Road trip from Seattle to DLR - what to stop and see?

If you're on I5 in northern california (way northern) stop at the Sundial Bridge in Redding. It's awesome.

And I would not take a road trip to southern CA wo stopping in Solvang (hwy 101), or taking in 17 mile drive (Pebble Beach)

GrandBob - I had no idea. It is really hard when you have no idea of the area what kind of time to allow. I couldn't tell how much time it takes to navigate YNP. All I found was info about tours that didn't seem too long. I was thinking we could drive to Merced for sat night, then according to AAA it is 1 hr 50 min to YosVillage, then I was thinking 4-5 hours in the park, then heading to Anaheim. We have 2 young girls so big hikes are out for us. I didn't realize it was a multiple day excursion. I had hoped to be able to experience it on our trip down. Hmmm mm.....

Yes, I understand the difficulties of planning a trip without enough information. Actually, I think you could have some fun with one day in Yosemite. But it would have to be a full day, staying overnight; not just a few hours.

I had to laugh at your comment about finding shorter tours. That was the same thing that my wife's uncle found! :lmao: I do get irritated at tour operators that advertise this stuff. I also run into those that claim places like Mariposa are "the gateway to Yosemite". Yeah, if you like spending your vacation in a car.

That AAA estimate from Merced is optimistic. Google puts it at over 2 hours. But the road after Mariposa is twisty, turny, and not fun for little ones. When I get done taking 140 down the Merced River canyon, I need to get out of the car for several hours and just walk. It's hard, both on the driver and the passengers.

Then, you're in Yosemite Valley, with some beautiful things to see, including the waterfalls. The colors in October should be fantastic. But you want to see more than that. Personally, I think the most spectacular view you can get is from Glacier Point, overlooking the valley. But that's an hour's drive from the valley, and an hour back. You could also go see the high country - about 1 1/2 hours each way. Or, you could stay in the valley and hike; Vernal Falls would be nice. But you said you didn't want to do that, though the "trail" is mostly paved, and probably not too bad for your little ones.

Then, when you're done with all that, you want to get into your car and drive another 6 1/2 hours to Anaheim? The first hour or two of which is also mountainous roads? There's no way that I'd be up for that.

Sorry, I didn't mean to come down hard on you for your question :flower3: If you had said you wanted to spend a day and night in Yosemite, and then drive to DLR the next day, I would have thought OK, a little too much driving, but doable if you're really motivated. But all in one day? I wouldn't do it.

BTW, if you do decide to do it, I'd stay in Modesto and take 120 to Yosemite. It's about 20 minutes farther away (according to Google). But the road is not nearly as twisty. It's also a little higher, so you're seeing nice pine forests rather than stark granite canyon walls. Or even, find a little motel in Oakdale. That would be the same distance as Merced, but on a better road.

HTH,
Bob

You could swing by Centralia and pick me up. I'd be happy to be your guide :rotfl2:

October: Weather could be difficult through mountains, depending on how the weather patterns arrive this coming Fall. Just something to keep in mind. Plus, you know rain will be your driving companion through WA and OR.

Seriously, we've driven I-5 to CA with kids, and remember it is a longggg drive. We've returned coming up the coast, and 101 is a twisty road with lots of cliffs. If either of your kids get car sick, it's a no go.

Places we stopped for a short break (an hour or so): Look for signs for fish hatcheriers near the major rivers. Somewhere in Northern Ca was one that had a beautiful park.

We stopped at a couple little museums. With google and cell phones you can locate ahead of time, but we just followed road signs.

Sacremento used to have a huge maze. Anybody know if it is still there?

Sacremento also had a very awesome train museum.

Can't think of anything else, other than flying. After my last trip back home with kids, I was done with driving it (with kids). Going is fine. Returning, when the excitement is gone and the fatigue has set in, well, not so fine.

When traveling in October you need to keep in mind that the mountain passes can close at any time due to snow. So if you are planning on taking HWY 120 (Tioga Pass) from the east side of the sierra (HWY 395) to the west side to enter Yosemite Valley, and the pass is closed your plans could be canceled as there chances are the other passes in the area (HWY 108 Sonora Pass) will also be closed.

I would suggest taking hwy 1/101 from the Oregon boarder to Monterey. You will see the California Redwoods, and if still available there are trees that you can drive through. In Monterey you can check out the aquarium, visit Point Lobos, and stopp to play at Dennis the Menace Park. Of course you could always change plans and visit San Francisco and visit Alcatraz and Fisherman's Wharf.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter