell in Durango and then when we got into the mountains (duh!) it was so bitterly cold I nearly died. We had an open car so I froze my rear end off. But it would have been lovely and the scenery a lot nicer had I been better prepared. Silverton is such a cute town. And they got most of my money because I bought a parka for the way home. Also, the heights are quite frightening!

OP, we are planning a trip to CO to visit family with our kids, who are just a little older than yours. So I am interested in hearing responses, too. We are going to Denver area and were thinking of doing a day trip to the Royal Gorge this time. ETA: I will bundle up.

For outdoorsy stuff, my 2 choices would be Colorado Springs area and Rocky Mountain National Park. Neither close enough to Denver to use that as a base, but both less than 90 minutes out.

I would try to go to Dinosaur National Monument, for sure, and probably Mesa Verde. And I'll second the hail storms vs snow--we drove up to Yellowstone the second week of October and got stuck in southern WY for 2 days. The problem with the early snow storms is that the highways are just as likely to completely close down as they are to require chains. Give me hail any day over being stuck in a hotel room with 4 people and no way in or out of town for 2 days. :)
That said, it will more than likely be fine, but I would build as much flexibility into the plans as possible. I'd do a national park tour. If you do make it down to Colorado Springs, Garden of the Gods is a must.

I did that in a July, many years ago. I don't know what my problem is, not being prepared for vacations (see my response to hiking the Grand Canyon), but it was hot as hell in Durango and then when we got into the mountains (duh!) it was so bitterly cold I nearly died. We had an open car so I froze my rear end off. But it would have been lovely and the scenery a lot nicer had I been better prepared. Silverton is such a cute town. And they got most of my money because I bought a parka for the way home. Also, the heights are quite frightening!

OP, we are planning a trip to CO to visit family with our kids, who are just a little older than yours. So I am interested in hearing responses, too. We are going to Denver area and were thinking of doing a day trip to the Royal Gorge this time. ETA: I will bundle up.

The Durango train is very pretty, but I much prefer the Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad. That is really a long day trip that stops in the middle for lunch. It is billed as the highest narrow gauge steam railroad in the United States. It runs back and forth between Colorado and New Mexico and is jointly owned by both states in a nonprofit. It is mostly run by volunteers. The Durango train is privately owned so the money goes into someone's pocket. The Cumbres and Toltec has been featured in many movies including the circus train in one of the Indiana Jones movies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter